Dillerkind's image pool

Show off your finished Inkscape work.
brynn

Re: Dillerkind's image pool

Postby brynn » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:24 am

! I suppose that pink weasley looking animal is some fanticized kind of pet? It's just adorable....in a creepy sort of way!

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:26 am

Maestral
Hahaha, fashion details... It's really just a small band with tiny skulls printed onto. Not the most original idea I've ever had but when I made this I thought it would fit well with the heart-shaped skull&cross-bones detail on the tie and the ripped stockings. You know, some sort of wannabe-punk-ish look :) Anyway, thanks for your comment, Dan!

brynn
Heya.. Actually it's not a fantasy creature but a mole rat called Rufus. He's a character (or the pet of a character) in the Kim Possible cartoon series. Kinda funny in the show while mole rats in real life look somewhat.. erm.. special... If you haven't seen them, do a web search and you'll know what I mean ;)
... My blog ... << Come visit me :) >> ... My thread ...

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:04 pm

Some of you may remember the little teaser I posted months ago. This one was postponed again and again but now I finally got around to finishing it. For the most part it's the same mix of pen-tool and gradients I always use. Just thought I'd add some blur on the background/scenery, combined with a mask to make some simple depth-of-field effect, where everything but the area around the car is more or less heavily blurred. Nothing super fancy or physically correct or whatnot but I think the effect still looks kinda neat.

Detail shot of the manufacturer emblem. Yep, that's IMC - Inkscape Motor Cars. Awesome, ain't it? :D

jabiertxof

Postby jabiertxof » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:58 am

Impresionant!

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:46 am

Thanks jabier!

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:10 am

Small preview of two old pieces that I began working on in Freehand MX years ago, and am currently reworking. I'll post a comparison of the old and new versions once these are finished.

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:52 pm

The pics above will be a bit postponed because... of this new one. This is just a (somewhat silly) alternative version for the Inkscape 0.91 about-screen contest, in which I didn't participate. Didn't have any good idea in time, but decided to post at least this slightly late pseudo-entry :D The main version can be seen in my latest blog post.

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:54 pm

Obviously not entirely vector but I wanted to post this nonetheless. That's me with some not-so-permanent (read: virtual Inkscape'd) face tattoo :D A little something that's been on my to-do-list for quite a while. I had a lot of fun making this :)

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:16 pm

Hello friends and visitors. It took (yet again) quite a while from the tiny teaser to the finished pic but here it is. Based on an old sketch from 2006, reworked in 2014 :D The original version line-work can be seen in my current blog post. Hope you like...

brynn

Postby brynn » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:05 am

Aahh, can't do without our dose of Dillerkind/ey-sevntura artwork, every couple of weeks or so!

I suppose you just don't get as inspired to draw male characters in provocative poses? Who knows -- maybe open up a whole new "target demographic" (as they say)? Image Also, love your nature type drawings -- maybe another new set of fans?!

As for this last one -- I'm inspecting those curtains closely. One of these days, I'll learn how to draw fabrics/clothing/folds....."textiles" I guess.

Almost has to be Hamlet, right? Although I guess there's no female character.....I'm dreadfully bad on Shakespeare -- facts or trivia either one :o

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:46 am

Hey brynn..
No, I don't get inspired by "males in provocative poses". I do draw males, but usually they're more the cool dude, ugly dude, angry dude, weird dude type, whereas I save the provocative/fancy/sexy stuff for the ladies. Just personal preference ;D But what do you mean, "nature type drawings"?

As for Hamlet and Shakespeare in general... I'm afraid I can't really help you with details since I don't know much about these myself. Romeo and Juliet is pretty much the only one of his works I ever read (had to read it back in school). When I drew the sketch years ago I didn't even have this specific scene in mind. However, when I reworked it recently it occurred to me that people might come up with the comparison, which is why eventually I came up with the idea of that stage background. Seems like I was quite right with my assumption, since I've read lines like yours on other sites as well..

Fabrics and folds... An interesting topic and a fun one, I want to add. It can be difficult to depict it realistically, depending on what kind of material you're trying to draw. One book I've read was by some Burne Hogarth and named "Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery". Now, I've read some negative reviews and I understand that his style might not be appealing to everybody. But nonetheless the book covers lots of different types of folds and materials and has lots of pics to look at. Maybe this will help you. Then, of course, you could always go and experiment on your own. Take some piece of cloth (a towel or blanket maybe, or random clothes), arrange it in some way, throw it over other objects and see how the cloth "flows" to get a general idea of how this all works. The basics aren't that hard, I think :) Maybe I could put together a small example later. It's just so wide-spread a topic that I can't really decide on what to put into it or where to begin...

Anyway, thanks for your comment :)

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:11 am

Coming up soon... hopefully :D

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:34 pm

"nature type drawings"?

Somewhere, way back near the beginning of this thread, there was a drawing, maybe poster, iir as a gift for someone. Trees, grass, possibly little pond, possibly little horse/pony.... I don't remember for sure, lots of green. But mostly we see the nature stuff - trees, mountains, etc., as backgrounds, in your work. Anyway, I just like the style!

Oh, thanks for the info on that book. I'll make note of it. Probably can't be found online (I mean the content - I'm sure it's sold at all the online bookstores), but I'll search anyway. And yes, the real life model is always the best!

Always appreciate your comments as much as admire your work :D

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:43 am

I'm happy to hear : )

----------

Here's something small that has been lying around in my wip folder for a while... Nothing overly exciting but I wanted to finish it off anyway.

ha1flosse

Postby ha1flosse » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:10 am

..funny rodent!

Dillerkind

Dynamic masks

Postby Dillerkind » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:37 pm

Hehe.. yeah :D

----------

Here's a little something I put together today. It shows one way to have complex masks that can be edited in real-time without having to bother with setting/releasing the mask over and over again. This has possibly been covered by somebody else before, haven't really checked. But maybe some of you will still find it useful. For the svg file, click the image.

It's not a step-by-step tutorial but I tried to explain things as good as possible. If you still have questions, just ask. And yes, I'm fully aware that there are issues with perspective, as well as the lighting/shading. It's just a quickly put together little something so bear with me :D

Cheers
Last edited by Dillerkind on Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

brynn

Postby brynn » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:42 pm

Wow, early holiday gift for us!!

This is something I've been trying to learn how to do -- clone a layer. Does that mean select everything in the layer and clone it? I don't think so. I know how to duplicate a layer. But how to clone a layer?? I'm not seeing how :-(

edit - maybe use XML Editor??

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:35 pm

There may be another way which I haven't seen yet.. but yes, you can use the xml editor to select the desired layer itself. When selected, you'll see one selection rectangle (bounding box) around everything on this layer, instead of one around every single object. Now simply clone it and, if desired, move it onto another layer. This is a bit of a makeshift solution but it does the trick.

Mind you, as I wrote in the svg, you don't need to clone a layer for the purpose of a complex mask. A standard (non-layer) group of objects works just as fine. I simply don't like to have to enter groups again and again every time I want to add/change something and hence decided to go with the layer approach.

brynn

Postby brynn » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:25 pm

I simply don't like to have to enter groups again and again every time I want to add/change something and hence decided to go with the layer approach.

Oh, that totally makes sense! I just need to study your file some more. I completely understand the concept and the need, in an abstract way. But I have to look for ways to use it in my own work. I haven't used masks a lot, and I'm not sure exactly why, except that maybe I'm just in the habit of using blurs and gradients and clips instead. The mask is such an awesome concept for raster graphics. But with Inkscape, the filters and gradients come in so handy. Ha! I should study my own resources, and look for some masking tutorials!

Thanks again for sharing your ideas!

Dillerkind

Re: Dynamic masks

Postby Dillerkind » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:02 pm

I admit that this example wasn't the best use case for masks, since shading can be done straight forward with the tools you mentioned. But maybe this second example makes more sense (even though it's pretty messy and quickly thrown together :D ). Imagine you're finally going to do that awesome fantasy piece you've been wanting to do for years... You know, giant dragon with scaly skin, gnarled trees, etc. Using tons of textures and patterns for the dragon's skin, tree bark, rocks, dirt on the ground and so on. And of course you want those to be more visible/strong in certain areas and less in others. Now this can be pretty tricky to do without masks.

I'm not trying to talk you into using masks when you don't really need them. Just give it a try at some point. They can be a really powerful tool :)

----------

Alright, and since I'm here already... here's a preview of my current w.i.p.

Last edited by Dillerkind on Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

toxigames

Postby toxigames » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:50 am

Wow, this is extremely awesome art. Just looking at these images make me feel good. so wonderful style and colors. And it feels like there's a little story for each picture. Amazing stuff.

Espermaschine

Postby Espermaschine » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:31 am

so how do i select a whole layer (in the xml editor) ?

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:38 am

^--- By clicking on the layer at the document structure, where it says:

Code: Select all

<svg:g id="layer..." inkscape:label="layer name">

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:50 pm

toxigames
Hehe, I'm pleased to hear that my stuff makes you feel good :) About the "little story for each picture": nope, unfortunately there's no such thing. I hardly ever think "beyond the boundaries" of an image. Never really had good ideas that could be used in a story or comic or something along those lines. But I haven't entirely given up the hope that one fine day I might make something like this. Guess we'll have to wait and see... :D

Anyway, thanks a lot for your nice comment!

Espermaschine
Lazur already answered that question (thanks mate!)

The only small think I want to add is that often times I have to click on a layer more than once in order to really select it. On first click it usually just selects the line in the xml editor but doesn't really select the contents of the layer. Clicking something else first, then the desired layer eventually shows the selection/bounding box of the entire layer content and only then I can apply filters or whatever to the layer. Not sure if this just happens on my computer or not but it's really a very minor issue anyway.

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:32 pm

Yet another work-in-progress.

Little off-topic note: recently I stumbled upon a little program called MagicaVoxel, that is -as the name implies- used to create voxel shapes/images. So far I've just made two little test pieces but if anybody's interested, they're in my blog.

Return to “Finished Inkscape Work”