Draw a realistic Cube, Cone or Sphere

Vote or enter in Inkscapeforum.com competitions.
RobA

Re: Draw a realistic Cube, Cone or Sphere

Postby RobA » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 am

GAngus wrote:Yes, Rob.... nice cone there.
I think the end of the cone shadow should be just a little more pointy ?
Just in a general sense, I don't mean to be picky.

Think you are right - I blurred a bit too much.
Here is a render from povray with more or less the same view and an area light in about the same location as I imagined:

-Rob A>

brynn

Postby brynn » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:07 pm

Wow guys, thanks for those nice illustrations and explanations :D

where's brynn gone ?
I'll bet he's working on a real "block buster" for this.
....still awaiting his 3 cents.

Also, sorry for my absence -- had to deal with life offline the last day or so, running errands, and what-not. Image So sorry, no "blockbuster". I think I've just about squeezed everything I can out of this challenge (hatchmarked sphere AND interpolated cone). Well, for now anyway :mrgreen: Also fyi, I'm a woman. I guess "Bryn" is one of those names for boys and girls (like Chris, Terry, Jody, etc.). I think my parents added the extra 'n' to make it seem more feminine, but I think and 'e', like 'brynne' might be even better.

"point source for light" -- Interesting, I had never conceived that scenario.... I know that I've seen objects throw shadows that are bigger than the object, but in every case I could remember, there were multiple light sources, and I assumed that the shadows (and lights) were sort of blended together, to make the overall shadow bigger. So I guess in a truly realistic representation, one would actually show more than one shadow, since the single point source is not something one sees every day?

And Wow! on druban's, Simarilius' and Rob A's work. Although I realize druban's isn't part of the drawing challenge. But that's impressive for "hastily drawn". I may have to finally install Blender, and get on the 3D wagon!

Nice cones, Sim and Rob :D Care to share your methods? Did you use interpolation, or some other trick? I think one could probably do a cone with a regular linear gradient, if it were rotated at the proper angle. But I haven't actually tried it.

I totally forgot this was any kind of contest and forfeit any claim to winning.

No worries. We gave up on the competition aspect of it a while ago. I like to call them "challenges" because they challenge us to learn! I learn both from my own work, and also from the discussion.

RM.

Postby RM. » Sun May 08, 2011 1:10 pm

This was interesting.. http://www.huevaluechroma.com
So i've made a new one! :lol: However, gradients are not that smooth, it probably needs more work. :)

[Picture removed]
Last edited by RM. on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just someone who likes to create.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun May 08, 2011 7:54 pm

Wow yes, that Dimensions of Color website that you linked to looks very interesting! I only had time to read the first page just now, but I'm looking forwards to reading much further, as soon as I have a chance. I love color, but have been very frustrated using it effectively. So I hope some of that discussion will help.

So I didn't read far enough to know which part you're using in this new sphere (if any). But I like the image a lot. I really think it's the best of those you've submitted in this topic :D I don't notice any problems with the gradients. They look very smooth and realistic. Everything looks kind of soft and velvet-y, and to me, almost as if there were some very fine texture of some sort, applied to it. Although the fine texture effect could be just the rasterization. (Also I think the effect you're talking about is a known problem with Inkscape gradients. From what I've read in the forums, some people find that blurring the gradient helps hide it.) (I've had mixed results.)

If I had any suggestions, it would be that to me, the light and shadows seem not be aligned. So a straight line from the light source and passing....I think the word is tangentially to the sphere....to where it touches the circumference of the sphere....touches the side of it, lol (trying to make the translation easier for you) and on to touch the surface (table, whatever). Then the cast shadow (shadow on the table) would extend further to the right. (Or I think it would also work to move the highlights towards the top of the sphere, ie - change location of the light source.) But again, you may have learned something from that website/article that will change my perspective (pun unintended :P ) after I've read it. I really am looking forward to reading more!

All best :D

RM.

Postby RM. » Wed May 11, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks Brynn. :)

brynn wrote: Everything looks kind of soft and velvet-y, and to me, almost as if there were some very fine texture of some sort, applied to it. Although the fine texture effect could be just the rasterization. (Also I think the effect you're talking about is a known problem with Inkscape gradients. From what I've read in the forums, some people find that blurring the gradient helps hide it.) (I've had mixed results.)

The texture is just a bit of noise.

brynn wrote: If I had any suggestions, it would be that to me, the light and shadows seem not be aligned. So a straight line from the light source and passing....I think the word is tangentially to the sphere....to where it touches the circumference of the sphere....touches the side of it, lol (trying to make the translation easier for you) and on to touch the surface (table, whatever). Then the cast shadow (shadow on the table) would extend further to the right. (Or I think it would also work to move the highlights towards the top of the sphere, ie - change location of the light source.)

I've only tryed to reproduce what i saw inside the first page, without colors. However I don't know why the light seems not aligned.. Here's another example from the site :roll:

brynn

Postby brynn » Fri May 13, 2011 5:23 am

Ooooh, yeah I have not seen that page yet. I'll probably understand more after I've studied it.

RM.

Postby RM. » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:44 am

Quite finish.. :)

[Please see the following posts]
Last edited by RM. on Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:57 am

Oh my, that is impressive!!
That is absolutely outstanding Image
I believe you have mastered the light/shadow balance here, especially the gradients.

Do you have a DA account? I would by a print/poster of that, I just love it!

Well done :D

RM.

Postby RM. » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:37 am

Ahah.. Actually i didn't do that much. :D
First, i've created a simple scene with blender, rendered it, and then just reproduced it with inkscape.
You can see the outlines here:

[Please see the following post]

Thanks !! ;)
Last edited by RM. on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:47 am

Ahah.. Actually i didn't do that much.
First, i've created a simple scene with blender, rendered it, and then just reproduced it with inkscape.

Still, it takes skill with Inkscape, even reproducing an existing image!

RM.

Postby RM. » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:38 am

It's over now. :)

Last edited by RM. on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

VitalBodies

Postby VitalBodies » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Wow, nice job. Even if you used blender as your starting point.
From there you could challenge yourself to change the surface of the cube without blender.
In the old days I think that your current render would have been called phong. Not sure though.
What would be a texture that would be fun to create?

spaventapasseri

Postby spaventapasseri » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:54 pm

Ok is not realistic but I didn` t know where to post it :oops:

apologize

italian forum
inkscapeforum.it

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:21 pm

Hhhm.....lawn bowling? Or I've heard of a game that might be called bochi ball, or something like that?

There's always the Finished Work, or Work In Progress forums. Although it's not out of place here either :D

spaventapasseri

Postby spaventapasseri » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:21 pm

brynn wrote: called bochi ball, or something like that?

the italian name is boccette, is a kind of billiard game with the small tin
italian forum
inkscapeforum.it

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:20 am

Was thinking of making a cone for this.
Could only finish a conic gradient, for a topview of a cone.
It could be used to make another view though, but that wouldn't be as fun.
Like, this conic gradient is made from several objects with the exact same linear gradient, so that you can edit the steps only to edit the gradient itself.
And, it would look much better if any views of the cone was using the same gradient only, and you could change the lighting set by changing one gradient.
Just a future idea.

Anyway, here is the result:
SVG Image

You can download the svg.
Made this public domain, feel free to use it.

Drew2

Postby Drew2 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Nice post!

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:58 am

Who cares about the no filter rule when this topic is only resurrected once in three years right?

Return to “Competitions”