[SOLVED] Mirror object about line

Post questions on how to use or achieve an effect in Inkscape.
brdparker

Re: [SOLVED] Mirror object about line

Postby brdparker » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:02 am

I found one LPE that I think might work for me (I haven't had the chance to watch it in full with sound though). Thanks for the links! TBH, it's all above my head too, so I'm just going to throw myself at the wall and see if any bricks come loose, as it were :D

bartovan

Postby bartovan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:28 pm

This has been incorporated in the 0.92 release of Inkscape: 0.92 release notes, mirror symmetry.
Demonstration video here: Mirror Simmetry LPE for Inkscape
Portfolio bartovan.com
Tumblr / Instagram / Pinterest / Facebook / Twitter / OpenClipArt
Shop at Society6 / RedBubble
Using latest stable Inkscape on Ubuntu (current stable release) and Win 7.

brdparker

Postby brdparker » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:07 am

Thank you for posting that, Bartovan. Now to upgrade and try it out!

jeko

Postby jeko » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:33 am

The LPE is great but for my use case mirroring directly along an existing line is a lot more convenient.
I heavily modified Apex's mirror extension from this thread. This version should work with all kinds of paths, primitives, bitmaps, etc. and should also work correctly if there is a transform somewhere in the SVG. Effectively it just applies a transform rather than modifying the paths directly.

edit: the extension was created by Apex and not by ~suv as I had initially written.
Attachments
mirror.zip
(2.13 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by jeko on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

brynn

Postby brynn » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:55 am

I don't understand what you mean about applying a transform rather than modifying the paths directly. By "transform" do you mean the kind of transforms on the canvas (move, scale, etc.)? Because that seems like modifying the paths directly. Or are you referring to adding a transform attribute into the XML (which it seems happens for a lot more things than just canvas transforms)? (You can tell that I'm a non-techie?)

I didn't read this entire thread. So in case someone didn't mention it before, you're welcome to upload that to the Inkscape website (under Extensions category) https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/ Actually we'd like if you did. If you don't want to register or something, we can probably upload it for you.

jeko

Postby jeko » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:46 pm

This thread is already in the list of contributed extensions. I'll upload it to the other repository later today.

Sorry, that wasn't very clear in hindsight... Apex's extension directly modifies the nodes in the paths to be mirrored, my version indeed just adds a transform attribute in the XML (using the simpletransform module). "should also work correctly if there is a transform somewhere in the SVG" also refers to such transform attributes in the XML.

edit: the extension was created by Apex and not by ~suv as I had initially written.
Last edited by jeko on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

~suv

Postby ~suv » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:29 am

jeko wrote:(...) I heavily modified ~suv's mirror extension from this thread. (...)

JFTR - I did not author the extension that was posted 6 years ago in this topic - please read the earlier comments: I simply packaged the extension authored and shared by Apex as a ZIP archive for users who failed to install it from the pasted source. Could you please adjust the docstring in your python script accordingly?

[ My own recent attempt at writing such a utility - created entirely independent of this topic and Apex's original version (I had forgotten about it) - is shared and maintained in the inx-utils repo. ]

jeko

Postby jeko » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:03 am

@ ~suv: oops, you are right. I corrected it in the ZIP and in the posts. And thanks a lot for the link to your version!

Return to “Help with using Inkscape”