Uninstalled Font still usable in Inkscape

General discussions about Inkscape.
flamingolady

Re: Uninstalled Font still usable in Inkscape

Postby flamingolady » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:12 am

Thanks Brynn. I will check that out. DDG sounds like a game, lol. I posted a note in the msn forum, figured if anyone should know how to remove them, it'd be them, but so far no responses, only views, so it's not a common issue. It's not hard to find file mgrs, it's hard to find one that can remove these specific hidden files. Again, wouldn't one think the Windows file mgr could handle this. crazy, just crazy. I'm trying to avoid having to install, test, un-install, find new pgm, and so on.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:43 pm

Maybe this narrows down the choices for you? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... ft_Windows

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Success, I was finally able to delete the hidden fonts!! yippee. I must have deleted nearly 100 old fonts, wow! I did crash Word in the process, so this has really been an ordeal. Here's a detailed description of how to do this - and how to fix Word too, it's not so hard if you know the tricks. This is for win 7.

You will need to download a file mgr outside of windows if your pc is set up like mine. But in case it isn't - try this method first, can't give you all the how to's, and it may not work, but worth a try. go to your start button and type in
' \\(name of your pc here)\C$\windows\fonts\ '. This brings up all of the fonts in the c:\windows\font folder. You need to do that as a system admin. Depending on your setup, if you highlight the extra fonts you don't want, you can delete them.

Otherwise, you'll need to find a file mgr that lets you see the hidden files AND delete them. I found a file mgr called Command on CNET.com, open source. It let me easily delete the files - note, there is no delete button, but you are able to drag the files to the recycle bin. that's it. well, except that when I deleted the fonts, it crashed Word somehow. (got some really quick error msg about not enough memory, couldn't read it all). The ONLY font that worked was my default font of Times New Roman.

I googled to find out what to do. This worked - In Word, (I have an old version, probably Word 7). click on the upper left button at the top (where you open or print files, etc), go to the bottom of that menu and click on word options, then click on the advanced button. Scroll down a ways until you get to the ‘Show Document Content’ section. Look at the box that says ‘use draft font in draft and outline views’. This should NOT be checked in order to see and use all of your fonts. Mine was checked, evidently when it crashed, it automatically went into draft mode. Simply uncheck that box and you should be back in business. I did reboot my system, and everything runs as it should now.

So glad this is resolved.

Moini

Postby Moini » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:09 pm

Additional info:
Eduard just built functionality that will allow you to put your self-made fonts into a separate folder for testing them with Inkscape (other programs won't see them there, but you will be able to tell Inkscape 0.93 where to look).
Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

Inkscape FAQ - Learning Resources - Website with tutorials (German and English)

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:46 am

Moini - thx for that info, that is simply wonderful. Guess I have to wait for v 93 (I haven't even upgraded to 92.2, might do that this weekend). I don't ever recall there being an issue of retaining old fonts until v 92, but maybe just didn't notice, I only started dealing with creating fonts a couple months ago.
Now if only someone could make setting to integral numbers simple....

Moini

Postby Moini » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:34 am

You could use a grid and snap your nodes (if it's their coordinates this is about).
Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:05 pm

It just doesn't work well, they aren't snapped to integral coordinates, and somehow they move, haven't figured it all out. Needs to be a way to snap a bunch of nodes to integrals and then lock them down.
sidenote: I haven't figured out how to do testing of fonts 'the right way', at least per what fontforge had mentioned. I primarily open Word and test there. Have only made one little font, and not quite finished, kerning is the issue. Would love to see a windows based open source font maker.

Moini

Postby Moini » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:57 am

You mean, like this:
https://fontforge.github.io/en-US/downloads/

(or rather: http://fontforge.github.io/en-US/downloads/windows-dl/)

Or what do you mean by 'windows based' and 'font maker'?

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:07 am

Font maker meant any pgm used to make fonts. I do use fontforge, but not thrilled with it. What I mean is there needs to be a drop and drag pgm (like windows can do), where I build the glyphs in inkscape and drag them into the font pgm, line them up and done. Fontforge basically uses the dos type commands, and it's slow to work with and not real intuitive (at least to me). After I created the glyphs, each one had to be imported individually, and then they all went kinda wonky, for lack of a better word, so it was like re-drawing them within fontforge. I thought all I had to do was create in Inkscape and that would be the hardest part.

Moini

Postby Moini » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:54 pm

I was able to import the test font I created directly from the file, after creating an SVG font with Inkscape. Perhaps you could use a different workflow? I think there's a long and exhaustive, detailed description how to do that somewhere...
Ah, here:
http://cleversomeday.com/inkscape-dings/

(you don't need the online font convertor, fontforge can open the file just fine)

You may also want to take a look into this manual for fontforge, which is a very powerful, professional font creation software (I also don't find it intuitive, but it works for the professional users, so probably functionality outweighs the decoration):
http://designwithfontforge.com/

I'm not sure what you mean with the 'DOS type commands' - are you saying you need to use the command line for using fontforge?... I have a graphical user interface - ugly as hell, sure, but works.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:02 pm

I'm trying to follow the last little bit of discussion. I keep getting stuck on "integral". I'm suspecting you mean "integer" (whole numbers). Is it the nodes that you want snapped to whole number coordinates, in Inkscape? If it's Inkscape, then snapping the nodes to a pixel grid should work. But if it's something else, like Fontforge, well....probably only a few people here, will know about that.

But there must be a forum for Fontforge somewhere? Or IRC?

If the font that you made with powerstroke, is still powerstroke when you import them or open them in Fontforge, that might explain why they change ("wonky", you said). It would probably be safer to convert everything to regular paths, before taking them into another program. Although I'm just guessing.

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:02 am

I have used the fontforge (FF) manual extensively, some of it goes over my head. I couldn't figure out a way to upload the svg directly, thx for that cleversday link, will look when I have more time. yes, I mean the command line for dos, even opening a file is a pain.
There is a forum for FF, kinda, but it's more like a mailing list. It's nothing like the Inkscape forum. yes, integral is integer. Doesn't have to be on the whole number, but quarter, half, three fourths, not sure if anything else is ok. . I had a lot of issues using the power stroke, and did convert them to reg paths, and then they were no longer locked into the integer node. Somehow, someway, the nodes keep changing, they aren't locked in. Can't even explain it. But it is a huge time waster. The problem is that say when drawing a curve on the glyph 'C', each node needs to be just a little bit offset, so you can't snap a group of nodes, which means that you have to go back and set each one individually! Unless there is something I am missing. sure hope there is but I haven't figured out a faster or better way. If would be great to be able to highlight a bunch of nodes, and be able to click on some extension that snaps to the closest integer. Would be good if we could draw where the node only goes there too.

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:08 am

It can't be an integer, if is a half, quarter, etc. Integers are whole numbers, 1.0, 2.0, etc. There is the PixelSnap extension, which tries to move all nodes to the nearest whole number coordinates. But it doesn't seem to be successful, except in the very simplest of objects.

So when the nodes are changing places, you mean this is in Inkscape? It must be in Fontforge, because otherwise I know you know you can share an SVG file, for input from the peanut gallery ;)

I seem to recall at one point, you had 2 LPEs applied to some of the characters, so that's what I think of first. It sounds like there's something "live" in there, if it seems to be changing on its own. But again, I'm still not sure where this is happening.

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:47 pm

It's in Inkscape where it's off, for instance inkscape has 3 decimal places (x/y), so I may put a node on 60.995, where it needs to be on 61.000. All I can say is that FF calls .25, .50 .75 integer numbers, yeah, I thought it was a whole number too, but that's what I can figure out, don't know why.

Moini - If I can get this method to work, and that file converter works, I'd love to use that vs FF. I tried the font editor, can't get the glyph to preview at all. I added tons of places, can see the black boxes at the bottom, I selected my 'a', highlighted the glyph line and clicked on 'get curves from selection' does not bring it into the preview pane. any ideas why? That tut must be from an earlier version, but it's similar enough. I've played with it before, did get the preview, but now can't. errrrrr. Well, at least the template that pops up looks exactly like what I had created myself, that's a plus note!

Update: I finally got the c and the e to preview, but, nothing else. And, though they are the same physical size, the e previews much smaller than the c. Since it's 2:00 am, I'll play with it later and do a prt scrn, Might ditch the entire thing and open a new template. I don't understand why black boxes appear some of the time. Hoping my laptop isn't too old to create a font, it's on it's last leg. still use win 7, are there known issues with that?
Last edited by flamingolady on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moini

Postby Moini » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:24 pm

I honestly don't know the answer to most of your questions, flamingolady. cleversomeday made a video, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KX-e6sijGE

Can you try if that helps?

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:05 am

Moini - that video answered it, yay. and thanks. Needed to do a path union. Still some glitches, but figuring it out. here's a good one, it wouldn't preview my 'd', no matter what, even after path union and a simplify. Then I tried using my 'b' and flipping it, but the preview then showed it as a 'b' vs the 'd'. So somehow it remembers.... spooky. lol. Also, my 'd' is one of those paths where the nodes keeps duplicating itself, even after you've deleted the node. (That's another thread though).
Wish I had more time, dealing with mult medical issues, so hoping I can finish this. This way is SO simple, I love it. Looking forward to the converter program, it seems simple.

Moini

Postby Moini » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:42 am

Make sure to save your transforms as 'optimized' (Edit > Preferences > Behaviour > Transforms: Store transformations)- sounds like it ignores transforms to me. If that's not the reason for the flipped b/d, then I don't have any other ideas currently.
You won't need the convertor, if you want to use fontforge in the next step, because it *can* import SVG font files. If you want to skip fontforge, then that'll probably be fine (but I hesitate recommending any third-party websites of which I don't know how trustworthy they are).

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:03 pm

Will do re: the transformations. I 'played' with the flipped b and re-unioned it a few times, and it finally worked. Some of these, even after path union just don't appear. Getting there though. I assume I can put upper case, lower case and numbers, characters all in one file. Do you put the nodes at integers? FF says it 'could' cause issues down the road if you don't, may not render well with some programs.
I've been unable to figure out how to do anything but import each glyph by itself into FF, will def look into uploading just one file, that would be so awesome. FF changes each glyph somehow, lost a lot of time dealing with that.
Just don't have a lot of time this week. Appreciate the help, Brynn and Moini.
Update: what's the difference between optimized and preserved under transformations. Mine was set to preserved, so I switched it to opt.

Moini

Postby Moini » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:20 am

Yes, all letters go into one file.

The difference is in the XML code for the SVG (Inkscape also tells you when you hover over the two options, btw.).

E.g. if you scale a path up, and have it set to 'preserve', it will just add a rule as to how much bigger the object is supposed to be to the code, but will not change the path data itself. Basically, if you duplicate the size of an object, it will write that down as 2*object (simplified, it looks different in the code).

If you set it to optimized, it will, whereever possible, recalculate the positions of the nodes, and the shape of the connecting curves, and rewrite the path data.

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:01 am

Question on the Inkscape font Editor - how do you add glyphs via input methods and Insert Unicode Control characters'? I haven't been successful at all. Can't find any documentation in the manual on the font editor at all, and searching the vids, etc hasn't helped. Basically I have a bunch of glyphs that I can't figure out how to enter (the 4 card suits - hearts, clubs, etc, trademark, copyright, a few math symbols, etc). I did figure out that you have to right click to the right of the glyph number field, which brings up the menu, but I'm lost after that.

Update: figured out how to 'steal' the codes and previews from other fonts and then copy my glyph in the glyph box. Have to find fonts for a few more glyphs, for some reason the UK pound/currency sign doesn't work. I still don't know how to use the input methods (but that never stopped me, lol).
Last edited by flamingolady on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moini

Postby Moini » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:01 am

You can just copy-paste the unicode characters, I'd think. Visit a website that has them all, like unicodetable.com, to access them easily by a simple search.
Double-clicking on the fields works to edit them.
When I right-click, I get the option 'Remove' shown.

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:28 am

You have to double click to the right of the glyph number, in precisely the right place, then a box opens up, ensure your cursor is in it, and then right click. confusing right? I stumbled upon it.
I tried pasting the unicode, tried holding down the ctrl key, with the unicode, tried typing it, can't get anything to work, can't find the trick. You also have to have the icon in the preview or it won't show, so you'd never know if it works or not. sure wish they was some documentation that went along with this.

Moini

Postby Moini » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:59 pm

Oh, I see.

Unicode control characters are definitely not what you're looking for when you want to add game card icons.

Also - at least for me - there's no way to use the unicode code input, as you do with text on the canvas.

Those input methods I get listed are something entirely different. They change the way my keyboard works - they do not give special meaning to keys typed in a specific order. Use copy-paste.

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:28 am

Glad you were able to figure out how to use the input methods.

Made some progress, I did use copy paste. I was able to copy the icons from other fonts, (opened up the Text/Glyphs menu and it docks with the SVG font Editor menu).

Got the glyphs uploaded, even the card suits, and opened up in FontForge, wow that was fast! This method would be great if I can figure a few things out.

I still have to figure out how to copy the control characters like space bar (I added the slots, but not sure how to copy those characters from one FontForge file to another. any ideas)?

Update: re-encoded the entire font, which finally named the glyphs correctly. Think I'm on the right road finally.

Q- 1. is there a way to import an individual glyph from the Inkscape SVG Font editor?
2. Is there a way to add the space glyph, return, etc in Inkscape?

I only see kerning pairs in Inkscape, so curious how it handles kerning, that's primarily why I want to use FF, for kerning.
Last edited by flamingolady on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:40 am

Brynn - here's an excerpt from the FF manual, thought you'd be interested:

Non-Integral Coordinates
In TrueType fonts all coordinates must be on integral coordinates. When FontForge generates your font it will round any non-integral coordinates -- sometimes this is fine, but it can also introduce small uglinesses into your font that you won't be aware of in fontforge. (Implied points are allowed to have half-integral values (2.5 is ok, 2.25 is not)).

Return to “General Discussions”