Dillerkind's image pool

Show off your finished Inkscape work.
brynn

Re: Dillerkind's image pool

Postby brynn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:41 am

I had much the same reaction, and immediately located info in the manual: http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL ... r-Swatches and http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL ... omSwatches

Basically, you create a new palette for each image. Oooorrr.....I think you can create a custom palette, but I don't know if you can have an auto palette connected to a default doc (i.e. all new docs).

It's a great feature, and quite well suited to Dillerkind's style. I tend more towards realistic drawings, and in my workflow, it would be too laborious.

Mathieu147

Postby Mathieu147 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:49 pm

Why the hell didn't anybody told me this feature existed!??!!?! This is something I've seen in Xara and have been looking for in Inkscape for years and I always tought that when this would be available, I would know it because it would be written in the release notes.

That's why one should always read the manual :mrgreen:

I use Inkscape 0.48 on Ubuntu 12.04.
English is not my natural language so excuse my mistakes.

~suv

Postby ~suv » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:57 pm

Mathieu147 wrote:(…) and I always tought that when this would be available, I would know it because it would be written in the release notes.

Inkscape 0.48 Release Notes > Custom Swatches

(Note: there are still some unsolved issues with custom swatches/Auto-palette (performance e.g. when gradient-editing on-canvas, custom swatches are always forked for copy&pasted objects, etc).)

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:36 am

There's nothing in that palette when you open a new document. You have to fill it with something yourself. This can easily be done in the properties window where you set an object's fill/line colors and such. In this window you've got a number of buttons for setting solid color, linear and radial gradient and, here's the important part, one that lets you add a swatch to the (auto-)palette. So all you have to do is to set a desired color and add it via this button. Don't worry if the color isn't quite right at first. This can easily be changed afterwards via right-click -> edit on the color palette.

Sorry if I got some of the actual window/button names a bit wrong. I don't have Inkscape on this computer and don't remember every tiny bit since I don't actually read such things very often. Hope this helps anyway :)
... My blog ... << Come visit me :) >> ... My thread ...

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:30 pm

Aww crap! When I wrote my last comment/reply I didn't notice that somebody else had already answered the question on the next page... My bookmark on this thread still pointed to page 3 :D

brynn wrote:Basically, you create a new palette for each image. Oooorrr.....I think you can create a custom palette, but I don't know if you can have an auto palette connected to a default doc (i.e. all new docs).

It's a great feature, and quite well suited to Dillerkind's style. I tend more towards realistic drawings, and in my workflow, it would be too laborious.

Just set up an auto palette in a document and save a copy of that document in the template folder. Now you can use File->New->[my-super-cool-default-auto-palette-document] like you do with every other document template and have that set of predefined colors ready for use ;)

And yes, the auto-palette might not be your first choice for realism stuff where you might need tons of color tones. I like to compare this way of working with making pixel-art, where you (usually) work with a fixed/limited palette, as well. Personally I'm not much into realism but like to do some pixel-art every now and then. So I guess that's why I love the auto-palette :) And like I was saying before, I like to keep different things on separate layers and usually have every layer but the one I'm currently working on locked. Now if I want to adjust colors of certain objects on different layers (which I do quite often) I'd have to unlock the layers, select the objects and then adjust their color. This can get annoying pretty soon. Assigning colors from the auto-palette, I can simply edit the palette entry and every single object sharing that color gets adjusted automatically, without the need to ever locate and/or select one of these objects. Well, this works great for me. But there are other ways, of course. Everybody should use whatever way works best for them.

~suv wrote:Note: there are still some unsolved issues with custom swatches/Auto-palette (performance e.g. when gradient-editing on-canvas, custom swatches are always forked for copy&pasted objects, etc).

Gradient-editing performance indeed does degrade over time. If I remember correctly the copy&paste issue doesn't occur when objects are duplicated instead of copying/pasting them.

Mathieu147 wrote:That's why one should always read the manual :mrgreen:

Honestly, who reads complete manuals (especially each time when new versions of programs are released)? Well, at least I don't. Manuals are a nice thing to have if I can't figure something out on my own. That's when I use them..

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Hello boys and girls... Time for an update. Here's a little Red Riding Hood, including a kind and happy wolf for my sister's business rooms :)

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:52 am

Excellent one.
You have a very interesting palette and shading is really nice, still I would add some more contrast to the whole thing or just widen the palette`s brightness a bit more.

p.s.
Have you seen this one or perhaps this one suits your image more?
Last edited by Maestral on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
:tool_zoom: <<< click! - but, those with a cheaper tickets should go this way >>> :!:

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:15 am

You're absolutely right... The colors/palettes I use, could often use more contrast and/or saturation. That's just the way I like them but from a more objective point of view it's rather sub-optimal :D
I don't know that video. Gotta watch it later when I've got a bit more patience. Thanks for the link and your comment!

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:03 am

Teaser Time.. YAY!! Well okay, it's not exactly finished yet.. but I don't feel like starting and updating several threads :D

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:50 am

Just a quick update to show I'm not dead and neither is this thread :D Later than expected I've picked up work on the image above. Most of the work is done, just need to think of a random background, as usual.

And this brings me to a question that popped up earlier today. I've noticed this in several of my images before: some of the objects' edges appear rather jagged and "unclean" as compared to most others. I've searched the web but all I found was answers about filter usage and stuff. Since I don't really use filters (apart from one multiply filter that isn't even applied to the objects in question) I'm still stuck on what to do about this. It's not only showing when viewing the file in Inkscape, but also when exporting to png. First I thought I made have screwed up the style attribute or some such. But it's exactly the same as on all other objects on that layer (which look fine). Even if I entirely burn all style information and the style attribute itself and then set it up again, things still look this way. This seems to happen to rather "vertical-ish" shapes mostly so one could speculate the anti-aliasing doesn't work too well on these. But then, like I said, it doesn't occur on all objects with rather steep segments. Totally puzzled...

It's not a severe issue but these 2, 3 ugly fellas in an image with otherwise smoothly anti-aliased lines surely pop out :/ Anybody else ever noticed this?

druban

Postby druban » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:31 am

Hi D, could you post a screenshot, and also mention what version of Inkscape you are using? If you cut and paste the objects into another file and it still displays jagged could you post that smaller file and I could see if some other v of Inkscape might display it smoothly
Your mind is what you think it is.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:20 am

Yes, an example would help. I have noticed some unusual jaggedness on almost vertical or almost horizonatal lines (or portions of lines) but not sure if that's what you're seeing.

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:42 pm

druban
Hey. I've been using the Windows version 0.48.3.??? for about two weeks now. Since this occurred in the past as well, I don't think this is connected to this specific version though. I don't have Inkscape installed on this computer so I have to remember putting together an example file or shot later.. in case this problem continues to show.
Btw, just out of curiosity.. Are you an official Inkscape help team member or "only" an experienced user? I've seen you offer help, advice and often times even example files in other threads and was wondering :)

brynn
Yeah, this sounds pretty much like what I'm seeing... And like I said above, if I don't get rid of this I'm going to put together a file.

I have been looking into this a bit more myself. As already pointed out, it appears this has to do with almost vertical/horizontal lines or segments of such. But this doesn't occur just everywhere. In fact in every case I noticed this it only affected very few paths (open or closed, filled, with or without outline... didn't matter). This does seem to happen when there's no object directly below the object in question. With directly below I mean in the same layer or set of layers, i.e. layers below the one with the jagged paths but belonging to the same parent layer. Now if I put a filled shape behind the path in question, this seems to help to some degree, especially with darker colored shapes. Or maybe it's just my imagination? :? Confusing....

Anyway... Thanks you two! Your help and support is much appreciated. I'll update with more solid facts, hopefully :D

druban

Postby druban » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:52 am

Dillerkind wrote:Since I don't really use filters

I can't absolutely be sure but isn't that a slight blur on the white outline? Although there's access through the fill and stroke dialog, you know that any object with a blur is a filtered object, right?

Also, I assume this is only happening on bitmap exports, and I am sure you are right about the antialiasing from the steep angle angle. :D the solution might be to change resolution and try it again to see if it goes away. The only way to change resolution in inkscape (and it would be pointless to change res after the export because the problem would already be there!) is to scale up. I would just select all and use the transform dialog to scale 200% (uncheck the apply to each object separately box!)
Dillerkind wrote:Btw, just out of curiosity.. Are you an official Inkscape help team member or "only" an experienced user?
Just one of the masses :D My help is definitely not official Inkscape help. My name doesn't get highlighted in the forum... I don't even have a profile pic!
Your mind is what you think it is.

brynn

Postby brynn » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:54 am

Off topic:
druban wrote:My name doesn't get highlighted in the forum...

My name only gets highlighted because I volunteered to help keep spam out of forum (approve messages, ban spammers, warn would-be spammers, etc.). I certainly don't possess the Inkscape skills of either druban or Dillerkind. ;)

The jaggedness that I've seen is really only pronounced on zoom levels over 100%. At 100% it's hard to see.

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:59 pm

druban
Just one of the masses.. hehehe.. Well, nothing wrong with that. Like I said, I've seen several of your postings (and I'm not even a regular visitor of the help section) and always thought they "felt" really professional.

Yes, I know that blur is a filter. But no, there's no blur on the white outline in the preview pic above. I don't like blur and hardly ever make use of it. And again no, the jaggedness does not only appear in exported bitmaps but in Inkscape as well. That's why I thought it is odd. I understand that there can be aliased edges in a bitmap, especially when exporting at very small sizes. But the vector file looks jagged in Inkscape, too... well, at least few objects. It's too damn random. The objects in question simply pop out on pretty much every zoom level.

I guess Inkscape is getting annoyed with my layer hierarchy and some of the wonky things I do with the XML editor and just wants me to put everything in one single group/layer or something :D

----------

Anyway... here's the final of the teaser above. Shirts and stuff added to my store as well, in case somebody's interested.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:33 am

Love - love - love it!
You're so creative with backgrounds. They're always so effective, like a perfect compliment to the main image.
I might have to buy a t-shirt one of these days :D

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:31 pm

Hehehe.. yeah, buy one.. and tell all of your friends that where your shirt came from there are many more of its brothers and sisters :DD

Pretty much all my (drawing) life I've focused on characters. The result was an almost complete lack of ideas (and often times skills) when it comes to scenery and background stuff. Just now that I've made my first steps on digital terrain I've also opened up a bit to such things, i.e. I experiment with backgrounds, colors, shapes, stuff (thanks to the possibility to undo/redo/try out alternatives and such)... I feel I still have a very long way to go, probably even put some actual planning ahead in the background, instead of only clicking together random things after the character is done, like I usually do. But it's fun to fiddle around with these things. And in most cases so far people seemed to like the results, which is really awesome to me.

Thanks for your warm words :)

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Here's something new... Original image on the left, the other two are simply color-adjusted variants made of the exported png.. just for fun.. because I was feeling really creative :D And for completeness' sake, the accompanying blog post can be read here.

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Off topic:
Does the image in this message display the issue you mentioned, about the jagged lines on almost vertical/horizontal lines? viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9346&start=25#p37344 That's what I meant, that I see sometimes. Especially the thin line simulating the edge of the paper sleeve/cover?

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Hmm... yeah, that's about what I got in my line-arts. Only for black/dark lines on light background, which made it look like a 1-bit image in the affected parts :D Slight problem with anti-aliasing, that'd be my best guess.

brynn

Postby brynn » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:49 pm

I'm not sure if it's fixable. But maybe the new renderer when 0.49 comes out, will be better?

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:54 pm

Hmm, guess the only way to find out is to be patient and see what's coming :)

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:04 am

Finally! I already began to fear that I'd never finish this thing. A larger version, as well as a screenshot of the outline mode (chaotic snapshot is chaotic :D) can be seen in my blog. Just click the image :)

brynn

Postby brynn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:06 am

Oh wow! Hiking in Colorado? Boulder? Flatirons! http://www.flickr.com/photos/80651083@N ... otostream/, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flat ... edit_2.jpg

Awesome work, as usual :D

Return to “Finished Inkscape Work”