Draw a realistic Cube, Cone or Sphere

Vote or enter in Inkscapeforum.com competitions.
RM.

Re: cone shadow geometry

Postby RM. » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:38 pm

well well, how many things we are learning with the contest?? :lol:
we need to open another one!! :D

OT. Did you saw the reply inside 'draw a realistic fruit' where i suggest you for the flower contest??
I'm just someone who likes to create.

druban

Postby druban » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:27 pm

I wonder if I am the only one who thinks the light source is directly to the left?
Your mind is what you think it is.

brynn

Postby brynn » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:50 pm

well well, how many things we are learning with the contest?? :lol:

Image I pretty much use any opportunity to learn.....with life in general, but especially with Inkscape.
Now that I think about it, I should have posted this in the contest topic -- DUH!! Image I'm not sure what I was thinking by putting it here.... :oops: ....fortunately, because of moderator permissions, I can move it :D

Off topic:
OT. Did you saw the reply inside 'draw a realistic fruit' where i suggest you for the flower contest??

Yes, I did see that. Thank you! But then you started the new one right away (for cube, cone, sphere) and I thought it might be too much to have 2 people putting up challenge/contest opportunities. Do you think 'not so'? Because I still would like to.

After you started the first one (realistic fruit) but then didn't finish your own drawing (for some months), I thought you might have been discouraged because not a lot of people seemed interested, and that you didn't want to continue. But I like the idea, and wanted it to continue. So that was my perspective -- I wanted to have an on-going series of these challenge/contests. But then when you posted the 2nd one, I thought I didn't need to set one up too.

But what do you think? Would it be "too much" to have another contest/challenge going on? I have so many ideas (as I said before)!

brynn

Re: Draw a realistic Cube, Cone or Sphere

Postby brynn » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:01 pm

Oh, hi druban,
After I posted this in the Help forum, I realized I should have put it here, since this challenge is the reason I'm doing this. So I merged the topics (which puts the messages in the order they were posted). But unlike moving a topic, merging does not leave a copy of the topic in its original place. So I hope you don't have trouble locating my reply.

I wonder if I am the only one who thinks the light source is directly to the left?

Interesting -- I appreciate your comment and would like to explore (if you can find it). If one would think of the circle at the base of the cone, as a clock face, and looking down from the apex, the darkest part of the shadow is centered at about 4:30. This should mean that the light is coming in from about 10:30 Or looking at it normally (as any image), the darkest part is 3/4 from the left, then it begins to get lighter from there to the right side. If the light was coming from the left side (9:00 on the imaginary clock face), I think the darkest part should be the far right.

And that theory about light and shadow came to me via 8th grade art class, lol! More recently I've noticed, in some of the images I admire most, that the most realistic images often have a faint sliver of light, even at the darkest edge of the shading (and vice versa, a tiny sliver of darker shading, even a the brightest edge of a highlight). (I tried to express this in the sphere I made using the Hatchmark LPE, above in this topic.) So maybe it's time to learn more advance lessons about light and shadow, lol!?

So if the light's appearing to come directly from the left, then I should probably make the color a little lighter/brighter (or in other words, less shading) towards the right side of the cone. Yes? And/or maybe move the darkest area a little more towards the left....?? But it will have to happen later -- it's late night here and I have to see dentist tomorrow :(

Thanks again :D

Simarilius

Postby Simarilius » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:18 am

just a coincidence I think. I definitely didnt do the game, and the techniques not new (I learnt it making buttons for winamp skins back in the day in photoshop.)

druban

Postby druban » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:45 am

Interesting. Can't upload attachments to this forum .... Oh well, had some cone lighting examples fom a 3D program to illustrate the shadow.
Your mind is what you think it is.

RM.

Postby RM. » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:56 am

brynn wrote:I pretty much use any opportunity to learn.....with life in general, but especially with Inkscape.

Me too! :D

brynn wrote:
Off topic:
Yes, I did see that. Thank you! But then you started the new one right away (for cube, cone, sphere) and I thought it might be too much to have 2 people putting up challenge/contest opportunities. Do you think 'not so'? Because I still would like to.

The more contests, the more fun! :lol:

brynn wrote:[offtopic]After you started the first one (realistic fruit) but then didn't finish your own drawing (for some months), I thought you might have been discouraged because not a lot of people seemed interested, and that you didn't want to continue. But I like the idea, and wanted it to continue. So that was my perspective -- I wanted to have an on-going series of these challenge/contests. But then when you posted the 2nd one, I thought I didn't need to set one up too.

But what do you think? Would it be "too much" to have another contest/challenge going on? I have so many ideas (as I said before)!

It takes a lot of time for me to do drawings, because i always want to do better.
What if we will open at least one contest every two/three months?

Could this help for the cone?
http://italiano.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-9814298-geometry.php?st=3f86df1
http://italiano.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-9764060-geometric-shapes.php?st=3f86df1
I'm just someone who likes to create.