cut & paste

Post questions on how to use or achieve an effect in Inkscape.
gregoryk

cut & paste

Postby gregoryk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:03 am

Greetings!

I am a new user, and have searched the archives for an exact match to my problem. I cannot get copy and paste to work in the same window of Inkscape. I can get the "cut" function to work, but not the other two. How do they work?

Thanks,
Gregory

syllie

Re: cut & paste

Postby syllie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:19 am

Hi Gregory,

I have not heard of a similar problem before, but it certainly will help if you tell a bit more about which version of Inkscape you use, and on what platform so that others can help better. I have checked the reported bugs for Inkscape and no other user has reported similar problems. https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape

Perhaps it will also help to know that Inkscape pastes under the mousecursor. So whatever you selected when you cut, will be pasted at mouse cursor location.

Hopefully others will shed some light on this.

Cheers,
Syllie

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:04 am

Yes that would be helpful. It is on a Mac running the latest version of Snow Leopard, using Inkscape 0.47. I could not get Inkscape 0.46 to even open on my computer. I have tried to have the object paste under the mouse cursor, but nothing happens. I also checked the "undo" menu, and it did not show that anything was copied.

Gregory

brynn

Postby brynn » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:27 am

What are you trying to copy?

When I 1st started using Inkscape, I thought copy and paste was the same as with raster graphics -- whatever is selected will get copied. And that is true with full paths or objects in Inkscape. But for example, you can't select a segment of a path and expect the segment to get copied. It copies the whole path.

Also look at where you're trying to copy from and paste to. Make sure it's on the layer you intend (if you're using layers).

~suv

Postby ~suv » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:41 am

Guest wrote:It is on a Mac running the latest version of Snow Leopard, using Inkscape 0.47. I could not get Inkscape 0.46 to even open on my computer. I have tried to have the object paste under the mouse cursor, but nothing happens. I also checked the "undo" menu, and it did not show that anything was copied.

Guest wrote:I could not get Inkscape 0.46 to even open on my computer.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:26 am

I'm having this same problem. I'm experienced with various Adobe products, so I'm not imagining it.
47 version, snow leopard.
Selecting and copying as usual, but no type of Paste seems to put a copy anywhere...

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:24 am

This is working for me:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3627#p17000

alex.v

Postby alex.v » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi,

By changing the preferences on X11, as suggested on this page:
http://stefaanlippens.net/Inkscape_Gimp ... ste_issues
I managed to fix this problem for myself.

Return to “Help with using Inkscape”