can't register? or can't log in?

Report any problems you have having with this website here. Anonymous posting is allowed.
styxlawyer

Re: can't register? or can't log in?

Postby styxlawyer » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:33 am

We have the forum set so that any new user has to click on a link in an email to verify their address which cuts out the robots with fictitious email addresses. Also, all posts by any new user are hidden until one is approved. They normally try to post several and then send notifications asking for approval, but the phpBB mod tools are really help at deleting bulk messages, so it's not a huge problem.

It can take several hours some days. Most of them seem to be advertising Vi@gr@ etc, so I guess someone is paying them to waste my time.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:35 am

Several hours??!! OMG! Something's very wrong there! Yes, I do believe people are paid to disseminate spam. Those are the really clever ones :twisted:

There was a time in this forum, when I spent 30 to 45 minutes daily, deleting spam. But the admin made some kind of change, I don't know what it was, but it cut the spam by about 80 to 90%! So I know it doesn't have to be like that. The last time I was actively moderating here, I probably spent 5 to 15 minutes a day deleting spam.

Since I don't know much about phpBB forums, I couldn't say exactly what might help. But if you wanted to pass on a tip to your admin, tell them to look for mods for Stop Forum Spam (https://stopforumspam.com/), and Bad Behavior (http://bad-behavior.ioerror.us)

Although my forum is much smaller than this one, and SMF besides that, I've probably ever, in over 2 years, deleted 5 or 6 spam messages. It also helps to make the registration challenge harder than "are you human". Bots can read and answer that one. Also, I'm not sure the activation email eliminates bots. You wouldn't be getting that much spam, if the bots were being blocked! Again I say OMG!

(I knew someone in a forum once, who was just curious, and wanted to study spam trends. So he set up a forum without any security. That's where I learned how much a strong registration challenge question can help, btw. Anyway, after a few months, his host noticed the sleazy activity and asked him to take it down, lol. But it was interesting to watch!)

styxlawyer

Postby styxlawyer » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:03 am

Thanks. I'll have a look at those two links.

Janne1956

Postby Janne1956 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:09 am

What I can't do as an Inkscape user I'm quite good at as a moderator. Please contact me if you need help to remove spammers.

Lazur URH

Postby Lazur URH » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:20 am

Thank's, that is very kind of you but its all up to microUgly to allow users moderator status.

Moini

Postby Moini » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:39 am

(microUgly replied pretty quickly to my mail. Maybe you'd rather contact him/her by mail? Mail address is available when you go to 'Register' somewhere, I think.)
Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

Inkscape FAQ - Learning Resources - Website with tutorials (German and English)

brynn

Postby brynn » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:44 am

Yeah, you'll need to contact micro. He'll probably answer a PM. And especially if you link the message where Lazur showed how many spams he's removed since the forum upgrade. While it's not exactly huge number, it's probably too much for a volunteer to handle all alone. I'm sure Lazur will welcome the assistance ;) But microUgly has to promote you to moderator.

Janne1956

Postby Janne1956 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:56 pm

It seems as if microUgly is absent in this period because he hasn't replied to my week old PM :)

Return to “Registration issues and website problems”