How do I open/save this filetype?

Post questions on how to use or achieve an effect in Inkscape.
JonathanTheMaker

Re: How do I open/save this filetype?

Postby JonathanTheMaker » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:54 am

Hello! Im a newbie and i need to save a file as .eps, but it gives me an error when i open it (it says i just can open it). i get a viewer and i can see it, but the picture looks horrible.

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:35 am

Oh dear!
I referred you here to find the instructions for finding the name of the program which you need, which will allow you to open the EPS file. The very first message in this topic gives the instructions.

BlueCatShip

Postby BlueCatShip » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:15 pm

This is probably a lazy RTFM question, but...

Can Inkscape import/open or export/save .FH11 Freehand files or .AI Illustrator files? I have a *lot* of old .FH11 (and .FH8, .FH9, .FH10) files I'd like to be able to properly import and use. I have some .AI files I'd like to use too.

I have been trying to "rescue" old files via Save As SVG from my (registered and legitimately purchased!) AI CS4, so that I can still use them in Inkscape. (AI is very bad about importing FH files, even though they own it now.)

I either wind up with ultimately unusable files, or I export every old file I can salvage into SVG. If I should somehow become rich and famous sooner or later, so that I can once again afford a suite over $1K to upgrade, then perhaps I'm a little better off. However, that is really not likely in my immediate future.

I really need to be able to salvage my old work, both for past/current projects and for personal projects. I wamt to move to Inkscape fully, eventually, as soon as I can get proficient, and certainly so I can be ready when a new version is finally released.

Advice is welcome. Heck, advice on alternative ways to rescue those old files, if not in Inkscape, would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

(Yes, I have been kicking myself for months now that I never anticipated Illustrator would not fully import Freehand files, or that I might have vector source files orphaned without a program to read and convert them into usable vector art. Yes, I should've migrated to AI long ago, but I was an FH user from way back, and FH was in the suite for a long time, then dropped, without me being smart enough to know AI does not fully or properly import FH source files. Very, very bad; very discouraging for work and personal that I want to keep available for reuse, at least. Too frustrated for words to convey. -- And now needing to devote time to learn Inkscape as one of few alternatives my budget can handle, as opposed to truly massive upgrade fees. -- Not meant to bash anyone, but for a while there, I was pretty much going to be out of commission, so you might understand my dilemma. I'm just now where I can salvage some basic things better. Still nowhere near what I'd consider proficient, certainly not at my prior level, with either AI or Inkscape. -- And I *like* that with SVG and Inkscape, there's a way to get at the information. I've seen really amazing results done with Inkscape. I want to be that good...or at least as good as I was with Freehand....)

Sorry, venting, but aarrgh, the pain in the neck it is to have files that were once easy to open, now partially or totally unusable, and trying to salvage things, and trying to learn skills I *knew* in another program.... :: head-explodey :: LOL, yes, venting, sorry. I'll be good. Well, I'll be a little better. ;)

BlueCatShip

Postby BlueCatShip » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:26 am

Ouch! I just discovered that when AI saves a file as SVG, it only saves one artboard, not all of them. So if you have multiple pages (artboards) in an Illustrator file (or Freehand file imported into Illustrator) you must ~somehow~ export each arboard (page) separately. -- I *think* it defaults to export the ~current~ artboard (page) but I'm not sure which it automatically chooses...just not always the first or top-left one. This means...I get to go in and re-export any and all files I'd already done, one artboard at a time. Ow, ow, ow, ow! :headdesk: :brickwall:

Oh, what I wouldn't do to have an automatic import in Inkscape of .ai and .fh* files! I really hope that's somewhere on the wish list for future upgrades. Pretty please?

(And yes, what I really need to do is sit down with the Inkscape manual from Tavmjong Bah or someone, and work through it.)

It's gonna be a long couple of weeks or so....

Looking forward to when I can quit whining and complaining....

However, my command of new and colorful turns of phrase is improving.... ;)

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:58 pm

I would guess that you should be able to import these files, but they might not necessarily be editable as vector files. There are probably multiple topics on opening AI files, which you should be able to search out quite easily (this is one of them).

My best guess would be to try saving them as PDF (from those respective programs, rather than file conversion using 3rd party app) and then open the PDF with Inkscape. But the advice in this topic should be taken as much more informed and proper than mine.

smartroad

Postby smartroad » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:54 pm

More out of interest, can Inkscape open (don't need to save) Techsofts 2D Design files (DTD)? Been searching on the net and here but have yet to identify a solution.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:16 am

Welcome to the forum!

If you'll go waaayy back up to the very first message, it will tell you how to find out what other program(s) might be needed to be able to open a particular file type. If you don't get any new entries into the error log, after you try to open one of those files, I would say that Inkscape probably can't open it. Chances are better for an import, but likely won't be editable as a vector. I actually don't know if that's even a vector format or not?

Oh ok. After a quick search, I see that DTD is indeed vector related.... or at least XML related. Have you tried it?

bassman20

Postby bassman20 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:02 pm

Looks like this person above is copying an older post (first page) and inserting some questionable links like they did on my thread. Thanks for the heads-up on my thread Rastian.

susu11

Postby susu11 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:17 am

I think you can save as a JPEG right from the Inkscape window, but I'm not positive. Try File > Save As > type your filename with the .jpeg extension. And before you click Save, choose "Guess from extension" from the drop-down. If it doesn't work, you can go back to your previous routine

paul59539

Postby paul59539 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:40 pm

I think it's not possible to export to jpg directly. What i am doing is first save it to png then convert it using other software, cause one of the benefit of png is that it supports transparency.

davidhan

Postby davidhan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:35 pm

Hello every body.
I running version 0.48.2 on windows 7 64 bits and I would need to open AI files (old version 8 max) (which doesn't work now) add some attributes (notes) and resave then as AI files again. Any suggestions?

Lehmann Bach

Postby Lehmann Bach » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:27 pm

I have the same problem with you,am looking for a solution.

Janne

Postby Janne » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:48 am

I had an AI-file which I wanted to open with Inkscape but without luck.
I found out that if I right-clicked the .ai , went to "properties" and set Inkscape to open the file, the file icon would change to Inkscapes and Inkscape had no problems opening the file, which I was able to work without problems. I don't know if this will be a help for some of you out there :)

masare

Postby masare » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:45 am

HI, HOW CAN I OPEN CDR FILES AND CAN I SAVE FILES AS CDR?

ragstian

Postby ragstian » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:04 am

Hi.

Easiest way; Zamzar

Another way; Hubpages.

Third way, use uniconvertor

Good Luck
RGDS
Ragnar
Good Luck!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
RGDS
Ragnar

Micklest

Postby Micklest » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:29 am

Windows 7, Inkscape 0.91
So basically, Inkscape does not open: .ai, or .eps files. I tried to download and install Ghostscript and that doesn't seem to have done a thing. I tried to convert an .ai file in Adobe Reader and that didn't work. I tried, per one suggestion, to simply change the file exension to .pdf and that did nothing.
I tried to find the suggested whatever it was in Explorer per the parameters mentioned and that turned up empty.
So basically, Inkscape does not handle these kinds of files, right?
I tried to read that free manual and it is a little too jargon-ish for me.
I understand that some of you can do this in your sleep. I'm out of time and patience, so I just won't try to work on these types of files.
Unless you have a guaranteed, clear suggestion. I keep reading that Inkscape does handle certain file types or that they can be "easily converted," and those statements just don't hold up.

tylerdurden

Postby tylerdurden » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:50 am

Micklest wrote:So basically, Inkscape does not open: .ai, or .eps files.
So basically, Inkscape does not handle these kinds of files, right?
I keep reading that Inkscape does handle certain file types or that they can be "easily converted," and those statements just don't hold up.

Whatsapp logo in .ai format. Youtube corporate cutsheet in .eps.
2015-04-15_12-54-03.png
2015-04-15_12-54-03.png (108.15 KiB) Viewed 6325 times

No gimmicks... downloaded from original sources.
http://media.whatsapp.com/logos/Vector/logo-symbol.ai
http://www.youtube.com/yt/brand/media/i ... go-web.eps
Have a nice day.

I'm using 0.92 64 bit win8.1

The tutorials in the Inkscape Help menu are fun and the best place to start.

Most other answers are in the Inkscape Manual! :-)
http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/index.html

Edelune

Postby Edelune » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:30 pm

Very useful site, thanks everyone, glad to be a member

noface0711

Postby noface0711 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:15 pm

I have downloaded and installed pstoeditsetup_x64.exe.

I am still unable to save as .ai files. Please advise.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:52 pm

You'll need to install Adobe Illustrator if you want to save a file as AI, since AI is the native format for Illustrator.

Moini

Postby Moini » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:46 am

Inkscape doesn't save to AI anymore, this functionality has been dropped.

I'm copying an older 'answer' from the answers section over here:

Citing from the manual (http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL ... port-Other):

"File types supported (a * indicates the author has not tested the file export):
- .ai (Adobe Illustrator). Inkscape v0.46 and earlier supported export to the Adobe Illustrator version 8.0 file format which is a modified form of the EPS level 2 format. This support has been removed since Adobe Illustrator versions 10 (2001) and later can directly import SVG files. This is a better solution as the quality of the AI export was poor. "

There is also a weird trick, I don't know if it works:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=811

So: save as SVG. For further hints, see the first link in this answer.
Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

Inkscape FAQ - Learning Resources - Website with tutorials (German and English)

noface0711

Postby noface0711 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:57 am

I have downloaded and installed pstoeditsetup_x64.exe.

I am still unable to save as .ai files. Please advise.

brynn

Postby brynn » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:01 am

Maybe you could try installing an older version of Inkscape, when it did offer Save As AI?

Moini

Postby Moini » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:06 am

Save as SVG. Illustrator is supposed to be able to open SVG files. Or save to pdf, that will work, too.
Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

Inkscape FAQ - Learning Resources - Website with tutorials (German and English)

noface0711

Postby noface0711 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:44 pm

Can you recommend any open-source SVG software that saves in .ai format, or conversion tools that will allow me to convert Inkscape files to a format that Adobe Illustrator is capable of reading?

Return to “Help with using Inkscape”