Jellyfish Dessert

Show off your finished Inkscape work.
Lazur

Re: Jellyfish Dessert

Postby Lazur » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:16 am

Hi Ha1flosse!

You put alot of work in this with all the details however it doesn't come out right.
Like on that image, I can hardly read the text.
On the original 2048 version it is legible though, but too wide for my screen.
The reduced gif palette makes it worse.
Saw other animated comic strips, for example this: http://cdn.iwastesomuchtime.com/July-26-2012-20-32-38-94832b46d3749c64d3242170a95197b4.gif.
With the less colour being used, the reduced anti-aliasing doesn't come out that much.

I have no experience with that but if I remember right deviantart can host flash files, maybe it would work better?

druban

Postby druban » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi, HA, You were open to having some grammar pointers before so -
It should be:
"Mutations? Like that one?"
or even:
"Mutations like THAT one?"
Although I prefer the first. Italics/bolds optional, but normal in comics as you of course know.

Very cool and creative gif use, I watched it repeat over and over for a while!
I look at your page frequently but don't comment. But you're doing better all the time.
Your mind is what you think it is.

Johannski

Postby Johannski » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:52 am

Ok so, i've got a few ideas for your issue:

First, you save every frame of the gif on its own. In Gimp there is a functionality to optimize the gif, so that every new layer just saves the difference. See the screenshot on where you can find the function:
I tried it, and instead of 2.1 MB your strip has 800KB, but stays exactly the same when watching.

I don't really like the youtube-idea because, you would have to replay it all the time, would get really annoying, i guess. But what about vine? It works on all browsers, has a neat quality, replays automatically and you can embed it in your website?
Small link on how to embed it: http://blog.hostbaby.com/2013/09/how-to-embed-a-vine-video-on-your-website/

Those riots are every year in Austria, because there is a right wing event in the center of the capital and it gets for some reason tolerated. But yeah, now everything calmed down again :)

ha1flosse

Postby ha1flosse » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:20 am

hey, thanks a lot for your replys!

so, Lazur URH, i agree the lettering of the strip you mentioned is too small. i reduced the color palette aiming for a balance of size and colorfulness but i see that the result isn't satisfying at this point. i thought as long as the jokes are not stunning, the artwork should be as colorful and nice as possible - regarding loading time of the gif image. the example you linked isn't that funny and i am personally not attracted by the artwork, so i wouldn't find the strip interesting. but i agree - there is a lack of quality regarding the actual gif images. i hope it will match your personal standards after the improvements. i personally don't like the restricted flash-format and would perfer to stick to standards any browser matches even without additional plugins.

i am pretty excited you are reading the strips druban! a question regarding your grammar correction. at which point the strips' lettering should be changed, in 2nd or 3rd frame? the sentence "WAA, mutations like this!" is a statement from the little fish being terrified by the appearance of the mother-in-law and pointing to her claiming that she is a mutation. should this sentence be changed then?

johannski, your reply has been awesomely helpful. the point about the replay-issue embedding yt-videos would be very annoying. funny is, that the steps for gif-optimization you are suggesting had been in my workflow but in a twisted order, that's why it didn't work out properly. i optimized the gifs with gimp first and reduced the palette with gifsicle second, so the palette reduction created ugly fragments in the image. following your suggestion, it reduces the file-size a lot. so with that workflow i can easily scale the image to a proper size and the filesize is still smaller compared to the old imagesize. thats very cool!

so would this size be appropriate (used an older strip, bec. rendering and editing the current takes a while)?: http://jelly.haifashion.eu/beta/index.html

cheerio

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:28 am

That looks much more legible.
In my humble opinion the two side showing the water is not used to it's fullness, adding a bit "empty space" feel to the comic, which would make it possible to use speech bubbles one and a half or even twice the current size.
I think that the aliasing is not going with this style, which comes out worst on the letters -like the "M"; it would look much better with a pixel art style.

There are some errors from the palette reducement -yellow appears on the right fish's red parts,
and some pixels are flashing in the speech bubbles.
Still it looks better in this size.

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:02 am

I just checked your strips. Pretty entertaining, kept a wide grin on my face from the first up to the last page. I'd like to see a followup to the global warming pic ;D Keep em coming!
Gruß nach Magdeburg.
... My blog ... << Come visit me :) >> ... My thread ...

ha1flosse

Postby ha1flosse » Mon May 05, 2014 12:16 am

..back again proudly presenting you a new very short short. hope you'll enjoy! as you see the production has been a mix up of opensource-cgi-tools, with inkscape leading the way for the texture-works in combination with gimp.

MILO&PAUL:..why fish are better..:
very short short

ingredients made with and many thanks to:
blender *HTTP://WWW.BLENDER.ORG*
inkscape *HTTP://WWW.INKSCAPE.ORG*
gimp *HTTP://WWW.GIMP.ORG*
audacity *HTTP://AUDACITY.SOURCEFORGE.NET*
ubuntu *HTTP://WWW.UBUNTU.COM*
soundcloud *HTTP://WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM*
caustics *Jos Stam, INRIA, http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/~stam/*
sand texture *http://www.tutorialsforblender.com*

ha1flosse

Postby ha1flosse » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:01 am

hi there how are you? i've been working on a game in blender game engine lately, using inkscape for textures. for example, this is a sketch for textures on a yellow fish character i did recently and wanted to share with you (svg to download from openclipart.org, click img..):

that's how the fish looks like in blender game engine right now, while most parts of the sketch had been used for texturing.

..critics and tips are welcome! if you're interested in more informations about the game and playable, constantly updated .blend - files visit the development - thread at blenderartists.org: Jellyfish Dessert - Snack Frenzy

i am looking forward to do most of the games' artwork like screen overlays, huds etc. in inkscape so i'll post some progress here as soon as there is something new to show..

cheerio

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:18 pm

How exciting about the game!

About the fish texture -- I can barely see it, and I have to try real hard and stare at it intensely, and frown at it, to see the texture. Could be improved by making the texture somehow more prominent, whether that means darker or more contrast or whatever. Because when the fish is shown in the ocean drawing, there's no hope of seeing texture (because it's so small).

I love the ocean scene! Amazing depth -- must be parts of the ocean are 3d renderings? Would be hard to achieve in Inkscape alone.

Wait.....that's not the same fish in the ocean, that's inserted in the message....is it?? Because the yellow/green fish in the ocean doesn't have the black outline.

Well anyway, very nice work!!

ha1flosse

Postby ha1flosse » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:42 am

..hey brynn, thanks for the reply! agreed, the texture isn't that prominent but regarding the simple style of the other fish in the scene its all right. the screenshot and the game are realtime renderings in blenders game engine. the textures of the yellow fish were drawn in inkscape (the texturesketch is the related svg above) and rendered to png for placing them as uv - textures in blender, as still there is no support in blender for using svg as textures directly.

cheerio

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:28 am

I think that you two were speaking of different kinds of textures (but correct me if I'm wrong). A texture in game terms is usually a 2-dimensional image to be drawn onto (3d) objects and surfaces, which can be anything from a uni-colored rectangle to something very complex with noise, shapes, alpha transparency, etc. What brynn was thinking, if I'm correct, is something more "graphics-app-like" (sorry, don't know how else to put it), e.g. a dirt texture overlay in an Inkscape drawing. Here the fish texture for the game isn't just the scales or the thin lines on the fins, but the whole fish graphic.

Like I said, maybe I got this wrong.. Anyway, good luck with the project. Hope you'll get to finish it :)
... My blog ... << Come visit me :) >> ... My thread ...

ha1flosse

Postby ha1flosse » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:42 am

..as you said texture in 3d is related to images mapped onto surfaces. isn't a texture overlay in inkscape almost the same except there are no 3d just 2d coordinates for objects?

the svg was just the sketch for the textures, what means i used for example the ripples by scaling them to the faces of the object, exported them to a png and mapped them onto the surface uvs in blender. the outlined shape-/body-svg-object of the sketch just suits to the 3d meshs' side view but has not been used at all, as just the fin graphics, ripples and gradients are exported for texture mapping as you see in the following close-up screenshot of the fish. at normal view in blender game engine (and at the svg - sketch) all this is barely to see as brynn mentioned, almost the overlay graphics of the fins and the gradients are noticable but i think its ok, who cares.

screenshot of the ripples on the body caused by the normal map (shown with overlayed uvmap):

ha1flosse

Postby ha1flosse » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:49 am

..just finished the colorlayer of a texture for a blowfish using inkscape:

brynn

Postby brynn » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:36 pm

Spectacular!!

Return to “Finished Inkscape Work”