Dillerkind's image pool

Show off your finished Inkscape work.
Dillerkind

Re: Dillerkind's image pool

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:56 pm

Oh.. hahaha, nah that's not what I was referring to. Not that I had anything at all in mind :D But these rock formations sure look.. special. Thanks brynn!
... My blog ... << Come visit me :) >> ... My thread ...

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:49 am

Angry gun dude sez "About time you posted an update, man!!"... Over a month without new material is really bad :/ And in case this is of interest for anybody, this one was just added to my RedBubble shop as well.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Definitely a new favorite for me :D
Absolutely explodes with style and character!

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:33 am

Yay! It was a helluva lot of fun to make, too ;) Glad to hear about the new fav. Thanks brynn! :)

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:47 am

Commission for somebody on FurAffinity. His Guild Wars 2 character...

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:51 am

New piece... also available in my store.

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:34 am

Wow, that would be great for campaigns against things that cause oral cancer (smoke, chew, dip, etc) -- yikes!

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:26 pm

Hmpf... and there I thought I had drawn some really really handsome fella.... Maybe I was wrong xD

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:31 am

Hello and happy new year everybody.

Just stopping by to show that I'm not dead... and in fact I'm currently working on a new vector piece. It's still gonna take me some time to finish but here's a crappy little teaser. Not really saying much about the actual image.. but hey, it's just supposed to be a little life-sign.. and hopefully create some curiosity among people out there :D Line-work is done. Gonna start working on colors and shading tomorrow. (click the image for full size)

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:12 pm

Hopefully the last thing before my next REAL pic :D Little isometric-shadows practice I made a couple of months ago. Nothing too exciting but it was fun to do.. and not even very hard thanks to custom grid and snap-to functions. Click the image for full size.. not that it would reveal any further details :D

brynn

Postby brynn » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Interesting! I've had quite a bit of fun with that Isometric Grid myself. It seems almost like cheating sometimes, lol....until you look at the cluster of items bottom right. Placing an object in the shadow of another, and where the shadow of the other object falls across it, is no easy task -- even with the grid! But I have to say, quite different from your usual stuff :D

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:40 am

Haha, yeah.. I suppose it's quite different from the things I usually like to do in Inkscape. And yes, with more complex geometry the construction of correct shadows can become challenging.. especially because of the tons of lines (actual lines for the image as well as guide and stuff) that tend to stack up over time. I hope that one fine day I'll have a brilliant idea for some cool iso stuff, so I can get back to that topic again and do something more impressive :)

Thanks for your comment!

----------

And now, back to something (hopefully) more exciting.. This is my latest piece, just finished today. Some angry redheaded dwarf dude. Hope y'all like :D For those of you interested, check the latest entry in my blog for sketch and outline view.

Johannski

Postby Johannski » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:53 am

Hey Dillerkind,

I just love your shading techniques, and I'm really impressed what you're getting out of Inkscape. I would love to see your workflow, especially how you digitalize your pictures... do you work with mouse or a graphic Tablet?

Your latest drawing: His right arm looks a bit strange... I think that maybe his upper arm is too short compared to the lower one. Anyway colors and shading are perfect!

Echt geile Bilder, die du da machst. Weiter so!

brynn

Postby brynn » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:11 am

If you look through this topic (which I know is getting long) somewhere, he offers links to his website where he explains his workflow. If I recall, Dillerkind has said that he uses a mouse only. It's all such great work though, and worth looking through the whole topic!

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:49 am

Johannski
Heya... Always glad to hear when somebody likes that stuff. As for what I'm getting out of the program.. well, basically I'm a lot more interested in simply putting together my style, rather than showcasing Inkscape's features and possibilities. Other people do a far more impressive job when it comes to doing tricky things and push the software to its limits. I on the other hand usually stick with just a couple of relatively basic tools and techniques. But hey, I'm getting positive feedback so I guess I'm not doing that bad :D

That dwarf's arms sure aren't correct in terms of realistic anatomy. Also, his upper body is a bit twisted and bent to the right side of the image, hence making the already rather short upper arms look even shorter. Comparing it to his left arm I think they're rather equal in length. But then again, I've been looking at this for so many hours that I probably just don't see all the minor and major flaws anymore :D

To answer your questions... I don't have a graphics tablet and thus rely on my trusty Logitech mouse. About my workflow.. like brynn already said (btw. thanks brynn, for keeping an eye on my thread while I'm not home! :) ) you could either go through the thread and find the links to my blog, simply follow the one in my signature or I could just repeat what I'm always telling people :D

This is just a quick and not very detailed rundown of how I work:
  • draw and scan the sketch. This then gets imported, moved and scaled to desired position and size and locked so I won't accidentally select it whenever I click on it.
  • create the line-work using the bezier-tool. In the past I used to do this in two steps, "drawing" (not really drawing with mouse.. more like clicking together) line-paths first, which I then turned into filled shapes via the stroke-to-path function. Nowadays I'm still creating filled shapes for my line-art, but I'm skipping the converting-stroke-to-path-step and instead clicking together the filled shapes manually. I've been fiddling around with Powerstroke. In general it's really cool but also a bit clunky to use when you want to create dozens and dozens of lines and have to apply and adjust its settings for every single path. No offense to the devs, it's still a good step in the right direction :)
  • time to throw in the flat color fills.
  • add shadows, usually starting with "flat" shades (solid single-color) and if desired adding gradient shadows afterwards. Shadow layers get a multiply filter.
  • same for highlights. Highlight layers sometimes get a screen filter.
  • that's it for the "main image", i.e. the character. Yep, I'm mostly into characters and my sketches hardly ever contain anything background-related. Hence I have to improvise on background/surrounding stuff. In most cases I end up doing some small piece of scenery like in the images above, or some simple geometric patterns or shapes.
  • if necessary I spice up the colors.

Sooo.. that's it. Pretty simple, isn't it? A few more thoughts I'd like to mention:
  • my layer-setup usually looks something like in this screenshot. I like to keep things on separate layers, locking layers I'm not currently working on. Makes it easier to stay in control of what I'm doing and avoiding to get confused when there are hundreds of paths lying about.
  • I like the auto-palette, a really handy little mechanism. Assigning auto-palette colors/gradients to objects links these objects to the color definition. So whenever I edit one of these definitions, all the objects containing the color will automatically reflect the color change. Really handy, since I don't have to update objects separately (don't even have to select them). Reusing a limited set of color definitions certainly doesn't work for everybody, but for me it sure does.
  • shadow layers are multiplied so that they will actually darken the colors below them, instead of just overlaying them with a color.
  • I like to keep things relatively simple, using only a very small set of the tools and filters Inkscape offers. Multiply and screen filters; bezier and node tools for most of the path work are usually enough to keep me happy. The node tool is in fact almost as versatile as a Swiss army knife, able to edit gradients, standard shapes like circles and rectangles, etc :)
  • enable viewing of path directions! This can be really useful, e.g. when you're combining lots of paths instead of using boolean operations.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Maybe I should place a link to this post in my sig for people asking this very same question. Saves the forum from further word-intensive heavy-weight postings from me :D Anyway, hopefully you got at least a rough idea of my workflow.

Thanks for you comment! Zum Wohl der englisch-sprachigen Masse hab ich das ganze nicht in Muttersprache verfasst... Hoffe es war trotzdem einigermaßen verständlich.

ragstian

Postby ragstian » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:54 am

Hi Dillerkind.

Thanks for workflow rundown. I learned a few new things - the auto-palette feature looks very useful - also have to learn to use the multiplier in filters.

I am very impressed with your images - they got a very distinctive "style" and feel" to them, wish I had just a little of your artistic talent! :D
Does any of your images exist in larger versions? (Even if they have to be paid for.) Some of them would make great wallpapers!

Keep up the good work!
Last edited by ragstian on Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good Luck!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
RGDS
Ragnar

fizzcat

Postby fizzcat » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:40 am

Dillerkind wrote:But then again, I've been looking at this for so many hours that I probably just don't see all the minor and major flaws anymore :D

I get that too. Sometimes if you hold up the picture to a mirror you can see the faults 'cos your eyes see the image almost for the first time. Or If I put the image away for a week or more sometimes I can see where I'm going wrong. Of course sometimes just showing the image to someone else can help. Many times someone has pointed out a fault in one of my drawings - and all of a sudden I can see it - How did I not see that before?

Great work Dillerkind

Fizzcat

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:05 pm

ragstian
Hi there.

Glad if you you could get something out of it. About the multiply filter.. well, there's really not that much to learn about this filter (when compared to more complex ones that is). It basically darkens the underlying colors and also giving them a tint of the color you're multiplying. Now in my shadow example, if you're making the shadow only semi-transparent without the filter, the objects below will not necessarily be darkened down. Instead this will result in a mash-up of both objects' colors. Just try it out and see for yourself, if you haven't already done so :)

Concerning wallpapers.. At the moment there are two of my pics available in different sizes/aspect ratios, that Spongebob piece and the fella with the Inkscape graffiti. You can get them in my dA gallery. Maybe I'll add more at some point.

And last but not least.. Thanks a lot for the compliment and feedback. I appreciate it!

fizzcat
Yeah, I know that mirror thing... Funny that you mention it because that's what I'm doing veeeery often. In fact, in most of my vector pieces I'm using a mirrored clone of the drawing to spot the worst flaws. I use this mostly for the line-art stage of progress but it can, of course, also be helpful later on. I just put everything I want to show up in the mirrored version under one parent layer and then clone that entire layer. I dare to say that this is almost better than a real mirror and a lot easier to handle, as you can have both versions right next to each other and still work on the image. Simple yet effective and saves me the time to export to png and mirror the png all the time :D

Thanks to you, too!

fizzcat

Postby fizzcat » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:56 am

Dillerkind wrote:Yeah, I know that mirror thing... Funny that you mention it because that's what I'm doing veeeery often.

:) It is so cool to find someone else who does that!

I just put everything I want to show up in the mirrored version under one parent layer and then clone that entire layer.

:shock:

Am going to try that right now .....

Best
Fizzcat

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:34 am

Hehe, yeah try it. Just make sure to select the layer in question via the xml editor. You'll notice when it's selected when there's one big bounding box surrounding ALL the objects of this layer, including sub-layers. You might have to select something else in the editor first. For me at least this is the case since most times when I try to select the layer directly it doesn't show the bounding box and the whole thing won't work. Though, clicking on another layer first and the desired layer next works fine.

Not sure if there's a different (i.e. less "behind-the-scenes") way to select entire layers. This is just how I do these kind of things. But then I guess this goes along quite well with some other odd things I like to do :D

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:58 am

Heya boys 'n girls. Please take a minute to read the following paragraph :)

Some of you may or may not have noticed that some of my stuff was featured on Libre Graphics World a little while ago. The article was also posted on Inkscape's Google+ site, where some people were wondering if I might do some video tutorial or something. Now, I don't have a G+ account and don't plan to get one anytime soon. But I was wondering how much interest there might be in me doing some tutorial or whatever. I'm not talking about a video, since this would only show me pushing nodes, path segments and gradient handles for hours and most likely bore people to death. What I might do instead is a pic which I'd post as svg so those of you interested can take a look "behind the scenes" and check out how I'm usually organizing my projects, color palettes, etc. Don't expect to see anything really exciting because, like I always point out, I'm only using basic tools. No awesome stuff, no fancy advanced techniques, just a lot of basic click-work.

If there's enough interest I'll think about something nice to put together at some point. Opinions anybody?

zero six

Postby zero six » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:26 pm

I am interested. :D

I like every of your drawings, from the sketch and character creation to vectorize them all with inkscape, coloring and all your style in it.
To be honest, I was thinking to ask to see one of your svg file if you don't mind, but don't know how to ask it.

as you mention on your previous post that you're only using basic tools, that makes me interested more.
I'm also using basic tools only since I don't know any advanced techniques (also because I'm not so good at art :D ).

by the way, do you know svgbuild from this viewtopic.php?f=8&t=849?
It could create videos from svg file.
I think maybe it could be useful and produce great videos from all of your drawings.
Study study study

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:40 pm

O-M-G-!!!
Are you kidding?! I'm sure that there would be loads of interest!!

Specifically I think people would be interested in your drawing process, from sketch, to vectorizing it, to your choice and creation of color palette, to your special way of adding shadows and highlights. More than Inkscape tools and techniques, I think your process would be especially helpful for budding artists. Although tools and techniques would be great too. Personally I think....well, clearly you're a gifted artist, but your backgrounds are to die for! If you don't mind my suggestion, I think a short series of tuts which produce a few different varieties of backgrounds would be interesting as well.

Personally I prefer written tutorials. It's just too much of a pain to "rewind" those video tutorials 6 or 8 times, to understand a certain step. With a written tutorial, you just have to move your eyes to go back and review something.

Also on an even more personal note, I'm in the process of putting together a collection of tutorials for a new website I'm making. I'd certainly be happy to include any tuts that you might make (via link to its page on your blog) if it's ok with you.

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:42 pm

zero six
Hehe, the question to ask for an svg could have been "Could you perhaps post some of your source (svg) files?".. or something along those lines. However, the answer would most likely have been No. Not because I'm an ass but because I wouldn't feel comfortable giving certain things away. Now, if I make an svg with a public upload later on in mind, that would be different. Don't ask.. I'm an odd fella :D

Never heard of svgbuild. Never really looked for tutorial videos either. And like I said before, there's not much to show in a video, other than lots of tedious path editing. Btw. what's "good" in terms of art anyway? Art is such a relative thing. What's super-duper-awesome for one, might be total crap for somebody else. And if you feel you're not good yet, you gotta practice (more). Try to work on certain aspects, one after another. Get references, read up on things you don't understand yet, ask questions, and practice practice practice! Yeah I know, that's a very generic and esoteric advice but it's pretty much the best I can give. And it's what I'm doing myself. There's no shortcut to awesomeness. You gotta work hard for it.. But hey, isn't that the driving force that keeps us going? That keeps us working hard to improve on our skills? :)

brynn
O-M-G-!!!
Are you kidding?! I'm sure that there would be loads of interest!!

Actually no, I wasn't kidding. And for the "loads of interest", well, that's what I want to find out. The reason I was asking is that I wouldn't want to do an in-depth tutorial. I'd prefer to provide an svg so whoever is interested can take a look at how things look internally. I'd probably add comments and annotations where necessary (a bit like source code examples in programming). But other than that people would still have to dig through the file and think for themselves, instead of me holding their hand and guiding them through one step after another. Like I said before, I'm mostly working with the bezier and node tools. Not much to say about these, since I think they're very basic things to use and self-explanatory. My way of working is kind of brute-force, not very elegant or efficient but it works.. sort of.. :D

Btw. funny that you mentioned my backgrounds. They are the most random/un-planned element in all my pics. With very few exceptions my sketches don't contain any background related information so that I'm usually forced to make something up on-the-fly. This mostly takes time and the will to experiment, rather than actual skill or knowledge. Hard to tell people how I'm making these. Basically it's just more of the same old click-work :/

And btw. again, I totally agree with you in terms of video tutorials. Rewinding over and over again can quickly become frustrating. And if whatever I might be able to put together can help you or others, go ahead and add it to the tutorial site.

brynn

Postby brynn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:25 pm

I'm sure that whatever you might want to share will be appreciated :D

Return to “Finished Inkscape Work”