trace bitmap (Inkscape 0.92)

Post questions on how to use or achieve an effect in Inkscape.
Moini

Re: trace bitmap (Inkscape 0.92)

Postby Moini » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:24 am

Guillaume, I think you should let Inkscape developers know about the problem with that dialog. This video explains how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y7_T_tbGAM
Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

Inkscape FAQ - Learning Resources - Website with tutorials (German and English)

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:50 am

I am not sure that what I have added will satisfy your requirements for an SVG file. I imported the multipointstar.svg to 0.92.4 LPE to use as the pattern. Then I made the three items as starline.png, starrect.png, and starspiral.png. As you can see, the paths are not what is expected. Also, you have made me realize that images do not work in the LPE but work in Extensions. Let me know if you need more info from me. Oh, one question: how do you close an open query? Do you simply go to log-out as I have done?
Attachments
starspiral.PNG
starspiral.PNG (66.22 KiB) Viewed 428 times
starrect.PNG
starrect.PNG (11.01 KiB) Viewed 428 times
starline.PNG
starline.PNG (21.59 KiB) Viewed 428 times

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:23 am

When you ask to see the SVG file, which file do you mean when you say THE svg file? I have ready for you 3 PNG files that were done with a pattern called mulltipointstar.svg, on line, rectangle and spiral paths. Please let me know. Anything else? I'll try my best.

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:26 am

Oh, I see now, they did get uploaded. All right!

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:28 pm

You don't need to do anything to close a topic when you're finished. Some people like to mark the topic solved, but it's not a requirement. Personally, I see people posting in topics which are marked solved ALL the time. So it really is a waste of time, in my opinion. But if you want to mark it solved, we can tell you how. You don't need to log out.

To start a new topic, go here: viewforum.php?f=5 and click New Topic button.

When I say "the SVG file", I mean the file where you have Inkscape open and you're trying to use PAP or whatever. Save that, and upload it.

(When you have Inkscape open, you don't just have an editor. You have an actual document, and maybe even a file. If you opened Inkscape by clicking on the desktop icon, you opened a new blank document. But you could also open any SVG file with Inkscape, and then you're editing the actual file.)

Here's how to save it:
1 - File menu > Save As
2 - Type a name for the file and choose the place (folder) where you want to save it. (If you don't choose the folder to save it in, Inkscape will choose, and if you didn't notice, you'll have to search to find it. But if you choose, then you know where it is.)
3 - Save (Unless you change it, Inkscape automatically saves as SVG.)

You can try to attach it here, in the same way you attached the PNGs. If it won't attach (sometimes this site is stubborn about attachments) let us know and we can tell you other places to upload it.

The reason we need to see the SVG file, is because it has all kinds of info that we can't get from looking at the PNGs. I think this is the heart of the problems that you've been having. Inkscape is a complex program. It's not comparable to MS Paint, which is a very simple graphics program (also a raster program, while Inkscape is a vector program).

In Inkscape, when you select something with Selection tool, look at the status bar. It tells you what kind of object is selected. Pattern Along Path LPE can only use the vector shapes (rectangle, spiral, ellipse, star) and paths, for the pattern. PAP extension can use groups as well as paths. Scatter extension can use those, and also imported raster images.

I think part of your problem is that you don't realize what kind of object you're trying to use as the pattern. And when you ask us what's wrong, we don't know either, because we can't get that info from the PNG. In some cases, we can tell by looking at the PNG, what kind of object it is. And other times we can guess. But most of the time, we just don't know.

Here's a little more info for you, regarding what you said:

Guillaume wrote:3 PNG files that were done with a pattern called mulltipointstar.svg, on line, rectangle and spiral paths.

"multipointstar.svg" would be the name of a file. From the PNGs you showed, it looks like the pattern was that 12 point star object. I can't tell whether it's a path or an imported image, or exactly what kind of object it is. But with the SVG file, either one of us could select with Selection tool ( :tool_selector: ) and find out.

Return to “Help with using Inkscape”