Creating PDF in Inkscape

Post questions on how to use or achieve an effect in Inkscape.

Creating PDF in Inkscape

Postby usedtoberoche » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:24 am

Let ms start by saying I love Inkscape - however I am quite new to this so I am still learning so if I am being a bit of a twit here = please forgive me.

I have created an SVG image and saved it - it looks fantastic. However - if I save it as a PDF one of the graphics (its a little heart I made which was imported as a PNG file made in GIMP with a transparent background) becomes messed up when I reopen the pdf in inkscape . If I open it in PDF format it looks OK but we are sending this offsite and they then import it into illustrator where it also goes wrong.

What happens is when I open the PDF - thumbnail it shows me is all black except for this one little heart .. and then when the pdf opens - it has the rest of the image OK image OK but this one little hear appears upside down. on Closer inspection - its seems to have greated a group of these little hearts and if I ungroup the heart - it then shows a full page of these little buggers the same size as the rest of the image - all upside down!!

I have attached the pdf file below so you can see.

Can anyone help me - would really appreciate!

Once again apols if this is something I have done wrong.

Claire
Attachments
whitequeen2.jpg
whitequeen2.jpg (63.57 KiB) Viewed 829 times
usedtoberoche

Re: Creating PDF in Inkscape

Postby druban » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:49 am

Hi. Your PDF is not attached. Can you post the SVG? Probably more useful.
Those who have not read Animal Farm are condemned to relive it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
druban

Postby usedtoberoche » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:05 am

usedtoberoche

Postby usedtoberoche » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:12 am

ALso - I have send the chap working with the file - the SVG file - so hopefully he can work from that - even though thatyhave always asked for PDF files.
usedtoberoche

Postby druban » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:43 am

Hi. I worked with your svg and then exported a pdf from it that displays properly in Acrobat reader as well as in Inkscape. However the forum will not let me upload it at 306 kb so message me if you want me to email it to you. The roses look fine in the pdf but I must say if this is a beer bottle they will be very very small on the label...!
Last edited by druban on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
druban

Postby Simarilius » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:46 am

Exports fine in both 0.48 and trunk here, not sure whats causing your issue.

Put the pdf on my site if that helps at : http://www.simarilius.webspace.virginme ... queen2.pdf

let me know when you have it and I'll remove it.
Simarilius

Postby usedtoberoche » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:52 am

Hi

Thanks for that - mine looks OK in PDF too - its what happens when you try to load that PDF back into Inkscape that is concerning me. Did you try that?

Its for a pump clip! And the heart will be small - but its meant to be!

Thanks

Claire

Claire
usedtoberoche

Postby druban » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:54 am

Displays fine when loaded back!
druban

Postby usedtoberoche » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:04 am

I just copied SImarilus - and it was just fine thanks you!!!!!!

Can I ask what settings you used when you saved the PDF off from the SVG file

When I do and then reopen in inkscape - I get the following(screen prints attached)
Attachments
openingpdf.JPG
openingpdf.JPG (36.1 KiB) Viewed 788 times
usedtoberoche

Postby usedtoberoche » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:06 am

... and then the image ops like this with the heart upside.

Thanks for giving a file that works - but now I am tryin to understand what I did wrong so I can get it right next time.

Claire
Attachments
pdf upsideheart.JPG
pdf upsideheart.JPG (56.27 KiB) Viewed 780 times
usedtoberoche

Postby ~suv » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:44 am

usedtoberoche wrote:Thanks for giving a file that works - but now I am tryin to understand what I did wrong so I can get it right next time.

As far as I can tell (after some tests with different Inkscape versions - 0.48.0, 0.48.1 and a current build from the development branch - which all use different versions of libraries responsible for the export to PDF), it seems to utterly depend on which cairo version was used when exporting to PDF (1.8.8 - the one from Inkscape 0.48.0 on Windows - and 1.8.10 - used with Inkscape 0.48.0 on Mac OS X - create PDFs which are imported with the image upside-down, PDFs created with later versions of the cairo library - 1.10.0 used by simarilius (on linux, I guess), and 1.10.2 - used with my local tests on Mac OS X - open without that glitch in Inkscape).

Since with Inkscape's Windows ports you have to use what you get (bundled with the installer), you don't have much options… except to wait for Inkscape 0.48.2 (0.48.1 will ship with the old cairo version, because newer ones cause other problems with elements in the GUI missing…) [1].

Sorry if this was too technical as an answer - in short: it's not something that you are doing wrong - it depends which Inkscape version on which OS you use.

[1] druban uses a development snapshot on Windows IIRC, but I don't know which revision works for him (doing both the export and re-import of the "original" SVG file)…
~suv

Postby usedtoberoche » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:57 am

Thanks - I understood that answer ; and what the issue is now - not me!

In the meantime until 0.48.2 comes out - I'll have to hang out round here and hope someone who isnt running Windows can take pity on me!!

Thanks for all your help.

Claire
usedtoberoche

Postby druban » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:30 pm

usedtoberoche wrote:Thanks - I understood that answer ; and what the issue is now - not me!

In the meantime until 0.48.2 comes out - I'll have to hang out round here and hope someone who isnt running Windows can take pity on me!!

Thanks for all your help.

Claire

I guess in all the confusion I never asked - what OS are you on and version of Inkscape are you using? I am on windows xp and using Inkscape 0.48+devel r10057. The file opened, exported, reopened and displayed without any problems. I noted that the image has a transform attribute of (1,-1) but displays right side up. This might be the source of various subsequent problems on other setups.
druban

Return to Help with using Inkscape