Draw a realistic fruit

Vote or enter in Inkscapeforum.com competitions.
angelabrookss

Re: Draw a realistic fruit

Postby angelabrookss » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Awesome post my friend thanks for sharing !!

brynn

Postby brynn » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:16 am

Oh, nice dee!

Glad you joined us. That looks like a nice start. Are you working from memory, a photo, or actual pear?

Yours has a more organic shape than mine. When I first drew my pear shape, I did it from memory, and ended up with more of a stereotypical pear shape. I only realized it after I had clipped about a million objects, and didn't want to go back and edit them all. But that's the purpose of this exercise, after all, just to learn and try to improve skills.

Anyway, I can't wait to see how it progresses. :D

netalloy

Postby netalloy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:59 am

I have put a glossy bright lemon for you guys to squeeze some juice!
cheers!

netalloy

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:24 am

Oh gosh, I thought I replied to this weeks ago!
Thanks for joining this challenge. That's interesting how you did the texture. Although I'm not sure if it's texture or water droplets? In any case, it is indeed a bright, shiny lemon, lol.

Off topic:
R.M -- where have you been? How's your cherry drawing going?

RM.

Postby RM. » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:30 pm

@ flamingo lady and netalloy: Good job! :)
@ beffa: if it wasn't for the leaf ( too cartoonish ) i would eat this apple for sure! :D
@ Sorry Brynn! i'm busy with other things, so no updates for now!
I'm just someone who likes to create.

chriswww

Postby chriswww » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:36 pm

would love to join in and have a go...but don't have much of a clue in inkscape techniques for photorealistic/3d drawing. are there techniques that emerge as the most useful for this? clipping, blending parts of objects?

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:53 pm

My understanding is that this whole exercise is intended as a learning tool. You have to start somewhere, and it doesn't matter if you don't like the results, or if it really does look not so good. You're still learn while you're trying to get it right.

The best techniques for a 3d effect are gradients, blurring, clipping, layering (z-order or real layers), and paying close attention to shading, shadows, highlights and reflections. I find I do my best work if I have a "model", like a real pear, in this case. (You may have read my comments earlier in this thread.)

You know, I always wanted to be an artist, but I just don't quite have the "eye" for it. I know what I want to draw, but my hands somehow can't make it happen. That has not stopped me from trying though. The real beauty of computer graphics, for me, is that I can erase a bazillion times, and never leave a smudge. Or what is usually the case, I erase a hole in the paper, lol!! But with a computer, I can just keep trying until I get there; plus I can search for tutorials on whatever I'm trying to achieve.

I would suggest examining other successful photorealistic/3d works, to try and figure out how the artist created certain effects and details. Here and there you might find someone who has provided their SVG file, so you can open it up and take it apart, to learn how they did it. Prime example, look up username Xav (Finished Work forum), who does a web comic. You can download the SVG, and they put surprises in the file that don't show up in the published comic. It's fun looking for them, and I've learned a lot that way. Cartoons/comics is not the same as 3d by any means, but it's still a way of learning Inkscape. And many of the techniques can still be used, just in a different way for 3d.

Anyway, please feel free to jump right in. Since this did turn into more of a challenge than a competition, there's no deadline. It's a great opportunity just staring you in the face, lol!

Actually I'm thinking of setting up sort of a series of challenges like this. No pressure about winning/losing -- just learning :D

But if you really feel unprepared, just start with something simple. My first "official" project was a sphere or orb or ball; I wanted to learn about shading, highlights and reflections. It's where I first really got clipping understood and working properly. There are several tutorials around, but none of them covered exactly what I wanted, so I ended up using bits and pieces of 2 or 3 tutorials.

You know about the tutorials in the tavmjong bah Guide? They are a treasure trove for beginners! Help menu > Manual (need internet connection).

Have fun! :D

chriswww

Postby chriswww » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:06 am

brynn

Postby brynn » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Hey, that's awesome chris!
When you say "first try", do you mean that you are still working on it, like a first draft? Or do you mean that it's your first Inkscape work? That's very good work for your first Inkscape work!

Since you asked about photorealism previously, I would comment that the black outline of your mango makes it look more like a stylized image, than a realistic one. I would suggest removing the outline and making the shading a little bit deeper. For example, either a gradient, or...sort of like layered or nested, blurred shapes, getting progressively smaller and darker. Really a gradient achieves this pretty much alone. But you can't really curve a gradient to fit the shape of the fruit. So the blurred shapes might work better. Just experiment!

But anyway, I think you're getting right the idea. The color and shape are right on. Makes me want to taste a mango (which I never have)!

sidarderius96

Postby sidarderius96 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:19 am

i am drawing a strawberry
Last edited by sidarderius96 on Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

brynn

Postby brynn » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:09 am

Welcome to InkscapeForum.com!

Can't wait to see your strawberry. What do you mean by "inscription"?

sidarderius96

Postby sidarderius96 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:31 pm

here's my strawberry, I'm still doing it
any english errors sory i'm from brazil

sidarderius96

Postby sidarderius96 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:42 pm

:ugeek: I forgot to put a link :D
here it is: http://sidarderius96.deviantart.com/#/d35oxu2

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:25 pm

Wow, very nice start!
Can't wait to see how it progresses.

chriswww

Postby chriswww » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:25 am

the strawberry looks great. wasn't too impressed with the massive IE window popup attack though :(

Acosta

Postby Acosta » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:05 am

omg can all of these fruits designed in inkscape ?

RM.

Postby RM. » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:23 am

I'm tired with this. Everytime i try to add the 'yellow part' it looks weird, so i'll leave it this way. At least, for now.
( yeah, i'm a bit chaotic lol )

[Updating picture]
Last edited by RM. on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Hi Acosta,
I'm not sure how I missed your post in this topic. But yeah, all of the images posted in this topic are made with Inkscape, unless otherwise noted as a stock or model. I think one of them might have mentioned doing a texture elsewhere, but I can't remember for sure (long topic :mrgreen: ).

Hi RM.,
I'm glad to see you had not forgotten your cherry, but I guess it sounds like it's gonna be one that just doesn't work. Although I don't see any problem with what you posted. I think it looks like a cherry, sitting in the dark, under some yellowish lighting, and not bad at all. I'm fascinated with the subtle clefts which create the central kind of bulge or bump, and wonder how you did that? I see that it's lost its stem though :( If I recall, the stem looked great to me. I'd say put them together and call it done. I really do think it looks great, even though it might not be up to your expectations.

But I have to laugh at the one on the right, what we would call "scribbling" here. It reminds me of something I might have drawn with my old "Etch-A-Sketch". It was a children's toy sold originally something like 40 or 50 years ago. I'm sure you can find them on ebay, if you really wanted one. Are you familiar with it? It would take some wordage to describe, but oh, I'll bet I could find an image on the web....ok, here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etch_A_Sketch!

Btw, your post here just reminded me to set up that challenge series that I mentioned to you via PM recently. I have so many ideas for the first subject, that I can't seem to choose one. Do you have any suggestions?

RM.

Postby RM. » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:41 am

brynn wrote:Hi RM.,
I'm glad to see you had not forgotten your cherry, but I guess it sounds like it's gonna be one that just doesn't work. [...] I'm fascinated with the subtle clefts which create the central kind of bulge or bump, and wonder how you did that? I see that it's lost its stem though :( If I recall, the stem looked great to me.

Yes, it just doesn't work. If i understand well 'subtle clefts' they are little yellow and white lines with low opacity and blurred.

brynn wrote: But I have to laugh at the one on the right, what we would call "scribbling" here. It reminds me of something I might have drawn with my old "Etch-A-Sketch". It was a children's toy sold originally something like 40 or 50 years ago. I'm sure you can find them on ebay, if you really wanted one. Are you familiar with it? It would take some wordage to describe, but oh, I'll bet I could find an image on the web....ok, here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etch_A_Sketch!

Ahah yes, i remember it. The right picture is to show this is done with inkscape.

brynn wrote: Btw, your post here just reminded me to set up that challenge series that I mentioned to you via PM recently. I have so many ideas for the first subject, that I can't seem to choose one. Do you have any suggestions?

Umm.. what about draw a realistic flower?

Return to “Competitions”