Draw your favourite cartoon figures.

Vote or enter in Inkscapeforum.com competitions.
Inkspots

Re: Draw your favourite cartoon figures.

Postby Inkspots » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:55 pm

What if your favourite cartoon character isn’t well known?
what if its a very simple shape, and always simply drawn....is it still okay to post it?
What if you have LOTS of favourites?
Is it allright to just jumble them all together and post an image of them here?
Are we only drawing animated cartoon characters?
okay....okay...i'll stop annoying you with questions now.

You've all done a marvellous job depicting your favourite cartoon characters.
I especially liked SpongBob, and Tweety.
I'd never heard of Tiger Man, but the drawing looks very good.
...and woody woodpecker, lol. I hate that laugh, but llogg your woody is so cute.
spaventapasseri: Your primitive Micky Mouse of steamboat willie fame was very well done to, would it be difficult to make a wide-screen version of it?
I know you said the background is a texture, but I like it.
Last edited by Inkspots on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:07 am

Hi Inkspots,
This is just one of the many drawing challenges that we've made for ourselves. They aren't really competitions, even though I realize the subforum is titled "Competitions". If I were adminning the forum, I'd add another subforum..... Hhm, maybe I'll ask micro if he would do that. There actually has been some confusion about that (although infrequent). Their only purpose is to offer opportunities to improve our Inkscape skills, via the kind comments that others might leave. Typically the subject isn't strictly defined, and anything goes (as long as it can reasonably be considered a cartooon).

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:19 pm

Hi Brynn,
Thanks for clarifying that. I know this isn’t a competition, but I wasn’t sure what would and wouldn’t fit in here.
Please dont bother Micro about the forum titles on my account, What else would we put in the competitions forum if not the challenges?

Have thought about drawing something for this challenge, and I just cant settle on a cartoon character.

spaventapasseri

Postby spaventapasseri » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:35 pm

Inkspots wrote:What if your favourite cartoon character isn’t well known?

spaventapasseri: Your primitive Micky Mouse of steamboat willie fame was very well done to, would it be difficult to make a wide-screen version of it?
I know you said the background is a texture, but I like it.

Hello Inkspots, I made steamboat willie on my old laptop I`m not sure if I can find the file , but I will do again when I have time and post it ;)
italian forum
inkscapeforum.it

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:00 pm

spaventapasseri ,
Your Mickey mouse would look awesome as a desktop wallpaper, anything with a standard aspect ratio gets badly squashed
if it try to use it though. I've been wanting a new Inkscape wallpaper, and
Your drawing of Mickey cheerfully painting his message makes me smile.
:)

spaventapasseri

Postby spaventapasseri » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:21 am

@inkspot my apologize but I couldn` t find the old texture is it ok like this for you?

italian forum
inkscapeforum.it

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:21 am

spaventapasseri ,

yes, thats fine. Thanks so much for taking the trouble to make this version for me.
I'm going to try it on my desktop now.
:)

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:10 am

Here is my attempt at drawing some of my favorite Cartoon Characters.
I couldnt decide on just one because I've enjoyed so many of them so much.
Sorry it took so long for me to come up with anything, and I know the composition is unbalanced.
I may eventually finish it, but wanted to upload something even if its incomplete.

I know there are lots of memorable Cartoon greats that I left out.
I hid the text layer that credits the creators of these characters because I didn't want them to be mistaken for signatures,
I tried to draw them in the style of the original artists. (just because It was fun to do the lettering) You can reveal it if you want
once you've downloaded the svg, but it clutters up the image if its big enough to see.
I really wanted to include spaceman spiff, but I think he deserves more attention than he could have gotten here,
and I'll need to practice drawing him a lot more before I dare make an attempt to share with you.

I made my drawing at widescreen size to fit my desktop, but if you want to download the svg you can resize it to suit your own use.
I dont know why, but the svg doesnt display properly in my browser.

Right click here, and "save link as" or chose your favorite downloader from the list to download the svg

Thanks to Charles Schulz, Bill Watterson, Scott Adams and Simon Tofield for sharing with us all, the humorous,
imaginative, and thoroughly enjoyable antics of their Iconic characters.

spaventapasseri

Postby spaventapasseri » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:48 pm

amazing work @inkspots I like it, thanks for the svg version you made a good job.
I love Snoopy and company, looking forward for spacemann spiff :)
italian forum
inkscapeforum.it

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:32 am

There's some very nice work on here! I think everyone did justice to the respective original artists!

Inkspots - wow, when you draw, you really draw, so many, and all in a different style, kudos.

GAngus

Postby GAngus » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:25 am

Downright inspirational, thanks man/gal.. whatever....

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:05 am

spaventapasseri,
thank you, I'm so glad you like it. Your Mickey graced my desktop and made my mornings brighter with his cheerful presence for many days.
I promise to keep trying to draw good-ole Spaceman Spiff, but cant guarantee I will ever come up something acceptable.

Flamingolady,
Yes... I think everyone has done a good job of recreating their favorite characters. The forum is so full of gifted artists and the drawings posted are just awesome.
TY for your comments. I couldn't possibly have settled on just one Favorite Character, I tried...but I just couldn't do it.

Hi Gangus,
I'm a gal. Used to have a forum avatar that made my gender plain, but I was tired of it, and I like the pen and ink.
Glad you liked the drawing.

BetaTestingPro

Postby BetaTestingPro » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:48 am

Inkspots wrote:You've all done a marvellous job depicting you favourite cartoon characters. I especially liked SpongBob, and Tweety.

Hi Inkspot,

First of all, I'm glad you enjoyed my SpongeBob. I really enjoyed making him and have updated the dead links in case you'd like to download the full size version.

You've done a wonderful job with ALL the cartoon characters you did. I was surprised to see Simon's cat, which I absolutely love since it reminds me so much of my own cat as far as always trying to get food and will do anything in order to get it. Great job and keep up the good work!

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi Betatestingpro,
thanks for updating the links, yes I would love to have the full sized version of SpongeBob.
You did a wonderful job with him.
Thanks for your kind comments,
and I love Simon's cat to, he reminds me of every cat I ever had.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:16 am

SVG Image

Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop as seen in Session #5 -Ballad of Fallen Angels, at 13:19.
Full episode here.

There are so many things that should have been made to a still image from that anime
but unfortunately there are not much material from a video alike that is good enough to be traced.

Uploaded as an svg, if you click on it it will appear the same size as it was the screenshot it was traced from.

spaventapasseri

Postby spaventapasseri » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:13 am

@Lazur URH nice work, thanks. I didn` t know this anime I`m a fun of different Japanese Manga but this is new to me. I love Lupin 3 for example, :).
Anyway thanks a lot
italian forum
inkscapeforum.it

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:52 am

This is a very nice topic and this happens to be the week in which this guy celebrates his birthday.

Yes, he`s mostly known from the printed editions but recently he also had a few appearances in animated episodes/movies ,)
:tool_zoom: <<< click! - but, those with a cheaper tickets should go this way >>> :!:

spaventapasseri

Postby spaventapasseri » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:01 pm

Maestral wrote:This is a very nice topic and this happens to be the week in which this guy celebrates his birthday.

My apologize Maestral but I`m not sure what is his name. Can you help me I`m curious
italian forum
inkscapeforum.it

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:34 pm

No need to apologize. Au contraire, it`s my fault for not introducing this fine gentleman to others.
Allow me to introduce you with Corto Maltese
:tool_zoom: <<< click! - but, those with a cheaper tickets should go this way >>> :!:

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:55 am

Hi Lazur,
I like your vector of spike Spiegel.
I dont generally go for anime, but I love the bright colours in some of the cowboy bebop episodes
....and who can fail to love Edward and the Bebop crew? Thanks for sharing this. I downloaded the svg (ofcourse)
and am trying to figure out how you did the background texture. I'll play with the layers, etc a bit more tomorrow.
You did a fine job with it.
Thank you for posting the links as well.

Maestral,
I liked the vector of your Corto Maltese very much to ( sorry, I'm not familiar with the character )
I followed the link you posted, so I can see the character in context and learn more about him,
and the artist who created him. I will go back and look at your drawing more closely when I get done typing, just wanted to let you
know how much I had enjoyed seeing it, and say a quick thank you for sharing it with us.
Last edited by Inkspots on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:34 am

Thank's!
It wasn't that easy watching episodes of it just for the right frame to be captured.
All the visual awesomeness was distracting my attention from the technical aspects.

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Inkspots

Glad to hear. Hope you`ve also danced while listening to that tango ,)
Hugo Pratt is the author of Corto Maltese and after reading your comment, I`ve found this interesting site about both of them. For me, It`s a rare occasion nowadays to enjoy seeing comic books characters depicted on screen, as in this case. Unfortunately, only 480p.

Lazur URH

Have to say that, at first, I didn`t went for links presuming that I`ve known about it - but it turned to be a delightful discovery. Thanks, mate.
Have you seen Samurai Champloo (Jin Vs. Mugen)?

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:07 am

I haven't seen that yet.
Most anime-s I know of were broadcasted here on an anime related channel, and that wasn't on program.
Other anime-s they put on show were
Blue Gender, Yu Yu Hakusho, Trigun,
Slayers, Spiral, InuYasha, Kaleido Star, Captain Tsubasa,
Kiddy Grade, Deathnote, Fullmetal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic!,
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Naruto, Dragonball,
Gallery Fake, Hellsing, Humanoid Kikaider, Bleach, Blood+,
Read or Die TV, Jigoku Shōjo, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Hakaima Sadamitsu, Mirage of Blaze, and a few more.

The other anime character I was thinking of to be redrawn at the first place was Vash from Trigun.
I'm not much of an anime fan though, but I know the subcult has a strong fanbase around.

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:41 am

I`ll have to trust your words on not being anime fan, while I`m amazed with the length of that list ,)

Indeed, anime fans could be even global phenomenon as much as I could see (while not being anime fan). I`m pretty much fond of Japanese culture and subculture but most I know about anime is related to comics and 2d animation, of which I`m kinda more fond of. There are even some drawing programs, in a way oriented toward anime - Manga studio and there`s also Anime studio which is vector animation program (both coming from a same publisher). I`ve recently discovered that .svg is better supported in the latest edition of AS and am just giving it a try. Will post some shots when done.

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:50 pm

Maestral,

I'll dance next time. : )
I did check out the site you posted the link for.
It was very interesting,and I found reading about the creator of Corto Maltese, and some of the history
of the stories and graphic novels very enjoyable. Followed the links on the website to find out more about the artist.
thanks for that.
I like your rendition of Corto better than the drawings by the original artist that I've seen so far, but I will have to find more of them
because I still havent seen very many.....and I'm curious about the graphic Novels now.

Lazur,
I feel your pain. I dont think I could stick with watching to try and capture a frame to draw, I would get caught up in the stories and forget
what I'd been trying to do. Glad you were able to stick with it long enough to get a capture of the frame you drew.

Return to “Competitions”