inkscape on mac os x

This is NOT a support forum. You are welcome to discuss software issues here, but all issues should be reported on Launchpad if you want them fixed.
gglanzani

Re: inkscape on mac os x

Postby gglanzani » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:34 pm

tbfalsename wrote:I'm glad to see other people have managed to get this sorted. I'm using 10.4 and X11 1.1.2
I'm not even getting the Inkscape will take a few minutes message box now.

I've tried the various suggestions I've seen here, the opendoc one asks me what application to open opendoc with.

Trying to run Inkscape from the terminal gives me the following message

Code: Select all

/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/MacOS/Inkscape; exit
2009-05-18 23:40:36.488 defaults[769]
The domain/default pair of (kCFPreferencesAnyApplication, AppleAquaColorVariant) does not exist
2009-05-18 23:40:36.506 defaults[770]
The domain/default pair of (kCFPreferencesAnyApplication, AppleHighlightColor) does not exist

(inkscape-bin:737): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.

Emergency save activated!
Emergency save completed. Inkscape will close now.
If you can reproduce this crash, please file a bug at www.inkscape.org
with a detailed description of the steps leading to the crash, so we can fix it.
Platypus App: PID 737 killed brutally
logout
[Process completed]

I'm going to stick a bug report up later, but first does anyone have any idea how to overcome this?

Mike

Same for me here. Mac OS 10.5, latest Xquartz, but the strange thing it that Inkscape used to work up to two days ago. This happens with two versions, the 0.46, and the 0.47pre1. But it doesn't with inkscape installed from macports (therefore the macports inkscape works!)

Any idea?

I already tried to reinstall inkscape, to reinstall x11, to delete .inkscape and .inkscape-etc but everything with no luck. What could be the problem?

Thanks in advance

gglanzani

Postby gglanzani » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm

Ok, I tracked down the problem: you have to change macports path from /opt/local to something else.

This way things will work again.

I'll file a bug, hoping to help developers track this down.

~suv

Postby ~suv » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:39 pm

See 'Binary Inkscape dist crashes when MacPorts is installed' how to fix the issue (Inkscape is trying to read incompatible fontcaches from Macports).

A new 0.47 package (including the fix) will soon be available.

[Edit]
Inkscape-0.47-pre1-2.LEOPARD.dmg is up on sf.net
[/Edit]

_Antonio

Postby _Antonio » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:30 am

Same problem. But if i create ~/.fontconfig manually inkscape start.
Hope this is helpful.

Bye

wireman

Postby wireman » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:38 am

So I have iMac g5 PPC Mac OS X 10.4.11 with X11 1.1.3

I read wiki it tells me to go here http://inkscape.org/download/ but there is no version .047 for Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger on this page ?

1. Getting The Right Inkscape Installer:

You need to download the right installation file from here. Note that this page has a separate version for Panther (10.3.9 only), and Tiger (10.4.x) and above. The Panther version is PPC only, while the Tiger version is Universal Binary, meaning it installs on either older PPC or newer Intel Macs. The Tiger version will also work on Leopard (10.5.x)

Once you have the Inkscape installation package, double click on it and it will open a windows with an Inkscape icon on one side, and a shortcut to the Applications folder on the other side. You need to drag the Inkscape icon across and drop in on the Applications folder. This will copy the file to the Application folder.

To make a shortcut on your Dock, open the Applications folder, and drag the Inkscape icon to the place you want it on the dock.

Notes:

* Once installed, you should also update your X11 to version 1.1.2 here. This requires the earlier version, so you cannot just install the update.
* A heavily improved version of X11 called XQuartz(this link returns Forbidden You don't have permission to access /trac/ on this server. is expected to be available for Tiger some time in 2008. This will bring X11 on Tiger (10.4.x) into line with Leopard (10.5.x). See here for a roadmap of that project.

~suv

Postby ~suv » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:12 pm

wireman wrote:I have iMac g5 PPC Mac OS X 10.4.11 with X11 1.1.3

I read wiki it tells me to go here http://inkscape.org/download/ but there is no version .047 for Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger on this page ?

Unfortunately there are no Inkscape 0.47 packages for OS X 10.4 Tiger available yet.

AFAIK the osx packagers do not have the resources (access, time) to build a separate package and so far no one else has offered to contribute a universal build (PPC/i386) for Tiger.

wireman

Postby wireman » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:59 pm

OK Sorry to hear that...

timstring

Postby timstring » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:43 am

So, what is the latest version that is compatible with Tiger?

thanks
tim

~suv

Postby ~suv » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:15 am

timstring wrote:So, what is the latest version that is compatible with Tiger?
There are packages for Panther (PPC) and Tiger (Universal) of Inkscape 0.46 available.

Note: You need X11 to run Inkscape on OS X. For Tiger you can find it on your Installation disk under 'Optional Installs'. After the installation of X11, please use 'Software Update' to upgrade to Apple's latest X11 version for Tiger (1.1.3).

ritt

Postby ritt » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:46 pm

I tried angrytuna's suggestion and this happened. Any suggestions??? thanks!

====================

sarah-ritters-computer:~ Sarah$ /Users/Sarah/Desktop/Inkscape.app/Contents/MacOS/Inkscape; exit
Setting Language: .UTF-8

(process:11820): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
task_get_state failed

Emergency save activated!
Emergency save completed. Inkscape will close now.
If you can reproduce this crash, please file a bug at www.inkscape.org
with a detailed description of the steps leading to the crash, so we can fix it.
task_get_state failed
logout
[Process completed]

~suv

Postby ~suv » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:01 pm

ritt wrote:(process:11820): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
task_get_state failed

You are trying to run the Inkscape 0.47 Tiger PPC package on an Intel Mac. This won't work. Unfortunately nobody has contributed 0.47 builds in either Universal or Intel format for Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.

Your only option at the moment is to uninstall the version that fails to run, and get Inkscape 0.46 Tiger Universal.

PapaSue

inkscape on mac os x Snow Leopard

Postby PapaSue » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:48 am

I have a dmg of Ink 0.47 on my Mac with Snow Leopard. I cannot change the system defaults (like px to in). I have no Inkscape program folder, just Inkscape.app.

How can I get the full package so I can reset the defaults and save them?

~suv

Postby ~suv » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:43 am

PapaSue wrote:I have a dmg of Ink 0.47 on my Mac with Snow Leopard. I cannot change the system defaults (like px to in). I have no Inkscape program folder, just Inkscape.app.

Can you explain more detailed what you need or want to do? The 'Inkscape program folder' is inside the 'Inkscape.app' package that you installed from the DMG.

What defaults do you need to change? If it is about using a customized default template for new documents - you can save your new template to the Inkscape user profile (save a copy as '~/.config/inkscape/templates/default.svg'), thus overriding the default one installed in the templates folder inside the application bundle. I can provide more detailed steps how to do so, if needed.

PapaSue wrote:How can I get the full package so I can reset the defaults and save them?
I doubt you really want what you are asking for ;-) , but if your goal is to install Inkscape on Mac OS X the same way as it is on linux (basically a command line application - not a relocatable bundled osx application that integrates with the Dock and the Finder), use MacPorts ('port install inkscape').

PapaSue

Postby PapaSue » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:34 am

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I want to change the program defaults from px to inches for starters, I want to set my my grid to inches and save that default. I think I remember that 046 or 045 was a "folder" with files inside, this is just ink.app it only opens the program. If it "opens" I don't know how to do it. The program works ok but I have to set up MY peferences with each new file. I am having problems with a couple of path/effects but I work around them. It should be somewhere I can save MY default settings.

Is that clearer? I really do know how to use the program and the computer I just can't figure this one out.

Susan
http://papasuecreative.blogspot.com

~suv

Postby ~suv » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:47 am

PapaSue wrote:I think I remember that 046 or 045 was a "folder" with files inside, this is just ink.app it only opens the program. If it "opens" I don't know how to do it.

In the Finder, browse to 'Applications' (or wherever you installed it), select the Inkscape icon, right-click (or ctrl-click) it and choose "Show Package Contents" from the context menu. In the new Finder window that opens, you have access to all "system" files and resources that Inkscape.app uses as default and selectable options (Contents > Resources). However - be careful and backup files you remove or edit to ease troubleshooting and to avoid reinstalling Inkscape in case of mishap).

PapaSue wrote:I want to change the program defaults from px to inches for starters, I want to set my my grid to inches and save that default.

Inkscape has a two-tier template system:
  1. the system-provided templates including the default one:
    Contents > Resources > templates ( > default.svg)
  2. user-installed custom templates including overriding the default one used for new documents
    Home > .config > inkscape > templates ( > default.svg)

It is recommended to use the user profile folder for custom templates and leave the system ones installed with Inkscape unchanged. You can access the user templates folder either
  • using the Finder: in the top menubar, choose 'Go > Go to Folder…' (⇧⌘G) and enter this string (without the quotes) into the pop-up dialog: "~/.config/inkscape", then browse to 'templates' or create the folder if it does not yet exist.
  • from within Inkscape: any open document can be made available in the 'File > New' submenu by saving it to 'templates' listed in the left column of the 'Save as…' dialog (right below the 'Desktop' and 'File System' entries listed under 'Places')

To create a new default template with your specifications I recommend to:
  1. open a new document by choosing the page format you prefer from 'File > New' (do not resize the page or change the page orientation for a file you want to use as template!)
  2. set the 'Default units' to 'in' in 'File > Document Properties > Page > General'
  3. change the units and spacing of the default grid (or add a new one) in 'File > Document Properties > Grid'
  4. use 'File > Save a Copy…' and save the document into 'templates' (listed under 'Places' on the left) with the file name 'default.svg' (keep all lower case)
  5. restart Inkscape: the empty document in the new window Inkscape opens after relaunch should have all settings you set in steps 2 and 3

Note: above steps to create a custom default template work if you use Inkscape with default language settings (en) - in case you use a different GUI language, I can provide further details about language-specific (translated) templates if needed.

Further information about Inkscape's template system:
  • Inkscape Manual » Customization » Inkscape Configuration Files: Custom Templates
  • from the README file inside the system templates folder:

Code: Select all

This folder contains the templates for new documents created in Inkscape. You will
    normally see them listed in the File > New submenu. A template may store any
    document-specific settings (such as initial zoom and view, paper size, background and
    borders, metadata, window geometry, grid and guide settings, export hints) as well as
    any objects. To add a new template, simply save or copy it in this folder; nothing else
    is required.

Files of the mask default.*.svg are the translations of default.svg template into
    different languages. The default.svg itself is in English. These translations contain
    a translated name of the default layer and possibly different canvas size. Each
    language version of Inkscape will only use one of these templates and ignore the rest.

PapaSue

Postby PapaSue » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:53 am

SUV - Perfect....your instructions not only worked but the detail you put into them is much appreciated!!! I had tried everything I knew about opening apps, double clicking, extracting, etc. and it never occurred to me to right click to open the dmg and from there I moved right along and I am a VERY HAPPY CAMPER :D :D :D

THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Susan
http://papasuecreative.blogspot.com

exsiss

Postby exsiss » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:52 am

I have tried downloading the newest x11 and running openwhatever. I tried changing the script (even though what they said to delete was not in it).

Still it just pops up, then x11 pops up for a second, then they both die.

The first time I ran it I got a popup saying something about doing somthing with x11 and I accidently hit no. Would this be a huge problem?

Anyone have any ideas on getting this working?

exsiss

Postby exsiss » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:03 am

Okay I've tried all of the above.

Well most, you aren't very specific on where to create this new document. It sounds like you mean in the finder, however that isn't possible (there is no file>new). I tried Word and textedit but both didn't fit the further instructions. Have I just been workiing on trying to get this to work too long and am totally skipping the obvious?

encrypt

Postby encrypt » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:45 am

Ok, this is dumb, but hey. I recently upgraded to SL, and have a need to install Inkscape, and guess what, it dosnt work, it bounces then stops.

I am on an intel mac, with 10.6.4, and a version of X11/Xquataz greater than the recommend it requirement (always a little worrying in such cases), trying to use 0.48, everything seems to be 46, or 47 :(

Any ideas or suggestions? :?

~suv

Postby ~suv » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:25 am

encrypt wrote:I recently upgraded to SL, and have a need to install Inkscape, and guess what, it dosnt work, it bounces then stops.

I am on an intel mac, with 10.6.4, and a version of X11/Xquartz greater than the recommend it requirement (always a little worrying in such cases), trying to use 0.48, everything seems to be 46, or 47
Hard to tell without seeing the crash report, and I'm not sure what the last part means: Does Inkscape 0.47 work fine, or does it also crash, or did you not try to run 0.47? (Inkscape 0.46 will definitely not run on Snow Leopard).

If Inkscape 0.47 works fine, but Inkscape 0.48 crashes, it is most likely the same issue as reported in Bug #623640: “inkscape 0.48 crashes on startup in colorprofile_get_system_profile_handle()” (error when parsing the installed ICC profiles).

You can compare a recent crash report from 'inkscape-bin' on your computer with those attached to the bug report: If they look more or less the same, try the workaround described in the last comment there:
A workaround to use 0.48 is to download an older version of Inkscape, go into preferences and check "Retrieve profile from display". Close Inkscape. Now start 0.48 and it don't crash on startup.

earth.ling

Postby earth.ling » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:39 pm

Two years between posts about Mac OSX... arrrgh... either means I'm missing some nugget of wisdom or launching Inkscape on Mountain Lion 10.8.1 has new (but probably similar) issues.

Using Ink 48.2 and XQuartz 2.7.3, the fact is the launch is over before it starts.

I hardly think I'm the only one who would appreciate some really basic "how-to launch the app" or "how to intervene with XQ" tips. After that... I hope to see what follows!

Thanks!

Lost in XQspace

earth.ling

Postby earth.ling » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:33 am

Found other info in a slightly more up to date topic and... it works!

Went into XQ prefs and unclicked "Update Pasteboard when CLIPBOARD changes"; seemed to do it for me.

operapixie

Postby operapixie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:01 am

Hi there,
I have JUST switched from Windows to Mac, and have OS X v 10.8.2, which seems to be a version that Inkscape shouldn't be having problems with (if I've read instructions correctly). But still, after installing, I open it, it bounces a bit, then disappears.

I've seen above a reference to XQ prefs. But being new to the Mac world and vernacular, I've no idea what this is.

I really need to get this working so I can open a bunch of old .cdr files.

HELP?

Thanks in advance.

~Laura

gabster

Postby gabster » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:22 am

So, I am a late comer to this but it seems like a common bug.

OSX 10.6.8
XQuarts 2.3.5
Inkscape 0.48.2

I start X11 first then Inkscape - it flashes for a second then... nothing.

Any hope to jump start it?

thanks,
Gabstero

nema189804

Postby nema189804 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:13 am

Hello there,
I have a Macbook Air with OS X Yosemite and I have installed what I believe is the latest version of Xquartz (2.7.7). However I open Xquartz and then try to open Inkscape but it will start to run and instantly shut down...
Does anyone know how to fix that?

Thank you ^^

Return to “Discuss Software Issues”