Remember to also search for the forum before posting.
- Unable to copy and paste between windows
- Things aren't working properly. What can I try first?
- How do I create a path in the same shape as a "T"?
- How do I open or save as filetype … ?
- How do get Inkscape to work on Mac OS X?
- Unable to change font?
- How to create a transparent area? (Clipping)
1. Unable to copy and paste between windows
In Inkscape version 0.46 and prior, you can only copy and paste content between Inkscape windows if all windows were started from the same instance. When you have Inkscape open already, if you select file > new it will create another window which shares the same instance as the original window--you will be able to copy content between these two windows. If you start Inkscape twice from a shortcut (for example) each window will be a separate instance and you will not be able to copy content between them.
This problem will be corrected in 0.47.
2. Things aren't working properly. What can I try first?
If Inkscape is getting errors or not functioning as expected, one of the first things you can try is to delete your Inkscape preferences file:
- Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\Inkscape\preferences.xml
- Windows Vista - C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Inkscape\preferences.xml
3. How do I create a path in the same shape as a "T"?
A vector path has the same constraints as a piece of string in the real world. It can have 2 ends, or no ends (in which case it'll be a loop). If you want to create a "T" then do it the same way as you would with string, either use two paths, or one path to outline the shape of a "T".
4. How do I open or save as filetype AI, or EPS, or WMF, etc?
Refer to viewtopic.php?f=5&t=820
5. How do get Inkscape to work on Mac OS X?
Refer to the wiki article Installing on a Mac and you can find more suggestions from Mac users in viewtopic.php?f=29&t=884
6. Unable to change font?
This is a known bug in 0.46. You can change font via the Text Tool dialogue but not via the drop down menu on the toolbar.
7. How to create a transparent area? (Clipping)
Refer to viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6616