Inkscape and OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

This is NOT a support forum. You are welcome to discuss software issues here, but all issues should be reported on Launchpad if you want them fixed.
~suv

Re: Inkscape and OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Postby ~suv » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:27 pm

A separate bug report has been filed for this issue:
other related links, reports and discussions:

Pep Pla wrote:I'm neither a python expert nor a inkscape one, but I have a strong background on *nix os. Feel free to ask any question.
I'd be interested to know the architecture of your system python binary (after upgrading and not clean installing SL), and in any feedback/input on the workaround described in bug #482993: symlinking '/usr/bin/python' to point to Python 2.5 (which is a 'Mach-O fat file with 2 architectures') to use the same architecture as the bundled, pre-compiled lxml and numpy modules.

(Note: AFAIK - I'm still on 10.5.8 - on Snow Leopard you can still use 'file' but 'ditto' is better to get the details of the binary architecture -- edit: oops, s/ditto/lipo -info/g - but forget about that too, I can't remember where I could have picked up that tip -- edit2: links added ;-)

Pep Pa

Postby Pep Pa » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:30 pm

~suv wrote:I'd be interested to know the architecture of your system python binary (after upgrading and not clean installing SL), and in any feedback/input on the workaround described in bug #482993: symlinking '/usr/bin/python' to point to Python 2.5 (which is a 'Mach-O fat file with 2 architectures') to use the same architecture as the bundled, pre-compiled lxml and numpy modules.

Code: Select all

bash-3.2# which python
/usr/bin/python
bash-3.2# lipo -info /usr/bin/python
Architectures in the fat file: /usr/bin/python are: x86_64 i386 ppc7400
bash-3.2# file /usr/bin/python
/usr/bin/python: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures
/usr/bin/python (for architecture x86_64):   Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
/usr/bin/python (for architecture i386):   Mach-O executable i386
/usr/bin/python (for architecture ppc7400):   Mach-O executable ppc

Cannot provide any feedback because I have not tested the workaround, sorry.

Pep

Jmx

Postby Jmx » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:59 pm

Does anyone know how to do what to get filters working with 0.47 pre 4 on Snow Leopard 10.6.1?
Haven't been able to use any filters since i got 10.6 :(

Cheers

~suv

Postby ~suv » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:10 am

Jmx wrote:Does anyone know how to do what to get filters working with 0.47 pre 4 on Snow Leopard 10.6.1?
Can you try with the just released Inkscape 0.47 - [The Inkscape Community Announces 0.47 Release]?

Jmx

Postby Jmx » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:59 am

Just tried the new build on 10.6.2 and i still get the same errors :(

blei

Postby blei » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:57 pm

As a workaround you can follow this link

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/ ... hon.1.html

In terminal enter: defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.versioner.python Version 2.5

With this command extensions work.

Jmx

Postby Jmx » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:11 am

blei: wonderful... worked perfect, thanks for the solution :D

Nco

Postby Nco » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:48 pm

It doesn't work for me...

(OS X 10.6.2, Inkscape 0.47 latest build)

quandary

Postby quandary » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:34 am

New Inkscape user, loving it so far!
OS X 10.6.2 / Inkscape 0.47 r22583, built Nov 24 2009
Encountered same python lib problem when attempting to do "Pattern along Path"
Fix suggested by blei worked for me. Thanks!

jehanon

Postby jehanon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Hello

is there any new stable version for MAC Snow Leopard ?

thank you

~suv

Postby ~suv » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 am

jehanon wrote:is there any new stable version for MAC Snow Leopard ?

No, at the moment there's only the official 0.47 release package (filename: "Inkscape-0.47-1.LEOPARD+.dmg", 'About Inkscape' information: "Inkscape 0.47 r22583, built Nov 24 2009") available for download.

Jehanon

Postby Jehanon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:32 pm

Ok I shall wait

thank you

take

Postby take » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:27 pm

After hours trying all the fixes posted, removing macports finally worked for me.
I tried uninstalling all of my ports but this alone was not enough, you have to completely remove all traces of macports

sudo rm -rf \
/opt/local \
/Applications/DarwinPorts \
/Applications/MacPorts \
/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.* \
/Library/Receipts/DarwinPorts*.pkg \
/Library/Receipts/MacPorts*.pkg \
/Library/StartupItems/DarwinPortsStartup \
/Library/Tcl/darwinports1.0 \
/Library/Tcl/macports1.0 \
~/.macports

and magically the extensions started working. :D

~suv

Postby ~suv » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:33 pm

take wrote:After hours trying all the fixes posted, removing macports finally worked for me.
Just keep in mind that most users of the packaged Inkscape version don't have MacPorts installed and are not likely to know how to safely handle a command like "sudo rm -rf \".

Did you consider other solutions as for example use 'python_select' and set the default python to the one installed by Apple or MacPython instead of dumping the whole MacPorts tree with possibly other useful software installed (e.g. GhostScript, needed for some import/export extensions in Inkscape)?

(Besides - could it be it works for you because you also have a MacPython installation which launches a 32bit version of Python 2.6 as default? Else I'd be curious to know how the python modules bundled with Inkscape.app - 32bit - work with your default Apple python version - AFAIK Python 2.6, 64bit - on Snow Leopard)

erikm

Postby erikm » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:54 am

blei wrote:As a workaround you can follow this link

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/ ... hon.1.html

In terminal enter: defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.versioner.python Version 2.5

With this command extensions work.

Hi All,

I've run into the broken effects on Snow Leopard too. I find blei's workaround unsatisfactory, since it potentially breaks Python code of other applications expecting the default version (2.6). So I tried manually importing the bundled Python modules (lxml and numpy) with the default Python:

~ $ echo $PYTHONPATH
    /Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/python/site-packages/i386/2.6
    ~ $ python
    Python 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Jul 7 2009, 23:51:51)
    [GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646)] on darwin
    Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
    >>> import numpy as n
    {snipped irrelevant error messages}
    /Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/python/site-packages/i386/2.6/numpy/core/multiarray.so: mach-o, but wrong architecture

That is, the bundled Python modules cannot be loaded because of an architecture mismatch with the Python binary. This is easily confirmed using 'file':

~ $ file `which python`
    /usr/bin/python: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures
    /usr/bin/python (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
    /usr/bin/python (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386
    /usr/bin/python (for architecture ppc7400): Mach-O executable ppc
    ~ $ file /Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/python/site-packages/i386/2.6/numpy/core/multiarray.so
    /Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/python/site-packages/i386/2.6/numpy/core/multiarray.so: Mach-O bundle i386

Notice how the universal Python binary has three architectures (PPC, 32-bit x86, and 64-bit x86), whereas the numpy module provided with Inkscape has only one (32-bit x86). In contrast, the architectures of the bundled version 2.5 python modules match those of the corresponding binary (also under OS X 10.6), which is why blei's suggestion solves the problem.

After building the lxml and numpy modules from source and copying them into Inkscape.app, effects in Inkscape work perfectly also with the default Python version (and without the modules in the default install location, of course).

In short, the Python modules bundled with Inkscape are simply broken, but easily fixed. Can we get the Inkscape developers to fix this in the downloadable disk images ASAP, please?

I can send you an archive with the working modules, if that helps (numpy-1.3.0 and lxml-2.2.6).

~suv

Postby ~suv » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:39 am

erikm wrote:In short, the Python modules bundled with Inkscape are simply broken, but easily fixed. Can we get the Inkscape developers to fix this in the downloadable disk images ASAP, please?

IMHO osx packaging details (for distribution) and requests (ASAP!?) to the developers don't belong in this forum - the appropriate bug report for this issue has been mentioned before. If you are interested in contributing please add your comments to bug #482993.

side note: the bundled modules are not 'broken' - they work perfectly on Tiger and Leopard, but - see my comment before yours - miss the additional 64bit binaries needed on Snow Leopard.

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:26 pm

@ erikm or ~suv (or anyone who can help)

What are the chances of you helping me do exactly what you suggested with copy/pasting the files from the lbxm and numby builds into the right places?

I have no idea how to begin other than downloading the programs. I've got those...now what?

-soil23

~suv

Postby ~suv » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:12 am

Guest wrote:What are the chances of you helping me do exactly what you suggested with copy/pasting the files from the lbxm and numby builds into the right places?
I can't help because there does not exist a known easy fix for this problem: it has been reported and confirmed in Inkscape's bug tracker, but so far there is no working solution that could be included in an officially released Inkscape package (which must be the primary goal to get a working solution for *all* users out-of-the-box).

Postby Guest » Sat May 01, 2010 10:39 am

doing:
sudo rm -rf \
/opt/local \
/Applications/DarwinPorts \
/Applications/MacPorts \
/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.* \
/Library/Receipts/DarwinPorts*.pkg \
/Library/Receipts/MacPorts*.pkg \
/Library/StartupItems/DarwinPortsStartup \
/Library/Tcl/darwinports1.0 \
/Library/Tcl/macports1.0 \
~/.macports

them copying the libraries from Python-packages.dmg into hte correct location followed by EXITING inkscape and restarting , got my system working under 10.6

whippersnapper

Postby whippersnapper » Sat May 22, 2010 4:52 pm

hey
i am a new inkscape user and everything is great except pattern aong path is not working
please help
thanks

aubiedoll

Postby aubiedoll » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:54 am

I have read every wiki article, google article, etc and now it just seems like all of the info is running together...

I have a Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard and I've never successfully been able to run Inkscape on my Mac. (no issues on the PC). What the heck am I doing wrong?!?!

When I go to open Inkscape, the X11 icon starts bouncing up and down in the docking station and then that's it. After a few minutes of nothing, it just crashes.

Can anyone PLEASE explain in the simpliest terms as possible exactly step by step what I need to install and do to make this work?

PapaSue

Postby PapaSue » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:30 am

Do you have the latest version of x11? I"m running 2.5.1 w/ SnowLeopard on my Mac Mini.

pelle

Postby pelle » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:18 pm

Following one of the links above to install lxml from source fixed the problem for me (on a new Mac, Snow Leopard, Python 2.6.1, Inkscape 0.48.0 r9654). Didn't have to remove MacPorts or manually copy anything or anything else complicated like that, just download and install the latest lxml. Hasn't tried yet to do the same thing with numpy.

~suv

Postby ~suv » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:43 pm

*** IMPORTANT NOTE to all users landing here by google or forum search ***

No need to install the Python module 'lxml' yourself to get extensions working on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - the issue has been fixed for Inkscape 0.48.1:

In Getting Extentions to work on A Mac OSX 10.6.5, ~suv wrote:Extensions failing on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is a known issue with Inkscape 0.47 and 0.48. It has been fixed in the meantime and the soon-to-be-released version 0.48.1 will include this fix.

Alternatively - or until then - (if you desperately need to use some extension), you can download a recent development snapshot build of Inkscape. Drag&drop it into any folder you prefer (no need to uninstall 0.48.0), maybe rename the application icon to reflect that it is an unstable devel-build.

No need to install the python module 'lxml' yourself.

Off topic:
pelle wrote:"Hasn't tried yet to do the same thing with numpy."
Numpy is preinstalled on Snow Leopard, so if you really want to bypass the bundled python modules of Inkscape and use your own modules, you don't have to install it yourself.

Return to “Discuss Software Issues”