Modify blur/opacity to border and fill, independently

Flesh out your ideas for new or improved Inkscape features before submitting a request.
Buy Inkscape books

Modify blur/opacity to border and fill, independently

Postby Grobe » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:32 am

Hi.

I have a square that is filled with a nice pattern. This square have a regular black border.

I want to make the fill pattern more transparent without also make the border transparent.

Is this possible (version 0.48+devel r9797)?

Temporarly workaround: Make another square of similar size, black border and transparent background on top. It works, but takes more time to change because I have to group/ungroup when edit opacity of lower square pattern.

Thanks
Grobe

Re: Modify blur/opacity to border and fill, independently

Postby brynn » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:18 am

Your temporary workaround is exactly what I was going to suggest. I don't know any other way to do it.

Would it be possible to select the lower pattern square with the node tool? Sometimes I can avoid ungrouping that way. Other times, that won't work, depending what's happening in image.
Basics:
> Help menu > Tutorials
> a Quick Guide to Inkscape
Manual:
> Inkscape: Guide to a Vector Drawing Program
Tutorials:
> Inkscape Community
Development news
> Google+
Gallery:
> Inkscape Community Gallery
brynn

Postby druban » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:59 am

Grobe wrote:but takes more time to change because I have to group/ungroup when edit opacity of lower square pattern

You don't have to ungroup to edit attributes of group members. Use ctrl-enter or doubleclick to enter the group and select an object to edit. when done use ctrl-backspace to exit group or select an object outside the group.

You can make the group of a clone of a pattern filled object and a stroked rectangle. Then when you edit the original object's opacity the opacity of the clone will update without editing it directly. useful if the same fill is used in several rectangles with independently sized strokes.
fill.png
fill.png (58.33 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
Attachments
fll.svg
(87.45 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Those who have not read Animal Farm are condemned to relive it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
druban

Postby scruffyeagle » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:05 pm

Inkscape v0.48 (the version I have) can control the transparency values of fill and stroke independantly of each other for any given object.
scruffyeagle

Return to Inkscape Ideas