Let's draw holiday clipart!

Vote or enter in Inkscapeforum.com competitions.
marydonata

Re: Let's draw holiday clipart!

Postby marydonata » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:37 pm

Very beatiful drawings! Here it is my drawing with a little animation, and italian text!

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:55 am

Hi Pippi,
Welcome to this little exercise! Suddenly it's become so popular, lol.

Very nice card and animated GIF. I'm curious what you used for the animation? I've experimented with GIMP for animation, and I know there are a lot of apps out there for animating GIFs.

Also, I wanted to comment on the....I'm not sure what to call it, confetti or curly ribbons maybe? Anyway, you might have noticed that where the ribbon overlaps itself, that you get the negative space (usually white). If you don't want that, you can get rid of it in the Fill and Stroke dialog. Over on the right side there are 2 buttons that are sort of heart-shaped, one with a hole in it. If you click the solid shape (without the whole) the ribbon will be solid too (without white in the overlaps).

I like how you made the highlights on the ornaments. I never would have thought to make the highlights in a sort of random way (rather than single light source). But it really is effective, because more often than not, there would be more than one light source on a xmas ornament (especially on a tree with lights!). I also like the mixture of stars and blurred shapes. In the animated one, it looks like really cool snow!

Hi marydonata,
Wow, you've turned some ornaments into snow globes...sort of! Really cool :D
PS - You're welcome to put a link to your blog in your forum signature -- if you want to.

Hi Inkspots,
Aaah, the L-System extension. Of course! I haven't used it much, because the math formulas are scary :D

And yes, the Calligraphy tool is what I settled on for ribbons. For the one on the candy cane, I drew just a single line to represent just the flow, and then one side of ribbon, then duplicated and offset. So there may be more than one way to do it. I've have found the Calligraphy tool to be a bit slow. Maybe it's because I haven't used it very much, and it takes me a while to get the right combination of all the various settings. I suspect it's much easier for those using graphics tablets, with all the fancy pressure sensitivity and acceleration features. But I'm getting there. I don't know if I have a good enough handle on that tool to write a tutorial....yet. But I've written a few, and do enjoy sharing what I've learned. Maybe after I finish mine (to learn as much as possible) we could collaborate?

You mentioned using a book to learn about Inkscape? I just wanted to make sure you know about the online manual, found in Help menu > Inkscape manual. I haven't actually looked at other Inkscape books or manuals, but I find tavmjong bah's Guide really helpful. There are some areas where it's a bit sketchy (mostly for more advanced features) but for most beginner and intermediate skills, it's excellent.

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to say thanks for participating in this little exercise. I learn SO much from looking at the work that others do, and even more if we have a little discussion. So I really appreciate when you share :D

Also, anyone can start a topic if you have a nice exercise, or challenge in mind. (We really have to come up with a good name for these things, lol! Because "competition" isn't exactly an accurate word for it.) Anyway, if you have a particular skill that you want to explore, or subject matter, please feel free to start a new thread.

So, happy holidays for 2011 - 2012! Keep the good work coming! (Whether you post your results here or not, just keep drawing!)

All best :D

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:23 pm

Hey, here`s something new....

:tool_zoom: <<< click! - but, those with a cheaper tickets should go this way >>> :!:

brynn

Postby brynn » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:01 pm

How very original, Maestral!

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:15 pm

Pippi2011 Oh I do like your greeting card! The red and gold colour scheme, the look of the ornaments, even the negative space in the ribbon streamers. I think it looks kind of cool in this case.

Maestral Lol, an odometer! what a great concept. Its very well done, I like it. Is the leather texture done with a filter?
no, never mind don't tell me,I'll just enjoy the card and not concern myself with that for now.

Marydonata I like your animated ornaments. please tell us what software you used to make the animation, I'm so curious about that.

brynn I'm told you can find L-system formulas for over 100 different kinds of plants online somewhere, but I haven't found them yet, and I have really searched. There are about 9 l-system formulas in the online inkscape guide, and I think the ones I used started out as variations of one of those. Yes I know about the Inkscape manual and help tutorials (the tutorials were installed on my computer, along with Inkscape, and the latest versions are available online as well.) and I'm grateful they're there, I refer to them fairly often. Thanks for all the good info, it never hurts to mention where good learning resources can be found. I must admit, I don't use the calligraphy tool right now. I cant get the settings right for getting a result I like without the pressure and angle features the tablet and pen would provide. I'll probably have to reset it back to defaults if I'm going to use it for anything.

In an earlier post brynn said
We could make clipart for all kinds of holidays, and have our own little collection
That sounds like a great idea.

Some clipart for Christmas, Ragdolls , Country Toy Father Christmas, Gingerbread Programmer
possibly for accenting forum posts, holiday specials or gifts on websites or blogs ?
Image_ _ _ Image _ _ _ Image _ _ Image

We're all busy with the Holidays here, visiting, and shopping, wrapping gifts, baking and cooking wonderful Holiday Foods, drinking hot chocolate with melting marshmallows and all that kind of thing. It's a Hectic, busy time of year, but I do love it.
Happy Holidays everyone, see you after Christmas.

marydonata

Postby marydonata » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:02 pm

@Inkspots For the animation I used Gimp, it's easy to make animations with Gimp, like this one: Image

@Brynn Thank you for your invitation, I will put a link to my blog in my forum signature.

brynn

Postby brynn » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:59 am

Oh gosh, Inkspots, you're so creative, and such a good artist! Those are adorable clips :D

marydonata, I wish I could read Italian. Your blog looks very interesting -- something about sewing or needlecrafts? Plus I wish I could read Italian so I could participate in the Italian Inkscape forum. If I had known, back when I was in school, that such a thing as the internet was in my future, I certainly would have placed more importance on learning foreign languages, lol.

RM.

Postby RM. » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:33 pm

I'm glad this is going well, Brynn.

Well, i didn't make a clipart but an icon as my usual ( :lol: ) and i didn't had a lot of time for this, so i'm not really happy with the outcome. I'm going to post it anyway.
Good job everyone ..and Merry Christmas!

I'm just someone who likes to create.

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:43 pm

Oh my, it seems I just can't stay away. -sigh-
I ran into a problem making some last minute Drawings, and thought I'd stop by the forum for just a minute, to ask for help.
There's so much to hold my attention! Just when I think I'm going to go, I see something else I absolutely have to check out. (Especially in this thread.)

Marydonata Thanks for satisfying my curiosity about your animation, and I visited you blog.
It looks very interesting, and I'm hoping google translate will help me read it. That Banner looks very good on your homepage.

RM Your Christmas gift Icon/clipart would make a very nice button for a free gift, or gift card Link on a website.
[Edit: If you did this in Inkscape it's totally amazing. The bow is beautifully done. The lighting is dark, but also realistic.
I like the texture of the wrapping paper. This image seems very good to me. I like it a lot, It's warm and cheery and it made me smile the second I saw it.]
Merry Christmas

brynn :lol:
You made me blush. Thanks for the kind words.
Do we need to try and stick with upcoming Holidays, or can we just add clipart for any Holiday, any time?
Last edited by Inkspots on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:20 pm

OMG, RM., that amazing!
Absolutely realistic!
:D

Inkspots, my original idea was for any holiday anytime. With all of these little exercises we've been doing, anyone is more than welcome to post drawings to the topics, whenever they happen to have read it and decide to participate. And as often as one wants. For example, I've recently been working on a realistic drawing of some grapes, which I'll eventually post in the first one that RM. started (draw some realistic fruit). And that's even though I already posted a drawing of a pear. I think I submitted 3 or 4 drawings for one of the topics! The whole idea is just to practice your skills, and get comments on your work; as well as to learn from others' work too.

These exercises are in the Competitions forum, but they aren't really competitions. Just opportunities to grow and improve Inkscape skills :D

You know, if this is something you do a lot of, and you want to seriously share your images, you might want to consider starting an account at Open Clipart Library (http://www.openclipart.org/). There you can make the clipart available for download. I'm not really an artist, although I aspire to be. Those candy canes are really the first work I've done with Inkscape, that I think is good enough to share. So I might make an account. But it looks like you do this a lot, and have the kind of skills that others share at OCL. So maybe something to consider?

I'm still working on my New Years' bells :D

marydonata

Postby marydonata » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:05 am

@Brynn Yes, my blog is about sewing, knitting and so on. And about Inkscape, since I learn drawing with this useful software.

Best Wishes for Christmas and the New Year to everybody!

brynn

Postby brynn » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:57 pm

Ok, just in time for the new year:

Unfortunately, just as I was uploading it, I realized it's not finished yet. I need to make the bells a little bigger. And plus, I need some loose ends for the ribbon. So the final version is still upcoming. But it's getting close :D

(Comments welcomed.)

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:54 pm

brynn that is already wonderful. I love the shapes and shadows in the bow.
I can see what your saying about the bells, right now the bow and Text draw most of my attention away from them.
So, maybe the bells need to be a bit bigger, and the text a bit smaller?
The shading, and shapes of the bells are very good,the lovely clean lines, and graceful curves make them very appealing.
How does it look when you pull the gradient handles down to make the pink colour in the background begin nearer the bottom of the image?
I like the Card very much so far, but I think those bells deserve top billing and maybe the bright background and other, larger elements are grabbing too much attention. About the ribbon needing loose ends, I think you can get by with leaving those out if you want to, so long as the bells are more dominant. All the Gold seems very green but I get the impression that was what you wanted. About me and OCL, and clipart in general: I'll pm if that’s ok, I don’t want to hijack this thread for discussing that, and the ribbon tutorial idea.

Marydonata I've been reading your blog with the help of google translate. You have some wonderful projects posted, and I enjoyed it very much. I couldn't post comments there, so I just thought I'd mention it, and thank you for publishing it and sharing the link with us.

brynn

Postby brynn » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:27 am

Ok, here's the final version:

I made several small changes. And surprisingly, the tiny shadow that I added to the clapper seems to me to have the biggest impact.

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:57 am

Brynn, your card is Lovely, and has exactly the celebratory feeling that is wanted in a New years greeting.
You’re right about that tiny shadow under the clapper, it makes a surprising difference to the whole image. The ribbon tails are very nice touch. The slightly gold green, or greenish gold of the ribbon goes well with the sunrise colours of the background. I can see some of the small adjustments you've made to various elements of the image, and when I first looked at this version my eye was immediately drawn to the Bells. I must tell you, I love those bells. ( and that Bow that seems somehow energetic and almost as though it wants to shout "Hurray!" ) Seeing this cheerful greeting has made my whole day brighter.

brynn

Postby brynn » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks Inkspots, you're too kind!
I think it's interesting that you see green in the gold. I assume you mean the darker shadow color on the wrong side of the ribbon? The base for that is actually the dark yellow color from the Inkscape palette (#808000). Then the even darker parts are a partially transparent black gradient. (Also interesting, is that I often think black is a dark green, in certain situations, lol.) I forget where the color of the front side of the ribbon came from -- probably a whiter version of the same.

Now it's time to move on toward Valentines Day! (Or really, any holiday ;))

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Hmm, I'm stuck for ideas for valentine's day.
I was going to do a lace heart, but bending the lace without ruining it is proving to be more of a challenge than I expected.
How about little lambs and fluffy baby chicks instead?
(Is it obvious I'm trying to go the super easy route and squeeze two holidays into a single clipart?)

Edit: I had a test export of this lonely little one chick Heart, so I've put it back here, where it belongs.
Last edited by Inkspots on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

brynn

Postby brynn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:50 pm

Oh, such a really cute chick!
Yeah I'm not sure about the chick/heart combo, but it's really a cute image. It reminds me a little of the valentines we had when I was a kid -- hearts with all kinds of animals. Of course the animals would be delivering the message on the card. And the littler hearts almost look like the bubbles leading up to a....what are they called, text balloons? Like the chick could say "luv my peeps"! (A la back in the day, but with a modern twist.)

And thanks for reminding me to come up with some ideas for Valentines. All weekend I'm bored with my current Inkscape projects, and can't settle on a new idea. But now I can focus and start something new (and small, hopefully). Yeah, I'm kind of thinking about lace too. Maybe I'll start a new exercise/challenge topic, for drawing lace, since that's what i'm thinking about at the moment?

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:44 pm

Lol,
Thanks brynn, it was the best I could come up with to draw quickly.
Seriously...I was really stumped for any kind of a valentines day idea. I remember those cute little kids valentines, with animals and farmers, and trains and things. Now that you've mentioned them, maybe I can come up with a better idea for valentines day. ( but I'll probably use my easter Lambs anyway)

I've been working on lace a lot lately. I've made lace ovals, circles, squares (what a nightmare I had trying to figure out how to do such a simple thing.) and various edgings. The heart shape is probably going to have to be cleaned up with very careful node editing, if I can get a version thats not too badly distorted. [edited out some rambling here]

brynn said
All weekend I'm bored with my current Inkscape projects, and can't settle on a new idea.

Oh yes, I know that feeling! Maybe working on a clip will help. Luckily they don't have to be complicated, they're small so it goes quickly,
and we can just have fun with them. I'm keeping copies of my favorites that others have done, and can't wait for a chance to use them.

I'll add another chick to the heart image later, so the clip makes more sense.
I'm going to call it "Young love" and pretend it's romantic. :P

Last minute thought: Hold on a sec, maybe I can finish the heart clip now.
I love that the image auto-updates when I change it.

[Edit: I left the next bit in so you can see my stupid mistake and know what happened.]
Oh, wait... maybe that will be confusing since no one else will see the version I originally posted. Oops! I should have thought of that.
( I already saved over the original.) I'm going to have to just plead sleep deprivation, my apologies to anyone who wanted to see the single chick version of the heart clip....its gone already. I promise I'll try to remember not to do that again, even after a long study binge when I've stolen a little time to visit the forum.

[ Another Edit: I put the first little chick back, so here's the final version of the heart.]

brynn

Postby brynn » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:08 pm

Even cuter!
Gotta go start on something myself....it was way late last night :D

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi Friends,
Here's a wip of my valentine clipart, and this is at 500% so the finished version will be much smaller. Of course it's one of those little candy hearts with messages stamped on them. Actually I guess it looks a little more realistic, than clipart. So I've missed the mark a little on that. But I may make some more. I've been playing with different tools and techniques for making lace, but still nothing really great.

Meanwhile, I need some advice about the shadow. I'm going to use interpolation to make it fuzzier towards the far end of the shadow. But I'm not sure I've got the right shape and angle right. I just used skewing to get to the current shape. I guess the light's coming from 10:00 or 10:30 on the analog clock dial.

So questions -- Is the shape and size about right? Is the angle ok?

The way it is now, it looks like it's standing up on some flat surface. But of course we know it would be impossible for that to actually happen. So I'm thinking I should maybe move the shadow further down, so that it looks like it's hovering over some flat surface. Although I guess that's even less realistic, lol. What do you all think about the shadow placement?

I've thought about maybe making an image that's a little pile of 6 or 8 pieces of these candy hearts, so I could use several different messages (YOU'RE MINE, MY GAL, MY LOVE, etc, etc.) on them. But talk about a nightmare with angles and shadows, lol! Maybe I'll save that idea for when I finally decide to get Blender :mrgreen:

Thanks for your help :D

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:49 pm

Might be better to have grin heart? ( rather than green ,)

Have you tried to wait till 14:00 or 14:30 on the analog clock dial? As is, I think you gave to much importance to the shadow it self.

Also, if you`r not up for a frontal approach (heart laying on some surface with dropshadow) maybe this could look better with some more space above the heart? Could the heart be on top of some small hill, like on a path crossing over that small hill? A few drops of perspective (on heart) would also spiced the whole thing ,)
:tool_zoom: <<< click! - but, those with a cheaper tickets should go this way >>> :!:

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:54 pm

brynn,
I really like your candy heart! Yes you really can stand Candy Hearts on end. Different brands and sizes of Candy conversation hearts have slightly different shapes and finishes, but the points are usually quite round, and may even be slightly flattened. Flatten the point a bit, and it won't look odd that it's standing on end. Maestral is right about the shadow , its very prominent and looks too dark with the image at this large size. Can you post your Candy heart again, at actual size? I'd like to see how it would really look in use. Maybe that prominent shadow will look Marvelous when the heart is very tiny. The Lime green colour of the candy is perfect.

About realism in clipart: there are really no rules.
The clipart I like best as a clipart user, is always the image that looks realistic, and has interesting detail.
If that's the style you prefer to draw in...just relax and go with it, it's a Good thing.

brynn

Postby brynn » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:46 pm

Oh no, the shadow is not finished yet. I just threw on a color. My goal at the moment is to make sure the shape and position is right, before I start interpolating and blurring and finessing the color/transparency. It will be lighter when I'm finished with it, and look a little smaller. At least that's what I have in mind. And that's just a screenshot, which I purposely cropped closely to the heart to save space in the message. Of course when I'm ready to finish it, the borders will be further away. The background will probably be transparent as well. I just made it this color, to help see the highlights and that the clipping worked. Would you like to see it on white background?

I did think about adding some perspective Maestral, but it's going to be so small at the finished size, that I don't think it will be needed. Ok, here's a 100% version. (Still a screenshot.)

I guess a very tiny bit of perspective on the text might help? I might make the shadow a little longer and skinnier, but not sure yet. Actually I've thought about leaving out the shadow altogether. But the image needs something else. I've also thought about drawing a thumb and forefinger, as if someone were holding it up to read the message on it. Maybe I could make several different versions, but I have so many long-term projects already in progress....and I still want to make a valentine greeting card, lol.

Anyway, thanks for your comments :D

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:18 pm

I think the size, shape and angle of the shadow are fine, and wouldn't look as good if you stretched it out.
Thanks for posting the smaller one, it really does make a world of difference to see it at this size.

Return to “Competitions”