Create a Logo Using Circular Grids

Share your Inkscape tricks and tutorials here.
iconocracia
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:12 am

Create a Logo Using Circular Grids

Postby iconocracia » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:23 am

This is my first tutorial: How to create an optical illusion logo using circular grids.
Enjoy!

http://emergentdesigner.com/inkscape-logo-tutorial/
Attachments
woolmark-logo-inkscape_tutorial.png
woolmark-logo-inkscape_tutorial.png (110.01 KiB) Viewed 1089 times

User avatar
brynn
Posts: 9602
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:34 pm
Location: western USA
Contact:

Re: Create a Logo Using Circular Grids

Postby brynn » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:39 am

I suggest not using the Eraser tool. I often can't get it to work properly. I would suggest other booleans to remove the overlaps. For example, a duplicate of a crescent could be used to Difference the overlap away, or maybe Cut Path instead.

v1nce
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:36 am

Re: Create a Logo Using Circular Grids

Postby v1nce » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:33 pm

I don't know if this qualifies as optical illusion but it's nice anyway

tylerdurden
Posts: 1815
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:04 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Create a Logo Using Circular Grids

Postby tylerdurden » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Have a nice day.

I'm using Inkscape 0.92.2 (5c3e80d, 2017-08-06), 64 bit win8.1

The Inkscape manual has lots of helpful info! http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/

iconocracia
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:12 am

Re: Create a Logo Using Circular Grids

Postby iconocracia » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:08 am

brynn wrote:I suggest not using the Eraser tool. I often can't get it to work properly. I would suggest other booleans to remove the overlaps. For example, a duplicate of a crescent could be used to Difference the overlap away, or maybe Cut Path instead.


Thanks,that's a good idea. In this case, I had no problems with the eraser tool, but it is the very first time I've used it successfully, so... I will try that though.

iconocracia
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:12 am

Re: Create a Logo Using Circular Grids

Postby iconocracia » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:39 am

v1nce wrote:I don't know if this qualifies as optical illusion but it's nice anyway


Know what you mean. I say "optical illusion" because Franco Grignani, the original designer, was a pioneer of that aesthetic in commercial logo design. Some of this other stuff was truly illusion. Cheers!

Lazur
Posts: 4415
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:38 am

Re: Create a Logo Using Circular Grids

Postby Lazur » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:57 am

Speaking of optical illusions may worth mentioning the rendering issue present in the final image.
Double edges better be eliminated or the background shows through in that 0 wide gap due to anti-aliasing.

There are "several ways to skin the cat".

iconocracia
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:12 am

Re: Create a Logo Using Circular Grids

Postby iconocracia » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:13 am

Lazur wrote:Speaking of optical illusions may worth mentioning the rendering issue present in the final image.
Double edges better be eliminated or the background shows through in that 0 wide gap due to anti-aliasing.

There are "several ways to skin the cat".


I thought there was something weird there. I'll try that. Thanks.

User avatar
brynn
Posts: 9602
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:34 pm
Location: western USA
Contact:

Re: Create a Logo Using Circular Grids

Postby brynn » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:14 pm

Just adding a stroke is an easy way to take care of that gap. But as Lazur said, there are a few ways to deal with it -- if it's a problem.

For myself, I would probably union everything together.

iconocracia
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:12 am

Re: Create a Logo Using Circular Grids

Postby iconocracia » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:54 pm

brynn wrote:Just adding a stroke is an easy way to take care of that gap. But as Lazur said, there are a few ways to deal with it -- if it's a problem.

For myself, I would probably union everything together.


That's it. I'll have to add that final step to the tutorial. Thanks a bunch.

Lazur
Posts: 4415
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:38 am

Re: Create a Logo Using Circular Grids

Postby Lazur » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:37 am

Continuing the nit-picking, if you union the paths as how they are now, there will be slight "bumps", incosistency in the width of the outer "stroke" of the grid.
If the two circles were the same of the inner and outer edges, it'd be cleaner looking (if possible).

conormcg
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Create a Logo Using Circular Grids

Postby conormcg » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:17 pm

This is almost an optical illusion!


Return to “Tricks & Tutorials”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest