Iterative art

Post unfinished work here for feedback and advise.
Lazur

Re: Op-art-ish and such

Postby Lazur » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:04 am

Click for larger image.

Wondering what kind of an Archimedean spiral could fit in the centre seamlessly.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:49 pm

Now a circle involute constructed from circle sectors.
If I can improve the colours a bit (background too, maybe), then I may upload it to the poster challenge

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:49 am

This time there is no bigger version for the variant, as I didn't like the filter effect zoomed in.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:52 am

Restarting with the Fibonacci spiral, the anti-aliasing issue appears on too many of the previous images.

Now, those are built up only by squares, and gradient fills.

Can give a quick idea on filling possibilities, though the displaying of the gradients still lack alot of accuracy.

Uploaded to openclipart, svg-s linked; containing the original 1000mm high spirals and a 600 px wide "thumbnails".

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:39 pm

A side note on the gradients implementation.

Somehow the % based structure appears too much in general.
Steps not falling to even positions are washed out, and there are not enough colours placed in between the steps for a fluent transition.
Was wondering if that's the renderer's issue, or the svg implementation.

Also made a series of test images a while ago, with a vector blending and a gradiented one for comparison.

spectrum with vector blending

exported @90 dpi

spectrum with gradient

exported @ 90 dpi

Note how the gradient, supposedly having a smooth transition looks less fine than the other one.

Another example image on the issue I made recently, showing the artifact of a gradient step not being positioned at even % value:
https://openclipart.org/detail/203499/gradient-rendering-test-by-lazur-urh-203499

Hope this will be fixed sometime, all gradients would improve alot.
I remember it was suggested somewhere here to blur gradients for a smoother look, but that's just doesn't work for large format printing.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:56 am

Made a bit of research and though the steps placed at uneven percents are washed out, it is much of a 0.48 version's rendering issue.
And other svg renderers as well.

In 0.48 inkscape it seems you cannot create a simple gradient with more than 1024 colour breaks, no matter how many steps you add or where you position them.

This is where I started to investigate the problem, moving step from percent to percent, and the size of each evenly coloured area didn't change once the step was below 50%.

Finally, came to this one:
https://openclipart.org/people/Lazur%20URH/gr3x5.svg

exported with 0.48 @ 180 dpi

To sum it up, any gradient that is more than 1000 px wide, exported @ 90 dpi can have this issue visible.

Edit: tested it on a pre 0.91 release, there the rendering of the gradients is fine.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:11 am

New svg-s:

This time with separate objects, and clipping.
Still there is a rendering issue due to anti-aliasing (?) at the object's edges, but it's getting closer.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:02 pm

The same thing, without clipping.
Note how the transitions between the quarters got sharp from it.
Time to adjust the gradients.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:49 am

Couldn't help much the gradient rendering, but the background is now reworked and blends in with the arches:

A bit more playing with the borders and this one will be production proof.
Not that I like the shape or the colour scheme that much, but I do like how clean it can be built up.
Will see if this is possible with smaller circle sectors.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:25 am

Borders added, can be now printed on a canvas, trimmed and framed.
729 paths build up the seven complete turns.

About 0,6 mm inaccuracy is present in the 1000/1000 mm sized arch.
While the gradients may hold a larger inaccuracy, as the arches were using 12 nodes on a full circle, and gradients use probably 4?
Also, these gradient steps were put in a descending order, but the colours computed in between are based on linear interpolation.

Edit: made one with circle arches that have nodes at every ° turn.
This way, the 0,6 mm inaccuracy is corrected -and the filesize got bigger seven times.
2 MB originally, 14,6 MB the "improved".
Not sure if openclipart would host it without a cut.
Here it is, hope it will stay in it's current quality:

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:25 am

Side track, incorporating the golden ration into "fractals" (made with inkscape):

The original svg was close to 100 MB, no matter the accuracy was dropped heavily in the preferences-svg output.

http://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php?topic=157.msg1109#msg1109

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:32 am

Coloured with four "shifted" logarithmic gradients.
A bit too complicated to add those many small steps.

Again, uploaded to openclipart with original unscaled object, perfect for printing.
Even if the browsers render the gradients badly.
As a matter of fact, though the pre 0.91 version's rendereer shows smooth colour transitions, there is some issue in it.
Showing black areas crossing the shape, which is not present in the current stabile.

And the plain thumbnail sized versions next to eachother:

brynn

Postby brynn » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:14 pm

Very nice - love the colors!

Since you're often so tuned in to tiny blemishes, I'm sure you saw these. But since they are made for printing, I just wanted to mention, in case you did miss it. Or maybe it's something to do with the browser display....or something else?? This is on Firefox.

Rats, no attachments here! I can never remember which forums allow attachments.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:41 pm

I was totally aware of those. It comes from the construction's logic.
This way seemed the most reasonable blending with the rest.

Other possible solution would be to put arcs in the square tile's corner, like a rounded cap for strokes-,
or, to leave those parts out and use a simple background like on some of the previous images above.

The spiral is constructed from it's evolute -separate points in this approximation-, which describes a congurent spiral itself.
There is a gap in between caused by this particular divergence (related to golden ratio) which causes the trouble.

Will try to change the divergence to fill in that gap later.

Here is the mathematical background of logarithmic spirals with identical evolutes. Will be a good source for the future.

Edit: The rounded cap solution requires somewhat symmetrical gradient "segments" it seems.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:04 pm

Another graphical problem: connecting two concentric circles with a smooth tangential curve.
Regular solution would be to use a circle arc for the transition too.
A bit more complicated to use a trochoid -plotted with the spirograph-, but for "smoothness" it is not the best in my opinion.
Knowing such cannot be constructed from a logarithmic spiral, was looking if a clothoid/Euler spiral could be used.
It seems from that animated gif presented there, that the evolute of the clotoid doesn't have an intersection point with itself, so it cannot be used for connecting two concentric circles.

So, these were made from circle evolvents.
As, every circle evolvent's two points with a 360° turn can connect two concentric circles.

(Had some inspiration by that image. Maybe if the transition was only in a 180° turn, it could come out better? That's about this curve's limitation.)

Not a nice solution for anti-aliasing and colouring, but good for a start.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:59 am

Ocal inspirational again:

A remix made from ric5sch's original.

Bit curious how exactly the scaling and the placing could be done in a not totally manual way.
It seems to me there were at least some non-automated actions included, because some of the z-ordering wasn't right and one circle was shifted at the bottom.
Looking good nonetheless.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:08 am

Wow! Really nice, and probably huge file? You should make it larger in size.....maybe sell it as a poster?

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:27 am

Good idea, though I'm bad with marketing.

And with all concerns, that image was only a public domain remix of a public domain file.

Recently I have redrawn the Fibonacci-spiral fractal, and uploaded some variants of it at inkscape's gallery:

The size of two neighboring circle is in golden ratio. The number of the circles in the same size follow the Fibonacci sequence.
Original circle was 1000mm/1000mm, with 21 levels of the sizes, resulting in a 80 MB svg.

Then for the uploads these were scaled down to 500 px, and simplified to only 16 levels (resulting the smallest circle to be around 0,5 px in size. Still a 4,8 MB file, which is still way too large for the upload quota.

This was't take advantage of cloning, using a 12 noded polygon for the circles, and inkscape output setting accuracy set to the max, so it can be shrinked.
On the other side, it can be colourized different for each levels.
Might be possible with clones having undefined fills?
Oh well, this can get really complicated.

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:42 pm

Recently I have redrawn the Fibonacci-spiral fractal, and uploaded some variants of it at inkscape's gallery:

Nice! Glad to hear it :D

Johannski

Postby Johannski » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:27 am

Hey there,

I'm now following your thread for quite some while, and I still have no idea, how you use inkscape, but I'm extremely impressed, by what you upload. Especially the last uploads just look amazing! I love the used colors, I don't know if you always were that good with colors, because the last images didn't feel that beautiful (color-wise), but they are great compositions. I especially like the green white composition :)

Great work, I also love that you try to implement patterns like the golden ratio, makes art a bit more scientific ;)

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:32 am

Thank's for the kind words!

These are drawn manually, I just haven't put a serious effort into coding extensions to generate such images.
Usually I'm trying to choose colours to emphasize the geometry, the shape and the rithm -bright colours with large contrast.
But in these last ones a symbolic aspect was stronger. Like the red-metallic one can refer to an electric guitar and the one below to chocolate sweets.
The downside of this kind of choice is, that it doesn't need any composition or structure at all, a single gradient could more or less generate the same feelings.
Which is a bit of disappointment how the harder part of the work fails over something that easy.
One can even get to nice looking gradients by the dropper tool from a photograph.

Will consider putting more effort into colour combinations then, maybe starting a topic dedicated to gradients.

Lazur

Re: Iterative art

Postby Lazur » Sat May 09, 2015 11:04 am

Ocal's dailysketch 13 inspiration, some spirograph based doodling. Parameters could be finetuned for the art's sake, but perfect to show a side direction from these geometrical images.

SVG Image

SVG Image

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:05 am

Getting back to the basics, just playing around -with less consistency than the task deserves. Hopefully consistency will build up through experimenting. Work in progress.

What I have learned so far:

• These kind of svg-s load slowly if stacked in a topic alike. Better to use a raster thumbnail image, for best fit, in 600 px wide size.
  • Deviantart is a horrible place. Don't bother with adding appropriate tags, you won't gain more recognition by the effort putting in the organising.
  • Fractals are infinite, resources are limited. It's no use to add exponentially more work for a tiny part.
    3 mm (1,5 mm) "inaccuracy" on 1000 mm is just enough for giclée printing, the canvas stretches alot more.

What else? For vector pdf-s these last images would hardly work. (Used gimp for them.)

Todo list:
  • Find a way to remove gap from between four quarters in a pdf.
  • Try out different detail levels.
  • Experiment with other functions than exponential as well.
  • Play around with different "base tiles".
  • Search for catchy colour schemes.
  • Produce all variants of a setting and put them in a collection.
  • Make designs ready for printing on canwas -extend image area for covering the frame.
  • Design a signature stamp that makes it a must for collectors...

brynn

Postby brynn » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:44 am

Wow, that's a nice one!

It's hard to discern how it was made....although the 1st 2 give hints. You're right about the page loading. It does take 15 - 20 seconds, at this point anyway.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:46 am

From a simple diagonal gradient, 32 of such an image can be built.
Will upload them one by one.

Return to “Work in progress”