Uninstalled Font still usable in Inkscape

General discussions about Inkscape.
Moini

Re: Uninstalled Font still usable in Inkscape

Postby Moini » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:28 am

Q1: No idea. I guess Fontforge will support this, but I've rarely used it (only once or twice), so I really don't know any details about importing single letters from other fonts.
Q2: Don't think so, no. It does have the list of control characters, that contains zero width space and some more, but no return or simple space. Space can be added directly (just enter one into the double-clickable field, it's going to be used in the example text right away). Does it matter which font is used by 'return'? It could just rely on fallback provided by the system...
Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

Inkscape FAQ - Learning Resources - Website with tutorials (German and English)

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:49 pm

flamingolady wrote:Brynn - here's an excerpt from the FF manual, thought you'd be interested:

Non-Integral Coordinates
In TrueType fonts all coordinates must be on integral coordinates. When FontForge generates your font it will round any non-integral coordinates -- sometimes this is fine, but it can also introduce small uglinesses into your font that you won't be aware of in fontforge. (Implied points are allowed to have half-integral values (2.5 is ok, 2.25 is not)).

Interesting. I've never seen it that way.

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:23 pm

While I can't claim to have learned it all, and kerning and line spacing isn't the greatest, I wanted to show you'all who have helped me so much the end result (don't get too excited, the font itself isn't real exciting, but it will let me do what I want to do). So, drum rollllllllllllllllll. here it is, a screen shot of my glyphs using Inkscape Font Editor and then into Fontforge for basic kerning and conversion to a TTF file! Happy camper here. thanks much to everyone along the way that helped, esp Brynn and Moini!

Plain Sans font by dee.png
Screen prt of dee's font
Plain Sans font by dee.png (223.15 KiB) Viewed 4934 times

Moini

Postby Moini » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:58 am

Congrats on the result of your hard work, Dee! :D

What is the font going to be used for?
Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:41 am

Thx Moini. Couldn't have done the Inkscape Editor without you. and I sure hope some documentation comes out soon!
Am using primarily for words and sayings on top of drawings that I sell on microstock sites, etsy, etc. (example, Baby's 1st Christmas and Merry Christmas, or Happy Halloween that are on some photo overlays). It's been a pain trying to even use Times New Roman. Microstock places tend to reject a drawing with words if you can't get an actual signed release - and Times New Roman is well over 100 yrs old, so that's hard to do, lol. (while sort of kidding, I actually found their site and there's no general release). That font is generally accepted for all over use here in the US, but not everywhere, and my microstock place is canadian. Stuff like that. I added the extra things like card suits because I use them in drawings here and there. Needed fractions in jewerlry making; and in some of the glyphs, well, just for the fun of it or to get experience. Still needs some work, but I'm happy for now, for the first font.

ps I'm crashing Word in all kinds of ways now. Tells me it's out of memory and can't load the font! Can't figure out why, before using Inkscape Editor I didn't have any issues, literally tested nearly 100 font uploads. Seems like there'd be more room after deleting all of those hidden font files. I have to reboot my pc after about the 3rd upload, really strange. I've tried a few suggested things to do, and hoping this will help, time will tell.

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:39 am

Congratulations, Dee! Sounds like you should be involved in writing some of the documentation, since you've at least partly figured it out :D

There's a program I've saved from the last time I had a security scare. You know, you go to certain reputable security forums, and they'll put you through a routine to clean you computer, and then search for malware and clean it up. So anyway, they had recommended this cleaner, and it's amazing!

If I just use the browser History menu, and clear the cache....well, it only takes a split second, and it never tells you how much it deletes. But then I'll use the cleaning program right after that, and it usually removes in the hundreds of megabytes of temp files! Apparently there are a lot of places where Windows hides temp files, and they make them really hard to find. But this one finds them. Sometimes it takes 10 or 15 minutes to finish. I try to use it every few months.

Not sure if I have a link for it, but it's just called "Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer". I've tried one called CCleaner, in the past. It seems to be popular. But I like this one much better. Let's see if I have a link.... If I can't find, I could actually send you the file.

Oh! Not sure if I'm more surprised I found it, or that I saved it at all! http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/fi ... -oldtimer/ It's not much to look at, but I'm impressed with how it works.

After you run that, or some kind of good temp file cleaner, you might want to run any malware scanners you have - just to be sure. Maybe also look to see how much memory you have left. Maybe you're just running out of space?

Moini

Postby Moini » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:42 pm

Can't help with the MS Office issues, but for the fonts - why don't you use some that have an open licence? There you're not going to need to ask for a written release - because you can just use the font's licence deed - e.g. SIL Open Font licence.

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:07 am

Thx Brynn, will look into that cleanup. Whatever I followed from Microsoft cleaned up thousands of old files, so far so good. I am guessing that creating fonts hides even more files than I ever imagined. Somehow I didn't save the link to what I did, so will never figure it out again.
My pc is over 7 yrs old, and on it's last leg, cracks and everything, so sure that's part of it. Sounds like your pgm is much easier, thx.

Moini - even for those fonts I think an actual signature is required, not all of the people who are reviewers to approve a drawing understand the SIL thing and it gets rejected anyway. Rejects add up and take away from your 'score' or rating. So it's just easier to do my own thing, no worries. Once I get through my major surgery and long rehab I can look into helping with documentation, I'm not sure I can duplicate some of what I did, and there's lots I don't understand still, but glad to help if I can. fyi. i'm about to drop out of sight here again for a long period of time due to upcoming ultra high risk surgery.

Moini

Postby Moini » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:51 am

Wow, that's ... unfair, with the fonts.
Take care, and lots of luck to you, flamingolady, I'll be thinking of you. When would you expect to be able to return?

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:49 pm

thx much. no idea, depends on the complications, length of rehab, etc.

brynn

Postby brynn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 am

When you've said in the past that you use Microstock site to sell your art, I always thought the "micro" was for MS. And I would expect MS to know everything about fonts - or at least hire people who do - or recruit volunteers, if that's the case. But maybe it's not related to MS? It seems like there ought to be a place to sell your stuff where the website people know what they're doing.

PM me the surgery date?

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:19 am

Best of luck Flamingolady!

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:54 am

Thanks Lazur. Could use lots of positive thoughts (and prayers). I have a rare form of a rare illness, and not many surgeons worldwide can even do this, it's high risk, so no guarantees. PS. am still looking at your wonderful filters, when I return I have plans for several of them!

Brynn, oh sorry, not MS, microstock is just a general term for selling clipart on a company's website, not even sure how they got that name. Most of these places primary sell photos vs illustrations. (I won't say the name of the company(ies), and I really like this one company actually, but they have a huge turnover of reviewers so the font thing is a continual issue). I don't put words on that many items to be honest, still building portfolios, but having my own font will make it SO much easier. I have plans to do a curly font next, it's part way in the works; I didn't dare start out with that one, using power stroke alone would have killed me, this plain one almost did me in, lol. ps I'm the flamingolady all over (one word, not two), similar avi, in case you ever run into the above font, you'll know it's me. :lol:

Moini

Postby Moini » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:53 pm

<off-off-topic>
There are good news for powerstroke improvements (something to look forward to, flamingolady, if you disliked how long it takes to make a nice powerstroke drawing, and how complex the dialog looks):

People who own (or buy) a graphics tablet will (in 0.93) be able to draw strokes of variable width that can easily be modified with the pencil tool and their graphics tablet stylus :)
I've had the pleasure of testing it (some crashes, but Jabier has been fixing some things), and it's fun!
</off-off-topic>

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:27 am

ps, we already took this thread far off topic, what's one more fork in the road! at least it's in the general discussion arena. And if anyone has followed it, we learned a lot about fonts, more than anyone ever wanted to know. My apologies to the OP. But if he had not of posted, I would never have set out on a journey to delete those horrid hidden fonts, and I thank Pherim for his post about finding them.

Having said the above - oh so cool re power strokes. No tablet here. Maybe the overall changes will keep those wonky things from distorting the power lines. I'm sure that changing the power stroke to a path is what caused many of those darned duplicate node issues. Has it's own 'memory', I delete the duplicates, it re-creates when you look away for a second, ha ha. I still haven't upgraded to the latest stable version, at this point may wait. Thx to you and Jabier!

Moini

Postby Moini » Sun May 27, 2018 10:19 am

Update: Bug report for the deleted / old versions of fonts: https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1773601

Phoenixjacket

Postby Phoenixjacket » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:50 am

brynn wrote:I can't help Shoansa's question.

But for flamingolady, some questions. (Aside from not understanding why you installed it more than once) I don't understand how it happens that you can have the same font installed twice. Whenever I try to install a font which is already installed, Windows tells me I already have it installed, and asks if I want to replace it. But even when I tried clicking Yes to replace it, I still don't see 2 of the same font. It's still just one.

Maybe we should understand how you're installing it? Maybe there's some way that I've never heard of? Unless you give it a different name each time you install it. That would make sense. But then, you should still be able to uninstall them in the usual way. How do you uninstall fonts?

I think when Pherim said he used a different file manager, he means he had to use something different from Windows Explorer. I'm sure there are loads of file managers out there. Probably even some free ones.

This link was provided in a reply above, to recreate the Windows font cache (I didn't see any reference to a browser cache): http://www.ehow.com/how_7197467_rebuild-font-cache.html I assume that after you delete the file, you'll have to reinstall a lot of fonts. (as far as I understand, this will delete all the fonts on the computer - I'd probably have to be utterly desparate to delete that file!)

My solution this problem was simple. First I uninstalled fonts, da regular way (uninstall this font, bla bla bla). Still sadly having my unistalled fonts in inkscape. In regedit and windows those fonts did not appear. Then used this command in cmd promt as admin attrib -r -s c:\Windows\Fonts , went back to c:\Windows\Fonts and voila there was those fonts. (I looked with "show hidden files" option turned on) So simply deleted fonts in question and finally inkscape was not showing those fonts. Hope this helps

Moini

Postby Moini » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:42 am

Phoenixjacket, what does ' attrib -r -s' do?

Return to “General Discussions”