An Introduction

Introduce yourself, get to know each other.
Beta0
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:05 pm

An Introduction

Postby Beta0 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:37 pm

I might as well be honest.

My username is Beta0. I love to use programs to make drawings (like MS Paint, Paint.NET and Gimp); though that doesn't mean I don't sketch traditionally.
And I am not new to Inkscape. Well, I'm learning my way around the program, but, still...

*Story*
Sometime ago (months or last year, maybe), I downloaded Inkscape. I was having trouble trying to look for a way to make good lineart. I read that an SVG file of the lines could be imported to Gimp. I don't remember very well the tutorial, just that it's on deviantART.
So, I tried using it. But I didn't like how the lines of my drawings came out. Then, I found out that Gimp could produce good lineart without Inkscape. So...I deleted the program. It was difficult to understand.
Months passed and I was studying about graphics software at college. (I was already there.) I learned about the two types. Also, I learned how to use them; they were Photoshop and Illustrator. I was already familiar to raster graphics programs; so, no problem with Photoshop.
But Illustrator was challenging. And I took it, gladly. It was fun.
Already knowing that Inkscape and Illustrator are vector graphic programs, I decided to give Inkscape another chance. I know it can do more than just lines.
*End of story*

So, here I am. Presenting myself at the forums. And still learning what this program can do.

Nice to meet you all. :] (I hope I don't get kicked out. Not joking.)

User avatar
shawnhcorey
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:17 pm

Re: An Introduction

Postby shawnhcorey » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:25 pm

Welcome to the forums.

The main difference between raster drawing and vectors is that everything in vectors "floats". With raster, the pixels dominate and you think of the image within the frame. With vectors, you have to think of how one piece of the image is related to another. There is no solid frame of reference, just a relative one.

Beta0
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: An Introduction

Postby Beta0 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:02 pm

shawnhcorey wrote:Welcome to the forums.

The main difference between raster drawing and vectors is that everything in vectors "floats". With raster, the pixels dominate and you think of the image within the frame. With vectors, you have to think of how one piece of the image is related to another. There is no solid frame of reference, just a relative one.


I'll keep it in mind. Thanks. :]

carolineegordon
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:47 pm

Re: An Introduction

Postby carolineegordon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:16 pm

Raster drawing and vectors are almost same but, there is the only different is vectors "floats". You can modify raster to vector, but you can not modify vector to raster image/drawings.

Beta0
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: An Introduction

Postby Beta0 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:18 pm

carolineegordon wrote:Raster drawing and vectors are almost same but, there is the only different is vectors "floats". You can modify raster to vector, but you can not modify vector to raster image/drawings.


Thanks for the tip. (And sorry for not responding earlier.) :]

tylerdurden
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:04 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: An Introduction

Postby tylerdurden » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:38 am

Howdy,

You probably know already:
    Inkscape edits SVG natively.
    SVG is written in XML and can be read directly by browsers (including mobile) and manipulated by scripts... SVG images can therefore be made interactive, like Flash.
    Inkscape is open-source and in constant development, so features found in other vector apps may not be in Inkscape yet, and sometimes stuff is broken.


Looking forward to seeing more of your work,
TD
Have a nice day.

I'm using 0.92.1 64 bit win8.1

The Inkscape manual has lots of helpful info! http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/

Beta0
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: An Introduction

Postby Beta0 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:53 am

tylerdurden wrote:Howdy,

You probably know already:
    Inkscape edits SVG natively.
    SVG is written in XML and can be read directly by browsers (including mobile) and manipulated by scripts... SVG images can therefore be made interactive, like Flash.
    Inkscape is open-source and in constant development, so features found in other vector apps may not be in Inkscape yet, and sometimes stuff is broken.


Looking forward to seeing more of your work,
TD


I knew most of it, except that SVG is written in XML. I always wondered why every vector-related work could be seen in a browser. Now, I know. :o

Thanks. And sorry for the extremely long delay... :oops:


Return to “Personal discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest