Can this be done in Inkscape

Post questions on how to use or achieve an effect in Inkscape.
Kento

Can this be done in Inkscape

Postby Kento » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:53 am

Hi the attached jpeg is a photo of a banana leaf infested with the dreaded "Black Sigatoka disease" which I think would make a lovely design for a t-shirt.Is is possible to get such an effect in inkscape or create somthing similar.
Attachments
1_black_leaf_streak_sigatoka_leaf_bllight_1.jpg
1_black_leaf_streak_sigatoka_leaf_bllight_1.jpg (17.76 KiB) Viewed 5277 times

brynn

Re: Can this be done in Inkscape

Postby brynn » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:59 am

Isn't it amazing how beautiful is the natural world!

If you were talking about photorealism, that would be a very challenging project. But since you're thinking about a t-shirt design, I would say it probably can be done. As they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" there is something you see in the photo that you want to use. But I don't know exactly which part you're focused on. Is it the leaf itself, or the colors or the vertical stripes? I know what I see, and what I might do, but I'm not sure what you're seeing or thinking about.

Kento

Postby Kento » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:01 pm

Indeed, it is truly amazing, the natural world is beautiful. Photorealism no way that would spoil the fun but yes I see lots of things in that photo e.g a riot of colour & highlights etc.My apologies on not being specific but my interest is in the colour & or the vertical stripes as you've mentioned. I would like if possible to interpret either or both of them in a design if possible as I've spent time thinking about interpreting such.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:21 pm

The first thing that came to mind for me, is using vertical strips or stripes in say 6 to 10 of those colors. And then somehow use them as various stages of shading, for example in a face or a body, or maybe a landscape, or a pet. It's hard to describe, but similar to how I've sometimes seen a face where it's all made up of numbers or letters or even dots, where the large dots are in the areas of highlights and the smaller dots make up the shadows. I don't know, maybe that is better suited for black and white units or grayscale. And I really have no idea how to do it, with Inkscape or anything else. But that's what I first thought of.

Well, for lack of anything better to say, I guess you could play around with Tiled Clones. That is one amazing tool which imo does not get the respect or even frequency of use that it deserves. It really is a powerful tool. Even those colors in a radial spray (like in Help menu > Tutorials > Tips and Tricks) would look nice :D

Kento

Postby Kento » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:59 am

You are not only a great contributor to this forum from what I've read but you are indeed a very creative man; wonderful ideas. I have checked out the "tiled clones tool breifly but will immerse myself into trying out this weekend because it is huge. Thanks & have a very good weekend.I hope

druban

Postby druban » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:06 am

Brynn! Downgraded to malehood again. Time to put your actual picture in your avatar, I think... or let us design one for you that makes your gender clear to non-english speakers!
Your mind is what you think it is.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:15 am

Aaw, it's not such a bad thing really. For the most part, it doesn't bother me much. Typically in a forum, once the active users know genders, it gets kind of spread around. But in this forum, I think it's not as socially oriented as others, so that people don't browse around as much.

I've been thinking of adding an "e" on the end. Do you think "brynne" looks more feminine? I guess now that I actually see it, it doesn't help much. Or maybe only one "n" like "bryn". I guess that seems a little better, but not really much. Honestly I was in my 30s before I'd even heard of anyone else named Bryn. And nearly 50 before I learned it was more common in Europe, and a "genderless name" so to speak (like Chris, Jody, Lynn etc.) I'll try to come up with something to put in my forum signature. I really don't want to seem overly wedged about it.

Maybe if I used a flower for an avatar? Actually that should work, because I don't think a lot of men would use a flower. The problem with this forum is that the avs are so darn small! You'd think a graphics forum would emphasize graphics, lol :lol:

I guess I'll either look around for a tiny daisy, or try to draw one. Maybe I'll do it with a spirogram? .....hhmmm.....I just really like my current av.....but I could move it to the sig I guess?

Thanks for your support, druban :D

Kento

Postby Kento » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:28 am

Ops! I am sorry, really did not mean to cause any harm or mischeif with the gender issue, need to be more careful in the future. Your current avatar is just fine.

druban

Postby druban » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:59 pm

I was thinking comic book superheroine! With an Inkscape logo on her chest and a cape. But maybe a unicorn or a pony might be more modest...
Your mind is what you think it is.

BobSongs

Postby BobSongs » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:38 pm

druban wrote:I was thinking comic book superheroine! With an Inkscape logo on her chest and a cape. But maybe a unicorn or a pony might be more modest...

ROFL!!!

Ohhhh, druban!! You're so funny. Yeah, Unicorns and flowers and gosh, what else?

<grins>

Brynn's right. This is more of a... "Help me!! My Inkscape's broken" forum than a "So? How's your mom? Is her back feeling better?" forum.

Brynn? I still think you're such a trooper. I'm thankful for all who work hard to answer questions. But I think we'd all be wandering around lost if you weren't here. :mrgreen:

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:33 pm

I was thinking comic book superheroine! With an Inkscape logo on her chest and a cape.

Image Image Oh my goodness!
If I had any cartoon drawing skills, I might have to try drawing that :lol: Or what the heck, I might try anyway :P

Really, you guys are too kind. It's a happy win-win :D

Kento

Postby Kento » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:57 am

I was feeling bad about my mistake mixing things up but guess what? you guys are really funny. This thread is rather entertaining. BTW brynn what do you mean, if you had any cartoon drawing skills? your response to my questions was rather artistic. You probably have some some dormant skills just waiting to jump out.

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:56 am

^ As always, brynn is just modest ,)

*edit

If it would please milady to use milady's humble servant`s insignificant efforts in depicting rays of pure divinity, so be it...
Last edited by Maestral on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:tool_zoom: <<< click! - but, those with a cheaper tickets should go this way >>> :!:

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Lol, well there's a compromise!
Very nicely done, Maestral :D I love the depth you added to my av, it looks really cool that way! I'll have to try it myself.
Do you think that would reduce very well? I'm guessing that the av emblem will not be recognizable, since the overall avs can be no bigger than 50 px. But if the rest of it looks ok, I'd be honored to use it. Or maybe the Inkscape logo would work.

Kento, I would say that I have a very creative nature. I can see all kind of things in my mind, but as hard as I try, I can't draw them. Cartoons I'm particularly bad at. With Inkscape, my strength seems to lie in realism. I keep thinking that some day I'll find the artistic medium that fits, but so far my art stays mostly in my mind, lol. Lately I've been thinking of trying photography.....but I don't even have a camera yet.....

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:57 am

Hey Kento,
Good news! I was just working with the Tiled Clones dialog, and noticed the Trace tab. The last time I did anything with tiled clones, I didn't understand what that tab was for. But what I was describing in this topic is exactly what it does! Or that's what it looks like to me.....I guess I should read the manual. But it does look like it takes the clones and tiles them according to a raster image. So for example if you had a JPG portrait, or a landscape photo, it would map the clones (colored strips, as we've discussed) to the photo. Oh, I''m gonna HAVE to try that, now that I understand it better, lol!

Kento

Postby Kento » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi brynn,
Thanks for the dedication, I 've done some research & have came across your artistic visions as described by you earlier on this post. What I have seen is truly amazing particularly what can be done with this amazing tracing tool. Unfortunately I am lost as to how to begin to use this tool as an extension of my imagination. I await some enlightment on the matter from you but in your own time. Have a wonderful weekend.

brynn

Postby brynn » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:29 pm

Off topic:
Maestral, thanks for the superhero image file. I really do treasure it! I tried reducing it, but because the gloves are the same color as the cape, when it's that small (50 px) it's hard to identify exactly what it is. But I may still play around and change the color of the gloves, or cape. I would also need to replace my old avatar emblem on the suit, probably with Inkscape logo. It still may become my avatar some day :D

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:18 am

Funny, the first thing I noticed was Brynn's daisy avi, and I thought 'oh no what happened', lol. Love the cape, but if you can't see the um chest area in the avi, you're still going to come off as gender male, since most superhero's are male. I was thinking you could keep your geometric avi and overlay something feminine, like a flower, or, keep the avi and make your signature more feminine, remember in elementary school when some girly girls would dot their i's with tinee hearts, something along that order (but not that per se, for you).

For the OP, I am wondering if you could do an interpolation thing to get the many colors you want from that leaf. good luck. The rotting part of the leaf didn't do much for me, but the green part is cool, and I've always loved banana (and rubber) leaves, so big and beautiful.
dee

brynn

Postby brynn » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:40 am

Thanks for the ideas, dee :D
I have a new topic in Feedback forum. My current signature uses all the space allowed, so I can't add the old av without deleting some text. I requested extra space in the signatures, but we'll have to wait and see what microUgly says.

I like the idea of having the old av (celtic knot) as a background, with a flower in the foreground. But those avs are so darn tiny, I don't think it would work. Certainly not with the flower in the new av. But maybe a simpler flower, with fewer petals. (The max av size is 50 x 50 px!) (Signature limited to 255 characters, and images in signature less than 60 px wide)

Return to “Help with using Inkscape”