If you could choose 1 thing that must be implemented or fixed in Inkscape 1.0, what would it be?

General discussions about Inkscape.
Lazur

Re: If you could choose 1 thing that must be implemented or fixed in Inkscape 1.0, what would it be?

Postby Lazur » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:12 am

Moini wrote:Bildschirmfoto_2018-08-03_16-14-27.png

No, haven't seen those, still running 92.2. Although those are rendering related settings, mostly affecting gaussian blur.
As far as I know no other filters got gpu backup. (Yet a custom blending mode is the real show stopper.)
They would hardly have an effect on the mentioned performance issues.

Moini

Re: If you could choose 1 thing that must be implemented or fixed in Inkscape 1.0, what would it be?

Postby Moini » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:21 am

Dunno, they had a huge effect for me when displaying filtered objects. But it really depends on the machine you're on. The problem with 0.92.2 is the default setting for the rendering tile multiplier. It was set to a fixed (hardcoded) value that wasn't a good choice for good hardware. After I changed it in 0.92.3, things got flowing again.
Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

Inkscape FAQ - Learning Resources - Website with tutorials (German and English)

Moini

Postby Moini » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:22 am

Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:29 am

"Rendering tile multiplier" is a new one for me. Can someone give a relatively simple explanation what it does (besides speed things up - I mean how does it speed things up) ?

Thanks!

Nevermind - just found the tooltip :mrgreen:

brynn

Postby brynn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:24 am

If it's not too late for this, I was just answering yet another question about the problems using Inkscape in a dual or multiple monitor setup. I'm not sure if this is already on the devs' radar, but I hope it is. It seems like multiple monitors are being used more and more these days.

In addition to the dialogs opening offscreen, and the mouse being unresponsive, now I've seen a problem using a tablet on a dual montior. The Calligraphy tool is being dragged over here, but the line is showing up over there (it's offset).

Moini

Postby Moini » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:29 am

Brynn, as CR has been asking for bug numbers attached to each listed bug, could you dig them up, please? Then I'll add to the list. If there is no report, create one :)

Moini

Postby Moini » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:11 am

Hey there, I've added bug numbers for one of the lists at http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php ... g_Fix_List .

Could someone please dig up appropriate numbers for the bugs in the forum list, and either post them here, or edit the Wiki page?

tylerdurden

Postby tylerdurden » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:00 pm

Here's the bug report on the mm=px/scale/symbols/offsets/extensions/compatibility/etc. issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1670913

Thank you, Moini!
Have a nice day.

I'm using Inkscape 0.92.2 (5c3e80d, 2017-08-06), 64 bit win8.1

The Inkscape manual has lots of helpful info! http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/

Moini

Postby Moini » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:56 am

Thanks, added :)

TD, do you think you could create a report for your friend about the tiny script entry text boxes? (if there isn't one yet)

Moini

Postby Moini » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:01 am

Oh, sorry. This was actually Xav's friend... Oops. Nevermind. Xav?

tylerdurden

Postby tylerdurden » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:33 am

Moini wrote:Oh, sorry. This was actually Xav's friend... Oops. Nevermind. Xav?

Already on it... will snip the post for the friend of a friend....

PS
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1790533
Have a nice day.

The Inkscape manual has lots of helpful info! http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/

Moini

Postby Moini » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:20 am

Thanks, TD, that's cool :)

I've set the bug status to 'confirmed' (I think we all agree on these fields being a poor choice for their content) and added it to the Wiki.

Also created a bug for the regular expressions in Find & Replace dialog.

There are still a couple left here, esp. in the features section, that require some fleshing out via report:
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php ... t#Features
Last edited by Moini on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tylerdurden

Postby tylerdurden » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:26 am

Have a nice day.

Xav

Postby Xav » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:10 pm

tylerdurden wrote:
Moini wrote:Oh, sorry. This was actually Xav's friend... Oops. Nevermind. Xav?

Already on it... will snip the post for the friend of a friend....

PS
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1790533

Thanks TD. I've got a bit of a busy time of it at the moment, so I'm not getting on here as often as usual - otherwise I would have done it myself. Honest.
Co-creator of The Greys and Monsters, Inked - Inkscape drawn webcomics
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

begtognen

Postby begtognen » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:12 pm

Having the ability to disable the autosearch in layers would be so wonderful. (Currently, keyboard shortcuts search the layers instead of being implemented on the canvas.)

Oh! And the ability to sort the Auto palette (the one created from swatches) by clicking and dragging.

Also: dialog windows remember their positions. I have Layers docked in the sidebar on the right, but have to resize it by making it twice as tall every time I open Inkscape.

And: two keyboard shortcuts that change the stroke width, one that makes it bigger and one that makes it smaller.

Moini

Postby Moini » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:40 am

So, hi from home from the Hackfest :)

Marc had looked into ungrouping yesterday, but found that the actual ungrouping wasn't slow, and didn't know how to proceed (don't know what happened today).

CR is probably cutting videos or compiling pictures atm. Martin broke the extensions :) - and seems to be fixing them, with Jürgen, who is a very active extension writer and has many good ideas for the API for extensions. Thomas is looking for feedback on his y axis inversion branch: https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/merge_requests/250 . Max was doing bug triage, but building different Inkscape versions for seeing when a bug was introduced was very slow. We had a visitor today who works close to Kitz and is using Inkscape for his work. Jürgen has given a talk yesterday about which extensions one needs when doing cool maker stuff (did you know he had built a silhouette extension that eliminates the need for silhouette studio?). I also got a shopping cart coin printed on his 3D printer, with an Inkscape logo :) Jabier demoed a new feature for embedding SVG images in img tags with the dpi updating live. Tav showed 3D animations in SVG.

And we have a test instance of rocket.chat running now - and some of us are using it. And just maybe we are going to get some help with setting up a web-based translation interface, and Manuel (who setup rocket chat) wants to help us with the mailing lists :)

I'm not really sure what the others have been working on - it was all so busy!
We even had Mihaela connect to us per video chat.

tylerdurden

Postby tylerdurden » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:20 pm

Excellent!
Have a nice day.

brynn

Postby brynn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Thanks for the report, Moini!

Yes, I think I have that extension in my list, the Silhouette one, and it's probably in the wiki list too (I'm trying to keep them both updated, when I see new extensions). I don't know for sure if it's the same one you mention, but the repo shows some updates in the last few days. So maybe it's the same one. Of course, Inkscape is used to avoid the manufacturer's software, for many brands of digital cutters. But this one claims to actually drive the cutter, and not just export the needed format.

Moini

Postby Moini » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:06 am

Hi again,

today went by in a breeze...

I've continued trying to understand new functionality and updating release notes, and also tested Thomas' y axis inversion branch a little. Then we had a visitor who was grateful for some tips and tricks that will make his work easier (which is creating symbols and diagrams about house technology (heating, pumps, ventilation) for students to work with in a lab). There was one big conversation about overhauling dialogs (I think the idea was: compacting object and layers dialog into one expandable dialog section, combining object properties and image properties into another one, ditching the selection sets dialog in favor of the CSS style dialog and remodeling that a bit, so it can take on both functions, and combining this with the fill+stroke dialog into one global 'Object Properties' dialog that can adapt to the selected object). The idea isn't fully developed yet, but I think there will be a video about it coming soon. CR was really busy working on video and styling. Martin prepared a usability test for creating a more compact tool box that puts all shapes into one pop-up button, and I helped him carry it out with people at the Kitz barbecue. Tav was working on SVG1.1 fallbacks for the new SVG2 flowed text, I think. Max was focused on ensuring consistent licence notes in Inkscape's files. Martin and Jürgen probably continued working on (designing?) the extensions API. I have no clue what Patrick did, but he looked very focused. Marc fixed bugs, as far as I understand. Jabier worked on some path effects, I think, and explained a couple of his LPEs to me. I saw Mihaela shortly in the new rocket.chat test instance, but somehow lost her :) Manuel has started working on the mailing list server setup, and a friend of Martin's has said he'd like to help us set up the weblate instance for translators.

Again, this is probably just the tip of the iceberg. I've most certainly missed most of what happened :)

brynn

Postby brynn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:00 am

I know that developers don't think this kind of info is interesting to users, but I find it fascinating. And exciting!

What kind of videos is C R making?

Thanks for the update :D

Moini

Postby Moini » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:25 am

Chris is creating a video that summarizes what happened at the hackfest, including some of the most important discussions. I haven't paid close attention, though, it's still going to be a surprise when it's ready :)

So, today we met at the central railway station for a tour along the Kieler Förde (Kiel bay), through Kiel's town center and to its computer museum. I dragged the devs along with me and bored them with some info about Kiel's landmarks I learnt on Wikipedia. We talked about the emperor's yot (uhm, yacht), walked over the bridge that is depicted on the hackfest sticker, admired a huge ship propeller and some historical boats. Then took a look at the current shipbuilding industry from afar, saw some buildings that were destroyed and rebuilt, tried to enter the church, but were a couple of minutes too early. Saw a statue that had once been classified as deviant art, but survived those times. Laughed about the weird behaviors of sea gulls, and visited our harbor seals (in the aquarium). I actually forgot half of the POIs that I had picked, but well... then, after taking a group photo on a children's play ship, we took the ferry to the other side, and the director of the museum gave us a tour. Jürgen wanted to give up his vacation for coming back and fixing a broken machine, but was told that they had decided to not fix it, but to keep the original parts as they are.
Chris and Marc played Pacman :) We saw an old plotter, and some really old Zuse machines, and how they developed in a very short time, from relais, to tube, to transistor.

Max had to leave us today, after the computer museum, and after having made sure that > 1000 Inkscape files have the correct licencing set in them. Wow! He even automated checking for licences.

The extensions are in a much less broken state today (however running them results in a lot of deprecation warnings), and I think Martin already started on that dialog revamp mentioned in my previous post. Thomas made a couple of fixes to the inverted y axis change. Marc was able to speed up ungrouping by the factor of 2, and that fix - so I've been told - will also speed up Inkscape in many other areas. I've added lots of screenshots to the release notes, and also found a couple of bugs when sifting through the commit messages and testing out new functionality - and then there were also a couple of Kielux things to do. Alvin (who wasn't in Kiel) helped by adding backtraces. I learnt that it can get quite exhausting to try and talk English all day, and found myself talking English with the Germans, and German with the English... It was also Thomas' last day at the Hackfest today, and we really hope that he and Max and Jürgen will continue to contribute to the project.

Tav plans to give a presentation about the state of SVG2 tomorrow. I was a bit too exhausted today to really register what he or Jabier or Martin have been working on. I think this post is also a bit chaotic, but it just reflects my current state of lack of sleep...

tylerdurden

Postby tylerdurden » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:46 am

Thanks for the reports, it sounds like a very busy schedule. =)
Have a nice day.

Moini

Postby Moini » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:08 pm

It is :)

Moini

Postby Moini » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:55 am

So, today has been the last day of the Hackfest, and some of us may even still be at the Kitz, working.

As I've had to do a lot of setup work for Kielux, I didn't get to see much of what happened Inkscape-wise.

Chris continued to work on the video(s), and recorded a couple of short interviews with the devs (I escaped the interrogation). Jabier fixed a couple of bugs in the new LPEs and in the measurement tool's new functionality. Martin and Jürgen continued to work on the extensions, and Jürgen and Chris did quite a bit of 3D printing together on Jürgen's mini 3D printer (I think you'll see the results in the video, so I'm not going to spoil this for you - if not, ask me after it has been published).

Yesterday night, Patrick found already existing scaffold code in Inkscape that could make it possible to have much more powerful extensions that can talk with Inkscape and access its functionality directly. It was thought it would not (ever?) work on Windows, but surprisingly, it did.
Patrick had also included auto-updating for the translation files into Inkscape's automated language statistics generation the night before - and I also have no idea what he worked on today.

Tav gave his SVG2 presentation this morning, which has been recorded by Chris. Except for some details on who was in the SVG working group, or left it, there wasn't really much that was new to someone who was following his posts on patreon. The main message for the outside world was and is: Create content with SVG2 features and publish it on the web, so it will become visible to browser vendors that this is being used. He also talked a bit about his progress on SVG2 text (flowed text that does not need to be converted to normal text before it becomes visible in a browser, even if that browser does not support SVG2) during the hackfest. It looks as if it's quite advanced already.

Marc was working with intense focus on ... something. I have no idea, what, sorry :-) It looked complex. He also created a rough schedule for the big release, for which he has volunteered to be a coordinator.

I think, beside all the Kielux stuff (mostly putting up posters and hauling stuff from point A to point B, and trying to keep track of who needs help with what), I only added one or two screenshots and did some really tiny edits on the release notes for Inkscape today.

Via the new chat, Ryan volunteered to make a quick flyer and a poster for a makeshift Inkscape booth at Kielux. Marc might join me there tomorrow (and I hope I can be there, between selling sandwiches, coffee and T-shirts. And of course, I also want an intergalactic passport :)).

The next Inkscape Hackfest is planned to be in Saarbrücken, on the German/France border, at or before/after Libre Graphics Meeting, which is from May 29th to June, 2nd 2019. Anyone who wants to submit a talk needs to be warned that their deadline for accepting talks is in December already!

brynn

Postby brynn » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:25 pm

....made sure that > 1000 Inkscape files have the correct licencing set in them. Wow! He even automated checking for licences.

Why does each file need a license?

From what I understand, Inkscape uses libraries from other open source programs (and also shares it's libs too)(at least in theory, I don't actually know if it's reality). So do these shared libs all carry the same licenses, from one program to the next?

Do different files have different licenses?

Also >1000 files? I didn't realize Inkscape had so many!

(I'm wondering if these reports on hackfest should be split out into a separate topic? Because I assume that work on 1.0 will be continuing long past this hackfest. And this topic may continue to grow with more comments about 1.0.)

Thanks again, Moini!

Return to “General Discussions”