svg to/from embroidery converter

Using Inkscape with other software? Talk about it here.
Buy Inkscape books

svg to/from embroidery converter

Postby knobba » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:55 am

I'd just like to tell and discuss, if anyone is interested, that I made a svg to/from machine embroidery converter. Embroidery files is also vector graphics and I found some description on some of the file types available for machine embroidery. So I read a lot on the svg file format and combined this with some mathematics and some knowledge to php. So now I can create my own embroidery files with Inkscape. I can also convert embroidery files to svg to edit the files in Inkscape and then convert it back to embroidery file format.

Embroidery software costs a lot, so this is an attempt to make creation of embroidery files affordable to hobbyists.
Last edited by knobba on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
knobba

Re: svg to/from embroidery converter

Postby brynn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:43 pm

Embroidery software costs a lot, so this is an attempt to make creation of embroidery files affordable to hobbyists.

Wow, I didn't know there was any such thing as embroidery software. I have done a lot of embroidery (and other sewing or needlecraft) (in the past, pre-arthritis), and can't quite comprehend why special software should even be needed in the 1st place. I can see how knitting could employ computer software, also needlepoint, even quilting. But embroidery....unless you mean counted cross stitch....but even counted cross stitch is basically line drawings, even though the stitch is an X. Maybe you could educate me on that?

But yeah, Inkscape would be perfect for creating embroidery stencils!
Basics:
> Help menu > Tutorials
> a Quick Guide to Inkscape
Manual:
> Inkscape: Guide to a Vector Drawing Program
Tutorials:
> Inkscape Community
Development news
> Google+
Gallery:
> Inkscape Community Gallery
brynn

Postby knobba » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:47 am

I am talking about software to prepare files that stitch by stitch tell an embroidery machine where to put the needle. Here is an example on a machine embroidery which you certainly not would sew by hand. And the basis for this embroidery is an embroidery file conisisting of straight line element vectors. Image
My web-converter takes an svg path, the stitch length and image width as input and converts the svg path to straight line element vectors and saves this in an embroidery format which I can upload to my embroidery machine, press start, take some coffee and watch it work for me :ugeek:
knobba

Postby brynn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:31 pm

OOoohh, machine embroidery. Yes, that's a different story!
Thanks for that. I was taught sewing by the oldest of the old school techniques -- when machines were used for making clothes, and everything else was by hand.
Basics:
> Help menu > Tutorials
> a Quick Guide to Inkscape
Manual:
> Inkscape: Guide to a Vector Drawing Program
Tutorials:
> Inkscape Community
Development news
> Google+
Gallery:
> Inkscape Community Gallery
brynn

Postby RobA » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:15 am

There are similar efforts to create vinyl cutter files from Inkscape to escape the proprietary software used for those. (The inkscape vectors are turned into paths the cutter blade follows)

I would think there is much in common between the two.

-Rob A.
RobA

Postby knobba » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:03 am

ffaat wrote:There are similar efforts to create vinyl cutter files from Inkscape to escape the proprietary software used for those. (The inkscape vectors are turned into paths the cutter blade follows)

I would think there is much in common between the two.

Sounds like there is similarities, yes.
knobba

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:33 pm

Here's an inkscape extension I wrote that emits a machine-embroidery file.

http://www.jonh.net/~jonh/inkscape-embroidery/

Enjoy!

Postby knobba » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:03 am

Hey! Somebody else with the same interests :) Would be interesting to discuss algorithms
knobba

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:31 pm

I'd be happy to; email address is on the web page linked above.

Of course, you can also just fetch the program itself to see what naive algorithms I'm already using. :v) It's pretty durn simple; no control over things like thread direction and stitch pattern. The page has a "theory of operation" section that gives you the basic rundown.

svg to embroidery

Postby JKJ » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:52 am

knobba wrote:I'd just like to tell and discuss, if anyone is interested, that I made a svg to/from machine embroidery converter. ... Embroidery software costs a lot ...

Hello, just started using Inkscape and found this thread, no pun intended. I was searching for a way to convert .AI files to .EMF for input into Embird embroidery digitizing software. I tried several things which did not work until I learned about Inkscape which has worked perfectly on everything I've tried so far. Embird is one of the least expensive programs I could find to edit and digitize embroidery designs.

I had both a .JPG and .AI file of a logo. I digitized the logo by tracing the bitmap in Embird and it took about two hours. After installing Inkscape, I loaded the .AI file of the logo, saved as .EMF, then digitized the same logo in Embird. The entire process took about two minutes. I haven't sent the file to the machine yet but the thread simulation looks good.

I've just finished the tutorials and I can see that Inkscape should be quite useful for creating original designs. Tonight I'll try creating a cartoon design a friend wants to put on a shirt.

JKJ
JKJ

Postby knobba » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Embird might work very well and be the least expensive ($164), but for me I'd rather have the fun of creating my own free and simple program, than spend those money :)
knobba

Return to Inkscape & other