Your first Inkscape drawing

Show off your finished Inkscape work.
brynn

Re: Your first Inkscape drawing

Postby brynn » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:43 am

When finished, I dont know If I can post them here.

You're welcome to post them here, at InkscapeForum. But not in this topic. You should start a new topic for yourself in this forum. Unless you need some kind of help with it, then you would post either in the Help forum or Work In Progress forum :D

Inkscaping

Postby Inkscaping » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:31 am

I bought a book entitled The Book Of Inscape by Dmitry Kirsanov I'm only in chapter 2 yet I can be so impatient to wait & learn the new techniques I need to know now such as "layering" - I am clueless about how layering works & how to implement layering into my work. I tried to set up some layers in a new picture that I'm working on but it doesn't seem to have the desired effect or work like I thought it would. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong or assuming it should work a certain way. It's back to the book but in addition to reading the book I hope I can get some step by step practical help here too. lol!

Inkscaping

Postby Inkscaping » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:24 am

I love How the planets glow and appear as If they're illuminating. God
willing, I'll be working on more space scenes as time moves forward. I hope you
like this one. It's my first space scene using Inkscape.

Inkscaping

brynn

Postby brynn » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:03 am

Check out my signature, for some instructional materials!
Also, please start a new topic for other images :D

Inkscaping

Postby Inkscaping » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:43 pm

Forums are tough for me. I'm still learning the ins & outs with forums.

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:03 pm

No worries :D
To start a new topic, click "NewTopic" button.

Inkscaping

Postby Inkscaping » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:26 am

Thank you

bigj480

Postby bigj480 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:35 pm

I don't know what to consider my first because my first drawing was done in parts then all brought together. I learned inkscape to enter a contest, this was my submission based on the things the guy said he wanted:

brynn

Postby brynn » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:10 pm

You must have won the contest, because that looks really familiar!

bigj480

Postby bigj480 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:00 pm

brynn wrote:You must have won the contest, because that looks really familiar!

No sir, I came in like 4th or 5th. It was fun to learn, though, and it came out better than I thought it would.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:35 am

Hhm....I'm sure I've seen it before. Maybe you posted it somewhere else? Although I suppose that's a fairly common theme these days (skull, guns, wings). In any case, it is very well done. What did you use for the texture for the skull? And there seems to be a bit of a texture on the black background of the shield shape?

octosup

Postby octosup » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:13 pm

Hopefully I will improve, but my first drawing isn't going to get any better, so here it is.

I tried to put the original .svg format but the free image hosting websites wouldn't allow me.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:51 am

Interesting! Snarling cat?

I just wanted to mention that this image host: http://www.imgh.us/index.php does allow SVG uploads, in case you ever need it. But it's better to put the PNG in the forum, since IE is still kind of weak on displaying SVGs.

octosup

Postby octosup » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:06 am

It has been a recent suprise for me to discover that chromium and firefox read .svg (I don't know why, I imagined that browsers still had no support for vector images). Now I thought that posting raster images on a forum focused on a vectorial program was like "cheating" or "bad form"... if it is not, I suppose I can keep using .png (besides, it's very doubtful that the vectorial format of my works will be of any interest/use to anyone for some time)

brynn wrote:Interesting! Snarling cat?

Something like that, actually it's my interpretation of Coeurl, a feline alien predator from a sci-fi book I read when I was a kid :)

bigj480

Postby bigj480 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:16 pm

brynn wrote:Hhm....I'm sure I've seen it before. Maybe you posted it somewhere else? Although I suppose that's a fairly common theme these days (skull, guns, wings). In any case, it is very well done. What did you use for the texture for the skull? And there seems to be a bit of a texture on the black background of the shield shape?

I actually posted it in a separate thread here, but I decided to delete that thread because it got no response. Besides, it really doesn't belong in a separate thread. It is a bit cliche. The texture of the skull was "rough paper" with some tweaked settings and the texture on the inside of the shield was really cheating, I edited a picture of wood then imported and scanned it. It is vector, not pixel, really used up all of my CPU power. I used the same "rough paper" in the "brass case" in my second submission, here: http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h388/bigj480/Headstamp.png

brynn

Postby brynn » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:08 am

Oooohhhh!!
Gosh I was sure I'd seen it before, and I had -- here! I guess I didn't comment before because it's not a subject matter that usually interests me. But when I saw it again, and I was so sure I had seen it before, then I started looking much more closely, lol. Then I realized how well it's' made.
Yeah, that wood texture has the appearance of black satin fabric to me. I'll have to remember that trick :D

digrejzo

Postby digrejzo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:31 am

my first drawing made without any tutorials is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34696560/InkscapeStuff/medjed.png.
the bear is saying "bitch" in serbian. I did him for my girlfriend. =D

I am currently doing (more like trying to do) my chair, which looks like this:

I've also done a quick sketch of my band's logo, which I will be finishing when I have more free time and fresh ideas.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34696560/InkscapeStuff/pokusaj.png

cheers!

Natural Reject

Postby Natural Reject » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:36 pm

This is the first drawing I did that's anything more than doodles to figure out the basics of the program. Originally, he was supposed to be green and actually be an entire dog, but circumstances around his birth unfortunately meant I wouldn't be able to use him for his intended purpose. Instead, I decided to give him a more dog-like colour and keep him anyway, as I like the way he turned out. If I ever get a good idea revolving around a dog, I might revisit him in the future to finish him for one of my comics.

brynn

Postby brynn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi digrejzo,
Looks like you're off to a good start with Inkscape! Nice work on the chair. Nice work on the bear too. In the US, "bitch" is like a curse word, and a boyfriend would probably never use it in a gift to his girlfriend. I guess that just shows how different other cultures can be, from what we're used to ;)

Hi Natural Reject,
Oh, cute dog! Slightly reminds me of the dog Odie in the Garfield comic, with emphasis on slightly. Also reminds me of a dog in an old animated cartoon.....if I can remember the name of it.....I think it was in the Bullwinkle cartoon, there was a dog whose character was like a professor. In fact I think its name was Professor. He wore eyeglasses though, but there's still a resemblance, I think. Wow, you know I saw an old Bullwinkle cartoon the other day. As a child, I really missed a lot of the humor. I think it really speaks a lot of the Bullwinkle creator, that it could be a fun cartoon for kids, with jokes for the adults as well.

Anyway, not to get too far off topic. Yes, I think you should definitely find a use for him in a comic. He's too cute to fade into oblivion :D

Natural Reject

Postby Natural Reject » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks brynn! I can certainly see the Odie-esqueness of my little pup. I don't have any formal drawing training, but rather rely on drawing (no pun intended, seriously) inspiration from comics I've read. Garfield was the comic of choice for my brother growing up, so I had a lot of access to Odie as a kid and as he's perfectly awesome, he has influenced my view of how comic dogs should be. That said, I don't intend to purely copy material, I do want to have a style of my own. I watch techniques, and then try to adapt them to fit my own way of drawing.

As for looking like the Professor from the Bullwinkle show, I had to google him in the first place, as I was not familiar with the show. I don't see the same resemblance there, other than that they're both dogs.

And don't worry, he won't fade into oblivion. Regardless of whether I finish him or not, he'll always be my first. :D

outerspacerace

Postby outerspacerace » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi all,

Yesterday I completed my first drawing using Inkscape :)

For anyone who may be interested I also published a short post about it on my blog:

http://www.nigelmaher.com/2012/03/baby-boy.html.

Microugly your guide was a great help, thanks for all the work you put into that!

Cheers,

Nigel.

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:02 am

Welcome to the forum!

Nice work, and congrats on the new baby :D

outerspacerace

Postby outerspacerace » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks Brynn!

I really enjoyed creating that image and I hope it shows a little!

I'd messed around with some of the basic tools in Inkscape previously but as always - forcing yourself to finish something to a reasonable level is the best way to learn.

I really like working in Inkscape and now intend to go back and go through a few more guides/tutorials to refine my workflow as much as possible.

No doubt I'll be firing questions off here soon ;)

n0ff

Postby n0ff » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:54 am

a_dejesus

Postby a_dejesus » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:18 pm

This is my first drawing really messing around with Inkscape.

Return to “Finished Inkscape Work”