Can Inkscape do this?

Post questions on how to use or achieve an effect in Inkscape.

Can Inkscape do this?

Postby jgalak » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:45 pm

I have a specific software need, and am wondering if Inkscape can do it. Basically, I want to have clip art type objects that have predefined attributes that can be changed when the object is used. So, for example, if I have a coffee mug item, I want to be able to set two color attributes - one for the mug, and one for the liquid. When the item is used, the user would be able to change the color of either (or both).

I do not want to have the user do this by using brushes, bucket tools, etc. The users will generally be non-artists with no experience with Inkscape or drawing programs. Basically, I want them to be able to grab a pre-made library, and quickly make an image out of those items, by just cutting, pasting, scaling, moving, and setting attributes.

Ideally, the attributes could be set to pattern fills as well as to simple colors.

(for the curious, I'm thinking about a way to let people build heraldic devices out of a library - so a non-artist should be able to choose items, and place them on their shield, changing the various colors).

Is this possible in Inkscape? Or should I be looking at a CAD-type program? I know some of those allow this. If the latter, could someone recommend a good, open-source, easy-to-use 2D CAD program?

Thanks,
Juliean.
jgalak

Re: Can Inkscape do this?

Postby brynn » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Welcome Juliean!

I'm certainly not an expert on software development, or even very knowledgeable about it. But I have read of projects similar enough to this (here in the forum) to say that what you describe can probably be done with Inkscape. Will this be a web-based application, or stand-alone program?

I couldn't answer specific questions, but other members here certainly can :D
Basics:
> Help menu > Tutorials
> a Quick Guide to Inkscape
Manual:
> Inkscape: Guide to a Vector Drawing Program
Tutorials:
> Inkscape Community
Development news
> Google+
Gallery:
> Inkscape Community Gallery
brynn

Postby jgalak » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:05 pm

Not so much an application, just a library and template. I'm envisioning the user installing Inkscape, downloading the library and a template, and just using the objects from the library. I'm hoping to avoid any sort of serious coding - ideally, I'd just be able to use Inkscape as-is.
jgalak

Postby brynn » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:49 am

Do you want to make the library part of Inkscape? Or do you want Inkscape to call up the library from the hard drive? Not that I know how to do either one. But just gathering info for those who can :D
Basics:
> Help menu > Tutorials
Manual:
Tutorials:
> Inkscape Community
Development news
> Google+
Gallery:
brynn

Postby jgalak » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:20 pm

Haven't really thought that far ahead, but I envisioned it as having the users download and install Inkscape I the usual manner, then download the library, and just use it like any other clip art to make the devices. Probably also provide a template, with the outline of shield, and maybe a pre-defined color palette.
jgalak

Postby chriswww » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi and welcome,
You certainly could do that with inkscape, as that's how a lot of clipart and icons are used in inkscape. You'll need to set up the paths so they're like separate objects, e.g. the coffee cup and the liquid as two separate objects/paths. If these paths are already filled with a color, selecting them and choosing another color from the pallette with a left mouse click will change the object to the color chosen. You can also fairly easily set up a custom color palette and ask the users to download it with the template (say as a zip package etc) and put into correct directory so inkscape picks it up. In other words, you'll need to put up some instructions but, this is eminently doable in inkscape.
When I first read your question I thought you only wanted to set up the objects and template in inkscape but to be used by your own program with an embeded svg renderer. This could also be done but naturally requires programming knowledge. It would though allow you to provide a much more restricted/simpler interface than the all-powerful ;) inkscape.
chriswww

Postby brynn » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:04 am

jgalak wrote:Haven't really thought that far ahead, but I envisioned it as having the users download and install Inkscape I the usual manner, then download the library, and just use it like any other clip art to make the devices. Probably also provide a template, with the outline of shield, and maybe a pre-defined color palette.

Yes, Inkscape can do that :D
Basics:
> Help menu > Tutorials
Manual:
Tutorials:
> Inkscape Community
Development news
> Google+
Gallery: