What Inkscape version allows me to make a silhouette image?

Post questions on how to use or achieve an effect in Inkscape.
theozh

Re: What Inkscape version allows me to make a silhouette image?

Postby theozh » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:11 am

OK. Please, let us know in case you find a program, which does your task in <10 sec and <4 mouse clicks on difficult images without manual rework. I really would also be interested. The internet is full of tutorials how to cut out objects from images (with GIMP, Photoshop, etc...) and it will definitely not be <10 sec and <4 mouse clicks for difficult backgrounds.
Win7/64, Inkscape 0.92.2

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:27 am

Hey, but don`t forget us!
Please, come back to tell us when you find The One!

* I was on page 1 while typing this reply. Sorry theozh ,)
:tool_zoom: <<< click! - but, those with a cheaper tickets should go this way >>> :!:

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:41 am

Affinity designer?
Though it's not even listed.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:52 am

justinbigby wrote:So, can anyone tell me, how to make a silhouette of the below Trooper image where the operation takes less than 10 seconds and 4 mouse clicks using Inkscape?
Sandtrooper.jpg

Depends on your setup.

Here, have a hatched trooper:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqsskmvoz08vx0r/trper.svg?dl=0

brynn

Postby brynn » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:13 am

I've never heard of Silhouette Studio. But just by the name of it, it sounds like it's basic function is to create these silhouettes. I've never heard of a graphics program which you can't save files or export the results. Ooh, I see. It looks like it's dedicated software for a particular cutting machine, so that's not surprising.

But there still might be a way to use SS and Inkscape for this. Go ahead and import your image and create the silhouette image with SS. Then press the PrtScr button. In case you're not familiar with it, that button makes a copy (raster) of whatever is on your screen at the time you press the key. Then you could paste that into Inkscape. Clip away the parts that you don't need (or use a raster program to crop it). Then you can trace that silhouette with Trace Bitmap. I can imagine this would produce an excellent result.

I'm not sure if the process could be done in 10 seconds, but after a little practice, it would probably go pretty fast. More than 4 clicks, but not much more. Let's see....1st click - import image into SS, #2 create the silhouette, #3 PrtScr, #4 paste into Inkscape, #5 create rectangle for clipping, #6 select image and rectangle, #6 make the clip, #7 Trace Bitmap.

I'm afraid there's no vector trace engine which can make a silhouette out of just any image. You're probably asking for magic there. None that I've heard of anyway. If there is, I would guess that it won't be free. For that storm trooper image, I would suggest "manual" tracing, for best results (using Inkscape alone, I mean).

Out of curiosity, how does SS handle the stormtrooper image?

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:24 am

Ok, refined the hatching concept now it really takes three steps
  1. import image,
  2. create raster copy,
  3. trace bitmap.

Although it's a bit resource heavy for the tracing as it can likely end up with thousands of nodes.

(On a side note the "brave ones" need to add
inkscape:collect="always"
in the beginning of the filter definition.)

Edit:
demo video

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:55 am

ps if you would attach the phoenix as we have asked, we could probably help you better. Remember, Inkscape is not an app, and it takes a lot of patience to learn it. I don't think you'll get what you want in that timeframe here. But, if you're selling the vinyl cutout, it may be well worth investing a tad bit more time and then be able to sell your design to more than one person, and sell on multiple sites. (I still like the idea of cropping in gimp, putting in inkscape pattern, then filling as black, that's just a couple of minutes, depending on your speed and expertise. If time is an issue, then you could consider raising the price of the output enough to compensate. (I also have a very small licensed business, so I understand where you are coming from). Hope you find what you are looking for. (if you do, please share, so we can all be aware, I'm also interested).
dee

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:42 pm

_____________________________________ v The very fact that you've come across this is selfexplanatory ,)))
Last edited by Maestral on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
:tool_zoom: <<< click! - but, those with a cheaper tickets should go this way >>> :!:

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:41 pm

flamingolady

Postby flamingolady » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:54 am

LOL Maestral and Lazur. hey, we tried.

Brynn. Great idea to import the SS file, that would be so easy. I wonder if anyone has developed a file convert for that extension yet, there's so many conversion pgms out there. He may not be able to do it since it's proprietary, and if one gets caught, one pays a huge fine. My friend has a cutting system (or two) that allows you to use SVG's to cut and there is no proprietary anything attached to it. These systems aren't cheap though.

As to your comment about there not being any pgm to convert vector...... well, that's why the pattern fill is so good - it can use a bunch of dif formats. I used a jpg pic of my grand niece from a cell phone. I'd have to experiment to see what else worked. I would have at least tried to import the end result of the SS file into Inkscape and tried to make a pattern of it. If that worked, could be done in way under 3 minutes.

Return to “Help with using Inkscape”