screencasters.heathenx.org (Video tutorials)

Share your Inkscape tricks and tutorials here.
ryanlerch

Re: screencasters.heathenx.org

Postby ryanlerch » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:03 am

i have another comment on your site too:

it would be nice to have html anchors to each of the headings of each tutorial...

just for linking purposes, because i dont want to send someone straigt to viewing the video...

:P

microUgly
Site Admin

Postby microUgly » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:20 am

ryanlerch wrote:it would be nice to have html anchors to each of the headings of each tutorial...

Yeah, tpically on a system like this you would provide a "perma-link" so you could link to a single page with the tutorial.

This site isn't static HTML is it? I mean, does it have a database backend?

ryanlerch

Postby ryanlerch » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:31 am

i assumed it was static html, thats y i suggested the anchors rather than making the guys create a whole bunch of new pages....
but like you said, if it has a DB backend, life should be a lot simpler for them...

:P

rfquerin

Postby rfquerin » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:53 am

microUgly wrote:This site isn't static HTML is it? I mean, does it have a database backend?

[cough cough]...

And what exactly is wrong with static HTML? [caution: Rhetorical]

[cough cough]

I think Ryan's anchor idea is a great one btw. ;)

Oh boy.. heathenx is gonna love where this is going...

microUgly
Site Admin

Postby microUgly » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:22 am

rfquerin wrote:Oh boy.. heathenx is gonna love where this is going...

Well, from a databasing and programming point of view, there isn't much work involved. In fact it couldn't be more simple. I'd be happy to help with PHP and MySQL coding. You could easily generate a RSS feed as well.

ryanlerch

Postby ryanlerch » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:10 pm

an RSS feed would be good :P

it could then be aggregated at http://planet.inkscape.org/

heathenx

Postby heathenx » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:31 pm

easy, everyone. :lol:

man, you guys are getting too far ahead of us. you talk as if rfquerin and i actually know what we are doing.

Well, from a databasing and programming point of view, there isn't much work involved. In fact it couldn't be more simple. I'd be happy to help with PHP and MySQL coding. You could easily generate a RSS feed as well.

@microugly,

if the offer doesn't expire perhaps we will take you up on it sometime in the future. for now though, we'll stick with html and css. that is about as simple as we want to keep things right at the moment. i can't even encode a video...how do you think i'll handle some php or mysql?

an RSS feed would be good :P

it could then be aggregated at http://planet.inkscape.org/

@ryanlerch,

we do have an rss feed but we are still playing with things at the moment. i cannot speak for rfquerin but being added to planet inkscape somewhat scares me. i don't consider myself an authority on inkscape. i'm just a regular user. i'm rather used to being laughed at but being laughed at on a much larger scale would just destroy me. :lol:

microUgly
Site Admin

Postby microUgly » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:43 pm

heathenx wrote:if the offer doesn't expire perhaps we will take you up on it sometime in the future. for now though, we'll stick with html and css. that is about as simple as we want to keep things right at the moment. i can't even encode a video...how do you think i'll handle some php or mysql?

Shouldn't expire so long as I'm around :) And the advantage with a well written PHP/MySQL app is that you would never need to touch the code.

heathenx

Postby heathenx » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:53 pm

And the advantage with a well written PHP/MySQL app is that you would never need to touch the code.

sweet. that's the kind of stuff i like.

rfquerin

Postby rfquerin » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:24 pm

heathenx wrote:man, you guys are getting too far ahead of us. you talk as if rfquerin and i actually know what we are doing.

I was gonna say 'speak for yourself!' but then realized that you're probably right... But I can talk a big game. ;)

shudde

Postby shudde » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:08 pm

Thought I'd use this thread to say thanks for the casts heathen. I've only been using inkscape for a couple of weeks but your videos have been a lot of help.

Incidentally I'd just finished leeching your flash videos off youtube and converting them to avi when I noticed the new site... mutter. The higher resolution will make it worthwhile to releech though, youtube quality was making a few of the finer points unclear.

I'm not sure if the low volume problem has been fixed in the newer files but if anyone wants a fix for the lowres youtube version, after converting to avi with "ffmpeg -i filename.flv filename.avi" it's an easy fix with avidemux (open file, change audio to lame, click filters, check gain box and automatic, save file). Should be able to do the same thing with the swf files, though you'd have to convert them to avi with mencoder instead of ffmpeg.

capnhud

Postby capnhud » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:33 pm

Does anyone know if there is there a way that SWF files can be converted to avi files for Windows XP?

rfquerin

Postby rfquerin » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:49 pm

capnhud wrote:Does anyone know if there is there a way that SWF files can be converted to avi files for Windows XP?

Yeah. By getting the creators of the swf files to post their original avi files as well. :)

I have all my vids in avi format, and heathenx is currently trying to get his in a suitably consistent format (framerate, codecs, etc..). He is in encoding hell at the moment, but I think we plan on providing the additional format in the next little while - that is, if we can get heathenx's encoding issues solved.

As far as creating avi's from the swf's, I tried the windows program 'Super' which will do a lot of conversions, but seems to crash when I give it an swf and ask for an avi. I haven't pursued that avenue much simply because my original screencast recordings are done in avi format. - btw if you google 'super' it will take you to their site - but be warned, it's one of the absolute ugliest sites on the net ;) To save you the time, scroll down to the bottom of it for the download link if you want to try it yourself.

My original avi files are encoded using xVid for the video and lame (mp3) for the audio. I don't know how that will work for everybody, but we're hoping that's the right road to go down as far as avi format.

The_JinJ

Postby The_JinJ » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:49 am

Neil

rfquerin

Postby rfquerin » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:57 am

The_JinJ wrote:Anyone tried this?

http://www.avi-swf-convert.com/

That link doesn't work for me.

The_JinJ

Postby The_JinJ » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:15 am

Bizarre...works for me.
Here's a direct link to the download - exe - Windows only with this one :(

There are quite a few free tools for this - GOOGLE
Neil

heathenx

Postby heathenx » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:20 am

be patient everyone. we are working on the avi's right now. i'm still working out some issues with mencoder but hope to have them solved soon.

Darth_Gimp

Postby Darth_Gimp » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:22 am

rfquerin wrote:and here I was thinking my memory was going due to old age. ;)

It is.. just slowly...

rfquerin wrote:... and thinking - hey, I don't need that right now, but dang is that ever useful! :)

I think my Wife has said that a few times... mostly when she sees me on the comp when I'm supposed to be doing something else.

capnhud

Postby capnhud » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:07 am

hey guys watching avi at my convenience sure does make learning inkscape from your site wonderful keep up the good job :!:

Darth_Gimp

Postby Darth_Gimp » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:24 am

HethenX

In screencast 34 the supplement.. you mention using the spacebar to stamp. I tried this in Ubuntu and in Windows Xp with no effect. I used CTRL to move the circle, released CTRL and pressed SPACE BAR and no stamp happened.

Any thoughts?

heathenx

Postby heathenx » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:05 pm

make sure that you do not let up on the left mouse button when you press the space bar

microUgly
Site Admin

Postby microUgly » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:14 pm

Strange. Works fine here. And you're moving the object with the "Select" tool? I can't imagine what else you could be moving with but it's kinda got me stumped :) Are you using 0.45 or the a development build?

Darth_Gimp

Postby Darth_Gimp » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:19 pm

heathenx wrote:make sure that you do not let up on the left mouse button when you press the space bar

This one fixed it.. Thanks! Micro I'm using 0.45 waiting for the next release to stabilize.

ginsterbusch

Postby ginsterbusch » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:10 am

For the folks wanting to download the screencasts and still worrying about the missing control buttons:

a) Windows users might want to give IrfanView a try, which has got a flash plugin that offers all the convenient controls by itself
b) Actually Linux users should give IrfanView a try, too :D Nevertheless, AFAIK Kaffeine - and thus, Xine - is able to display Flash videos. At least it does so when I download flash videos from YouTube (using the "Fast Video Download" extension for Firefox). If you dont like KDE, you still could convert the flash video using FFmpeg to eg. MPEG, WMV or any other format once you've downloaded it.

cu, w0lf.

Return to “Tricks & Tutorials”