Dillerkind's image pool

Show off your finished Inkscape work.
Buy Inkscape books

Re: Dillerkind's image pool

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:02 am

microUgly
Yay, that's cool... Especially because, to be honest, I didn't have much of a concept while working on the image :roll: In the sketch there was nothing more than the plain character... and the "background" was a rather spontaneous addition after the dude was finished. Didn't have a sketch or stuff for those dust clouds and got to this final background through mere experimentation. My way of working isn't the most efficient one, as I've probably already said before :lol:
Anyways, I like the result and I'm glad you like it, too. Thank you!

RM
No, I don't have an actual palette. Most of the time I'm experimenting with different colors, until I find ones I like and which I think will work together and also suit the current subject. Though there are certain colors that I use more often than others (bright green, light yellow-ish brown tones, beige). A funny thing is that in the past I've been criticized more than once for my odd color sets.. but although I personally wouldn't say that much has changed about the way I'm picking colors, nowadays people seem to like them a lot more. Makes me happy to see that my somewhat inefficient, "intuitive" way of learning and developing my style seems to show positive results :)
... My blog ... << Come visit me :) >> ... My thread ...
Dillerkind

Postby RM. » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:47 am

Ok thanks, i was ready to download a new shiny palette! :lol:
Oh well, if you'll ever release one let me know. :D
I'm just someone who likes to create..
http://iosonor.deviantart.com
RM.

Postby Dillerkind » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:27 pm

Hehehe.. yeah, I shall keep that in mind ;)
Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:04 am

Uh, hey everybody. Been busy with other stuff lately and therefore couldn't post as much stuff as I wanted to. Anyway, here's one I just finished about an hour ago.

I posted a little step-by-step thingie in my blog, and there's a wallpaper pack of this image available as well (just click the image). It's just a close-up of the face, not the entire image.. but hey, it's a wallpaper nonetheless :D Feedback welcome. Thanks for looking.

Cheers...
Dillerkind

Postby brynn » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:18 am

Lol, would that be grunge sponge? Image
Basics:
> Help menu > Tutorials
> a Quick Guide to Inkscape
Manual:
> Inkscape: Guide to a Vector Drawing Program
Tutorials:
> Inkscape Community
Development news
> Google+
Gallery:
> Inkscape Community Gallery
brynn

Postby Matthew_pov » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:01 am

Very good!
Matthew_pov

Postby Dillerkind » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:20 am

brynn
Back in 2006, when I drew the original sketch, I named it SpongeBob BaggyPants... And since I couldn't think of a better title I just went with that. Or maybe GrungeBob BaggyPants? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the comments, you two!
Dillerkind

Postby Loadus » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:35 am

Fantastic work, I had to grab that Spongebob instantly to my favourites when I saw it on deviantART. Good stuff. :)
Loadus

Postby Dillerkind » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:07 pm

Loadus
Wow, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you like my stuff. And I remember reading your name in my messages on dA. Oh, and aren't you one of the Inkscape-Elite group mods? *goes looking...*

----------

Here's my latest pic. I posted the lines a while back in my blog and got to finish it just yesterday. I'm selling prints of it on RB, so if you like it and can spend some money just click the image and you'll get magically transported to the product page. Feedback is much appreciated, too :)

Dillerkind

Postby Suhel28 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:33 pm

hi mate, your work is so awesome.. just had a question if I may ask..

Do you use a Tablet?
Suhel28

Postby brynn » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:56 pm

For some reason, not as much detail as some of your other work? That's an interesting piece of....hardware, tool, or....something. But for some reason, I'm drawn to the tiny feet and mismatched socks, lol :D
Basics:
> Help menu > Tutorials
Manual:
Tutorials:
> Inkscape Community
Development news
> Google+
Gallery:
brynn

Postby Dillerkind » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:22 am

Suhel28
Of course you may ask... And the answer is NO. I tried out a friend's Wacom tablet couple of years ago when he had just bought it. It was fun fiddling around with it... but felt kinda awkward to me. That's mostly because I've only done traditional stuff up until about two years ago, when I started diving deeper into vector art (which is still the only field in digital art I'm working in). It would take me a good amount of time getting used to using a tablet. And right now I do neither have the time for that nor the will to spend money on such hardware. Call me old-fashioned... :D

Oh, and thanks for the compliment!

brynn
The reason for the low level of detail is the size of the sketch I used as the base for this image, which was only a little bit larger than a stamp. Didn't feel like adding more detail so I just went with what was there in the scribbling. That "piece of hardware/tool/something" is a sword... well, at least my style of sword. I like this simple rectangular (and a little over-sized) shape for my blades. After years of drawing characters with really large boots I'm now going through a time of tiny feet. I just like the cute/funny looks of this. And the socks.. erm.. yeah, the "Red Socks of Revolution", that's what was going through my head when I got to the coloring part. But then I also wanted to give her striped footwear. So eventually she ended with a mixed pair of socks :D
Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:30 pm

Eya... me again. Here's a little something I'm working on right now. I hope this will eventually speed up my line-art process without giving up much of the lines' general look. Clicking the image leads you to my current blog post. Don't expect lots of helpful information though... It's simply not there :lol: It's really just the path-along-pattern path-effect. But I'm getting closer to having a set of line-styles that will do the trick, at least for me.

Now you'll probably think "oi, that's no big deal so why is he even bothering us with this boring crap?!?" Well, I'm not one who uses and adapts to new working methods and stuff easily. And I don't like to rely on other people when it comes to learning magical tricks. I rather figure things out on my own. So for me it is indeed a rather important step forward ^^" Erm.. whatever... Full image should follow within the next few days.. hopefully...

[edit]
Uh, just noticed I'm in the Finished Work forum. Hope you guys can forgive me this one little unfinished thing. I don't want to open a new topic elsewhere...
Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:27 pm

Here's something new... Hahaha... This was fun!
I put together a step-by-step as well. Nothing I haven't already said or done before but I was in the mood.. so I just made it. Oh, and this time I also showed why multiplying shadows is sooo much cooler than simply making them semi-transparent :D Just click the image if you're interested.

Cheers
Dillerkind

Postby Simarilius » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:49 am

if your happy playing with the bleeding edge version you may want to take a look at the powerstrokes path effect. its an editable variable width stroke with configurable linecaps. Its for exactly the kind of thing your doing with the pattern on path effect above.
Simarilius

Postby brynn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:45 am

Is there a way to view the pixel meets vector step by step any larger? I can't read the text. I tried zooming the browser, but it makes it too blurry to read. I hope so, because I want to learn to make cool shadows, lol :D (Yes, I did click the thumbnail, but the full size is still too small.)
Basics:
> Help menu > Tutorials
Manual:
Tutorials:
> Inkscape Community
Development news
> Google+
Gallery:
brynn

Postby Dillerkind » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:25 am

Simarilius
Jep, just recently I read about this effect. Seems to be a great step in the right direction. Are there pre-compliled binaries available somewhere or would I have to compile myself? If the latter, than I fear I'm out of luck. For some reason I'm too stupid to compile stuff on my machine. Thanks anyway for the hint :)

brynn
Hehe.. Yeah, I picked a rather smallish font this time. As for the blurriness, have you checked if there's a setting for how zooming is being handled? I'm using Opera and there it's possible to turn of filtering of images. But then, why don't you just download the file and use some kind of image viewer? These often have settings for how image scaling is being handled, too. XnView is nice and free, if you're on Win.
And about those shadows.. erm... There's really not that much to it. I just pointed out the way I like to do this kind of stuff. In short: put shadows on a separate layer, reduce their opacity to some 50% or some such, use same color for all shadows, use multiply blending for the shadow layer. That's it :D

----------

Okay, here's the next one. I was going to make this a shirt on RedBubble but for some reason the site currently doesn't let me upload stuff. Sooo yeah, for now it's just the image. Should anybody be interested in buying one let me know and I'll update with the link later on.
I was digging through old sketch sheets last week. Found a simple little scribbling that I liked, redrew the whole thing, added the sunshine-attitude-finger and inked it. First time using my Multiliners in over a year! And I can tell you, my inking skills are rather limited :D Anyway, the inked sketch can be seen in my current blog post. Just click the image if you're interested...

So long...
Dillerkind

Postby Simarilius » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:06 am

What OS are you on? think we still have nightlies for windows, the modevia link doesnt work anymore, but hte second should:

http://inkscape.org/download/?lang=en
Simarilius

Postby Dillerkind » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:58 am

Ahaha... hell yeah, I wonder why I didn't think about checking the official download page. I'm going to give it a test run soon. Thanks again Simarilius!

----------

[edit]
Quickly getting back to the last image up there.... RedBubble eventually let me upload my stuff again. So the shirt is now available.
Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:46 am

Wow... pretty much about time I posted some new stuff, huh. Hope y'all like... d^___^b

Dillerkind

Postby octosup » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:51 pm

Dillerkind, your work is beautiful and very inspiring. If you still read this thread, can I inquire in your drawing process? I thought that without a tablet the best one could do was geometric shapes or something like that, so reading that you don't use one leaves me in complete wonder about how such complex drawings can be created using only the mouse.
octosup

Postby brynn » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:20 am

I think he has some tutorials in his blog :D
Basics:
> Help menu > Tutorials
Manual:
Tutorials:
> Inkscape Community
Development news
> Google+
Gallery:
brynn

Postby octosup » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:55 am

brynn wrote:I think he has some tutorials in his blog :D

Thank you, the first time I cliked on the link I had failed to notice that the german posts have english translations... so much for my observation skills. I understand that the process starts with sketches by hand which are then scaned and used as a guide.
octosup

Postby brynn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:50 am

I'm sure he'll be around and reply to your message, but he probably doesn't visit here every day.
Basics:
> Help menu > Tutorials
Manual:
Tutorials:
> Inkscape Community
Development news
> Google+
Gallery:
brynn

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:47 am

brynn
That's right.. And even more, he doesn't even get online every single day. Today, in fact, is the first time in a week or so ^^"

octosup
First, thanks for the compliment. And about your question... If there's something specific you want to know just ask. I'm not sure that you'll find the answer very insightful (not to mention that you will most likely find my working process to be rather inefficient and clunky) but I'll try my best :)

----------

Here's my first contribution for this year... Oh, and while I'm talking about it, I wish everybody here a happy new one! I hope that 2012 will bring all of you a lot of creativity and awesomeness :)

Dillerkind

PreviousNext

Return to Finished Inkscape Work