How can I import a EPS file into Inkscape?

Post questions on how to use or achieve an effect in Inkscape.
Buy Fifty Shades of Grey

Re: How can I import a EPS file into Inkscape?

Postby ccw » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:37 pm

I'm new to Inkscape and I'm trying to import or open up an EPS or an ai file and I get an error message that states it failed to load requested file and then it names the file. It was my understanding that you could open up EPS and ai files in Inkscape but my files are not. Any suggestions/help?
ccw

Postby CCW » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:58 pm

I'm a new user and cannot get EPS files to open up or import into Inkscape. Please help, I get a message that states that the file failed to load and names the file.
CCW

Postby microUgly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:53 pm

Please read the first post here - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=820

And read the alternate recommendation at the bottom of that same post.
microUgly
Site Admin

Postby Matthijs » Mon May 24, 2010 7:54 pm

I faced the same problem and found this blog: http://chrisdown.wordpress.com/2007/12/ ... onversion/
Scibus works for the few things I need to convert: http://www.scribus.net/
Matthijs

Postby GadsdenGraphics » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:38 am

Just a note - you must add the Ghostscript paths to the "PATH" variable, not the "Path" variable in Windows. That hung me to for a while :]
GadsdenGraphics

Postby auduno » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:40 pm

Hi I REALLY have problems with this one.

Status installed:
VISTA OS
Inkscape 0.48
Gostscript 9.00
and also put in the linkreferences in environmentvariables systemsettings pointing to the bin and lib direktory in PATH as mentioned in this forum.

When I try to import (even tryed to open) an EPS file it seems to work out, the program goes to a dialog box "PDF import settings". Klicking OK here only makes the program continue to a white screen, NO drawing appears at all ??????

Do someone have a solution to this?

pdf import settings dialogue.JPG
This is how the dialogue looks like
pdf import settings dialogue.JPG (35.77 KiB) Viewed 8421 times
auduno

Postby druban » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:33 am

try to open a (small ) PDF. It uses the same ghostscript engine as eps. Or try to save one of your own SVG files - or even just one object created in Inkscape just for this test - as PDF or eps. If you have those options available in your save as dialog, and your object gets saved as a PDF that then opens and displays properly with Acrobat reader, then your problem is in the eps file you are trying to open.
Your mind is what you think it is.
druban

Postby ~suv » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:25 pm

druban wrote:try to open a (small ) PDF. It uses the same ghostscript engine as eps.
That's not quite true - Inkscape supports PDF natively i.e. without depending on any external tools like Ghostscript. What is happening when opening or importing an EPS file is that the file is first converted to PDF on-the-fly (using ps2pdf from Ghostscript) and then imported into Inkscape as PDF, using the internal dialog with the PDF import options.
~suv

Postby VillalpandoE » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:20 am

I'm so confused!

I used UniConvertor to convert a EPS to PDF to be able to open it and it opens but the illustration has a huge mess of black where there is suppose to be color?

I REALLY need to edit this EPS file, is there any step by step easy to follow directions for adding the extention/ghostscript or whatever I need to add to open this EPS file?
VillalpandoE

Postby brynn » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:15 am

I REALLY need to edit this EPS file, is there any step by step easy to follow directions for adding the extention/ghostscript or whatever I need to add to open this EPS file?

I'll try to write up a step-by-step tutorial, but I'm afraid it won't happen right away. This is not something I'm familiar with, so I will have to do some studying and research. So hang in there, if you can.
Basics:
> Help menu > Tutorials
> a Quick Guide to Inkscape
Manual:
> Inkscape: Guide to a Vector Drawing Program
Tutorials:
> Inkscape Community
Development news
> Google+
Gallery:
> Inkscape Community Gallery
brynn

Postby capnhud » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:31 pm

when creating the GS_PROG variable I found that in order to make sure it works for the gimp you will need for it to be

C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.00\bin\gswin32.exe

this did not work for me

C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.00\bin\

additionally in the PATH variable to make it work in inkscape I have:

C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.00\lib;C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.00\bin;
capnhud

Postby finnguest » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:12 am

I had problems with the .eps import not showing after installing ghostscript and altering path variable, and got it working by adding the ghostscript directories at the start of the path, instead of the end. I guess some other parameter in path variable was messing with inkscape.
finnguest

Rename EPS to PDF

Postby poumtatalia » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:23 am

That rename didn't work on W7+Inkscape 0.48. Shame though ;-)
Cory wrote:Hello everyone.
All you need to do is rename the .eps file to .pdf, and the conversion is done.
poumtatalia

Postby Helen » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:46 pm

I have Windows Vista and quite by accident I discovered that if you have the SnagIt screen capture software (~$50) installed on your computer when you right click on the EPS file you have the option to "Convert Image" into a number of different formats, including PDF. (As an added bonus in this conversion process you can also modify the file in a number of ways (such as inverting the colours, changing colours etc + several other SnagIt effects). You can then just drag and drop the converted PDF into Inkscape and start vector editing. Given this SnagIt feature you can also turn your PDF screen captures into editable vectors. I loved SnagIt before today and now I love it even more! (and no I don't work for TechSmith). Hope this helps. I'm by no means a techie so that is the extent of my knowledge.
Helen

Postby shinjui » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:37 pm

I have added the GhostScript path to GS_PROG in the Environment Variables.

I have added the path to the GhostScript executable, the GhostScript /bin folder, and the GhostScript /lib folder in the "Path" section of the Environment Variables.

I continue to have the recurring error in the extension-errors.log file:

Extension "Dia Input" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
type: executable
string: dia2svg.sh
description: The dia2svg.sh script should be installed with your Inkscape distribution. If you do not have it, there is likely to be something wrong with your Inkscape installation.

What is meant by PATH and Path? I have Path but not PATH in Environment Variables. Do I need to add an all-caps PATH in addition to the lower-case Path?
shinjui

Postby ~suv » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:00 pm

shinjui wrote:I continue to have the recurring error in the extension-errors.log file:

Extension "Dia Input" failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
type: executable
string: dia2svg.sh
description: The dia2svg.sh script should be installed with your Inkscape distribution. If you do not have it, there is likely to be something wrong with your Inkscape installation.
Why do you bother about 'Dia Input' when you need PostScript support (EPS Input, PS Input)? The 'Dia Input' is in no way related to importing PostScript-based file formats (PS/EPS) in Inkscape.

You can ignore the errors about 'Dia Input' unless you additionally have an urgent need to edit files created with Dia in Inkscape. Note though that importing DIA files is not (was never) supported in the Windows port of Inkscape (because on default Windows installations, shellscript-based extensions ("description: The dia2svg.sh script (…)") cannot run).
~suv

Postby mnedman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi everyone, I have read through this entire thread, and tried everything mentioned and still cannot open EPS files with inkscape.

I am using windows 7, I have freshly installed 0.48, i have installed ghostscript 9.05

I have added the two directories to my windows path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\HP SimplePass 2011\x64;C:\Program Files (x86)\HP SimplePass 2011\;;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\12.0\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files\Broadcom\Broadcom 802.11\Driver;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Services\IPT\;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\sK1 Project\UniConvertor-1.1.5\;C:\Program Files (x86)\sK1 Project\UniConvertor-1.1.5\DLLs;C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.05\lib;C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.05\bin

I have verified I can open pdf files no problem, but eps just gives me the failed to load error. I also do not have an option for eps files on the import file menu.

Please help, this has been driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance.
mnedman

Postby brynn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Failed to load error can be caused by....I don't know about 'many', but probably at least several different things. For example, if you're trying to open it via File menu > Open Recent, but you've moved the image since you last saved it. How exactly are you trying to open it? Oh, you're trying to import! Sorry. Well the same thing applies with importing, if Inkscape can't find it.

In my import dialog, I don't have EPS listed either. But I do have All Inkscape Files, All Images, All Vector, and All Bitmap. Maybe one of those would work? I guess you did not make the file originally with Inkscape? Have you tried right-clicking in the file manager, then Open With...Inkscape? I know you're not trying to open, but Inkscape will automatically try to import.

Also, once you click Open (if using import dialog), or Open With (in file manager), you'll get a tiny dialog window asking to embed or link the image. (but only after version 0.48) Are you getting that dialog? Tried both options?

Sometimes very large files are hard to, or can't be opened, especially if you have 2 GB RAM or less.

If this EPS file has been converted from some other format, it's possible that the conversion either messed with the code, or even corrupted the file. Do you have any knowledge about the origins of the file? If you created the file, you might reopen and copy to a brand new file. Maybe it somehow became corrupted?

If you're using an older version of Inkscape, you could try upgrading to current stable (0.48.2).

Beyond that, I'm pretty clueless :(
Basics:
> Help menu > Tutorials
Manual:
Tutorials:
> Inkscape Community
Development news
> Google+
Gallery:
brynn

Postby shemsargent » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:12 am

I ran into this problem with Win 7 x64, InkScape 0.48.2, and GhostScript 9.05. The above solution regarding changing the .bat file reference from 32 to 64 appears to have been fixed by the GhostScript developers already in version 9.05, so that was not my problem. I tested the batch files directly and found the solution to my problem: the Path must contain trailing backslashes as below. For some reason, the system could find the .bat files in lib without the backslashes, but it could not find the .exe program in bin without it.

{snip};C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.05\bin\;C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.05\lib\
shemsargent

Postby mnedman » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:33 pm

Guys thanks for all your help so far, but the solutions proposed have still not helped...still getting the failed to load error on every EPS file I try to open.

Any other ideas of how to fix this?
mnedman

Postby bayrent88 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:50 am

I'm having an issue with this.

I have the "lib" and "bin" files in the correct location, but when I go to import a .eps file i get an error. "pstopdf failed" why is this?
bayrent88

Postby brynn » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:13 pm

Wasn't that answered in this topic already? I don't mean to sound rude -- I'm really not sure if it was answered, since I've only skimmed reading through. Also, what about the other solutions discussed -- any luck with them?
Basics:
> Help menu > Tutorials
Manual:
Tutorials:
> Inkscape Community
Development news
> Google+
Gallery:
brynn

Postby bayrent88 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:51 pm

The question was asked, but not answered.
bayrent88

Postby MS Espinoza » Wed May 07, 2014 7:11 pm

I have followed the instructions up to the letter, but I still can't import .eps files into Inkscape 0.48. I'm using Windows 8 x64, along with GhostScript 9.14

I have already set the path like this:
    [other variables];C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.14\lib;C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.14\bin

and I also tried
    [other variables];C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.14\lib\;C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.14\bin\

And still nothing. I can't import .eps files into Inkscape.

I did find another topic in this forum viewtopic.php?f=29&t=16327&p=63863#p63863, which points to this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/858341

If I go to the command prompt and I type

Code: Select all
ps2pdf myepsfile.eps newpdffile.pdf

I DO get the .pdf file I would expect, but I'm still unable to import the .eps directly from Inkscape (neither by drag and drop nor by file/import)

Could someone please help?
MS Espinoza

Postby Morlince » Fri May 23, 2014 2:33 am

I know this is an old thread, and MS Espinoza you might just be lucky that I had the same issue came here and was able to resolve it...

I had this same problem, could not import.

I am using the latest inkscape, Inkscape 0.48.4 r9939, GS 9.14, and win 8 update 1 64bit.

Just to make sure you are doing this right I will go through the initial steps assuming GS is installed already. There are other ways to get to the menus I'm describing, but this is the way I'm going through it.

1. Hover mouse over windows 8 logo on bottom left of screen.
    2. Right click, then click on Control Panel
    3. Double click on System
    4. In the left frame of the window that pops up click on 'Advanced System Settings'
    5. Click on the 'Environment Variables' in the bottom right.
    6. In the window that pops up, the bottom panel is for system variables, you want to edit the Path there, not under user variables. It may work with user variables, but why not make the changes system wide.
    7. I added this to the end of my PATH variable,
    Code: Select all
     C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.14\lib;C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.14\bin;
    there was a semi-colon ; already at the end before I started typing, thus I kept one at the end of my additions. This may or may not be the key...
    8. At this point I tried it without restarting Inkscape, but it didnt work. So I restarted the application.
    9. Tried opening a .eps and it worked first time.

Is that how you went about it? I hope I helped, if not, you might try uninstalling and reinstalling GS and possibly Inkscape, but I dont see why inkscape would be causing your issue.

Are you getting any errors? Did you install GS as administrator, or is your user a local admin? Can you post logs from inkscape if you are still having issues?

If you had already gotten it fixed before now, hopefully someone, sometime down the road will benefit from this.

- /\\/\\orlince
Morlince

PreviousNext

Return to Help with using Inkscape