Iterative art

Post unfinished work here for feedback and advise.
Lazur

Re: Iterative art

Postby Lazur » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:28 am

Thank's!

The next part will be adding appropriate colors and hue values to this grid series. How 256 levels can be split to 1-36 or to 360 even steps... and that the rgb space used hardly matches the impression of the human eye.

Espermaschine

Postby Espermaschine » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:44 am

Your recent posts are all amazing, Lazur !!

Its a pity you are dropping these pieces on our heads without much comment.
They may look simple on a quick glance, but they are all complex and full of technical know how.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:07 am

Thank's!

They may look simple but in reality it is alot of time and effort.
Yet in the drawing process to speed things up the number of unnecessary steps needs to be kept as low as possible.
That is why when I'm trying to make a tutorial there are small parts that won't look logical between two steps.

Would need to break it down to so small parts that alone doesn't make much sense.

But you are right, will try my best at it sometime. Should list all the "articles to be written".

• vector vs. raster format
  • a better take on anti-aliasing then the previous
  • continuous squiggle part 1...x
    (building up from simple quadratic sectors, adding overlapping, redrawing the whole thing on a grid, adding a pattern, adding a gradient, ect.)
  • drawing a trefoil knot
  • drawing a knot with overlapping
  • different ways to draw the same overlapping knot
  • drawing a conic tile
  • drawing a conic tile with overlapping
  • using clipping, grouping and cloning to draw a kaleidoscope-like image
  • drawing a snowflake with the previous method
  • drawing a snowflake the original way (I know, there is already two tutorials for that)
  • drawing a conic gradient of separate tiles, with linear gradients

What else? How to draw a logarythmic spiral with golden ratio, with overlapping tiles and bent gradient and...
Those vector images are all public domain, guess hardly anyone would follow how to fish when they can have unlimited fish. That "plus" is more related to mathematics than simple tricks in the process.

Espermaschine

Postby Espermaschine » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:27 am

Lazur URH wrote:They may look simple but in reality it is alot of time and effort.

Im fully aware of that.

What is think is missing in this forum at the moment is the community effort.
I appreciate your mission to write interesting tutorials, but its all so much more fun when we can learn new things as a group effort.

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:58 am

Espermaschine wrote:
Lazur URH wrote:They may look simple but in reality it is alot of time and effort.

Im fully aware of that.

What is think is missing in this forum at the moment is the community effort.
I appreciate your mission to write interesting tutorials, but its all so much more fun when we can learn new things as a group effort.

That's something I'm trying to provide at Inkscape Community, with the challenges and contests. The challenges are more for learning and skill building, but until we get more participants the contests really do the same thing. The problem is that it's only me and Lazur who participate. As soon as we can get at least a 3rd participant, then we'll use the Ratings in the gallery to choose the image for the front page of the gallery. (I make a special album in the gallery for each contest).

We used to do that here, using the Competition board, but I think some people were scared away with the word "competition". Plus some of the more enthusiastic participants haven't been around for quite some time.

Espermaschine

Postby Espermaschine » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:24 am

brynn wrote:That's something I'm trying to provide at Inkscape Community, with the challenges and contests.

I have to admit im not overly excited by these kind of challenges, because i dont enjoy producing "art" in a given frame, that is out of my interest-zone.
Im doing plenty of stuff at home. 90% of that never sees the light of day.

Also im hardly learning something new by taking a challenge/contest.
Thats just practice.
Might be different, when the topics are different.

For example, there are these "hipster"-logos out there, which are (were) very much in fashion at the moment.

But still, theres is very little to learn, unless it involves some new techniques.

Also i think a challenge is something, when one person posts an effect and the community tries to develop techniques to achieve this effect.

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:46 pm

There's no timeframe for the challenges and contests at IC. Anyone can participate at any time. I'm not good with deadlines either.

Also im hardly learning something new by taking a challenge/contest.

Only if you use the same techniques that you always use. But what if you try to draw it in a different way than you've ever tried before? No one can know what everyone needs or wants to learn next. You have to add some of your own imagination to the challenge.

A challenge could easily be just what you describe. Show an image, and the challenge is to try and recreate it. We haven't done it before, because I just never thought of it. But it sounds fun, and it's a good way to learn new things. I'm always open to new ideas -- both with using Inkscape, and my forum :D We can do it if you want. Would you like to choose an image?

Or what about a challenge that tells you what kind of tool or technique to use? If you've never used that technique before, you learn something new. Although if you already know that technique, you might not learn much. But if you already know that technique, you could just say 'that's boring, I want to try it this other way', and then do that. These challenges are nothing formal or literal. They're just ideas or opportunities that you can use however you want.

For example, the decorated egg challenge. If that's boring for you, decorate your egg in a goth style, or halloween. (oooh, this would be a good time for a Halloween challenge! Do people give out hard boiled, decorated eggs to trick-or-treaters?) You have to add some imagination of your own!

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:17 am

Getting back to the grids.

This one was drawn without overlapping, so gaps appearing here and there. Only one gradient fill was used for the spectrum.
Thinking it over, as the first step of the gradient is the exact same of the last one (0 and 255 hue values), it would take a next step on the right for a better palette.

But as the gradient can be changed too, with "non-continous" gradients it can produce a stepped look well.
For example:

Edit:

Now with overlapping/without rendering gaps.

Espermaschine

Postby Espermaschine » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:37 pm

Cool as usual ! Reminds me of a dragonfly's eye.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:13 am

Thank's!

Now with that extra step added, with rendering gaps:

Image,

and without those gaps:

Image.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:19 pm

Grid with even area rectangles:

With slight overlapping for gapless rendering:

The tile-able layout:

Overlapped:

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:16 am

2222th post in the work in progress section.

Seems appropriate for grids based on 2pow.

Here comes 2*2*2*2 images.

Drawn both with rectangle shaped objects next to eachother and with overlapping.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:34 am

Previous post got quite good on the organizing.

Let's try things in that vein, from the start.
Click on the "thumbnails" for the svg source.

(Something is certainly wrong with image embedding that I cannot help. No matter those images are of the same size, same height/width ratio, chose to generate same wide thumbnails, they appear in random sizes here so decided to use the original thumbnails of 2400 px width that got scaled automatically by the forum on these portrait format images.)

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:57 pm

With the even area layout:

New collection of this series is here.

druban

Postby druban » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:59 pm

It's very relaxing to set this page to auto-scroll up and down over and over after a while when you look away the real world also breaks up into stepped gradients that smooth out slowly...
Your mind is what you think it is.

Janne1956

Postby Janne1956 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:15 pm

Amacing! I love the grey scales even if all of them are a bit hard for me to look at due to my nystagmus. Great work!

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:50 pm

Thank's!

druban wrote:It's very relaxing to set this page to auto-scroll up and down over and over after a while when you look away the real world also breaks up into stepped gradients that smooth out slowly...

Things might get real trippy though this time it wasn't intentional.

Janne1956 wrote:Amacing! I love the grey scales even if all of them are a bit hard for me to look at due to my nystagmus. Great work!

These started out as a "journey" to find colours with even steps in tone from eachother yet the rgb inkscape is capable is lacking.

The yellow, cyan and magenta colours are much brighter than the reds, greens and blues, and probably if the brightness is corrected, the saturation would end up being uneven.

Same applies to the greys. The linear interpolation might function well (mathematically) between tone values in general (if used as a masking object) but a simple white to black gradient would need a bit of gamma correction.

Just a quick example on correcting the tone levels on the "spectrum" gradient:

Note that the values at the bottom 1/3 are looking the most balanced.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:31 am

Back to the squares.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:41 am

Click the images for the original svg sources;
first one is always from separate rectangles next to eachother, every second one is overlapped.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:49 am

-Preserving space for the 1-360 grids, before moving on to the conic grids. Will edit this post later.-

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:11 am

Lazur URH wrote:-Preserving space for the 1-360 grids, before moving on to the conic grids. Will edit this post later.-

Keeping things more consistent, more than half of the previous series was missing.

So let's see that before:

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:49 am

More squares.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:51 am

Hmm need to get back to that "colour theory" concept sometime.

Just finished recently this one:

Based on the Fibonacci spiral proportions, using gradient meshes and new blending modes.
Also the background texture is pulled off straight from this pack.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:16 pm

The proportions of that Fibonacci spiral, based on the golden rectangle doesn't look so natural.
A quick search lead to this article, discussing a much better one.

After more research I came up with these:
Image.

Will try building up shells on them sometime -and figure out a construction that really eliminates the anti-aliasing gap artifacts.
To me it seems the cairo renderer brings out it even more than before.

Lazur

Postby Lazur » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:11 pm

Now, the golden spiral/Fibonacci spiral recreated from tiles at 1 gon turns:

Also, with each tile having a "flat" fill it adds up to a conic gradient look -technically those are the same linear gradient fills, so you can edit the gradient definitions easily for changing the colours.

This one is currently my best go at overlapping the tiles for such a spiral. It shouldn't produce rendering gaps at any zoom levels.
So no more of that slight interference pattern at the centre as before.

Return to “Work in progress”