InkCut Extension, send HPGL directly to cutter from Inkscape

Post about using Inkscape with cutters or plotters.
Farrell

Re: InkCut Extension, send HPGL directly to cutter from Inks

Postby Farrell » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:09 am

I was able to work around the other problem, but I can't get Inkcut to cleanly cut rectangles. Even in the preview, with offset and overcut turned off, one edge of each rectangle is slanted. Any ideas?

-Farrell

human39

Postby human39 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:28 am

Thanks for this! I'm really excited to be able to cut in linux.

I'm noticing a few problems.

- When I tell the program to cut more than one image, it seems to stack them over itself, basically cutting itself twice.
I can work around this and just duplicate the graphic in inkscape, but I figure I'd throw that out there.

- I'm getting cuts like this:

5441942714_2d861d59e2_o.jpg
5441942714_2d861d59e2_o.jpg (16.36 KiB) Viewed 17581 times

(The triangle should be even and the cut should be complete.)

The preview is NOT showing this. I've tried to play with the blade offset but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm not sure what's going on.

Any help would be appreciated.

rcjetflyer

Postby rcjetflyer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:21 am

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 and Inkscape 0.48. I installed Inkcut V 1.0 to try to run my US Cutter MH721 vinyl cutter.
It appears that the proper files are installed in the inkscape extensions folder (.config\inkscape\extensions), the inkcut folder and the inkcutext1.inx files are there but Inkcut is not starting with Inkscape.

The error logs shows:
Extension "InkCut v1.0" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
type: executable
string: inkcut/inkcutext.py

Extension "XFIG Input" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
string: fig2dev

Extension "LaTeX formula" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
string: latex

Extension "LaTeX formula" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
string: dvips

Extension "Sketch Input" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
string: skconvert

Can anyone tell me which dependency I am missing?

frmdstryr

Postby frmdstryr » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:28 am

Open a termainal and post the result of

Code: Select all

ls .config/inkscape/extensions

and try checking out this
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1334092&page=3

rcjetflyer

Postby rcjetflyer » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:45 am

frmdstryr wrote:Open a termainal and post the result of

kevin@kevin-OptiPlex-GX240:~$ ls .config/inkscape/extensions
inkcut inkcutext1.inx

rcjetflyer

Postby rcjetflyer » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:15 am

frmdstryr wrote:Open a termainal and post the result of

I tried the command [sudo inkscape] suggested in the link you provided. It opened Inkscape, but the option for "Cutter/Plotter" did not show up under Extensions.
That option does show up when I open Inkscape normally (Applications/Graphics/Inkscape), but nothing happens when I click on it and there is no drop down window.

frmdstryr

Postby frmdstryr » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:26 am

human39 wrote:Thanks for this! I'm really excited to be able to cut in linux.

I'm noticing a few problems.

- When I tell the program to cut more than one image, it seems to stack them over itself, basically cutting itself twice.
I can work around this and just duplicate the graphic in inkscape, but I figure I'd throw that out there.

- I'm getting cuts like this:

5441942714_2d861d59e2_o.jpg

(The triangle should be even and the cut should be complete.)

The preview is NOT showing this. I've tried to play with the blade offset but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm not sure what's going on.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is a bug in the overcut and offset algorithm I wrote. Next semester I'm taking a computer graphics mathematics class so I'm hoping to be able to fix this.

frmdstryr

Postby frmdstryr » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:36 am

Farrell wrote:I was able to work around the other problem, but I can't get Inkcut to cleanly cut rectangles. Even in the preview, with offset and overcut turned off, one edge of each rectangle is slanted. Any ideas?

-Farrell

Looks like another bug, I think it assumes that you want to have blade offset enabled.

rcjetflyer

Postby rcjetflyer » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:03 pm

Update.

After several email exchanges with frmdstryr he was able to fix the issue I was having with Inkcut not loading.

I am a virtual linux novice so I don't completely understand what we did to fix it, but the two commands that did the trick were:

sudo chmod -R 777 /home/kevin/.config/inkscape/extensions/inkcut
ls -l /home/kevin/.config/inkscape/extensions/inkcut

After giving these commands and restarting Inkscape the Inkcut extension loaded perfectly. About 20 minutes later I had figured out how to convert objects to path and get the Inkcut window to open. It found my cutter on the usb port automatically and I was plotting images on paper with the plotter pen. About 10 minutes later I felt confident enough to start cutting vinyl for paint masks.

Inkcut seems to be very intuitive, and much easier to use than the garbage Sign Blazer program that came with my vinyl cutter. In the past I have been drawing my projects in Inkscape on my linux home computer and exporting to .ps files then having to take those files to the office to use my Windows machine and the Sign Blazer software to cut. Now with this I can do everything on my linux machine right here at home.

Thank you for your help! :mrgreen:

frmdstryr

Postby frmdstryr » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:06 am

Yep, the problem was a permission issue. If you this error message in the extensions-error log under (.config/inkscape)
Extension "InkCut v1.0" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
string: inkcut/inkcutext.py

Try this command

sudo chmod -R 777 .config/inkscape/extensions/inkcut

Then restart Inkscape.

~suv

Postby ~suv » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:35 am

frmdstryr wrote:Try this command

sudo chmod -R 777 .config/inkscape/extensions/inkcut

Hmm, do you think that group and world indeed need permission to write into that sub-directory of your extension, installed in the (private) user configuration directory in $HOME?
(Using 'sudo' for changing permissions of files/directories in $HOME usually isn't needed either - unless unpacking the tar file indeed would set some odd permissions when extracting (which I can confirm the one for InkCut doesn't ;) , having unpacked InkCut v1.0 downloaded from the forum topic as well as from inkcut.sourceforge.net)).

From my understand, using

chmod -R 755 $HOME/.config/inkscape/extensions/inkcut
would be sufficient and safer (at least on my own system I'd be wary to allow world write permissions on any directory in $HOME, or elsewhere (except maybe, possibly, if unavoidable, in $TMP). 'Write' access is not needed to list the contents of a directory nor for executing a file from within.

human39

Postby human39 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:37 am

frmdstryr wrote:This is a bug in the overcut and offset algorithm I wrote. Next semester I'm taking a computer graphics mathematics class so I'm hoping to be able to fix this.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm a developer myself but I'm not very familiar with these type of algorithms. Do you have an idea what functions the bugs are in? I could try to look and maybe even write some unit tests if you think it would help development.

human39

Postby human39 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:49 am

frmdstryr wrote:This is a bug in the overcut and offset algorithm I wrote. Next semester I'm taking a computer graphics mathematics class so I'm hoping to be able to fix this.

Do you have an idea what functions the bugs are in? I'm a developer, but not much experience with this type of math. Maybe I can also try putting together some unit tests to help with development.

Mr Grumpy

Postby Mr Grumpy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:52 am

wonder if anyone can point me in a direction, I am using a mimaki cg60sr cutter works ok with windows and AI, I have a new net book which I have loaded
ubuntu natty narwhale inkscape inkcut.
The when I try to cut i get >>> bash: /dev/ttyUSBO: Permission denied
I have been advised this is because I am using the usb port and need to use a serial port but my cutter is only USB, but i have seen my cutter on the list of supported cutters on the inkcut page.
Gratefull for any advise as have hit a dead end.......

PatJr

Postby PatJr » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:19 am

any tips appreciated

I'm trying to set up a Roland PNC-1100
I can't figure out how to get the device settings correct.
I want to use /dev/lp0 (parallel port I hope/think)

an one know if there are any compatible plotters I could install in Cups ?

os - fedora 15 32 bit

Thank You,
pat Jr.

===
added a printer to Cups
Lpt#1
Generic
Raw Que

now the printer shows up in inkcut but I'm not sure if this is the way to do this ??
====

brynn

Postby brynn » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Welcome Mr Grumpy!
Could you use some kind of adapter, to change the USB to a serial port?

Hi PatJr! Sorry I have no clue about your problem. But I'm thinking if the printer shows up in Inkcut, why not just try to cut something, and see what happens?

Both of you please have patience. I think frmdstryr visits the forum from time to time. If the wait gets too long, perhaps try a PM :D

Farrell

Postby Farrell » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:17 am

Mr Grumpy: That permission denied error means the user you are logged in as does not have write access to /dev/ttyUSB0. You can change permissions with "sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0" but keep in mind that will give full access to all users. That will be fine if it's your computer.

PatJr: I have never used a plotter with a parallel port but you could try using InkCut's "Serial" interface and set the port to "/dev/lp0" and see if anything works. I probably can't be much help if that does not work. Good luck though.

-Farrell

PorxGrinder

Postby PorxGrinder » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:03 am

Hi! I think someone already had this problem, but nevertheless... I'm using (trying to) version 1.0 with Secabo C30, and it cuts the image rotated 90 degrees... How do I fix this? Any alternatives? Any help would be appreciated. Thnx

khryss

Postby khryss » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:02 am

i have tried and tried to put these in right place in my /usr/share/inkscape/extensions directory .. which is the only inkscape extensions directory i can find. Where the readme says there is nothing, and nothing at all shows up in my extensions menu. please help i am running ubuntu 11.04 and inkscape 0.48

ffd8

Postby ffd8 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:57 pm

while i'll surely get flack for saying this - i'm attempting to get inkcut up and running on OS X. i think i managed to get all dependencies installed - but am hitting a strange bug when starting to run the extension, it claims i'm missing CUPS - but upon checking, I do have version 1.4.7 installed... does InkCut require a newer one or is there some sort of linking issue taking place? ANY advice would be most helpful! here is the error message I get:

(process:3336): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "inkcutext.py", line 71, in <module>
effect.affect()
File "/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/inkex.py", line 215, in affect
self.effect()
File "inkcutext.py", line 47, in effect
from app.main import InkscapePlugin
File "/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/inkcut/app/main.py", line 33, in <module>
from bin.device import Device
File "/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/inkcut/app/bin/device.py", line 27, in <module>
import cups
ImportError: No module named cups

inflex

Postby inflex » Tue May 29, 2012 12:04 pm

Using the latest 0.48.3 here (Ubuntu 12.04) and despite everything I've tried I cannot get the extension to show up in the Extensions menu. I've checked the extension-error.log and initially it had some unmet dependencies, they've been resolved and the log is now empty, but alas, still no extension showing up in the menu :(

Looks like back to the old script system for me with hpgl-distiller :(

Mr Grumpy

Postby Mr Grumpy » Wed May 30, 2012 7:41 am

Farrell wrote:Mr Grumpy: That permission denied error means the user you are logged in as does not have write access to /dev/ttyUSB0. You can change permissions with "sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0" but keep in mind that will give full access to all users. That will be fine if it's your computer.
-Farrell

well after a long delay Im back trying to cut from inkscape.
I tried the chmod on usbo but got a not found error so i think I am missing the bleeding obvious, I plugged my usb key into the port Im trying to use for my plotter ran a lsusb and get

fix@easyFixBox:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 13d3:5126 IMC Networks
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 054c:0439 Sony Corp.
fix@easyFixBox:~$ cat Desktop/hpgl > /dev/ttyUSB005
bash: /dev/ttyUSB005: Permission denied
fix@easyFixBox:~$ chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB005
chmod: cannot access `/dev/ttyUSB005': No such file or directory

I have had a look around a few forums but can not find the correct command for the usb port i am trying to use - Bus 001 if any one can shed some light on my ignorance I would be very gratefull.

frmdstryr

Postby frmdstryr » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:12 am

@Everyone
Sorry I haven't been on here lately... after some people have commented it has re-sparked my interest in the app. I have been working on a completely redesigned version but unfortunately it is very slow and still needs much reworking.

@Mr Grumpy
With the USB plugged in try:

ls /dev | grep ttyUSB

Then once you know the correct port (let's assume 005) do:

[b]sudo[/b] chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB005

Finally:

cat Desktop/hpgl > /dev/ttyUSB005

There seems to be a change in permissions to USB devices in recent versions of ubuntu, I've been getting the same permission errors. I haven't had much time to use it much lately...

@inflex
If the extension doesn't show up it can be one of two things, either .inx is in the wrong location or the dependency defined in the .inx cannot be found. Also make sure all instances of inkscape are restarted after installing or it will not show up.

@ffd8
1) Make sure you have the pycups or python-cups installed (open a terminal and type "python", then type "import cups", if you get an error it's not installed)
2) OR, If your device doesn't need a printer connection, just uncomment the lines of code and make it return an empty list.

@PorxGrinder
This should be fixed in a new verison (whenever that is...)

stefann

Postby stefann » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Sorry I haven't been on here lately... after some people have commented it has re-sparked my interest in the app. I have been working on a completely redesigned version but unfortunately it is very slow and still needs much reworking.

Great news!! :D – If there's anything an advanced user could do to help you (testing, translation,…) please tell me.

rknabe

Postby rknabe » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:21 am

ffd8,

I managed to get this to work on Mac OS X Mountain Lion, using the macports build of Inkscape trunk. I had to install a couple other packages, and get rid of all the references in the code to CUPS (which you really don't need since you are probably using serial port anyway). When I first started trying this, I got at least some movement from my cutter once (US Cutter Laserpoint 24). After that, it never would work again.

Today, after having upgraded my macports inkscape build, I gave it another try and it is cutting now!
I have to go back and document everything I did and collect my changes. I also noticed that the InkCut source forge had some new code, so I may incorporate that as well. Mine was based on the tarball realease from May 2010, but they have "unreleased" changes it seems

Return to “Inkscape & Cutters/Plotters”