The Greys

Show off your finished Inkscape work.
Xav

Re: The Greys

Postby Xav » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:25 am

Thanks for the kind words, Inkspots.

Inkspots wrote:Unfortunately I'm addicted to hunting for easter eggs.

That's what I like to hear - some of our best work is in the Easter Eggs ;)

Inkspots wrote:Do you have any idea how long it took me to recognize one when I found it, and figure out they weren't like this? --->Image

Actually some of them are like that. Well, maybe not quite as nice as that, as ours doesn't have the pretty bow on it, but definitely egg-shaped all the same. It's usually our earlier strips which include a literal Easter egg - our later strips seem to have got a bit carried away with what we consider to be an egg, as you've probably noticed. The literal eggs turn up from time-to-time on our CD-ROM as well, as that features a few extra eggs in addition to those in the strips.

I'm glad you're enjoying the strips, and especially pleased to hear that you're an avid egg hunter. We sometimes get a crisis of conscience when we find we've spent far too long working on Easter Eggs that most people won't see, so it's always fortifying to hear from someone who actively looks for them :D
Co-creator of The Greys and Monsters, Inked - Inkscape drawn webcomics
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:14 pm

I really hate to miss an easter egg, sometimes it's the best part of the comic (not usually, because the comics themselves are pretty great), but they're always fun.

When I first started reading the Greys I hadn't really tried to do much with Inscape yet.
I didnt know how to release a clipping mask, and although I knew layers could be hidden and unhidden, I had to look up how to find them if the layers dialog was closed.
I suppose I could have missed an easter egg or two. :cry:
Last edited by Inkspots on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xav

Postby Xav » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:01 pm

Inkspots wrote:When I first started reading the Greys I hadn't really tried to do much with Inscape yet.
I didnt know how to release a clipping mask, and although I knew layers could be hidden and unhidden, I had to look up how to find them if the layers dialog was closed.

If looking for our Easter Eggs has provided you with a little motivation to discover more about using Inkscape, then they've served their main purpose. We're very keen for people to not just become passive consumers on their computers, but rather to wade in and try something creative for themselves, whether that be graphical, musical, literary or whatever. It's the same reason that I write the Inkscape tutorials for Full Circle Magazine.

The fact that they allow us to put in extra jokes and references is a nice side-effect - they're really there to get people to launch Inkscape :D

Inkspots wrote:I suppose I could have missed an easter egg or two. :cry:

I maintain a secret document that lists them all - just so that we don't forget what ones we've added! The definition of "Easter Egg" is fairly random, so some entries encompass several different things, whereas others are spelled out individually even though they might be considered as one larger Easter Egg. There are currently over 200 entries listed in that document, but depending on how fine-grained you want to be when counting, there are arguably many more Easter Eggs than that.

One clue I can give you is this: if you've only used Inkscape in your hunting, and haven't had to use a web browser yet, then you've definitely missed a few Easter Eggs ;)

(If you want clues about specific strips, then feel free to ask - though the answers you get might sometimes be a bit cryptic)
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:18 am

[ Inkspots dons her Ninja gear...contacts her minions on their cleverly disguised wrist watch communicators, and sets off in search of the Top secret Easter egg list.
Now..if only she knew what browsers she hadnt used to search the comics that contain those cleverly hidden Easter eggs...curses! The fiendish creators of the greys have spared no subterfuge in keeping them from her! ]

Actually have found a few Easter eggs by opening the SVG files in my browser. It was an accident the first time it happened,and who could have guessed you would be so sneaky!?
The greys may not have been my biggest motivation for Beginning to try and make some real use of Inkscape, but they definately got me to open and use it more often before I'd reached that point. And...hunting for easter eggs did inspire me to find out things I might not have bothered knowing otherwise. I was focusing mostly on raster image editors at the time, and hadnt used Inkscape enough yet to know what I was missing out on. I'd have to say, the Greys really did have an influence.

Xav said:
The fact that they allow us to put in extra jokes and references is a nice side-effect - they're really there to get people to launch Inkscape

Yep, Nice side effect. :)

I saw the Inkscape tutorial announcements for full circle magazine, and read several of the tutorials. So, kudos on that.

Xav

Postby Xav » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:54 pm

Inkspots wrote:Actually have found a few Easter eggs by opening the SVG files in my browser. It was an accident the first time it happened,and who could have guessed you would be so sneaky!?

Us? Sneaky? Never ;)

There are a few that will yield some sort of effect when opened in a web browser. I use Firefox for testing, but often run them through Chromium and/or Opera as well. No browser renders the SVG "perfectly" (i.e. the same as we get out of Inkscape), but some come close, depending on the comic.

There are other Easter Eggs which take the form of a URL to type into your browser - if you haven't found any of those (there are only a few), then there's still more hunting to be done.

Anyway, on with the latest update...

Previous comic: "Filmnesia, Part II":

Latest comic:

Thursday 20th December, 2012: "Filmnesia, Part III"
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Xav

Postby Xav » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:22 am

We posted strip #037 of our other comic, 'Monsters, Inked', on Christmas day:

As a special Christmas treat, we also recorded the creation process and produced a timelapse video. 8 hours of work compressed down to a couple of minutes.

Warning: Contains flashing images

http://vimeo.com/56377939
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

brynn

Postby brynn » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:35 am

Very nice video, and thanks for the gift!

If I could make a suggestion, I would use fewer "frames" of the Inkscape "clean up" part, and instead show some of the movement of nodes (or whatever else happens in the clean up part). It was going by so fast in that part, that it was hard to tell what was happening. It seems to be just flashes of different areas of the image. Although I did notice some changing of colors in some places. And not to be nit-picky -- of course I know that your work is excellent for both comics. It's just that if a new user looked at that, they might not be clear what you mean by "clean up". Well anyway, it's just a thought from a humble fan :D

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:38 pm

The video would have been great, but the rapid flashing forced me to look away from it.
The first part of it was interesting..and I saw a few brief glimpses of speech bubbles being placed, in there somewhere.
Thanks for taking the time, and making and sharing the Video.
(Your right about the speed of it though, its pretty fast.)

Great Comics, as usual. Image
I enjoyed the Christmas episode of Mosters Inked.
Happy New year to everyone at peppertop

Xav

Postby Xav » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:44 pm

Actually the problem is that it needs more frames rather than fewer if you want to follow what's going on.

It was intended purely as a timelapse video of the whole process, rather than a tutorial video, so the speeding up of the content was intended to follow the music. Now that I've done one (this is the first online video I've ever made!), I'm thinking about creating something more like a tutorial, choosing an individual object or character rather than a whole strip.

BTW, the "Clean-up" part was done using The GIMP, and refers to cleaning up the scan a little. The Inkscape part is "Trace and Colour" (and "Final Assembly").
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:18 pm

You said:
BTW, the "Clean-up" part was done using The GIMP, and refers to cleaning up the scan a little. The Inkscape part is "Trace and Colour" (and "Final Assembly").

That much was clear, so great job there. I didnt think the video was meant as a tutorial...and it was interesting. Pretty good for a first video share.

If you do decide to create a tutorial, we'll enjoy it.
....no pressure
....just whenever you get around to it is fine.

:P

Xav

Postby Xav » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:16 pm

Previous Greys comic: "Filmnesia, Part III"

Latest strip:

Thursday 3rd January, 2013: "Filmnesia, Part IV"
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:27 pm

lol....the whole Filmnesia concept just kills me.

Xav

Postby Xav » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:33 am

Previous comic, "Filmnesia Part IV":

The latest comic is the fifth and final instalment of our Filmnesia series. This one also features our most epic Easter Egg to date - 8 panels of Easter Egg for a 3 panel comic - so download the SVG file and have a look around in Inkscape :D

Thursday 17th January: "Filmnesia, Part V"
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Inkspots

Postby Inkspots » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:23 am

Best easter egg ever.
p.s. I'd say more, but I dont want to spoil it for anyone.

Xav

Postby Xav » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks Inkspots - it is a bit of a special one, isn't it ;) I have to give due credit to my colleague, Vince, who created the watercolours.

Previous comic, "Filmnesia Part V":

Latest comic:

Thursday 31st January, 2013: "A New Job for an Old Soldier"
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Xav

Postby Xav » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:11 am

Previous comic, "A New Job for an Old Soldier":

Latest strip:

Thursday 14th February, 2012: "Assembling an Army"

Read the commentary to get an idea of what my colleague Vince does when he's not drawing aliens and monsters.
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Xav

Postby Xav » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:20 pm

Previous comic, "Assembling an Army":

Latest comic:

Thursday, 28th February 2013: "The Grey Star"
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Xav

Postby Xav » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:02 pm

Previous comic, "The Grey Star":

Latest comic - the second of our Doctor Who 50th anniversary strips:

Thursday 14th March 2013: "The Mechanics of Time Travel"
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Xav

Postby Xav » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:57 pm

Phew! It's been a hectic few weeks as we've been working hard on a couple of 'Monsters, Inked' projects that we're hoping to bring to fruition soon. Plus we had another month where we exceeded our bandwidth (it's great to be so popular, but we're churning through about 30GB per month now, and it's getting expensive!). Then there was Easter, and the clocks changed, and... and...

The result of this turmoil is that I'm now playing catch-up, which means two comics in one post. First the previous-previous strip, our second Doctor Who 50th Anniversary comic, "The Mechanics of Time Travel":

Next, our previous strip, "Number 6":

And finally our usual link to the latest comic:

Thursday 11th April, 2013: "I Think Therefore I Was"
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Xav

Postby Xav » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Previous comic, "I Think Therefore I Was":

Latest comic:

Thursday 26th April 2013, "How 99 Got Smart" (the last strip of Season 4):

http://www.peppertop.com/greys/2013/04/how-99-got-smart/

In other news, 38 of our Monsters, Inked strips have been collected together and put into print in the unimaginatively titled "Monsters, Inked Collected Classics Volume 1". It's at the printers as I type, and will be available to buy from next Saturday (Free Comic Book Day) at our local comic shop, Dead Universe Comics. So if you happen to find yourself in Aylesbury (Buckinghamshire, England) on May 4th, pop along and meet a few independent comic creators, and help our ongoing bandwidth woes by buying a copy of the book ;)

There will also be copies of the "Dead Universe Year One" comic book available on Free Comic Book Day, which includes one of our older Greys strips, a re-worked version of our very first Greys strip, and a completely new triple-height Monsters, Inked comic.

Note: Monsters, Inked is hand drawn, then traced, coloured, lettered and composited using Inkscape.
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Xav

Postby Xav » Fri May 03, 2013 7:14 pm

We've received a box o' books ready for sale on Saturday. If any UK readers are in or near Aylesbury (Bucks), then do drop into Friar's Square on Saturday 4th May for Free Comic Book Day to say hello (and preferably to buy one of our nice new comic books, but that's not a requirement).

Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Xav

Postby Xav » Sat May 11, 2013 2:58 am

It's hard to believe, but we've been at this for over four years now. To think that we were Inkscape novices when we started...

Here's the last strip of Season 4, "How 99 Got Smart":

And the first strip of Season 5 is now online:

Thursday 9th May, 2013: "The Union of Federation Redshirts"
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

Xav

Postby Xav » Fri May 24, 2013 11:55 pm

Previous strip: "The Union of Federation Redshirts"

Latest comic:

Thursday 24th May 2013, "Bad Medicine"
Web SiteFacebookTwitter

lejimi

Postby lejimi » Sat May 25, 2013 5:59 am

The last panel was a very difficult piece of translation ;-)
Inkscape 0.91 / Ubuntu 12.04
Inkscape 0.91 / Debian Wheezy

Gloire à qui n'ayant pas d'idéal sacro-saint
Se borne à ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins

Xav

Postby Xav » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:49 pm

Previous comic, "Bad Medicine":

Latest comic:

Thursday, 6th June 2013:"Comic Ridiculing Acronymic Projects"
Web SiteFacebookTwitter