Can not the tile be converted to a path?

Post questions on how to use or achieve an effect in Inkscape.
timothyharley

Can not the tile be converted to a path?

Postby timothyharley » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:15 pm

I'm trying to use inkscape to make a chessboard with squares made up of multiple holes-so I can use a spraypaint as a stencil.
I've worked out how to use slice replicas to create even a circular grid but I can not convert them to paths that are lasercut.
I used to save the whole thing as a bitmap, then use the 'bitmap trace' function but the dots came out swing, and with 2 paths - inner and outer focus paths
Seems like both COPIES and CLONES can not be converted into paths .... is that correct?

brynn

Re: Can not the tile be converted to a path?

Postby brynn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:56 pm

I'm having a hard time imagining what you're trying to do. Chessboard with squares -- check. Multiple holes, stencil -- huh??

"slice replicas" ?? "circular grid"??

Clones can be converted to paths by breaking the clones link to its parent. If the parent or original is a vector shape, such as ellipse or rectangle, then in addition to breaking the link, you'll have to do Path menu > Object to Path.

If whatever you copied was already a path, then you don't have to do anything. If what you copied was a vector shape, it will need to be converted to a path. If it was a group, you may need to ungroup, to go through the cutter.

If what was copied or cloned was something complex, several steps might be needed to make it "cutable".

Can you provide an SVG file? That might be easier than explaining everything else.

tylerdurden

Re: Can not the tile be converted to a path?

Postby tylerdurden » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:32 am

I would simply make 9 vertical lines and 9 horizontal lines. This will make a stencil where squares are corner to corner. Using other methods will likely make many more paths for the laser to cut.

If you are making a grid stencil, yes clones will work. As Brynn notes, unlink the clones and convert all to paths.
Have a nice day.

I'm using Inkscape 0.92.2 (5c3e80d, 2017-08-06), 64 bit win8.1

The Inkscape manual has lots of helpful info! http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/

Return to “Help with using Inkscape”