Inkscape Tutorial in Full Circle Magazine

Share your Inkscape tricks and tutorials here.
Xav

Re: Inkscape Tutorial in Full Circle Magazine

Postby Xav » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:00 am

Full Circle Magazine #106 is out now, with part 46 of my series. This instalment continues with the LPE dialog, covering Pattern Along Path, Ruler, Sketch and Stitch Sub-paths LPEs, with a brief mention of the VonKoch LPE for good measure.
Co-creator of The Greys and Monsters, Inked - Inkscape drawn webcomics
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Xav

Postby Xav » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:09 pm

Full Circle Magazine #107 is out now, with part 47 of my series, finishing by exploration of LPEs by looking at the Power Stroke and Clone Original Path effects.

As an aside, this article represents 4 years of writing these articles (there was a "Part 0" prequel article) - not bad considering I had only planned to write 5 or 6 of them!
Last edited by Xav on Sun May 01, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Moini

Postby Moini » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:04 am

Congrats :D

It's a pity Full Circle translations aren't done so often any more... Do you happen to know if any of your articles have been translated to German, Xav?
Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

Inkscape FAQ - Learning Resources - Website with tutorials (German and English)

Xav

Postby Xav » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:00 pm

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there have been any German translations of FCM for a long time:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMagazine/ ... FullCircle

If anyone's interested in translating just the Inkscape articles, I'm happy to help as best I can - for example, I sent my original odt, svg and png files to a guy who was working on Arabic translations, a while back. Of course I'll also point out that I'm also always looking for translators for my Greys comics ;)
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Moini

Postby Moini » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:52 am

:) Thanks for your answer, Xav! If only I had the time... I was merely hoping that I could link to them when someone needs an explanation of something in German. Btw. as your profile info says you're living in the UK: Inkscape developers will be at LGM (London) and at the Hackfest in Leeds in April. Just in case you'd like to meet them or give some feedback ;)
Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

Xav

Postby Xav » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:20 am

Moini wrote:Btw. as your profile info says you're living in the UK: Inkscape developers will be at LGM (London) and at the Hackfest in Leeds in April. Just in case you'd like to meet them or give some feedback ;)

I had contemplated going to LGM, but as it would take me about 2.5 hours to get there (and then the same to get home) it wouldn't be practical to go for each day of the event. I could, perhaps, go down for one of the days, but I need to check the schedules to see which would be best.

Unfortunately the company I worked for closed down a few weeks back, so I'm currently out of work - meaning that the train fare to get down there would be a concern, too :(

(If anyone knows of a job in the Buckinghamshire area for a web developer and part-time comic writer with some Inkscape skills, please send me a PM ;) )
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Moini

Postby Moini » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:01 am

I wish you luck, Xav! (I'm in a similar position, only with less web development skills...)

Xav

Postby Xav » Sun May 01, 2016 8:27 pm

Full Circle Magazine #108 is out now, with part 48 of my series, starting an exploration of filters. In this instalment I introduce the filter editor, then use the Gaussian Blur, Offset and Merge primitives to create a basic drop shadow.
Last edited by Xav on Tue May 03, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

styxlawyer

Postby styxlawyer » Mon May 02, 2016 1:40 am

That link points to Issue #107! Try this:

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-108/

Moini

Postby Moini » Mon May 02, 2016 3:10 am

Thanks, Xav - I've got a big knowledge gap about filters, and your article was really easy to follow. Looking forward to the next part!

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Mon May 02, 2016 5:14 am

smattering of bitmap magic on your vector objects

Curious, what would that be?

Xav

Postby Xav » Tue May 03, 2016 5:13 pm

styxlawyer wrote:That link points to Issue #107! Try this:

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-108/

Grrr... I had a bit of a moment when posting this time. First I ended up accidentally editing the #107 link (that I'd intended to copy and paste), then after putting that right it seems that I mucked up with the #108 link too! I think my internet driving license should probably be revoked. I've fixed the link now, thanks for pointing out my incompetence ;)

Lazur URH wrote:
smattering of bitmap magic on your vector objects

Curious, what would that be?

It was just a florid term to refer to filters - i.e. the sentence could be rewritten as "next time we'll show you how to create some other effects that wouldn't be possible without filters" - but it wouldn't sound quite as exciting!

(In practice, I've now written the next instalment and found that I wasn't able to cover as many additional primitives as I'd expected - so the "smattering of bitmap magic" just means "the Colour Matrix filter primitive")
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Xav

Postby Xav » Sun May 29, 2016 2:03 am

Full Circle Magazine #109 is out now, with part 49 of my series, looking at the Color Matrix primitive to change the opacity and colour of the basic drop shadow I introduced last time.
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sun May 29, 2016 6:04 am

Wow that wasn't so straightforward for a coloured-semi transparent drop shadow.

I would have gone
flood fill-composite in-blur-offset-composite over.
That way the colour with the alpha could be set in one go.

If the original intention was to lower the opacity of the drop shadow, then instead of the merge, I would use composite in arithmetic mode.

For a similar shade to the source, then would use the colormatrix to lower all r,g,b values with the same amount. Never got that fancy to change all values by random.

Moini

Postby Moini » Sun May 29, 2016 7:39 am

Thanks, Xav!

Now I have one question: Does it really work to change the color of the drop shadow when the source is the alpha channel of the object? For me, in Inkscape 0.91, there is no observable change. It works if the object itself is used as source, though.

In Firefox however, both are rendered correctly... Did anyone of you encounter this issue?

Xav

Postby Xav » Tue May 31, 2016 8:59 pm

Lazur URH wrote:Wow that wasn't so straightforward for a coloured-semi transparent drop shadow.

I would have gone
flood fill-composite in-blur-offset-composite over.

You forget that the intention isn't to produce the best or most straightforward drop shadow, it's to introduce the reader to the capabilities of the filter primitives in small steps. The real purpose of this instalment was to introduce the Color Matrix primitive - it just made more sense to build on the drop shadow from last time, rather than start with a different image or filter chain.

The Composite primitive is coming next month, I just finished writing the article this morning.

Moini wrote:Does it really work to change the color of the drop shadow when the source is the alpha channel of the object? For me, in Inkscape 0.91, there is no observable change. It works if the object itself is used as source, though.

You're right! I'm still using 0.48 as my daily driver (that space bar panning madness in 0.91 is just too much for me), so didn't notice this problem. I suspect it's a bug in Inkscape, as my maths says that adding a fixed offset for R, G or B via the Colour Matrix should definitely turn those black pixels into something else, as it did in 0.48 and apparently does in Firefox. I wouldn't rule out some misunderstanding on my part, though.
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Moini

Postby Moini » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:43 am

I've now found it, it's a known regression: https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/897236 :-/

Xav

Postby Xav » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:52 am

Full Circle Magazine #110 is out now, with part 50 of my series (mis-titled as Part 49 in the magazine), looking at the Composite filter primitive and using it to create a "stacked shadow" effect.

There's also a note about the trials and tribulations of the forum based on the best information I had at the time of the magazine deadline, but events have moved on somewhat since then so please don't read too much into it. There will be a retraction and update in the next edition.
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Xav

Postby Xav » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:53 am

Full Circle Magazine #111 is out now, with part 51 of my series, looking at the Flood and Turbulence filter primitives.
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Xav

Postby Xav » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:09 am

Full Circle Magazine #112 is out now, with part 52 of my series, looking at the Image and Morphology filter primitives.
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:38 am

Quite hackish with the image filter editing in the xml editor.

However I have some notes.

There is a serious bug regarding that filter primitive -if you choose the object as an input which the filter is applied on, you will witness a sudden crash.
No warning, no emergency save, only work lost.

Other than that the filter works "fine" in 0.91 with the svg element input. You can select anything but the object the filter is applied on,
the only problem is that the origins are messed up big time.
The svg element is pulled in from its top left corner or more like the page's top left corner, and, is placed in from the filtered area's top left corner. Somehow the flipped coordinate system is broken on this one.
That means you have to keep the source svg element at the top left corner of the page, and for practical reasons set a filtered area exactly the same size as the unfiltered object...
Or you would need to add offset filter primitives and try tweaking the settings for an exact match.

My presonal opinion it is silly to use a filter to just stretch a viewbox of an object to a certain area that way.
Instead it's great potential is to have its input for other filter primitives, that you couldn't generate otherwise.
Like it would be a bit more complicated to draw such a "concentric waves".

Tile primitive would also be great if it worked, because then you could make a repeating fill.
Could generate a grid or just equally spaced vertical lines as now to generate such there is only the turbulance which is too random for that.

Xav

Postby Xav » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:16 pm

You're right about the filter in 0.91 with SVG input elements - I hadn't realised it was pulling in from the top left corner of the page. Unfortunately that would seem to make it a lot less useful than if it pulled from the top left corner of the bounding box of the object you've selected.

I wasn't trying to suggest that the Image filter was a good way to stretch the viewbox of an object, but rather just presenting the options for positioning and scaling the image within the filter that are available in SVG in general, but (unfortunately) not readily exposed in Inkscape. You're right that it's best used as an input to other filter primitives... but I haven't covered those primitives yet, and I have to start somewhere!
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:25 am

Bit related -recently made this one with image & compositing primitives. The rendering gap issue can be solved by filtering/compositing only, although it is way too complicated for practical use.

Xav

Postby Xav » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:24 pm

Full Circle Magazine #113 is out, with part 53 of my series. This time there's more on filters: speeding up rendering, and the Displacement Map primitive.
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Xav

Postby Xav » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:16 pm

Full Circle Magazine #114 is out, with part 54 of my series. Yet more on filters: this time it's the Convolve Matrix primitive.
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Return to “Tricks & Tutorials”