Iterative art

Post unfinished work here for feedback and advise.
brynn

Re: Iterative art

Postby brynn » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:35 pm

Ooohh, that looks a lot like this:
Oh rats, no attachments in this board :evil:

Well, maybe it's mostly the color and the egg shape. But anyway, I enjoy fractal art quite a lot. At least, in the past, I have installed a few different fractal programs, where the computer draws it, and the user can search around, zooming in and out and around, and save any parts of the image they happen to like. Some of these programs allow you to apply all sorts of various....I guess color schemes or themes. Just changing these coloring options can sometimes change the whole look of the fractal. In other cases, only 1 or 2 of the color themes even looks like anything decent. I must have thousands of fractal images....of course, they are all raster formats.

I have tried some fractal programs where you don't just search around and find nice views, but you can actually create them yourself, using different formulas. Those are harder for me to control, because I don't understand the math. In some cases, I just randomly change the formula, to get new designs. But I could not begin to just make them from scratch with Inkscape. I wish I knew how, because I lost most of those programs, when they didn't make the leap from XP to Win7. Only 1 actually, but it's really slow (wasn't slow on XP, but just not designed to work on Win7).

I've tried tracing some of them with Trace Bitmap, but they just aren't good enough quality to get a good trace. A couple I've tried to hand trace...but they lose a lot that way too. How do you decide what kind of shape to use, to iterate? And then how to iterate? On some of the earlier images in this thread, I could see how you made them (because you showed how). But these, it's hard to tell.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:49 pm

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:58 pm

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:07 pm

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:20 pm

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:32 pm

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:41 pm

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:49 pm

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:56 pm

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:27 pm

brynn wrote:it's mostly the color and the egg shape

There is nothing more about these square images.
It is a future intention to make it look more circular and add some depth by colours.
For the colouring part, will have to reply to this bug report, so it can turn out to be a feature request to interpolate between gradients?

brynn wrote:How do you decide what kind of shape to use, to iterate? And then how to iterate? On some of the earlier images in this thread, I could see how you made them (because you showed how). But these, it's hard to tell.

It's very straightforward, just duplicate and scale a square with a gradient fill.
These weren't made with clones or tiled clones, because there is a bug I would hit by editing gradient steps on the parent tile by handles which can quickly result in crashing. (Still on 0.48 though.)
How it was made then? Duplicated the base square, scaled it down a bit.
Then selected both, and with bounding box corner handle scaled them down to the smaller square's size -by snapping to bounding box corners option enabled.
Deleted the duplicate square, so there is only 3 objects.
With a few repeats, 17 rectangles were on top of eachother.
(1---->2---->4---->3---->6---->5---->10---->9---->18---->17)
This way the smallest object is around 3mm in width if the base square had a 1000 mm side.
17 may not be the nicest number, but for this construction it is handy.

Then the 17 objects were grouped together, and this was the next "base tile", the construction steps were repeated after rotation and mirroring.
When finished, just made four of this quarter and arranged them in a symmetric pattern.

Not much have changed yet from how I was drawing these 15 years ago in mspaint.
It's a bit of a regression because on the very first image on this topic instead of 17 tiles, the exact exponential function was plotted that is defined by the square's tile corners.

vs.

Speaking of exponential functions, for a circular look it should be dropped.

For placeholder, showing which part to build upon it's good enough, with the linear gradients.

Edit: on tracing a fractal -and bitmaps in general-, illustrator has a much better algorithm.
An example: https://openclipart.org/detail/220252/digital-smoke
-you can search that user for many great autotraces.

wizzle

Postby wizzle » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:11 am

Hey Lazur did you ever finish this extension?

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:49 pm

wizzle wrote:Hey Lazur did you ever finish this extension?

Hi,

sorry for the late answer.
It never happened, and I don't think it will soon. Much easier to construct manually.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:13 am

Another day, another Fibonacci spiral vs. logarythmic spiral with golden ratio scale over a quarter turn.

This time, constructed points of the logarythmic spiral at 1° turns and compared it with a quarter arc (of the same node count).

There is about a 15 mm inaccuracy in between if the base rectangle is 2000 mm wide, meaning a 0,75% error.
Also noted, that the real thing goes "out of the box".
Where the Fibonacci spiral has horizontal and vertical tangents, the logarythmic spiral intersects with the box, and leaves it for about 7,5° turns.

Logarythmic spiral in white, quarter circle with black and 50% opacity over it.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:56 am

Full turns in that last construction, with gradient:

-Linear gradients are stacked next to eachother, meaning 360 fills for one single turn.-

On a side note there is a cairo bug causing black stripes over the image if there are very small gradients involved, so leaved out the tinyest curves in the centre this time.

FullHD wallpaper material:

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:01 pm

All clipped to a 2400 px / 2400 px square, a single and a double spiral:

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:03 pm

Now with a gradient of the whole spectrum.

Steps of the gradient are placed on a logarythmic scale. The svg gradients are rendered with linear interpolation, so it is off a tad bit anyway.

Here is another spiral, with a spectrum fill in reversed direction.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:42 am

Trying to take this to the max. Previously made base tiles for 1 to 36 concentric spirals, with gradients adjusted.

Then the idea was, to add different shades to it, with equal distance on a colour wheel.
Still challenging, though made some grids for it already:

Image,

which both can look satisfying after a bit of tweaking alone:
Image.

Mathematical functions to plot those curves are also available:

hyperbolic pattern 1

pattern 2.

As a side project on colour theory, redraw that old conic gradient, just to see if it is possible to simplify the structure.

Here is the first attempt:

No clipping was used on this one, and it is similar in nature to how those spirals were made.
Just when I thought it would works fine, it turns out failing.
Cairo renders transparency even on overlapping objects, when they are too thin.
It produces that weird hyperbolic pattern, also noticeable on the spirals. Oh my, needs some minor adjustment...

So once again, made another conic gradient, this time from simple squares overlapping.

Theoretically the background should show through a bit in the centre, but one bug solves another -the many objects above that exact coordinate eliminates anti-aliasing, with all its gap.

After so much effort, time for something chill.
A quick playing with that previous image:

Moini

Postby Moini » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:26 am

The first one reminds me of caramel pudding - looks yummy! :D
Did you try the conic gradient mesh in the devel version yet?
Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

Inkscape FAQ - Learning Resources - Website with tutorials (German and English)

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:45 am

No, I haven't. Meshes may take less tricks for fluent rendering (?), but these are made with one lineargradient definition. Thus easier to change the colour at once, and even animating is possible -well, haven't tried that yet either.

Moini

Postby Moini » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:29 am

I tried it - here's a screenshot: http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/ ... cape?atw=1
It's still a little awkward to use - and won't show in browsers, or on OCAL, of course - animation is out of question currently ;)
Something doesn't work? - Keeping an eye on the status bar can save you a lot of time!

~suv

Postby ~suv » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:49 pm

Off topic:
Moini wrote:I tried it - here's a screenshot: http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/ ... cape?atw=1
It's still a little awkward to use - and won't show in browsers, or on OCAL, of course - animation is out of question currently ;)
Just a quick reminder (referring to the answer you gave on stackexchange) - current available 32bit devel builds for Windows won't work for mesh gradients: Inkscape's 32bit devlibs for Windows include an outdated version of cairo (1.11.2) which does not support mesh gradients yet (they don't render on Inkscape's canvas visibly if Inkscape uses cairo < 1.12).

Moini

Postby Moini » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:07 am

Thanks, suv - didn't know that! (it's a pity...) (I remember now I had that problem, too, using 0.91 on an older LM13 laptop... It's now running LM 17 ;))

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:56 am

More grids, and experimenting with anti-aliasing.

These were made as the previous conic gradient, preventing it from much of that interference of semi-transparency-rendering bug.

They are rendered perfect through inkscape, but browsers may fail displaying them right -chrome at least-. At the clipping edges, anti-aliasing lets objects below show through, like if each objects were clipped separately and then stacked on top of eachother, instead of clipping what's on top and removing everything below. (This also messes up the alpha value on the edge and produce less anti-aliasing.)

As much as they render right in inkscape, it can be hardly edited now. Selecting objects with the node tool just doesn't works.

So re-made them from more sector-shaped pieces. This way no clipping is necessary. And as small detailed parts in the middle are left out, interference doesn't appear. They are easy to handle, so probably will use these later on for adding colours.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:53 pm

Recent stuff:

and yet another conic gradient with "spectrum" colours

This one uses less clipping -so edges don't look aliased in chrome-.

z3z

Postby z3z » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:15 am

Wow, you manage to produce some amazing effects! Fantastic work.

Return to “Work in progress”