Let's draw holiday clipart!

Vote or enter in Inkscapeforum.com competitions.
brynn

Re: Let's draw holiday clipart!

Postby brynn » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Thanks Inkspots :D
I haven't gotten back to that image, but I will finish soon. Although now I'm leaning more towards drawing a thumb and forefinger :? :roll:

Anyway, meanwhile, I did just a couple of quick kind of greeting cards. I never was successful making a depiction of lace. I played for hours with the L-System extension, and really created some interesting effects with it. But none that I could get to curve around (like a heart shape) without distorting it. Meanwhile, I came across a border design that I had made a while back, and realized it somewhat resembles lace. Can't curve it either, but it makes for an interesting effect, I think. It was just a black border, but I changed colors for added interest in the first one. In the second one, I just combined all the paths and differenced it from the "card".

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:44 pm

Happy valentines day brynn!

I think we really do need to Give all these lovely,whimsical, and Just plain awesome greeting cards their own topic.
They outnumber the clipart in this thread, they're fun to work on, and they'd be easier for people to find if they had a topic of their own.
About lace: aww well, the lace thing is kind of tricky. Maybe I should rethink my decision not to tell the forum the sad, (but possibly boring) story of my attempts so far. :P
I really like the borders on your greeting card though. I also like the bright colour scheme, with the border accents of white and black.

I still haven't figured out how to make the Lambs look like Valentine's day clipart, but I do know how I would use them on a card. I'll try to post another clip before V-day.

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:37 pm

Happy Valentine`s day, girls
Hope you`ll like this one
:tool_zoom: <<< click! - but, those with a cheaper tickets should go this way >>> :!:

Pippi2011

Postby Pippi2011 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:55 am

This is my clipart for Valentine's, red rose for Valentine's day.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:25 am

Oh, nice guys!
I love the rose, Pippi2011 :D If I might make one comment? There's one petal (kind of a big inverted U, the topmost object) that kind of sticks out, because it doesn't seem to have the same kind of shading/blurring as the other petals.....or it seems like the center part of the rose should put a small shadow on it (like the other petals). I think it's more the missing shadow than the shading (if that makes sense). Wow though, I do really like it anyway :D

Love yours too, Maestral :D I like that font that you used. What is it called? It doesn't look like any of the standard Windows fonts.

I think we should leave those images that either are, look like or could be greeting cards, here, because they still could be used for clip art. (It can be really tricky to break certain messages out of existing topics, and use them to start new topics. Often it leaves the discussion broken and confusing.) But you're welcome to start another topic for greeting cards. If you want it to be sort of like a challenge, or like Inkscape exercises (like we've been doing here) start it here in competitions forum. But if you're looking for finished works or works in progress, then start in those forums. (I realize there may be a fine line between Inkscape exercises/challenges/studies and work in progress, so it really depends on your goal for the topic.)

And speaking of new topics, I'm going to start one on using Inkscape to create lace (per our PMs). It will be in the Help forum, and I'll edit a link back here, after I start it. :D

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:34 am

@brynn,
glad you like it ,) font is Briquet
:tool_zoom: <<< click! - but, those with a cheaper tickets should go this way >>> :!:

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:55 pm

"Briquet" -- Oh yay, and it's free! It might be time for me to find some more fonts, but definitely I'll get this one :D

Ok, I've got the shadow interpolated. I can't say that I really love how it came out. I could probably play with it a tweak it here and there. But I don't think it's substantially going to look better. So now I've started drawing the thumb and forefinger, for a different version Image I'd like to learn more about drawing human figures, so studying a thumb and fingertip might be a simple place to start :D

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Ok, here's a rough draft of the new version. Any comments on the finger and thumb, just for size and shape? I always like to get the basic size, shape, proportions, angles, perspective, etc., established before I start adding color, shading and highlights, etc. Otherwise I'll end up having to change bunches of duplicates and clipping paths, which is really hard to do (keeping them all aligned, etc.) Actually I think I'll make a darker skin tone. I have fair coloring and pinkish skin, but I think a darker tone, like black (African) would make a nice contrast to the green candy.

Is the thumb too big? OH! I forgot to add a tiny bit of perspective to the first version (and this one). Well ok then :mrgreen: still some work to do :D

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi again :D
I'm looking through all my Inkscape work, to see if I have something worthy of submitting for the new image for the forum's visitor index page (viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11485). So I came across this little image. One of my favorite subjects for drawing with Inkscape is mandalas. To me, a mandala is anything drawn either inside, or related to a circle, so to me, this is sort of a mandala. (I realize that true mandalas have a little more restrictive definition.) But it looks like a ring of hearts. Maybe I'll do a little more with it....we'll see....but meanwhile, it's kind of original as far as clipart goes, right?

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi everyone,
I never did get another clip made.

Pippi, Your Rose is Beautiful.

Meastral,
Nice card, I like the satiny look and the colours, as well as the text you did for it.

Brynn,
You have been busy. :)
I like your candy heart, and I see you added the thumb and finger you were talking about. Very cute.
I think the thumb is just right, it doesn't look too big at all. The ring of hearts is nice to.

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:55 am

It looks like winter is ending and due to a few weeks till spring... hope this could be the wright place for posting

*it`s March written in cyrilic

480x640
1600x1200
1920x1200

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:48 pm

Maestral
It's not springtime here yet, but that is such a refreshing image it does make me think of spring.
Thanks for explaining the text, and that is lovely lettering .

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:36 am

@Inkspots

Glad you liked it ,)
I`ll make them monthly.. and eventually, I`ll post`em here too.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:07 am

Oh, what a fun project, Maestral!

You could also put them in the Finished Work forum, under a topic like "calendars" or something. I'm worried that they might not be seen in this topic, because it will eventually become quite long (already on 3rd page). Or some people start a topic where they put all their work. I kind of like that because visitors can see all your work in one place. (Although I will echo microUgly's comment, that the forum is not to be used as a permanent host. If or when the time comes that we have to start deleting older images, to make room for newer ones, it may be that those who keep all their work in one thread, don't get deleted. That's just my thought though -- who knows really.)

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:38 pm

^ Roger / Wilco ,)

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:37 pm

A quick little firecracker for US Independance day.

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:40 am

Hhhmmm, I've been so busy on a large image I'm working on, that I never have finished my valentine candy heart. I was going to add some shading and stuff to the thumb and finger. I will get around to it before too long, I hope :D

spaventapasseri started a new challenge for drawing an ice cream treat. I've started on mine, and if it doesn't come out too realistic, I'll post it here. Otherwise, I'll need to come up with some summery or July 4th clip art!

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:53 am

The winter Holidays are on thier way, so I thought I'd post a clip for Christmas.
considered posting the little truck, without trees and Christmas Logo...but I like this one better.
As always, if you want the SVG posted, just let me know.
I think people might want to remove the trees, or edit before use, but I'll just post the pngs unless someone wants the svg file.
There are some others that are almost ready, but I'm beginning to think I use too much red.
:|
Last edited by Inkspots on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:55 am

Well, I can see everyone's gorgeous drawings except for Brynn's candy canes! what gives with that, I even clicked on it, still won't open, ugh.
Gorgeous works, Inkspots, wow, gorgeous. Pippi, Mary, Maestral, (ok won't list everyone, it's starting to sound like Romper Room, lol). Gorgeous.
I've got some to share, but have to find something that isn't up for sale as clipart, or do something new (or I could post the link to them, but now sure that's kosher, not trying to sell here, esp since you'all are better artists than I am!).
will take a look and post something later, just had to say how much I love the ones posted here already!
dee

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:08 am

Hi Flamingo lady,
Glad you liked my clips, and thank you for the complimentary comments.
Do make us something and post it here though, please, please. Stick men are good ..I like them ( they're something I can draw )
uhmm a link to your sale sight probably wouldnt be kosher here, since this thread is for sharing freely, something fast and easy is great though.

P.s. I'm tempted to replace that firecracker, but I can never get concieted so long as its still out there for the world to see.
:P
Your right, Brynn's candy canes are just plain gone. no link..no explanation...just gone. I liked them, and I'm sorry not to see them here anymore.

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:56 am

well, somehow I just wiped out my post, oh well, one more time.
Here's a quick modern style Christmas card. If you straighten the lines, you could always make it a standard rectangle card. Feel free to use the idea for your personal use. I seem to be into frames this season.
Inkspots, thx for the nice words. Your artwork is SO good, and there are SO many good artists on here. The nice thing is that everyone can post at their own level, no matter what that is, we are each learning something new. I tend to find that I'm intermediate in most things, but quite the newbie in others, and I always learn from others, whether a critique or from the tutorials others are willing to share. BTW, your firecracker is fine! The top has depth, and it has a good gradient (and I know how long it took me to do a candle, which is quite similar, lol).

Brynn, where's the candy canes!?

anyone having a problem with Imageshack for uploading? seems to be down. edit - nevermind it's back now.

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:39 am

Flamingolady,
Your card is so adorable!
I think I'd use it just the way it is, though I might cut a mat to match the frame if I put it on a greeing card. That way I could keep those nice curves and still have a standard shaped card to mail.
I think it would be great on a gift tag to.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:19 pm

Yikes! I have had trouble, from time to time (and much too often for a place like ImageShack) where the images just disappear. Whenever I learn about it, I just upload them again. I think sometimes they just have servers go down, and the images eventually reappear. But otherwise, I can't explain it. I'll re-upload them :D

Edit
PS - I'm not sure what the problem was. I found the image visible at IS, but it seems to have a different URL than it used to have. Very strange!

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:45 pm

Brynn, I'm happy to see your candy canes are back.
:)

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:26 pm

Darn, hit enter and my entire post disappeard.urgggg.

ok, once again - can see Brynn's cany canes, yay, love the 2 colored ones. They had a note that they updated their servers, you can now work the cookies and delete or whatever easier if you register yourself on there. Brynne, your candy canes inspired me to post solo candy canes with a red bow pic.

Return to “Competitions”