Text filling a circle

Post questions on how to use or achieve an effect in Inkscape.
~suv

Re: Text filling a circle

Postby ~suv » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:36 am

Off-topic reply for Moini, this technical information is not relevant for regular users.

Off topic:
Moini wrote:(and also I wonder how su_v's name ended up in your Inkscape paths...)
Because that particular widget in the Inkscape preferences dialog displays the original path in $PREFIX configured at compile time for Inkscape's shared data, without resolving platform-specific runtime relocation support:
  • Source for the widget in the prefs dialog 0.91.x, 0.92.x
  • The actual define of INKSCAPE_DATADIR happens via configure.ac (0.91.x) / cmake (0.92.x), and the generated config.h header file included in many places at compile time.
The more recent (unofficial) 0.92.x builds from tghs display the data path from the build system used by tghs, obviously.

---
JFTR - back in the osxmenu branch (no longer maintained), I changed the prefs dialog to display the actual data path used at runtime with this commit.

Moini

Postby Moini » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:26 am

Thank you, V, that was very instructive. Somehow, I'm glad that developers seem to be using a separate user account on their system for building binaries :) Would be a great way to accidentally publish info that isn't supposed to be public.

Would your additional variable be a good idea to port to the current branches? I see you've even taken care of it for Windows, even though your version was intended for OS X.

(and while you're here, I'd like to grasp the opportunity: do you maybe have an idea why putting the extension into the user extensions directory didn't work for Lynn? I've covered all the options I could think of with looking into error log, permissions, broken inx file and wrong folder, ran out of ideas...)
Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

Inkscape FAQ - Learning Resources - Website with tutorials (German and English)

~suv

Postby ~suv » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:03 am

Moini wrote:Would your additional variable be a good idea to port to the current branches? I see you've even taken care of it for Windows, even though your version was intended for OS X.
  1. The current build system is legacy - personally, I'd not recommend to spend a lot of time changing minor (and not user-relevant) bits of it. If spending time, there'd certainly be other changes I'd push for first (e.g. improving relocation support for osx app bundles, without the relative path hack).
  2. The change for the other platforms was required, otherwise I would have had to add ifdef's in the prefs dialog (which I did not want to - the whole section of the prefs dialog probably needs another rework, either with a more pruned list of paths, or one that is platform- and build-specific. I definitely did not want to nor could go there at the time).
Moini wrote:(and while you're here, I'd like to grasp the opportunity: do you maybe have an idea why putting the extension into the user extensions directory didn't work for Lynn? I've covered all the options I could think of with looking into error log, permissions, broken inx file and wrong folder, ran out of ideas...)
I do not know why it failed to work for Lynn. Extensions installed (as copies, or symbolic links) into the Inkscape user profile folder (~/.config/inkscape/extensions) always worked for my, using local builds and any of (earlier and current) Inkscape packages for Mac OS X (created by myself or by other contributors like LiamW and tghs).

The provided Finder screenshot (link) lacks context and details ... I'd check for the actual location (full path), comparing file modification dates e.g. of preferences.xml, extension-errors.log (to make sure this is the correct and currently used folder). I'd also check again the content of the two extension files installed there (many users save HTML pages from GitHub instead of downloading the actual raw files (or a ZIP of the repo). A broken INX file (e.g. a HTML page) does generate warnings to the console - on OS X, those warnings can be seen in Console.app.

Moini

Postby Moini » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:19 am

Thank you very, very much, V, for taking the time to reply!
(now you got me started thinking of writing a short tutorial: 'What to do when you have a problem with an Inkscape extension' ;-) )
Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

brynn

Postby brynn » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:56 pm

Very nice!

Polygon

Postby Polygon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:44 pm

Moini wrote:Yay :D

Changing nodes of the circle to "cusp" was the crucial step for me aside from making it really a closed path - so thank you Moini for that hint - the error log didn´t tell me anything I could understand.
ANd I was able to get it to work with an ellipse. :D

ZuckerMama.png
ZuckerMama.png (114.5 KiB) Viewed 902 times

TextInEllipse.png
TextInEllipse.png (26.71 KiB) Viewed 898 times

Cheers
P.

lynnh3

Postby lynnh3 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:27 am

Thanks to everyone who has been trying to figure out what is going on....even the fact that placing the extension file where suggested not working. I have attached a screenshot of the entire path of "where it is suggested to place the file". suv mentioned wanting to see the entire path. The files are not there because they don't work there AND when they were there, I got error messages when would use "extensions/export/send to sure cuts a lot 4, but it would still open the project in SCAL4. This whole process has been a great learning experience.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 10.19.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 10.19.26 AM.png (196.29 KiB) Viewed 874 times

Polygon

Postby Polygon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:15 am

I´m not sure it´s the right path - as there is not one extension listed.
It should be:
HD/Users/Lynn/Applications/Inkscape/Contents/Resources/share/extensions->bezierenvelope.inx+bezierenvelope.py

ExtensionPath.png
ExtensionPath.png (9.38 KiB) Viewed 846 times

Cheers
P.

lynnh3

Postby lynnh3 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:48 am

The path mentioned above is where I have them placed now. I have been told what I sent in the image was the place it should have gone. That place did not work but the above path does work. Thanks, polygon
Last edited by lynnh3 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moini

Postby Moini » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:14 am

@Polygon: that's the path which is *not* suggested - as mentioned and explained above by su_v and me and in the manual. It will work, but only until you update / uninstall+install a later version. Then all your custom extensions will be lost.

Polygon

Postby Polygon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:36 am

What´s up? Either you want it working or not. If you "noodle" around the extension folder - make a back-up of your beloved "hairy" extensions at your secret place and drag it back into place later when needed. It´s a bearable procedure when you´re counting updates during the last 10 years. :mrgreen:
And who knows what Apple has in mind with its annually macOS updates? I´d say: "Don´t use a computer if you mind extra work!" :lol:

Cheers
P.

Moini

Postby Moini » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:47 am

@polygon: so it doesn't work for you, either? That would be a bug that should be investigated... There is a reason why those custom user folders exist in the first place.

Polygon

Postby Polygon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:36 pm

Didn´t say it won´t work - BUT.... see screenshot:
And I think the "Application support" folder is the common location to store user added tiles. (GIMP lives there as well.)
Path2Extension.jpg
Path2Extension.jpg (92.79 KiB) Viewed 735 times

Cheers
P.

Moini

Postby Moini » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:28 am

Interesting. The folder that works for you seems to be yet another folder - the one Lynn used had '/share/' in its path. For V and Tim Sheridan, the .config folder works.
Which folder does it display in your Inkscape preferences dialog, as the one where to put user extensions, @polygon?

So the question is now: what is different for you and Lynn? Single User system?...

Polygon

Postby Polygon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:02 am

It displays the one shown above marked as "WORKS!" for the User extensions
Inkscape extensions leads directly into the Inkscape package:
And Yes - single user Mac here.
Any chance the open_path/non-cusp path bug will be fixed?

Cheers
P.

Moini

Postby Moini » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:26 am

Ah, so the instructions themselves (use path indicated in the preferences for 'User extensions') work for you, too. That's good :) I'm not sure I can be of any further help for this very Mac-specific issue...
As for the bug/not implemented feature in the extension, I've just reported it here: https://github.com/shlomif/Bezier-Envel ... e/issues/2

~suv

Postby ~suv » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:27 am

Moini wrote:
Polygon wrote:Didn´t say it won´t work - BUT.... see screenshot:
<snipped>
And I think the "Application support" folder is the common location to store user added tiles. (GIMP lives there as well.)

Interesting. The folder that works for you seems to be yet another folder

Once again: osxmenu ≠ official package

Please do not assume that experimental builds work the same as official packages (and mention it if using an unofficial package, it helps to avoid confusion):

• The official stable Inkscape packages for OS X (past and present) use this path for the Inkscape user profile folder:

Code: Select all

~/.config/inkscape/
  • The (experimental, unstable, outdated, abandoned) osxmenu package uses this path for the Inkscape user profile folder:

Code: Select all

~/Library/Application Support/org.inkscape.Inkscape/inkscape/
Note: Post was edited to correct the full path to Inkscape user profile used by the osxmenu package (the path quoted in the original message lacked the last sub-folder 'inkscape')
Last edited by ~suv on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moini

Postby Moini » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:43 am

Yes, I had even mentioned that in my post, because I know of polygon's special version, - before my text was lost due to an uncautious click. Forgot to add it back in again... :-/ Thanks for doing so, su_v!

Polygon

Postby Polygon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:16 am

~suv wrote:Please do not assume that experimental builds work the same as official packages (and mention it if using an unofficial package, it helps to avoid confusion):

Sorry - Yes I always forget about that circumstance - but I´ll never understand the "return" to the X11/Inkscape combo. I for myself enjoy the native OSXmenu version you once put together and sure will never return to X11. (Even GIMP went native and it seems the pest to built from what Simone once told me.)
For what it´s worth I tested v0.92 r15381 on Yosemite + X11 and the bézierenvelope extension via the (hidden) ".config/Inkscape/extension folder and it works as expected - aside from that annoying bug of course.

Cheers
P.

Return to “Help with using Inkscape”