Dillerkind's image pool

Show off your finished Inkscape work.
dorne

Re: Dillerkind's image pool

Postby dorne » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:43 am

I wanted to register and drop by to say thanks for being an inspiration to me! Love your artstyle and for showing me what Inkscape can do.

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:51 am

dorne
Yay, I'm delighted to hear you like my style. And hopefully it'll even inspire you to get more involved with Inkscape and the community here :) Thanks a lot!

----------

And the show goes on. Just finished this piece. Detail shots and outline view in the current blog post. Hope you like it...

... My blog ... << Come visit me :) >> ... My thread ...

Dillerkind

Depth of Field... kinda

Postby Dillerkind » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:25 am

Maybe this is useful to somebody. It's a way to add a depth-of-field kind of effect to an image. It's very basic, although the way I split things up into several layers and used my infamous cloning technique might at first make things appear more complicated than they actually are :D Depending on the image and the desired effect you should play with blur strengths (see the filter editor), opacity (masks) and stuff or even make the whole thing more complex and sexy by adding different levels or "blurriness". I just wanted to keep this example simple and straight-forward. Explanations inside the svg (click the image).

ragstian

Postby ragstian » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:44 am

Hi.

Thanks so much for making this and sharing the SVG file. Really appreciated!!
Will study and try the "technique".

Tiled Clones has been a "hot" subject on the forum over the last few days,
can you let us in on your "infamous cloning technique"?
(A link would be nice if it's described elsewhere.)

Love your drawing style - Keep'em coming!
Last edited by ragstian on Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good Luck!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
RGDS
Ragnar

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:36 pm

Hey Ragnar..

With "infamous cloning technique" I mean the process of cloning (groups of) things and then use the clones to mask other things. This may sound confusing at first and I guess it's at least a little bit odd indeed :D Though I've found this to be a neat way to have adjustable and more complex masks as opposed to using a single object directly as mask. While it would be possible to adjust the shape of the mask, it's not possible to adjust gradients the mask can have as fill, at least as far as I know. Hence you'd usually need to release the mask, adjust the gradient and set the mask again. In the above example I simply used this method in order to allow people to adjust the mask (actually the layer the cloned mask is linked to) of the blurred overlay image and immediately see the results. If you haven't seen it yet, I posted another example dealing with exactly this subject a few posts back.

So, I'm afraid I can't contribute much to the tiled clones problem. But maybe this will be of use in other areas nonetheless.

Thanks for the compliment.. and yes, I'll definitely keep'em coming ;)

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:56 pm

Hey gang. Just stopping by to post my latest piece... Built from the ground up in Inkscape, i.e. no real sketch was done beforehand... Yep, it's very inefficient when you don't have a tablet to actually draw things :D. Texture was applied to the exported png, as well as color adjustments. An alternative color version can be seen in the latest blog post. Hope y'all like.

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:54 am

Tablet or no tablet - that is not the question - since this one looks great! Well, and others as well ,)

Regarding the colors..
Did you tried to combine background from one and the girl from another? I`d go for a subtle background and her to be more prominent.

On a side note..
Your treatment of these floating fabrics is phenomenal. I`m quite sure I`ll recognize it whenever or wherever.
:tool_zoom: <<< click! - but, those with a cheaper tickets should go this way >>> :!:

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:00 am

You mean using a different background with this character? You know, most of my backgrounds get drawn AFTER the character is done. I don't plan the whole scene ahead, sometimes not even the entire character (clothing, weaponry, etc). I just try to think of something that more or less fits the char. Sometimes I go with something a little more abstract, to simply fill the empty space. This can be something really simple, like a colored rectangle, a rock platform or what I did in the other one with the ponytail girl above. And sometimes I try to make a scene of which the character is really a part of (like in this last one). Hence I didn't want her to stick out more... Or did I get your question wrong?

Concerning the side note... haha, yeah I love these floating things. Most times they don't serve a specific purpose but they look pretty. Square-edged swirly bands for the win :)

As always, thanks a lot for your comment!

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:32 am

I`m aware of your affinity toward subtle tonal color charts but obviously I can`t manage to keep comments regarding that matter for my self ,) I`ll try, I promise.
:tool_zoom: <<< click! - but, those with a cheaper tickets should go this way >>> :!:

Johannski

Postby Johannski » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:25 am

Oh the background turned out great again! I can only agree with Maestral on the swirly bands, they are really cool. What I don't like that much:
- I can't really tell her emotion, as well as what gesture she is doing with her hand. Is it a peace/victory sign? Then I think the thumb should touch the ring finger and the little finger. This way it looks a bit like the gesture for benediction... As in this image.
- I got the feeling like she will loose her pants any second, they seem a bit too large, and her hips don't look large enough to support those pants.
- With this resolution I can't tell whether her mouth is opened or closed. I zoomed in, and I guess it is open. This was kind of irritating for me.

Otherwise, I want to point out, that I really like the post editing you did. It does not look like a typical inkscape/vector image.
Once again, this is critique on a high level, the artwork is really good, those were just small things I noticed.

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:12 am

Maestral
I simply like to reply to people's comments and feedback, which I guess might at times look like I'm overly defending myself/my work. If you've got something to say, then say it and don't keep it to yourself. It's not that criticism would give me unbearable headaches or make me quit drawing or something. Constructive feedback is always welcome :)

Johannski
Haha, that silly gesture.. Truth is, if I was to make that pic again, I'd definitely go for a different gesture. No, it wasn't really supposed to be a peace/victory; actually I didn't have a specific sign in mind. Somebody on Deviantart said it looked like the hand of a Buddha... Guess they were as right as you are with your comparison.

The loose pants... Now that was indeed intended. Yes, it's highly unlikely that they'd stay in place if this was a real life setting. But it's not.. I've drawn characters with that sort of pants before. It's really just a funny little thing I like, just like ridiculously large blades in the hands of not-too-muscular girls or (mostly in the past) over-sized gloves and stuff.

This detail pic should clear the "mouth open or close" question:

The post-work... Yeah, great fun to do and it can add a lot to roughen things up a bit, make the result look less smooth, clean and "plastic-like". I was thinking that maybe I'd overdone it with the overlay texture this time but so far nobody has complained xD

Thanks a ton for your feedback! It's much appreciated.

----------

Here's something simple I made in between some other pieces. A grumpy little hombre...

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:44 am

Thanks for your explication, but I had no doubts about your stands - it was just about unnecessary repetitive.
And this hombre... looks like he just had a drink in the Fiffy Twister ,)

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:39 am

Eh, sorry if I'm slow or uncool or something.. but what is a/the Fiffy Twister?

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:08 am

heheh... mea culpa .... just an unsuccessful attempt of being polite

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:47 am

Ahh, the Titty Twister... :D

And speaking of titties *cough* Here's a new piece. Or at least part of it. The complete pic contains boobs. For those who don't mind, simply click the image to get to the current blog post with the full image. Otherwise don't click it ;D

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:40 am

Here's a new piece. I used only a few gradients this time, most of the shading was done the old-fashioned way (well, the way I used to draw these things in my early vector days) with flat colors. As for the background, at some point I was considering something even simpler - mostly just a white plane with few cracks or some such. Didn't like it though and so went with something different, yet still very simple.

I made two variants, this one and a messy/bloody one. The other one, the (crappy) sketch and a detail shot can be seen in my blog.

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:17 pm

Next one, a commissioned piece of Bonnie Rockwaller from the TV animation Kim Possible. It's a slightly bigger png than usual, not showing entirely here in the forum. Hence I'm using a scaled down version. Actual resolution in the current blog post.

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:58 pm

Another commissioned piece... A character named Star Butterfly, from the Disney Channel series Star vs. the Forces of Evil.

Johannski

Postby Johannski » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:46 am

Hey Dillerkind,

Wow, you're doing a lot of stuff! Here are a few of my thoughts:
Bonnie: I somehow don't really like the Bonnie Rockwaller image. I think it is the coloring of the image, I think those dark colors don't work that well. Maybe it's because of the pretty bright and saturated red outlines, I'm not quite sure. The gradients on her body look really good, but here I don't like the patchy (Fleckig) texture on her skin. I wonder if you started off with a brighter picture and then changed it to darker colors?

Butterfly: This one turned out amazing. I love the conversion of her comic style to your style. I think you did a far better job than with Bonnie (Even though I have to admit that I never watched Star vs. the evil force, I just looked up some reference pictures). Also the picture has a really nice motion. Her hair is amazingly detailed and helps the motion a lot. I'm also impressed by the level f detail you put into her hair and clothing. The only thing that I don't like that much are her hands: they seem a bit large and her finger nails look kind of strange, I think the reddish part of them is a bit too red. Oh and one other thing: The outlines of the background are a bit fat... did you scale it up after you made it?

Really cool work and I'm glad to see that you get some money from it :)
Last edited by Johannski on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:06 am

Heya J!

Bonnie... The overall colors turned out darker than I had planned. I applied the texture and some color correction to the exported png and it looked quite fine on my main screen. The problem is that my screen is kinda bright and when I looked at the image on my internet machine's screen it looked somewhat different, i.e. darker. The client liked the dark version though, and therefore I simply went with this. In some images I add texture(s) to the background only, here however it was applied to the entire image. Hence the somewhat cloudy look.

Star... The entire fingers are red, not just the nails. I guess this, in combination with the bright white tips of the nails and the enclosing lines makes for the strange look you mentioned. And yes, the hands are relatively big. This however was intended... but might not suit everybody's taste, of course. The background wasn't scaled up. The lines are handmade like everything else. Since the bg objects are bigger and less detailed than the character and because of the rather simplified comic look, I made the lines a bit thicker. I thought it looked a bit better than with thinner lines.. But again, just my humble opinion.

Btw. you can watch a few episodes of the show here. That's what I did in order to get some reference pics.

Thanks a lot for your comment! Always a pleasure hearing from you :)

----------

And here's another small teaser. I started doing the line-work via powerstroke in the current Inkscape version.. but soon went back to my usual handmade-filled-shapes way of making the lines. It's time-consuming but still I feel more comfortable with this than with the somewhat indirect way of the powerstroke ^^;

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon May 11, 2015 8:06 pm

Later than anticipated but here it is, the finished piece from the teaser in the post above. Rendering the png took hours again... Should have applied the texture and blur externally. Seems I never learn from past mistakes... A little side-by-side from sketch to final of the character can be seen in my latest blog post. Hope y'all like..

----------

Random side-note.. I wanted to send out a big THANK YOU GUYS!! for the 75k views I just got on this little thread. I hope the stream of regular and random visitors won't stop anytime soon d^__^b

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Sat May 23, 2015 6:18 pm

Here's a new one. No girl in skimpy clothes this time, for variety's sake :D It's part successor, part update to an old pencil drawing of mine. Rough sketch-to-final progress and the old drawing can be seen in my blog.

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Mon May 25, 2015 5:34 am

In a way, you`ve completed the round on this page, with an equally delicate, armed and blurred scene ,)
Full sails!

Dillerkind

Postby Dillerkind » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:01 pm

Hehe, full sails indeed... although I have to admit that at the present time the wind is blowing for my traditional sails. I recently added some ink+pencil stuff to my blog, if you're interested. Going to pick up Inkscape again soon. Thanks mate!

jabiertxof

Postby jabiertxof » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:23 am

Hi, every time i surf to your pool get more impessive. Thanks for share!
Another thing, Have you used de development version of inkscape? I want to get your impression of the new BSpline tool on it.
All the best, Jabier.

Return to “Finished Inkscape Work”