Inkscape Challenge - 2012

Vote or enter in Inkscapeforum.com competitions.
User avatar
RM.
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:33 am
Location: Italy, Sardegna

Re: Inkscape Challenge - 2012

Postby RM. » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:51 am

brynn wrote:Coco is not the only one who may be confused, and frankly, not the only one who has been frustrated with the outcome this project (speaking only for myself).


You and Coco don't even know how much time i spent thinking about of what this project should become. I had a lot of doubts and a lot of answers to find for my questions. So if there's someone frustrated, that's probably me. And you what? I'm fine with that, because that's what i wanted from the start, building something related to Inkscape.

brynn wrote:The images posted in the Inkscape Challenge 2012 Gallery (http://inkscapechallengegallery.tumblr.com/) were not originally meant to be part of the contest.


The Gallery idea wasn't even on my mind at the beginning. It came later. Another rule broken.

brynn wrote:some of the organizers


We are talking about me.

brynn wrote:The contest was effectively, though not officially, cancelled; and with no public announcement!


When Spaventapasseri told me this i was surprised. Can you please send me a copy of the message where i say this? I'm sure that i talked about the doubts i had, but saying that the project was cancelled.. You know very well that, often, my English, doesn't really allow me to express my thoughts as i would. Are you sure it wasn't a misunderstanding?

brynn wrote:In the beginning, I was very enthusiastic about participating in this, and I spent hundreds of hours working on an image. I find it frustrating (at the very least) that the challenge did not see its announced completion. I am not happy about that.


I remember i told you to not worry about this. If you didn't finish in time, there would always be the chance to be part of the next year challenge.

brynn wrote:Although in fairness, I do believe the artists gave their permission.


Did i asked for your permission? Yes. Why would i didn't the same with the others?

brynn wrote:They are somehow, now, being called part of the contest.

I think that voting on this gallery of images which were NOT submitted as part of the contest (as far as I know) is inappropriate, if it is to take the place of the originally announced contest! If it is a new or different contest, it should be announced as such, in my opinion.


There are only nine drawings, and it's the first year. Why don't give a chance to anyone to be part of a challenge poll? They were already there. Is it that important for you that only the four from the "realism challenge" take part of it?

Honestly, i never meant to be dishonest or unfair, nor i wanted to break down anyone for their skills. I may have my faults, but all i wanted to do was building a project where i could collaborate with people like me, interested on Inkscape and graphic design.

Because collaboration is the keyword. Without it, you don't build something good in a day. Sending a drawing isn't collaborating.
And that's what i wanted from Rents, collaborate with him. I didn't receive any reply from him.
Is he upset? Did he really care about the project? Was the drawing finished? Why did he submitted that late? I don't know, I'm still waiting an answer. I just postponed his participation because i wanted to talk with him.Is this that bad for you?

Brynn, you're saying that I'm ignoring those artist, but that's not true. Feel free to be or not be part of it. It's easy, just tell.
I'm just someone who likes to create.

User avatar
Coco
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:09 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Inkscape Challenge - 2012

Postby Coco » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:08 pm

Today, i give Rents the information that you want to talk with him.

User avatar
brynn
Posts: 9612
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:34 pm
Location: western USA
Contact:

Re: Inkscape Challenge - 2012

Postby brynn » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:31 pm

RM. I do not take lightly the time and effort you have put into this project. As I said, the site still does promote Inkscape, and I understand that's what it is supposed to do. I very much appreciate your efforts to help promote Inkscape. It's just that this contest "went off the rails" when you decided not to use the submitted images. And I have to say I'm shocked that you don't see any problem with this!

No, the contest never was officially cancelled. That's one of the problems. When you decided not to post the submissions, and instead use the images in the Gallery for the contest, it was effectively cancelled. In case of a problem with translation, that means that the moment you decided not to use the submitted images, the contest really was over, even though it was not officially over, because there was no announcement.

RM. wrote:
brynn wrote:In the beginning, I was very enthusiastic about participating in this, and I spent hundreds of hours working on an image. I find it frustrating (at the very least) that the challenge did not see its announced completion. I am not happy about that.

I remember i told you to not worry about this. If you didn't finish in time, there would always be the chance to be part of the next year challenge.

I was going to submit the part that I had finished. But once you told me....oh gosh, I don't still have your PM (we only get 50 PMs in this forum, so I have to delete old ones fairly often). Anyway, you said something to the effect that you decided not to have voting on the images that were submitted (because there weren't very many, and they weren't realistic). I remember suggesting that you wait until the deadline, because maybe there would be more. But you replied with sincerity about not voting on submitted images. So I thought, why should I bother submitting anything (even my 1/4 finished image) if there's not going to be voting.

RM. wrote:There are only nine drawings, and it's the first year. Why don't give a chance to anyone to be part of a challenge poll? They were already there. Is it that important for you that only the four from the "realism challenge" take part of it?

There are 9 drawings in the Gallery, which are images that you chose to put there. They were not submitted to the contest.

I don't prevent anyone from voting. Anyone is welcome to vote. But they are not voting on images that were submitted to the contest. They are voting on images that you (and apparently you alone) chose for the Gallery. In effect, the contest as it currently stands, is choosing a voters' favorite from out of your personal favorite images.

Yes, it IS that important, because that's what the contest announcement promised! I don't think it's right to announce a contest, and then not use the images that were submitted to the contest, just because they don't meet your expectations. I know that there are certain rules for the submitted images, and I would assume that you would disqualify those which don't meet requirements. But all images which meet the requirements should be in the contest. I think it's not right to pretend that the Gallery images are actually images that were submitted to the contest. Because they clearly were not.

What's important for me is that the images which were submitted to the contest, be posted and voted on, as was promised by the contest announcement.

RM. wrote:
brynn wrote:some of the organizers

We are talking about me.

I wasn't sure if spaventapasseri had chosen some of the images in the Gallery, or approved of your decision not to vote on submitted images.

RM. wrote:Because collaboration is the keyword. Without it, you don't build something good in a day. Sending a drawing isn't collaborating.
And that's what i wanted from Rents, collaborate with him. I didn't receive any reply from him.
Is he upset? Did he really care about the project? Was the drawing finished? Why did he submitted that late? I don't know, I'm still waiting an answer. I just postponed his participation because i wanted to talk with him.Is this that bad for you?


"Sending a drawing isn't collaborating." Is that a typing error?

I don't know anything about this person in the other forum. If the submission was late, and you want to be strict about the rules....well then it can't be used for the contest. But on the other hand, none of submitted drawings are part of the contest anyway!! That person may be thinking something like I thought -- if the submitted drawings aren't going to be voted on, why bother submitting it at all!

You honestly don't see any problem with changing the rules without at least announcing the changes? To me, changing the rules of a contest, so near to the end of a contest, is inappropriate. But announcing them, and stating the reason, would at least lend a sense of honesty to the issue. Although I think changing the rules at all is questionable. In my opinion, if one wants to run a contest, and they want it to be a highly regarded contest within a community, it should be run with impeccable integrity -- even the first year, and maybe especially the first year!

As I said before, I hope this project continues to grow, and meets all the hopes and dreams that you have for it. I think it may be a few years before it overcomes this stumble, so early in what I hope will be a long life for the project. But I know of 4 or 5 people who probably won't be participating next year. What would have been the core of next year's participants, probably can't be depended on to participate next year. And you may have lost inkscapeforum.de entirely? I hope not, honestly I do. But they certainly have a good reason for not wanting to participate.

User avatar
RM.
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:33 am
Location: Italy, Sardegna

Re: Inkscape Challenge - 2012

Postby RM. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:46 am

brynn wrote:RM. I do not take lightly the time and effort you have put into this project. As I said, the site still does promote Inkscape, and I understand that's what it is supposed to do. I very much appreciate your efforts to help promote Inkscape. It's just that this contest "went off the rails" when you decided not to use the submitted images. And I have to say I'm shocked that you don't see any problem with this!


I don't see any problem because those submitted drawings that you're talking about ( and that you never seen ) were just not appropriate for a "realism challenge". That's the cruel truth.
Was it better to lie? Should i have said "hey, very good!" when it's obviously not? I never said to them to not trying more.
And look that talent and skills don't matter here, because if you work hard, good results will surely come.
Do you know what was missing on those drawings? Work.

* That's one of the reasons this project started to change and doubts started to come. And that's why i still think i made a good decision there.

* Note that Rent's drawing isn't part of this discussion.

brynn wrote:I was going to submit the part that I had finished. But once you told me....oh gosh, I don't still have your PM (we only get 50 PMs in this forum, so I have to delete old ones fairly often). Anyway, you said something to the effect that you decided not to have voting on the images that were submitted (because there weren't very many, and they weren't realistic). I remember suggesting that you wait until the deadline, because maybe there would be more. But you replied with sincerity about not voting on submitted images. So I thought, why should I bother submitting anything (even my 1/4 finished image) if there's not going to be voting.


As you see the final decision lead to a different way. In fact, when talking with you about this, Spaventapasseri wasn't able to take part of this decision. When he came back, we decided to make just one pool and involve all the drawings. It was fun and, unfortunately, there's was nothing to win. So why, not?

* Another reason on why the project changed. The prize.

RM. wrote: Yes, it IS that important, because that's what the contest announcement promised!


How can i make you understand that the original idea of this contest wasn't a working idea? It had to change, to grow, and to evolve. And I'm trying to do that. What is important for you, can be futile for someone else. I think there are more important things then the original announcement. So now, who is right? None of us, probably.

* Another reason explained. Different minds think in a different way. How can they collaborate?

Also. If you feel disappointed for this promise, how do you think i feel? Don't you think i knew someone would have feel in that way? But what if this decision lead to the right way?

brynn wrote:"Sending a drawing isn't collaborating." Is that a typing error?


Nope. I want to talk at last one time with the ones participating. I'm not here just to post drawings. I want to build graphic-related "relation-ships", help with suggestions and giving support. This isn't just a challenge or a competition, it is more. And that's why i moved on a ( fictitious ) platform different than a forum.
If you only want to submit a drawing try a forum or deviantArt.

* Another reason here. Being involved personally.

brynn wrote:You honestly don't see any problem with changing the rules without at least announcing the changes? To me, changing the rules of a contest, so near to the end of a contest, is inappropriate. But announcing them, and stating the reason, would at least lend a sense of honesty to the issue. Although I think changing the rules at all is questionable. In my opinion, if one wants to run a contest, and they want it to be a highly regarded contest within a community, it should be run with impeccable integrity -- even the first year, and maybe especially the first year!


The missing announcements are a mistake. But talking about dishonesty is a little bit too much. This is a lack of organization. It's not like I'm hiding it because "you don't have to know about it".
Rules, or i would say questions and answers, were there to give a guideline of the project. And now i understand that only two of them were really important. Did i know this would happen? Nope, sorry, i don't have a magic sphere. Mistakes happen.

* Another reason here. Have a better consciousness of the ( concrete ) objectives to reach and the meaning of the project.

brynn wrote:And you may have lost inkscapeforum.de entirely?


Sadly, i think we never really collaborated. We ( Me, Coco ) talked maybe one or two times at the beginning and that's all. I never thought to contact him ( or even MicroUgly, just saying ) to explain what was going on, my thoughts were always related to the project itself, and him, never contacted me to ask explanations, until now.

brynn wrote:I know of 4 or 5 people who probably won't be participating next year....
But they certainly have a good reason for not wanting to participate.


I'm sure everyone has their reasons, I will not complain about it.
I'm just someone who likes to create.

User avatar
brynn
Posts: 9612
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:34 pm
Location: western USA
Contact:

Re: Inkscape Challenge - 2012

Postby brynn » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:11 pm

If the submitted images weren't realistic, they should have been disqualified from the competition (voting). Maybe you will want to think about sending a reply message, after receiving submissions, in future contests, informing them if they have qualified for the competition or not.

In my opinion, if you have not received any submissions which qualify for the competition, you should announce that fact, and also announce that there will be voting on other images instead.

I don't think anyone faults you for not having a perfect run, the first time out. To me, the problem comes with announcing a contest among certain images which fit certain criteria, and then deciding to have a different contest with different criteria, without any notification.

RM. wrote:I don't see any problem because those submitted drawings that you're talking about ( and that you never seen ) were just not appropriate for a "realism challenge". That's the cruel truth. Was it better to lie?

Better would have been to disqualify the images because they don't meet the requirements, and to notify the artists to that. It's not cruel truth, it's a fact. If someone wants to grow as an artist, they need to know what kind of improvements to make. "We're sorry to have to inform you that your image doesn't meet the criteria for this competition." If they ask why, you say, it's not a realistic image. It's a cartoon, or it doesn't have any shadows, or depth, or whatever it is that makes it not realistic. Then they understand better.

RM. wrote:As you see the final decision lead to a different way. In fact, when talking with you about this, Spaventapasseri wasn't able to take part of this decision. When he came back, we decided to make just one pool and involve all the drawings. It was fun and, unfortunately, there's was nothing to win. So why, not?

Nothing wrong with that, as long as you make an announcement that you didn't received any drawings that qualified for the competition, and that instead, you are going to offer voting on some other group of images.

And just for the record, I had no part in this decision. I remember asking you to wait until after the deadline, because you might receive more images. But I had no idea you would continue along, as if the contest was still happening, without making any announcement that the contest was not still happening, and then change to voting on your personally chosen images instead. I realize that you wanted to salvage the project, so to speak. And there's nothing wrong with that, as long as you announce the changes.

RM. wrote:Also. If you feel disappointed for this promise, how do you think i feel? Don't you think i knew someone would have feel in that way? But what if this decision lead to the right way?

If you had announced that none of the drawings that were submitted, qualified for the competition, and that you were instead going to have voting on different images, I don't think anyone would have been disappointed. (Except maybe you (and me and spaventapasseri) being disappointed that there were no images submitted which met requirements.)

RM. wrote:
brynn wrote:"Sending a drawing isn't collaborating." Is that a typing error?


Nope. I want to talk at last one time with the ones participating. I'm not here just to post drawings. I want to build graphic-related "relation-ships", help with suggestions and giving support. This isn't just a challenge or a competition, it is more. And that's why i moved on a ( fictitious ) platform different than a forum.
If you only want to submit a drawing try a forum or deviantArt.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. Do you mean that you meant to have some kind of discussion with those who submitted images, sometime after the competition? If you want to give support and suggestions, one opportunity would have been when informing those who submitted images which didn't meet requirements, as to why they aren't qualified for the competition (voting). Or do you mean through Comments on the images? Or otherwise, what you mean by "collaborating"?

RM. wrote:Sadly, i think we never really collaborated. We ( Me, Coco ) talked maybe one or two times at the beginning and that's all. I never thought to contact him ( or even MicroUgly, just saying ) to explain what was going on, my thoughts were always related to the project itself, and him, never contacted me to ask explanations, until now.

When you announce a contest, it's like putting up a poster at school, let's say a poster for a concert from your favorite band. You can't expect anything more then 'some people who like this band might come to the concert'. In this case, you announce the contest, and all you can expect is that some people might submit images. You can't expect anyone to call you and say, "how can I help" because anyone looking at the poster assumes that someone is doing all the organizing, and all they have to do is come (or submit image). This is a good analogy for what I'm trying to say. You put up the poster for a concert for a certain band. You couldn't get that band to play, so you got another band to play. But you don't tell anyone or announce the change. Everyone comes to the concert, expecting that band, and finds out it is some other band. Of course they should be upset!

Perhaps next year you will want to choose a representative from each forum to serve as an organizing committee, and then have meetings in the beginning. Who will make the poster announcing the contest; who will contact the artists to let them know if their drawing qualifies; who will put them on the website; who will post updates; who will do whatever other duties are identified as necessary for this contest. Did Coco know that he was supposed to collaborate with you? Speaking for myself, I didn't ask a lot of questions, because I had certain expectations about how contests are usually run, and I assumed you would have asked me if you needed collaboration. I did throw in a few questions here and there (post reminder a month before end of contest, for example). But I assumed you would announce it if the rules changed.

The whole source of my frustration comes down to you changing something as vital to a competition, as to the images in the competition, without announcing it, and apparently considering it to be the same contest, comes across as dishonest. I don't think you meant it be like that. But that's how it comes across. Announce the situation, and there is no apparent dishonesty.

User avatar
RM.
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:33 am
Location: Italy, Sardegna

Re: Inkscape Challenge - 2012

Postby RM. » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:18 am

brynn wrote:I don't think anyone faults you for not having a perfect run, the first time out.


I think they do. We were all expecting more, me, you, and everyone else. Sadly, it wasn't enough.
A bit of comprehension wouldn't hurt though, being too severe will not help the cause.
Try to be positive, I'm sure everything happened for a reason.

brynn wrote:If someone wants to grow as an artist, they need to know what kind of improvements to make. "We're sorry to have to inform you that your image doesn't meet the criteria for this competition." If they ask why, you say, it's not a realistic image. It's a cartoon, or it doesn't have any shadows, or depth, or whatever it is that makes it not realistic. Then they understand better.


I did this all the three times. Only one replied and he was just fine with that.

brynn wrote: Nothing wrong with that, as long as you make an announcement ....


I already said, missing announcements are a mistake from my part. What else should i say? I understood that.

brynn wrote:The whole source of my frustration comes down to you changing something as vital to a competition, as to the images in the competition, without announcing it, and apparently considering it to be the same contest, comes across as dishonest. I don't think you meant it be like that. But that's how it comes across. Announce the situation, and there is no apparent dishonesty.


Did you read "realism with Inkscape pool" anywhere? There's a pool because we said there would have been a pool. And here it is, different but it is there. I know, a better announcement explaining that was needed.

brynn wrote:I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. Do you mean that you meant to have some kind of discussion with those who submitted images, sometime after the competition? If you want to give support and suggestions, one opportunity would have been when informing those who submitted images which didn't meet requirements, as to why they aren't qualified for the competition (voting). Or do you mean through Comments on the images? Or otherwise, what you mean by "collaborating"?


Having a talk, even a small one, and always related with the inkscape experience, with someone submitting a drawing would give me a general idea on who I'm supporting, and it has to happen before. This is easier if you already know him, but what happens if you never talked and the message he sent isn't enough?

Take the last one as example.

1. How should i credit him? Full name, nickname, other? * This explain itself.
2. What is the drawing title? * Seems stupid but it's easily forgotten.
3. Does he have an Inkscape related site or he's just part of the forum? * I would like to support with a back-link if possible.
4. Does he accept suggestions? * This is important. If we are talking about a realistic piece and i can see spots that could easily be improved, i don't see why they should stay as they are. It all depends on his experience with Inkscape though. My perspective of the drawing would change if he is a newbie because there's no need to be harsh with someone who already started.

As you see, those are the kind of questions that could easily be answered with a few mails. There could be more, or less, it all depends on the situation.

When talking about the acting of sending a drawing, i mean they were probably expecting to do just that. They draw, they send, i post. And a project like this is not needed. There are already communities and forums doing that.

The point is: should i keep a project already over or should at last try to save the good and go with it? On both ways the project wouldn't have been a success so i followed my feelings and chosen the second one. I wasn't prepared for that. But today i wouldn't have the same determination to keep it if i had followed the first one.
I'm just someone who likes to create.

User avatar
brynn
Posts: 9612
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:34 pm
Location: western USA
Contact:

Re: Inkscape Challenge - 2012

Postby brynn » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:12 am

I understand what you mean about the collaboration now. Thank you for explaining it.

Personally, I don't think most people think of a contest as a collaboration. I think most people think they will send their drawing, with the drawing's title, and the name they want to appear. Then they wait to learn the outcome of the contest. I don't think they expect for you to give comments, suggestions or have a discussion. If that's what you want to do, then again, it needs to be announced. (It needs to be announced, because most people would not be as nice as I was when you edited the image of mine which you asked to use in the Gallery.) I certainly had NO idea that critiques were part of this contest!

And again, I really do not think anyone faults you for the contest not getting a lot of participation. I think you are being too hard on yourself, if you do. All the problems come with changing the rules without announcing it.

But I'm glad to hear that you still want to continue with the contest as an annual competition, and that you understand that you should announce any changes you make before the deadline. I keep working on my image, but sadly may take too long. Maybe I'll choose a smaller reference for next year, that will fit your image frames.

User avatar
RM.
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:33 am
Location: Italy, Sardegna

Re: Inkscape Challenge - 2012

Postby RM. » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:35 am

brynn wrote:..because most people would not be as nice as I was when you edited the image of mine which you asked to use in the Gallery.


I think you missed something here. The edited picture was just an example to show you how the drawing could be improved. I was just trying to give you a good suggestion, but you didn't listen. The posted picture it's yours, and unedited, it's only cropped to show the best part of it.

I will only give suggestions if there's need to. And I'll be more than happy to show them why I'm giving those suggestions. If it's true that I'm leading this project, it is my duty to take care of the drawings and help whenever it's needed.

brynn wrote:I think you are being too hard on yourself, if you do.


I have to if i want to succeed.

brynn wrote:But I'm glad to hear that you still want to continue with the contest as an annual competition, and that you understand that you should announce any changes you make before the deadline. I keep working on my image, but sadly may take too long. Maybe I'll choose a smaller reference for next year, that will fit your image frames.


Wasn't i clear this is becoming more than a contest? Start to call it project, and wait. When it's time, everything will be clear for once. I promise.

Meanwhile.. Why don't you show me what you're working on? Don't wait to when it's over. If you're making it with this project in mind you should totally involve me. Let me know.
I'm just someone who likes to create.

User avatar
brynn
Posts: 9612
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:34 pm
Location: western USA
Contact:

Re: Inkscape Challenge - 2012

Postby brynn » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:22 pm

RM. wrote:
brynn wrote:..because most people would not be as nice as I was when you edited the image of mine which you asked to use in the Gallery.


I think you missed something here. The edited picture was just an example to show you how the drawing could be improved. I was just trying to give you a good suggestion, but you didn't listen. The posted picture it's yours, and unedited, it's only cropped to show the best part of it.

I will only give suggestions if there's need to. And I'll be more than happy to show them why I'm giving those suggestions. If it's true that I'm leading this project, it is my duty to take care of the drawings and help whenever it's needed.

No, you did not present it to me as an example. You said something like "Oh by the way, I fixed those pesky lines. I hope you don't mind." You wanted to put the image as you edited it, into the Gallery. If you had presented it as an example, I would've said, and in fact eventually I did say, no thanks! It's bad enough that you cropped it to suit your needs.

"....it's only cropped to show the best part it." Seriously? It may be your opinion that's the best part of it. It may be everyone's opinion. I really don't care! If that had been mentioned in the forum topic, I would have taken it as sincere advice from friends, and considered making changes or improvements. But you just can't ask someone if you can put their image in your Gallery, and then "fix" it, to suit your own personal wishes! For goodness sakes!! Have you heard of a concept, and indeed both federal and international LAW, called copyright?

I would suggest that you tread VERY, VERY carefully, if you want to give advice that has not been requested. To be honest, I was insulted that you edited my image. Don't you think I tried everything I could think of to improve it? Don't you have any respect for my abilities? Even if you don't have any respect, it is considered inappropriate in any social arrangement I can think of, to outright change someone else's creation, even if you say "I hope you don't mind"! For goodness sakes!! My abilities may not be anything worth respect to you, but it's entirely inappropriate (and possibly illegal) to change someone else's work, unless they asked you to. It would also be inappropriate to give advice to people about work they submitted to a contest (unless you announce that in the first place....although I'm not sure how many people would enter such a contest).

"I will only give suggestions if there's need to." Who are you to judge someone else's work, and tell them what's wrong with it? What qualifications do you have, to say what's right or wrong with someone else's work? If you're planning to have a contest, and then tell people what's wrong with their image, after they've submitted it, I will predict this project is doomed to fail.

RM. wrote:
brynn wrote:But I'm glad to hear that you still want to continue with the contest as an annual competition, and that you understand that you should announce any changes you make before the deadline. I keep working on my image, but sadly may take too long. Maybe I'll choose a smaller reference for next year, that will fit your image frames.


Wasn't i clear this is becoming more than a contest? Start to call it project, and wait. When it's time, everything will be clear for once. I promise.

Meanwhile.. Why don't you show me what you're working on? Don't wait to when it's over. If you're making it with this project in mind you should totally involve me. Let me know.


No, you weren't clear at all that this is becoming more than a contest! If it is more than a contest, you should announce and explain what it is, or you will have this situation all over again next year. Out of curiosity, what is it becoming?

Show you my image? You want me to involve you in the creation of my artwork? Why? So you can tell me what you think I'm doing wrong? Even if you want to tell me what I'm doing right, again, who are you to tell me how to create my own artwork? What qualifications do you have, that I should respect your advice, when you have so little respect for me?

Actually it's beginning to sound like you might be thinking of yourself as some sort of artistic, or at least Inkscape guru, and you think people will be happy for your unsolicited advice. If that's the case, I'm telling you, you better think again. Most people will not be as nice as I was.

"If it's true that I'm leading this project, it is my duty to take care of the drawings and help whenever it's needed."
This is no way to run a contest! I think you need to take some time to decide exactly what this project is. I've never heard of a contest where the person organizing the contest will give unsolicited advice to those who participate in the contest. Not unless the person organizing it is widely considered an expert by the community. It sounds to me like this is no longer a contest at all. It's beginning to sound like "RM.'s Inkscape lessons".

I'll be interested to learn what this project is becoming. But until it's clear, I won't be participating. And I would suggest that you might not want to proceed with another contest until you have a clear idea what it is, so that you can announce what it is in the beginning (and of course any changes along the way).

User avatar
RM.
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:33 am
Location: Italy, Sardegna

Re: Inkscape Challenge - 2012

Postby RM. » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:57 am

I still have the messages. First, i asked you if the picture had rendering problems. Second, we talked about rendering issues and if it was Inkscape faults. Third, i explained there was a way to improve it and shown you the result, saying i hoped you didn't mind if i did that, and asking your permission to use that picture. Fourth, you were impressed with the result but didn't like my initiative. Fifth, we talked about the limit size for the blog's pictures. Sixth, I shown you two versions of the picture, the first, was the original one but due to limit size was resized and all jagged, the second, was bigger and looked fine but cropped. You told me that if i had used the second one, i should have added a link to the original one on Imageshack. And that's what i did. I even told you i had problems with the linking of the picture but they were later resolved.

I'm sorry if i offended you acting that way. It will not happen anymore.
I don't pretend to always be right, but it seems that everything i do is wrong for you.

I'm going to think, now. There's a lot of stuff waiting for me.
I'm just someone who likes to create.

User avatar
RM.
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:33 am
Location: Italy, Sardegna

Re: Inkscape Challenge - 2012

Postby RM. » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:39 am

As announced, the poll was closed at the end of December, but no winner could be elected as there weren't votes. Take note that the project is now taking a break, for deciding future developments. I would also like to thanks anyone that shown interest for this project. Luck wasn't on our side this time, but the next one it surely will.
I'm just someone who likes to create.


Return to “Competitions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests