Has Inkscape fixed it's ppi issue yet?

Post questions on how to use or achieve an effect in Inkscape.
Lazur

Re: Has Inkscape fixed it's ppi issue yet?

Postby Lazur » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:55 am

Well I envy affinity designer alot but apple and "non-free" programs are a no go for me at the moment.

brynn

Postby brynn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:56 pm

eDee wrote:I still plan to use InkScape and promote it as a Free alternative to Photoshop.

As mentioned a few times already, Photoshop and Inkscape are like apples and oranges -- entirely different. Inkscape creates and edits vector graphics, while Photoshop edits raster graphics (photos). While they have some overlaps (text, for example), that's where it ends. Inkscape cannot edit photos, and Photoshop cannot edit SVG files.

shawnhcorey wrote:But Inkscape is more like Illustrator.

Yes, Inkscape is more like Illustrator. But just to make the point, Inkscape is not developed as a "replacement" or "substitute", or even "alternative" for anything. Inkscape strives to stand on its own, as a fully SVG compliant vector graphics editor. I don't think even Illustrator can claim to be fully compliant?

shawnhcorey

Postby shawnhcorey » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:34 pm

brynn wrote:
eDee wrote:I don't think even Illustrator can claim to be fully compliant?

Don't know. Never used Illustrator. Always used Inkscape. ;)

Raspi

Postby Raspi » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:46 pm

brynn wrote:As mentioned a few times already, Photoshop and Inkscape are like apples and oranges -- entirely different. Inkscape creates and edits vector graphics, while Photoshop edits raster graphics (photos). While they have some overlaps (text, for example), that's where it ends. Inkscape cannot edit photos, and Photoshop cannot edit SVG files.

How do you explain that Photoshop has vector shapes, a paths tool, clipping masks, vector filters and all of PS famous Layerstyles are vector too ?
How comes you can import paths from AI into PS, use and edit them ?

And of course can Inkscape edit photos. It has raster extensions, you can use it to resize, crop, add text, etc.

Seriously, so much uninformed knee-jerk reacting, just to make a stand for your fangirl activity.
*smh*

eDee

Postby eDee » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:06 pm

[quote="brynn"][/quote]

InkScape does nearly everything Photoshop does and more. InkScape doesn't automatically create a new layer for every object and it's a bit clunky (but it's free)
InkScape opens .ai files which Photoshop doesn't and InkScape creates vector images.

No one uses Photoshop to edit photos.
Photoshop is used to create everything from brochures, to digital scrapbooking elements, to billboards, to logos.
I've created 10 foot banners in Photoshop for a national companies, along with countless logos. The problem is the resolution isn't always the best. InkScape would work better for everything Photoshop is used for.

InkScape is an alternative to Photoshop, because of all of the things PhotoShop is used for, none of which are editing images.

However I purchased Affinity Designer which is a combination of Photoshop and InkScape and is working great.

Raspi

Postby Raspi » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:39 pm

eDee wrote:No one uses Photoshop to edit photos.

No one is using PS to edit photos ???

:lol:

Is there some contest going on who can claim the most outrageous nonsense ?

What do you think all those pesky non-destructive adjustment layers are meant for ?
Or gradient maps, or clipping masks, or layermasks, or layermodes, or curves, levels and all that "rubbish" ?

:roll:

eDee

Postby eDee » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:56 pm

We've never used Photoshop to edit photos other than to clip them to size, but we can do that with any program.

I've never worked with anyone who actually edited photos using PhotoShop, there are much better programs for that. I'm not sure any of us would even know how to use it in that way.

Photoshop is used to create printables, brochures, banners, logos - things without photos. They should probably rename it so people won't get confused.

Raspi wrote:
eDee wrote:No one uses Photoshop to edit photos.

No one is using PS to edit photos ???

:lol:

Is there some contest going on who can claim the most outrageous nonsense ?

What do you think all those pesky non-destructive adjustment layers are meant for ?
Or gradient maps, or clipping masks, or layermasks, or layermodes, or curves, levels and all that "rubbish" ?

:roll:

Raspi

Postby Raspi » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:44 am

Right. So lets see:
the term photoshopping has nothing to do with the fact that all the magazines use PS do alter the appearance of models ?
Like making them thinner, or the biceps bigger with the Liquify Tool ??

Or bend their limbs into different positions with Puppet Warp ?

Or smooth their skin with Frequency Seperation ?

And you dont know that Adobe InDesign is actually the tool meant for brochures, flyers and posters ?

Wow, just wow !

You know why pros laugh at open source graphic programs ? Because it attracts all kind of amateurs.
Once you lower the threshold for getting into these programs, you also lower the skill level.
Last edited by Raspi on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

tylerdurden

Postby tylerdurden » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:46 am

Raspi wrote:Wow, just wow !

+1
Have a nice day.

I'm using Inkscape 0.92.2 (5c3e80d, 2017-08-06), 64 bit win8.1

The Inkscape manual has lots of helpful info! http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/

eDee

Postby eDee » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:51 am

InDesign can't do all the things PhotoShop can do. Not sure why anyone would use InDesign, it's rather pointless.

However Affinity Designer does everything I need, so I am switching to that.

Raspi, if you're such a fan of PhotoShop, why are you on an InkScape forum?

Raspi

Postby Raspi » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:42 am

I have an allergy against bullshit and unlike other posters in this thread, i know what im talking about.
That doesnt make me a Photoshop fan.

shawnhcorey

Postby shawnhcorey » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:43 am

Raspi wrote:Once you lower the threshold for getting into these programs, you also lower the skill level.

You raise the skill level because they can get more practice. Of course, it's up to them to actually do the practice.

Xav

Postby Xav » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:13 am

In short, the proprietary Adobe applications map to broadly equivalent FOSS applications as follows:

* Photoshop => Krita or The GIMP.
Raster (bitmap) editor. Primarily used for creating or editing raster images.

* Illustrator => Inkscape
Vector graphics editor. Primarily used for creating or editing vector graphics.

* InDesign => Scribus
Desktop publishing software. Used to combine rasters, vectors, text and shapes to produce a final layout, typically for printing.

These are three different classes of application, but there is some overlap. Photoshop (or Krita) can do some vector stuff, and could be used to lay out a brochure - but it's not the best tool for that task in general. Illustrator (or Inkscape) can do some limited manipulation of raster images, or be used to lay out a poster or flyer - but it's not the best tool for those tasks in general.

Taking a magazine as an example: the text will be written in a text editor or word processor of some sort. Raster graphics will be supplied (screenshots, photos), and edited in a raster editor. A vector editor may be used to create flourishes on the page, or for graphs, charts or even just vector clip art. Finally a desktop publisher is used to combine all the imagery, and to flow the text into boxes so that articles continue from one column to the next, and one page to another. The DTP program may also add bleed and cut marks, page numbers and so on, before the result is exported - usually as a print-ready PDF - to go to the printing press.

If you supply a Photoshop file to a commercial printer, there's a high chance that it will be placed into a DTP document for printing anyway - possibly alongside the images from dozens of other people, so that multiple jobs can be printed at once. Just because you don't see the point of InDesign, it doesn't mean that it has no point!

Unfortunately this thread has deteriorated into a verbal tennis match with no real substance, and has gone way off topic. If there are any genuine Inkscape-related questions to be asked, please raise them in another thread.
Co-creator of The Greys and Monsters, Inked - Inkscape drawn webcomics
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

eDee

Postby eDee » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:28 am

@Xav,
Krita tells me that they are Not like Photoshop, but that InkScape is like Photoshop - hence the reason I came here.
However, Krita and IncScape are used for all the things we use Photoshop for (brochure, logos, banners)
(..... as for GIMP, that is the most worthless piece of software ever developed.)

But again - I moved on to Affinity Designer.

Xav

Postby Xav » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Krita is definitely closer to Photoshop than Inkscape is - it's primarily a raster editor, after all. Saying that "Krita tells me that they are not like Photoshop" doesn't really mean much: Krita is not a company or a person, but an Open Source project. Someone claiming to represent the project, or someone on the Krita forum might have told you this, but that's just one person's statement, not the official policy of the project.

Given that you've had more than one person here - many of them experts in Inkscape - telling you that Inkscape is not like Photoshop, who are you going to believe? Just saying that Krita and Inkscape are used for all the things you use Photoshop for doesn't make them equivalent programs. You can use Microsoft Word to create a brochure if you really want to, but it doesn't make it equivalent to Photoshop in general.

Anyway I hope you get on well with Affinity Designer. I suggest that we just let this thread wither and die here, as there's no Inkscape content being added to it, and you've moved onto a different program anyway.
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

tylerdurden

Postby tylerdurden » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:46 pm

I'll add bit of Inkscape info before we move on...

Edee wrote:Affinity does one big thing that all the FOSS software didn't and that is automatically make each element/object a separate layer. That in itself is huge!

Here's Affinity:

Layers are just a way to view and organize visual elements in their foreground/background hierarchy. Inkscape does do this, and it can be seen/worked-on with the Objects dialog (similar to Corel's object manager). Like Affinity, as objects are created, they are added higher in the Z-order within a layer.

Here's Inkscape:
(Note the info in the Status bar)

Similar to Corel, no sexy little thumbnails like Ai or Affinity-D, but the functionality is there. AIUI, the Objects dialog will replace/become the Layers dialog sometime in the future.
Have a nice day.

I'm using Inkscape 0.92.2 (5c3e80d, 2017-08-06), 64 bit win8.1

The Inkscape manual has lots of helpful info! http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:46 pm

Off topic
....just to make a stand for your fangirl activity.

Huh??

"fangirl" Is that a social media thing?

It always amazes me when other people tell me what I'm thinking or feeling, or what my motivation is for something or other -- yet without ever having a personal conversation with me.
/Off topic

Raspi

Postby Raspi » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:53 pm

brynn wrote:Off topic

Huh?? /Off topic

Answer the questions, please !

Raspi wrote:How do you explain that Photoshop has vector shapes, a paths tool, clipping masks, vector filters and all of PS famous Layerstyles are vector too ?

And of course can Inkscape edit photos. It has raster extensions, you can use it to resize, crop, add text, etc.

P:S: this forum is social media

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:53 am

Raspi wrote:
brynn wrote:As mentioned a few times already, Photoshop and Inkscape are like apples and oranges -- entirely different. Inkscape creates and edits vector graphics, while Photoshop edits raster graphics (photos). While they have some overlaps (text, for example), that's where it ends. Inkscape cannot edit photos, and Photoshop cannot edit SVG files.

How do you explain that Photoshop has vector shapes, a paths tool, clipping masks, vector filters and all of PS famous Layerstyles are vector too ?

Seriously, so much uninformed knee-jerk reacting, just to make a stand for your fangirl activity.
*smh*

....just to make a stand for your fangirl activity.

Huh??

"fangirl" Is that a social media thing?

It always amazes me when other people tell me what I'm thinking or feeling, or what my motivation is for something or other -- yet without ever having a personal conversation with me.
/Off topic

Raspi wrote:

Huh?? /Off topic

Answer the questions, please !

Raspi wrote:How do you explain that Photoshop has vector shapes, a paths tool, clipping masks, vector filters and all of PS famous Layerstyles are vector too ?

P:S: this forum is social media

When someone posts a public statement intended to insult, or put me down, I get the impression that their question must have been rhetorical, and that they didn't really want an answer.

Insulting or putting each other down is not how we behave, either in this forum, or the Inkscape community. We support each other, and help each other to learn, in kind and friendly ways. If I had said something entirely wrong, I would have apologized and corrected it, as I have done on many previous occasions. But once the put-down came along, I thought you didn't really want an answer.

In this forum, contrary to facebook or twitter, we do not behave as we did in middle school or high school, forming cliques and acting like bullies, deciding who we like and who we don't like, voting only the popular (people or answers) to be included and excluding those who aren't. Bulletin board type of forums have been around loong before the term "social media" became part of our everyday vocabulary. (Well, maybe those who are old enough, realize that. Perhaps some of us are youngsters, who sadly have never known an internet without social media. ....sadly....)

Anyway, while the influence of what I consider to be the deplorable side of "social media", probably has and does leak back into the more traditional forums like bulletin board style forums; I would like to urge our little community here, to learn from our mistakes (as well as the mistakes of older and even past generations) and continue to grow and mature into the professional type of resource which I think we all want this forum to be.

Let's act like we are part of the professional community, which we know the Inkscape community to be!
Let's be kind, polite, friendly, and helpful!

Fair enough?

Lazur URH

Postby Lazur URH » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:58 am

Off topic:
Thinking of locking this topic or splitting it to the offtopic section sooner or later.

Raspi

Postby Raspi » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:07 pm

brynn wrote:Fair enough?

You dont answer the question, because you dont know the answer.
You do know that you have been caught talking nonsense, because of your irrational dislike for Adobe.

Now you stand with the back against the wall trying to not further embarass yourself.

So dont give me your wiggle finger, you are not my parent.

A moderator should be an informed and skilled person, like Moini, tylerdurden or Lazur.

Xav

Postby Xav » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:29 pm

Enough!

I nearly locked this thread the other day, and as Lazur has indicated he's thinking along the same lines, I'm doing it now.

@Raspi: in future, if you have an issue with anyone's statements regarding Inkscape, reply to them with specifics, corrections or alternative solutions, NOT with childish insults and derogatory personal attacks.

@Brynn: I know how difficult it can be to let slights and insults slide, but getting into a back-and-forth just prolongs the problem, to the detriment of the forum as a whole.
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Return to “Help with using Inkscape”