InkCut Extension, send HPGL directly to cutter from Inkscape

Post about using Inkscape with cutters or plotters.
frmdstryr

Re: InkCut Extension, send HPGL directly to cutter from Inkscape

Postby frmdstryr » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:31 pm

kmrs75 wrote:sorry i have been gone a while been working alot everyday since may - but im back on and off still working alot

here is what you requested
ken@gateway-desktop:~$ ls .config/inkscape/extensions/
app copying doc inkcutext1.inx inkcutext.py readme
ken@gateway-desktop:~$

i removed all the files and tried it again but still getting just a small drop down no options here is another pic of it so you can see it

sorry my readme's aren't very detailed... you want to simply extract the tar.gz file to .config/inkscape/extensions/
all you need its the inkcutext1.inx and then copy the whole inkcut folder as well, it looks like you extracted the inkcut folder into extensions

hopefully that'll get you up and running with v1.0

Roger

Postby Roger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:27 pm

The premiére photo is truncated, in the directory / home / gabriel6522 / .inkscape / extensions / the file Inkcutext1.inx does not almost appear. We just see the beginning of I.
In + Roger

kmrs75

Postby kmrs75 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:41 pm

ok what i was doing is taking everything that was in that fold over to the extentions folder - i wasnt moving the folder with everything in it.

i will try that when i get home

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:24 pm

Hi, is anybody working on getting InkCut working in Windows-Version of Inkscape. I would also like to use Inkscape for Cutting with an old Roland-CAMM1. I got the dialogs showing on Inkscape 0.47-devel on XP SP3.

I installed some GDK-Stuff, commented out cups - have no cups on Windows-box and also did not get preview working (because of the lack of librsvg on my windows..)

Are anybody interested in a Windows-Version - or I am the only lonely Windows Guy here ^^

Kind Regards,
-Ingo

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:37 pm

['PU9897,400', 'PD0,400', 'PD0,9830', 'PD9897,9830', 'PD9897,400']
Sent 7 commands.
IN;SP1;VS4;FS80;PU9897,400;PD0,400;PD0,9830;PD9897,9830;PD9897,400;PU10296,0;

IN;SP1;
PU400,400;PD12400,400,12400,3120,400,3120,400,400;
PU1400,1760;PD1200,1760,1200,1749,1201,1738,1203,1727,1205,1716,1208,1705,1211,1694,1215,1684,1220,1674,1225,1664,1230,1654,1237,1645,1243,1636,1250,1627,1258,1619,1266,1611,1275,1604,1281,1599,1288,1594,1295,1589,1303,1585,1310,1581,1318,1578,1326,1574,1334,1571,1342,1569,1350,1566,1358,1564,1366,1563,1375,1562,1383,1561,1392,1560,1400,1560,1400,1760;
PU1400,1760;PD1600,1760,1600,1771,... PU0,0;

In 1 the file to generate by Inkcut 0.2
The file cannot work because of [] and " and it has "Sent 7 commands."

In 2 The file to generate by a module to create by Antoine Barberi (that I can send you) difficult to use, of numerous actions(shares) on the file SVG before being able to register(record) it *(.GTEC ) then it needs to send with a serial terminal the file (.gtec )
If luckily we succeed in creating the file (.gtec ) he(it) works.
That to make?
Thank you Roger

sansillusion

Postby sansillusion » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:35 am

Hi there, thanks for the great plugin.
Just a little bug, when cutting there is a gap between the starting point and end point I tried playing with the overcut and blade offset to no avail...
Nothing changes in the cutting when i change those values ?
My machine is a creation pcut CT-630.

ps. I had to set the XON XOFF options in the device setting to make it work and uncheck the invert y axis (plus compensate in position y-Axis).

Thanks !

Marvs

Postby Marvs » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:01 pm

Great extension, been after something like this for a long time. Actually ran a plotter that my sign program in Win would not.
I did have to install a couple of files to make it work in Kubuntu Lucid:

librsvg2-common
python-serial (as stated in readme)

The plotter is a Creation, only problem was that it cut in mirror, checking the flip axis did throw out the material - I will try the settings mentioned above - or just carry on performing a horizontal flip as i'm about to plot.

Wishlist:
Would love to be able to just select and cut, including text, grouped objects etc.
Cut by colour (as in Signlab) this is useful for selecting a group of objects like a logo and selecting each colour in turn in the plot window.

I know there could well be a long way to go before my wishlist, I'm very happy there is now this great step forward in Linux.

Great work, thank you.

Marvs

Postby Marvs » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:10 pm

I thought I would update my testing again......

I have been messing with this for 2 days solid, I'm lucky that I have access to couple of plotters.

After a Kubuntu update from the PPA repos I found that my preview is mirrored but the plotter plots correctly in the default settings. This is good news because I do not need to mirror my selection prior to cutting.

I'm testing an issue at the moment that will more than likely be plotter but I'm posting so it can be looked at if it is the extension. I can cut small lettering and its perfect, if I send a file thats maybe 1m or more long it squashes it by approx 20%. I did a test by sending a square of 100mm and another the same at 1m apart and it was perfect again, correct scaling. If I send the lettering/logo it shrinks it..... Very weird.

Apart from this its great, I will continue my testing and learning of this extension.

sansillusion

Postby sansillusion » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:02 am

Hi there I have a creation ct-630 and it cuts fine if the file is small but if the file is to big and detailed it stops at some point.

I have printed to file and used (split) to split the file in chunks of 100000 bytes and if i send them 1 by 1 waiting for the machine to stop before sending the other it works so i have a machine memory overflow issue here. I posted to the open discution on sourceforge for that my current solution is:
print to file (dont click send)
split -b 100000 inkcut.hpgl
cat aa >>/dev/ttyS0
(wait for machine to finish)
cat ab>>/dev/ttyS0
etc...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/inkcut/forums/forum/1160772/topic/3761330 here is my post about this

frmdstryr

Postby frmdstryr » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:12 am

sansillusion wrote:Hi there, thanks for the great plugin.
Just a little bug, when cutting there is a gap between the starting point and end point I tried playing with the overcut and blade offset to no avail...
Nothing changes in the cutting when i change those values ?
My machine is a creation pcut CT-630.

ps. I had to set the XON XOFF options in the device setting to make it work and uncheck the invert y axis (plus compensate in position y-Axis).

Thanks !

Try using Ctrl++ to add the paths. If overcut isn't working it's usually because inkscape didn't put a closepath command on the end of a path. The next version I can have it detect whether or not it's closed instead of just relying on the z command.

frmdstryr

Postby frmdstryr » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:15 am

Marvs wrote:Great extension, been after something like this for a long time. Actually ran a plotter that my sign program in Win would not.
I did have to install a couple of files to make it work in Kubuntu Lucid:

librsvg2-common
python-serial (as stated in readme)

The plotter is a Creation, only problem was that it cut in mirror, checking the flip axis did throw out the material - I will try the settings mentioned above - or just carry on performing a horizontal flip as i'm about to plot.

Wishlist:
Would love to be able to just select and cut, including text, grouped objects etc.
Cut by colour (as in Signlab) this is useful for selecting a group of objects like a logo and selecting each colour in turn in the plot window.

I know there could well be a long way to go before my wishlist, I'm very happy there is now this great step forward in Linux.

Great work, thank you.

I'll have to include those requirements in the readme. I like your wishlist, i'll have to do a little more research to figure out how to convert text & objects to paths as well as apply matrix transformations to groups. Once school starts back up, i'll have more time to work on it.

frmdstryr

Postby frmdstryr » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:18 am

sansillusion wrote:Hi there I have a creation ct-630 and it cuts fine if the file is small but if the file is to big and detailed it stops at some point.

I have printed to file and used (split) to split the file in chunks of 100000 bytes and if i send them 1 by 1 waiting for the machine to stop before sending the other it works so i have a machine memory overflow issue here. I posted to the open discution on sourceforge for that my current solution is:
print to file (dont click send)
split -b 100000 inkcut.hpgl
cat aa >>/dev/ttyS0
(wait for machine to finish)
cat ab>>/dev/ttyS0
etc...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/inkcut/forums/forum/1160772/topic/3761330 here is my post about this

I'm planning on making a feature in device settings to break the commands up into x mb chunks and then send those. On my cutter if the data is too large it will just start cutting sporadically. I'm glad you mentioned it because I wasn't sure if it was just my pos US Cutter or not. Haha.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:33 pm

Guest wrote:Hi, is anybody working on getting InkCut working in Windows-Version of Inkscape. I would also like to use Inkscape for Cutting with an old Roland-CAMM1. I got the dialogs showing on Inkscape 0.47-devel on XP SP3.

I installed some GDK-Stuff, commented out cups - have no cups on Windows-box and also did not get preview working (because of the lack of librsvg on my windows..)

Are anybody interested in a Windows-Version - or I am the only lonely Windows Guy here ^^

Kind Regards,
-Ingo

Just came across this thread and myself trying to get it working under windows

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:36 pm

I'm unable to extract the .tar files to anything. Can someone point me in the right direction to download this program? Are there instructions somewhere? I copied all 3 .tar files, but when I click on them, it tries to open rather than install (nothing happens at all), so not sure what I'm doing wrong here? I can't find an Inkcut folder. Could someone tell me in newbie language how to download this awesome program?
thanks!
dee

brynn

Postby brynn » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:13 pm

I'm not sure, but I think .tar files don't work with Windows. I noticed in the 3rd or 4th message up from this, where someone asks about a Windows version. Actually I have no idea what OS you use, but for some reason was assuming Windows. I think .tar files only work in Ubuntu, in any case.

stefann

Postby stefann » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:28 am

Try 7zip (http://www.7-zip.org/). Here's more about the tar file format: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _format%29

stefann

Postby stefann » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:33 am

...but it won't be any help to you. InkCut is a program for GNU/Linux-systems.
http://inkcut.sourceforge.net/

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:28 am

ahh, That explains it then. I'm a Windows user (the horrible Win 7 too). This is sad news, hoping someone will be able to adapt it for us windows users down the road. Thanks, I can quit trying now at least!
dee

cohort

Postby cohort » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:52 am

If it were converted to use wxPython instead of pygtk and pywxsvg instead of librsvg2, that would get you most of the way toward being cross-platform.

bman22

Postby bman22 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:17 am

I have an HP 7550A Graphics plotter that works quite well, and I have been trying to get it working with my linux machine and inkscape using InkCut. I got everything installed and all the options set right, but I am getting a communication error. The plotter does not like what InkCut is sending to it. Its not just an unknown command, that is a different error, but an actual serial setup error. I set my plotter to 8bits, Even Parity, 1 stop bit, XON/XOFF, and Full Duplex, and set InkCut to 8bit, Even Parity, 1 Stop bit, and XON/XOFF, so I don't know what the issue is. I tried half duplex as well, and that didn't work either. I played with pretty much all of the settings on both the plotter and inkcut. Any idea what the issue is?

bman22

Postby bman22 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:56 am

I don't think I am going to get the pySerial working with this plotter, but I managed to get it working using cat filename > /dev/ttyS1. Where can I modify the python script to execute that instead of the pySerial stuff? I tried changing the plot definition in device.py to use subprocess.call(["cat", data, " > /dev/ttyS0"]); but it had no apparent effect.

Edit: I got it working using os.system. Works great, best software i have tried to date. Would love to see some ability to do the fill's on a path, as well as perhaps multiple colors, for us people using plotters.

lumberjack_jeff

Re: InkCut Extension, send HPGL directly to cutter from Inks

Postby lumberjack_jeff » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:18 am

I get the following message on exit.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/jeff/.config/inkscape/extensions/inkcut/app/main.py", line 293, in on_material_changed
size = material.getSize(selected)
File "/home/jeff/.config/inkscape/extensions/inkcut/app/bin/material.py", line 29, in getSize
xml = etree.parse(xml).getroot()
File "lxml.etree.pyx", line 2583, in lxml.etree.parse (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:25057)
File "parser.pxi", line 1465, in lxml.etree._parseDocument (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:63523)
File "parser.pxi", line 1494, in lxml.etree._parseDocumentFromURL (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:63767)
File "parser.pxi", line 1394, in lxml.etree._parseDocFromFile (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:62923)
File "parser.pxi", line 968, in lxml.etree._BaseParser._parseDocFromFile (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:60309)
File "parser.pxi", line 542, in lxml.etree._ParserContext._handleParseResultDoc (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:56659)
File "parser.pxi", line 628, in lxml.etree._handleParseResult (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:57504)
File "parser.pxi", line 566, in lxml.etree._raiseParseError (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:56876)
IOError: Error reading file '/home/rhino/projects/inkcut/app/config/materials.xml': failed to load external entity "/home/rhino/projects/inkcut/app/config/materials.xml"

/home/rhino doesn't exist on my machine.

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:28 am

lumberjack_jeff, LOVE you screen name, lol!
I can't answer your question, but just wanted to say Image

lumberjack_jeff

Postby lumberjack_jeff » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:48 am

Suspenders n'all. :D

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Farrell

Postby Farrell » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:03 pm

Just tried 1.0 with my UScutter LP 24" cutter. I noticed two problems:

1. The plot is mirrored and upside down.

If I uncheck "Invert y-axis" my cutter tries to feed a lot of vinyl. It is so much that I press my cutter's reset button to keep it from running out of vinyl and trying to cut the cutting strip.

2. It seems like InkCut has the X and Y axes swapped. If I use the "Feed once finished (cm) 1.00" it cuts and moves my blade holder to the left instead of moving the vinyl down. The plot is rendered correctly except for the mirror effect and being upside down. In other words, the plot is not 90 degrees off like I would expect if the two axes were swapped. Weird...?

-Farrell

Return to “Inkscape & Cutters/Plotters”