Dillerkind's image pool

Show off your finished Inkscape work.
hulf2012

Re: Dillerkind's image pool

Postby hulf2012 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:21 am

Hello

Hey..
Sorry if I'm being stupid or slow but.. I don't really understand what you're trying to tell me. Relief? Wesnoth? What exactly do these have to do with my (last?) pic? O_o

By relief I was meaning this:

Your head is over a plain surface, like this sculpt, where a 3d object is over a plain stone. You can see that in some parts it's more visible the shadow produced by the centaur or the man over the plain stone. It seemed to me that your head isn't producing that shadow over the plain object behind it. But It seems that is just me.

About wesnoth, i was just pointing that in their forums I saw good critics about the artwork of the game. If you are interested in technical critic about some of your art, you can see there... or not.

Sorry, I can't explain it better!

Greetings
If you have problems:
1.- Post a sample (or samples) of your file please.
2.- Please check here:
http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/index.html
3.- If you manage to solve your problem, please post here your solution.

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:06 pm

Ahh, now I understand. Yes, you're right. The head isn't casting a shadow on that background thingie. Let's just say it's a placeholder to fill the empty background, not a physical shape directly behind the head. I did experiment with a shadow on that thing but it looked kinda messy, making it hard to distinguish between fore- and background (believe me, 8 colors for everything isn't that much :) ). Hence I decided to leave it out.

Thanks for the explanation.

----------

Here's a walk cycle I made with that skinny guy I posted a while ago. I'm not very experienced with animation and I guess he's "rocking" too much much. Giving him such over-the-top proportions did backfire on me and made it hard to get an okay animation set up. Anyway, still lots of fun to play with this stuff :)

Btw. I only drew him in Inkscape; animation was done in Spine. Hope it's still okay to post here... If not, let me know and I'll remove it.
... My blog ... << Come visit me :) >> ... My thread ...

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:52 am

Looks very nice.
I might give a try to the Spine but you could also give a try to the so called "breaking elbow" technic which might improve appearance of this guy, especially with his height/length.
:tool_zoom: <<< click! - but, those with a cheaper tickets should go this way >>> :!:

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:16 am

Ah yes, good point! I gave it a try and edited parts of the animation. Had to tone it down a bit since there's no actual deformation/bending in the arm, as it really just consists of two separate rigid parts. The result looks kinda wacky but I think it fits his appearance. I could probably go on tweaking this animation but I fear that at some point I'd just bore people to death. So I guess I should do something entirely new instead :D Thanks for the advice!

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:33 am

Well... whole another ball game ,)
Add a few blinks next time.. just to make the character even more alive.
:tool_zoom: <<< click! - but, those with a cheaper tickets should go this way >>> :!:

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:23 am

Blink added... as well as changed most of the animation time and time again. The breaking elbow was a great hint though I clearly overdid it last time. Wouldn't have been that much of a problem if the arms were flexible and bending smoothly like in your example image. But they aren't and to add even more to this, their parts are drawn in a slightly bent-forward fashion. So I toned it down quite a bit. Now I'm tired of the walk cycle and have decided that this will be the final version :D Thanks again for your feedback!

----------

And here's another one of my happy little bone mugs. Massive dog tags for the win :) Don't ask me why I enjoy drawing silly skulls so much... I started working with a really crazy 7-colors palette that I had put together in Grafx2, but then later on exchanged the colors for something less "experimental". Total number of different colors in the final palette is still 7 (or 8, if I count the flat background which I removed for this png), gaining additional tones by using transparency and a multiply filter for the shading.

Don't click this link ... d@___@b ... you've been warned.

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:14 pm

Hey guys..
Here's another wip. A couple of months ago I decided to redraw some of my old sketches and give them a more or less extensive overhaul. Some time later I started working on the vector version of this particular piece. The line-work is done, now I'm thinking about how to go on. Flat or smooth shading, any suggestions?

Click the image for the old/new sketch.

ha1flosse

Postby ha1flosse » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:35 am

cool style.
Last edited by ha1flosse on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Johannski

Postby Johannski » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:39 am

Wow looks really nice, the motion in this picture is perfectly captured! I think a flat shading would look rather good.

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:15 pm

ha1flosse
Glad you like :)

Johannski
Nice! Now, since you've been the only one voting (across three forums in total :D) I'm gonna give this piece a nice flat shading. Thanks J!

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:46 pm

Yes, I've been postponing the work on the line-art above. Felt like doing something with a warm summer breeze, now that it's getting colder outside :) A simple step-by-step thingie can be seen in the last blog post (click the image).

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:54 am

Hello hello...

Here's a little something that I've been working on as a distraction from the pixel animation stuff I'm working on at the moment. It's not quite finished yet but I thought it looked pretty enough to post a little preview. I'll probably keep things simple with this one. Maybe just go with only a few shades of one and the same color, like I did with the lower legs. Opinions?

PS: just ignore the silly text. This is likely to be removed in the finished pic :D

Johannski

Postby Johannski » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Oh she is cute!

The perspective from above is really cool, good job on that. The drawing is great as always.
I actually miss the eyebrowof her right eye. It also feels a bit strange, that her pigtail is so far in the front, not quite sure, maybe you should try to push it a bit more to the back for a more realisitc centroid of her hair.

And actually I really like the text, made me smile. :)

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:06 am

Ah yeah, totally agree about the eyebrow. I've updated the pic yesterday (not uploaded though), edited a few things, added some other things like the eyebrow. I haven't decided yet whether I want the eye (and the brow) to be visible or obscured by the hair. But it should definitely be consistent. Thanks for the hint. As for the hair, that's actually supposed to be that way. The little pig-tail thingie is really on the side of her face, not on the back of the head. The hair in total is swept to the right side and a bit messy. This is partly because I'm not really a friend of symmetry. Many of my characters have asymmetrical hair, clothing, armor, etc.

Thanks for another nice comment!

----------

On a side-note... My little home thread here has just passed the 50k views. I appreciate all the feedback and love I've received so far. Hope you guys will continue to visit this topic and enjoy my little drawings. Thanks a lot everybody! Here's to the next 50k :)

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:39 am

I re-discovered this old isometric shadow practice thing I had been fiddling with some 2 or so years ago. Thought I'd give it another try.. and boy, this damn thing almost drove me crazy! It looks so simple and it probably is really just a piece of cake. But at some point things got so confusing, with all the guide lines and planes I used to construct the final shadows. I'm sure I messed this up in some areas but hell, at some point I just wanted to finish it and put it aside... until I find it again in 2 years and decide to try my luck again :D Like so often recently, I felt like adding a texture and some random grain. Nothing fancy but I thought I'd post it anyway...

Okay, and here's another wip shot of this piece (click for full view). Had put it to rest for a few weeks but decided to work on it a little just a couple of days ago. Maybe I can get it done before the end of the year.. but with the pixel animation stuff I'm also currently working on and the usual the-end-of-year-is-nigh-chaos I have my doubts. Line-work and flat colors are done and I've just started laying out the shades. Decided to use the flat colors for shading as well, instead of using one separate shadow color throughout the entire image (i.e. every color will be shaded with itself). I'm curious how much of a difference this will make in the end. The colors in this early stage are weird and by no means final. And in case somebody's wondering what the MIRRORED layer is for, it simply holds an h-flipped clone of the MAIN layer that helps me spot weird stuff and flaws (mostly in the line-work) that I wouldn't notice otherwise.

jabiertxof

Postby jabiertxof » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:07 am

Great artwork!

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:08 am

Thank you!

----------

Hello everybody and a happy and successful new year to all of you funky people out there!
Somewhat later than anticipated and after more previews than I had originally planned, I can present the finished version of the furry fighter girl. Opposed to what I said in the last post, I scrapped the idea of using the base colors for shading as well. This simply didn't turn out as cool as I was hoping. So it's back to one single shadow color for the entire piece. Also, I was going to go with flat (i.e. non-gradient) shading.. but at some point thought that at least a few gradients might be nice to add a little more depth. So yeah, there's a total of 5-6 shading gradients. Sorry Johannski ;D (though it's still a very small number, compared to many of my other pics).

Outline view and a few wip-steps can be seen in the latest blog post.
Hope you like..

Johannski

Postby Johannski » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:08 am

Oh I had this tab open for such a long time, to remind me, that I should post a reply, but I forgot because of all those other open tabs ^^

I don't know, but there is something strange about that face. It's either the scar (I think it is a scar, right under her eye) or it's the wrinkles created from her shouting mouth, but she looks way older than in your sketches.
The rest of the body with all its little details is just amazing! I for sure wouldn't fight her, her kung fu is for sure better than mine ;) I especially like all the weapons she is wearing, a lot of details there!

Keep up the good work :)

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:28 am

Hahaha.. I know this reminder problem very well. Happens to me quite often that I do or keep things to remind me of something I have/want to do... and then later on I realize that I have forgotten things again :D

The face.. I see what you mean. Probably the wrinkles around her mouth and/or the shade of the cheek or something. Weaponry.. heheh, I like to equip characters with a) lots of weapons, b) with over-sized stuff or even better c) lots of over-sized gear :D Of course you could say that it's silly and everything but handy to carry around all that stuff. But heck, it's so much fun to draw this stuff. This goes for floating bands, rings and skulls of all sizes too.

Thanks for your ongoing support and feedback. I really appreciate it! As for keeping up the good work, I'll definitely do my best :)

----------

And here's the next one, closing another wip-chapter from late 2013. An alternative version can be seen in my latest blog post (and a pixel icon I made, for those of you also interested in pixel-art).

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:15 am

Sven, you`ve mastered these characters (these foxy girls with tails,).
Personally, I prefer the other blooming variant, but your color chart is still exquisite and recognizable. Full sails!

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:41 am

Nah, there's still a long way to master skill level. Lots of things to work on and improve. I appreciate the compliment though. Thanks a lot, Dan!

ha1flosse

Postby ha1flosse » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:45 pm

..nice work - really like the foxgirls' blueprint because of its simpleness. the colored result is nice too, but the hair has some artificial look-and-feel (regarding the transparency and shiny areas) in my opinion, but maybe its just a matter of taste.

the pixel-art is interesting and unique, looking forward to see a finished game project someday (the metal-slug-like tank is pretty cool already!) - could be a real burner.

maybe its a logic step to think about making a game looking at the tons of games released by non-pro-devs since turn of the millennium. i thought about making games for a while now but i am still not convinced that a game is a reasonable way for telling a story regarding the oversupply of games and efforts in comparison to make a graphic novel, comic, cartoon or movie.

there are a lot of free game-sandboxes; read about http://www.stencyl.com/ lately and game develop http://www.compilgames.net/ but i have no clue if its good to start with these or use unity - engine from the scratch because you end up with some professional tool like unity anyway l if you want to work seriously.

viele grüße nach hamburg.
cheerio
Last edited by ha1flosse on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:27 pm

... just a few more cents/coins...

I was about to ask you Sven, if you have any interest for these foxy girls to be moved and shown in some action/animation?
(2d, vector styled animation - AnimeStuido is the app I have in mind)

They might be needed to get slightly simplified or just properly prepared for animating, and while talking just about an artistic collaboration - it would surely involve "certain" amount of time. Of course, interesting plot would be also needed and "casting" should be done by a trusty person ,) Most likely, a few more things would be added to this To Do list - but it all starts with the first question.

Let me know how does it sounds to you.

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:54 am

ha1flosse wrote:..nice work - really like the foxgirls' blueprint because of its simpleness. the colored result is nice too, but the hair has some artificial look-and-feel (regarding the transparency and shiny areas) in my opinion, but maybe its just a matter of taste.

You're right in that the hair doesn't look very natural or realistic. I guess it's influenced by your typical manga/anime style, mixed with other influences. I don't know.. I'm struggling with hair in every single picture I make. Haven't really found "my way" yet, though I have to admit that I'm relatively happy with how things look right now. This, of course, may change over time.

pixel-art + games

I've tried myself at game-making for quite some time, starting around 2004 and up until about 2009/10. In this time I've been working on about a dozen or so game projects. Due to a lack of planning ahead I never managed to finish even one of this games. Most of what I've been working on was done in GameMaker, which I think is still a powerful yet easy to pick up platform. Only their licensing policy has been *cough* a bit dubious and annoying. Games I worked on included several platform-shooters, a top-down tank game, two versions of a side-scrolling car game (animated physics test) and a side-scrolling 2-player ball game (snapshot). For my diploma thesis I wrote a little game prototype using C/C++ and the Allegro library (snapshot).

Back then, pretty much all the pixel graphics I made were done for those games. During the last about 2 years I've grown to love doing pixel-art just for the sake of making it, not for any game project. It's a nice addition to the vector stuff and (sadly very scarce) pencil stuff I do and I really enjoy the different workflow. But even though I've pretty much given up on making games all on my own, I'm working on one together with another guy who does all the programming while I'm concentrating on pushing pixels. Hopefully this will be more successful than me trying to do everything myself :D

viele grüße nach hamburg.
cheerio

Danke, und Grüße zurück. Aber wo stand denn was von Hamburg? O_o Die Richtung ist nämlich total falsch. Ich bin hier in Süd-Thüringen, und das eigentlich schon seit eh und je :D

Sorry for the lengthy rant :)

----------

Maestral
Sounds interesting... BUT... right now is a really bad time to start working on such a project since I'm already involved in a game project (which I've spent far too little time on lately) and I tend to get distracted by all kinds of other things easily. I've spent some time on 2d animation with Spine (that skinny walking dude several posts back) when I bought the license a few months ago and know that this requires time and effort. The project we were going to make back then was put on hold though, making way for the current game and frame-by-frame pixel animation instead of the key-frame/skeleton/skin system. I need this and some other stuff out of the way before I dive into other projects. Wouldn't be fair to say I'm in and then leave you hanging because I simply don't have the time to work on everything at once. Hope that's okay for you.

----------

edit
Forgot to mention this... Here's something I stumbled upon on my hard drive. It's a little svg I made some time ago to show some differences between combine path and merging paths via union. I made this for somebody on a German forum but thought I'd translate it and post here too. It's not much but maybe somebody finds this useful nonetheless.

http://www.4shared.com/file/exlvSvuzba/CombinePaths_vs_BooleanUnion.html?

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:46 pm

Well, what can I say ,)

Let me know when your schedule gets less crowded.

Return to “Finished Inkscape Work”