Dillerkind's image pool

Show off your finished Inkscape work.
ha1flosse

Re: Dillerkind's image pool

Postby ha1flosse » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:15 am

Dillerkind wrote:You're right in that the hair doesn't look very natural or realistic. I guess it's influenced by your typical manga/anime style, mixed with other influences. I don't know.. I'm struggling with hair in every single picture I make. Haven't really found "my way" yet, though I have to admit that I'm relatively happy with how things look right now. This, of course, may change over time.

the style of the hair is nice, its just a matter of taste - never mind. a wise man said once - your way is under your feet ;) .

your approaches in creating games are pretty interesting. nice artwork, funny characters - would be cool to see that potential realize. i'll try the game engine of blender. its pretty easy to use for total programming noobs like me, has some nice features and i think is adequate for the first steps. read about a nice sprite example for animated sprites in blender game engine lately and the logic-brick-system is awesomely easy to use...

dachte hätte irgendwo hamburg gelesen - sorry - also grüße nach süd-thüringen.

cheerio

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:29 am

Ah, Blender... I haven't tried this for games but have seen some 2d sprite tutorials. Among them was probably the one you mentioned as well :) At some point I tried Blender for some simple 3d text stuff I needed done. IIRC I found the ui a bit confusing. To be fair I have to mention though that I didn't spend a whole lot of time with the program. Anyway, I wish you good luck and maximum success with your project.
... My blog ... << Come visit me :) >> ... My thread ...

ha1flosse

Postby ha1flosse » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:38 pm

yeah.. had a look at the references for game engine in the blenderartists forums and there was a working example with zipped .blend-file: http://www.blenderartist.org/forum/show ... ded!/page2

first time i used blender, it seemed confusing to me too. but retrospectively i think that impression arises because of blenders' complexity. you can do a lot of things with blender, 2d/3d - modelling; animation; video cut; games are just a few possibilities to use blender for. so the gui is packed with interfaces to access the huge amount of options you have working with blender, maybe that's why it seems to be confusing while using it for the first time. like a forest with thousands of trees - the first time you walk through, every corner looks the same and you don't know where you are, second time walking through it, you have some reference points and its getting less confusing.

so i already made a game character (uv-textures created exclusively with inkscape):

creating game logic with the brick-system is pretty easy and fun, having the fish swim around yet in game engine was just 5 - click - task. so i am pretty excited about taking the next steps.

cheerio

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:17 pm

Uh, looks pretty fancy. Though I've got to look into this again later, since I'm too tired right now. Btw I like your forest example but trust me, it'd take me more than just two times to find some reference points. I'm a total (dis-)orientation idiot ;D

----------

And here's something I finished earlier today. Wanted to post this before I went to bed. In this pic I was trying a slightly less comical look (no, I refuse to say more realistic). Silly stuffed toys and generic patterns for the win!

brynn

Postby brynn » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:53 pm

Off topic:
Dillerkind wrote:edit
Forgot to mention this... Here's something I stumbled upon on my hard drive. It's a little svg I made some time ago to show some differences between combine path and merging paths via union. I made this for somebody on a German forum but thought I'd translate it and post here too. It's not much but maybe somebody finds this useful nonetheless.

http://www.4shared.com/file/exlvSvuzba/CombinePaths_vs_BooleanUnion.html?

Was that the German Inkscape forum (inkscape-forum.de) by any chance? I need to contact an admin (one of which may or may not be Coco, I'm not sure). I just want to make sure all Inkscape forums are linked from this page: http://inkscape.org/en/learn/. If it is inkscape-forum.de, would you be able to ask them for me, whether they'd like to be listed, since I don't read or write German? I've tried using Google and Bing to translate, but it looks like I'll have to register, to be able to contact an admin. (Previous attempts to contact Coco failed.)

If it wasn't inkscape-forum.de, then never mind. And thanks anyway!

All best :D

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:41 pm

Hey brynn... No, it was on inkscape-user.de. Coco was the head of this board but sadly it doesn't exist anymore. I'm not registered on the other website. Translating to/from German via Google translate doesn't rock. I've tried it a few times in the past but found the results to be ranging from funny-but-somewhat-understandable to totally-useless.

I noticed though that ha1flosse has an account on inkscape-forum.de. Maybe he can ask their admins in your stead.

ha1flosse

Postby ha1flosse » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:13 pm

beautiful pic, very sexy indeed! you're right to refuse to say "realistic", better say the style is more "sophisticated". i like both looks, the less and the more comic look, your style is nice anyway.

i'll ask the people from inkscape-forum.de if this is still necessary. according to the forums website there is also a freenode-irc-channel - will visit the channel later again as there is no activity now.

cheerio

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:29 pm

Thank you. I'm really glad you like my little homegrown style. And thanks for jumping in on that other matter. I'd ask them myself if I had an account. It's just that I don't want to create one for just that purpose. While looking for a way to contact their admins (and clicking through a few random topics) I saw your username.. That's all.. :)

brynn

Postby brynn » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:30 am

Dillerkind wrote:Hey brynn... No, it was on inkscape-user.de. Coco was the head of this board but sadly it doesn't exist anymore. I'm not registered on the other website. Translating to/from German via Google translate doesn't rock. I've tried it a few times in the past but found the results to be ranging from funny-but-somewhat-understandable to totally-useless.

I noticed though that ha1flosse has an account on inkscape-forum.de. Maybe he can ask their admins in your stead.

Thanks anyway!

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:25 am

Off topic:
Oops -- somehow I missed your message ha1flosse. But I got your email. Thanks for your help!

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:47 pm

Teaser time :)

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:04 am

Hey gang... Here's the finished piece. Funky hoods for the win! There's a slightly dirtier version in my blog ;)

Johannski

Postby Johannski » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Hahaha, you got me. I was immediatly heading to your blog, really dirty!

I'm totally not sure, what she is wearing there on her head, but it looks kind a cool. I think that a different hair color would help, you lost a lot of detail there, because everything is so dark (At least with my display).
Even though I like the background, I think the setting where she is in, could be more related to what she is wearing, I think this could help to give the viewer an understanding of your deisgn choices.

Other than that, I can just repeat myself: High quality and great level of detail (I especially like her left foot, really well done). Very nice work!

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:07 pm

Hey.. You're right with the hair color. It looked fine on my main display but appears way darker on the one connected to the internet rig I'm using right now.

The background is, like in 90% of my pics, just some randomly set up scene. My focus has always been on the characters and in the past they were in fact the only things I drew. Nowadays I don't like having a single character on a white/empty background and thus try to fill in something. Usually this turns out as some small piece of grassy landscape or wall or something. You're absolutely right in that it could/should have been something that fitted the character better but truth is I couldn't think of something else. Believe it or not but I'm not a very creative person, and especially when it comes to scenes and stuff. Poor excuse, huh?

Thanks for your feedback!

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:49 am

Thank you.... though looking at the link in the sig I can't help but feeling that you're just a bot spreading dubious links O_o

jasonteunissen

Postby jasonteunissen » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:13 pm

Dear mr Dillerkind

Was browsing Inkscape forums, seeing what everyone is making
Your stuff is really amazing. I've been using inkscape for a couple of years now, and starting to get a grasp of it.
Was wondering if you have a dribbble account? (If not i have an invite if your interested)

keep up the awesome work!

Jason Teunissen
www.dribbble.com/jasonteunissen

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Thu May 01, 2014 9:07 pm

Heya Jason..

I've been using Inkscape for a couple of years too. Guess you could say that I'm also just starting to get a grasp of it.. or more specifically: so far I've only been using very few of the countless possibilities, tools and features it has to offer.
As for dribbble... nope, don't have an account. To be honest I haven't even heard of that site before. I'll go check it out at some point.

Thanks for the compliment and you keep up the good work too! :)
sven

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Wed May 28, 2014 5:33 pm

kukuku... Little teaser of things to come. Let me just say that much: it's gonna be MANLY! :D

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:39 pm

Fluffy again. I decided to start working on another piece and postpone the one from above a little bit. Sketch was very incomplete so a lot of improvisation was required. Colors aren't final (although I really like them), face patterns and jewelry will probably be extended and I haven't decided whether I want to go with flat or smooth shading. Two months without new Inkscape works is definitely too much. Need to finish this soon :)

Y'all have a nice weekend!

Johannski

Postby Johannski » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:38 am

I like her face, especially the eyes have a cool effect. Even though there is a lot of detail at her ear (the fur paths), I don't really like it that much right now. For once it is superhuge and feels not too attached to the head (I think her head would feel more realistic without the ear) and secondly the ears has way more details and almost seems like a different style than the rest of the picture. I'm not sure about the shading, both styles always look fantastic in your works, so do what ever feels right for you ;)

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:20 pm

Thanks Jo! I've made some changes to the hair and the ear. It's still that big but I think it doesn't look as "unattached" any longer. The hair (which was still unfinished in this teaser) now has lines like everything else and was also pulled back a bit further above the ear. Head position and size were adjusted as this looked off previously, as well as part of the jacket/shoulder/collar (of course you couldn't see this in the teaser). Should be better now. I'm ready now to work on the shading.. probably gonna be a mix of both flat and smooth shading, as in most of my recent stuff.

As for the eyes.. haha, well so far it's really just a bunch of ellipses stacked on one another, one eye color with different levels of opacity and the pupil reusing the lash color. Hmm, come to think of it.. Maybe I'll put together a little example document to show how I usually make and use eyes in Inkscape.

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:04 am

Pfff, this should have been done like two weeks ago. Erm yeah anyway, I finished it today. The background was exported separately and blurred externally, since I was getting weird blocky artifacts in Inkscape. Other than that it's my usual mix of heavy pen-tool usage and gradients. Hope you like it :)

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Next one... I decided to go with rather limited shading on the character.. not really "flat" shaded but close enough. Besides that it's all pen-tool + gradient fun, as usual :)

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:00 am

Forgot to post this. It's just a variant of the last pic that I made shortly after the original.

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:40 am

Your treatment of fabrics and texture is excellent but the skirt on the last one is unusually delicate. Along with the fashion details on socks.
Compliments.
:tool_zoom: <<< click! - but, those with a cheaper tickets should go this way >>> :!:

Return to “Finished Inkscape Work”