Inkscape 0.91 - Missing icons.

General discussions about Inkscape.
Mechatherium

Re: Inkscape 0.91 - Missing icons.

Postby Mechatherium » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:42 am

If it helps, I had to install icons.svg to two icons folders,

one in {Program files}\inkscape\share,

and the other in {Program files}\inkscape\share\inkscape

Slightly OT, Is there any way to edit preferences in Inkscape? I can't seem to do it in the Preferences menu.

Thanks,

Tony

BobSongs

ID for Templates icon needed

Postby BobSongs » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:10 am

What is the correct ID for the Templates... icon in the file menu?

I've completed a set "icons.svg" for Inkscape 0.91.

A "Templates..." icon is included, however the file requires the ID name for it to appear in the list. The icon theme is based on the Tango set for continuity from 0.48.x.

I will post the icons.svg file in this thread when I have the correct Templates icon ID.

Thanks!

brynn

Postby brynn » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:46 am

OMG -- BobSongs! Hey stranger -- welcome back :D

I think the problem is not with icons missing from the file. But with how the icons are delivered to the ui. I can't remember the right word for it. There's another, longer topic about this, where it's explained, if you wanted to search.

(Edit -- my bad. This is that topic. I'm a little feverish at the moment, and didn't notice this is page 2.)

Sorry, I don't know the ID that you need.
Last edited by brynn on Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarification

Moini

Postby Moini » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:10 am

Try with dialog-templates - taken from this bug report here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1378338
Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

Inkscape FAQ - Learning Resources - Website with tutorials (German and English)

BobSongs

Postby BobSongs » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:00 am

Hey Brinn! Sorry to hear you're under the weather! :(

And a big thank-you, Moini, for getting that last piece of info for me. The svg file is attached.

This isn't an attempt to say anyone else's work is inferior. I'm just very used to the Tango icon set and minor changes get under my skin.

Also: the icons are similar to the 0.48.x set, with some Tango-ish additions. These additions are, of course, open source and may be tinkered with ad infinitum until everyone's satisfied. These are merely humble offerings of what makes my 0.91 Inskcape pleasant to observe.

----------

I thought I'd take a stab at the icons issue.

Essentially, most Windows programs come with a full set of their own icons and other paraphernalia, often locked in .dll files.

But Inkscape was born, if I'm not mistaken, from the Unix-like environment of Free Open-source Software (it's a long sodi-podi history which we need not get into at the moment). Similar to Windows .dll files that come with programming software Microsoft sells, the Tango icon set (for the Gnome Desktop) is equally available for use.

"Undo", "Redo", and so forth are from the base set. Other icons incorporated within Inkscape, icons for specialized functions, were designed (by patient artists) to resemble the rest of the "Tango" set. These icons were tucked into the "icons.svg" page and individually labelled.

It would appear that 0.91 is moving away from the base Tango set. The move, if this is not just an oversight, meant a series of broken icon images. The attached file will hopefully fix things up a bit.

Known Issues: File > Revert icon is smaller than its counterparts, but has no white-space border in icons.svg. There's no apparent reason for why it is not the proper size. Edit > Undo & Edit > Redo are coloured differently than their original counterparts to work against a more darker grey system theme.
Attachments
icons.zip
(106.97 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

Moini

Postby Moini » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:24 am

BobSongs, could you also upload this at inkscape.org? We don't have a category for 'icons' yet, but I'm sure we could create one if there were any ;) Would be cool if we could collect all these downloadables in a single place, for easy browsing.
(for the time being, you could use the 'Artwork' category)
Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

BobSongs

Postby BobSongs » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:52 pm

I'll get on that right away. Thanks for the tip!

Edit: done
Last edited by BobSongs on Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobSongs

Postby BobSongs » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:28 pm

Please note: the file provided by myself in this thread is freely downloadable and only subject to any typical GPL copyrights. Some artistic tweaking was done on my part, but I release all claims of ownership.

The important part is that Inkscape should look the way it was meant to. I'm sure the development team have caught the issue and will repair it in the next release.

DroWn

Postby DroWn » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:39 am

I thought the Tango icon set was the newer version? I prefer it to the included icons.
I'm sort of new to this, so bear with me, but in my Tango icon set and version .91,
I'm missing the "measure" tool icon, Snap text anchors and baelines icon, as well as these 3 items in the "Rearrange" bar under Align and Distribute:
Exchange positions of selected objects -selection order
Exchange positions of selected objects -stacking order
Exchange positions of selected objects -clockwise order
Any help would be appreciated, and I'm not totally hopeless when it comes to technical things.
I'm on a derivative of Ubuntu, if that changes anything.

Moini

Postby Moini » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:06 am

Measure tool was added in 0.91, as well as the other icons, so you're probably using an icon file for an older Inkscape version.

bblack4jc

Postby bblack4jc » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:29 pm

thank you, ragstian, for the icons.svg file. Worked great! I have Inkscape 0.91 on Windows 7 and the undo and redo icons were missing. Just installed the version today.

brynn

Postby brynn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:52 pm

Inkscape 0.91 is no longer the current stable version. Now it's 0.92, where the problem has been fixed. Better to install the current stable version, in most cases.

tylerdurden

Postby tylerdurden » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:34 am

Well, some icon issues are better, some not. The xml editor icons don't show up on the first use, unless you check the pre-render named icons in the prefs... but if you do that, the standard tool icons look pretty bad.
New_document_1_-_Inkscape_2017-02-25_20-32-02.png
no prerender
New_document_1_-_Inkscape_2017-02-25_20-32-02.png (42.16 KiB) Viewed 1049 times

New_document_1_-_Inkscape_2017-02-25_20-28-23.png
with prerender
New_document_1_-_Inkscape_2017-02-25_20-28-23.png (59.65 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
Have a nice day.

I'm using Inkscape 0.92.2 (5c3e80d, 2017-08-06), 64 bit win8.1

The Inkscape manual has lots of helpful info! http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:44 am

You're right. It's just the missing icons which was fixed. But some are still way too small and some are still blurry.

bensoibj

Postby bensoibj » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:27 pm

The following fixed for me the phenomenon that some icons appear blurred after updating to Inkscape 92.2:
Setting Preferences / Rendering, Filter effects quality for display. Set to “lowest quality (fastest)”, restart Inkscape and then set back to the original value and restart again.

Return to “General Discussions”