PDF import - not for editing, just 1:1

Post questions on how to use or achieve an effect in Inkscape.
keenPenguin

PDF import - not for editing, just 1:1

Postby keenPenguin » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:23 am

Hello,

recently, I tried to create a scientific poster with Inkscape. Finally, it turned out all right (I posted it on this forum: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3622), but it was a very time-consuming effort. I used textext for the formulae, and imported all of my graphics (plots from programs like Matlab) as svg files, which was quite an overkill for my computer. So I googled for alternative solutions and stumbled upon this article:

http://gael-varoquaux.info/computers/po ... ribus.html

The author describes how he creates posters with Latex/scribus: He imports PDF files which were created with latex into scribus and drags them around there. Personally, I find this a very good approach, and I've been asking myself whether this could be done in Inkscape, too. The two great advantages (compared to inkscape) of how scribus imports the PDFs are these: 1) The pdfs are imported 1:1 and the text is not converted to paths but left alone and 2) once imported and aligned, the PDF doesn't even have to be displayed, which will take some strain from my computer.

So I've been asking myself whether there might be a way of doing the very same thing in Inkscape? It would solve all of my problems (provided that the PDF export will also work well). Combining Inkscape and Latex would be cool: Latex looks good for typesetting and formulae, whereas Inkscape makes it easy to align, add nice columns with color fades and transparency, and all of this helps to creat an eye-catcher of a poster which is hardly doable with Latex alone.

I am curious to read what you think about it.

Return to “Help with using Inkscape”