error msg when saving

Post questions on how to use or achieve an effect in Inkscape.
glasslady

error msg when saving

Postby glasslady » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:00 pm

When I save a file I get an error message, pic attached. the file does save, but this box is here, and it needs to be clicked 5 or 6 times before it disappears. What's happening? This never happened before.
Attachments
inkscape error.PNG
inkscape error.PNG (18.29 KiB) Viewed 2958 times

ragstian

Re: error msg when saving

Postby ragstian » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:29 pm

Hi.

This "patch" will turn off the errormessages;

Start the registry editor by typing regedit in the start-Cmd field.

Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CurrentControlSet - Control - Windows
Click on the ErrorMode key - Change the value from 0 to 2.
Exit the registry editor.

Restart the machine.
Good Luck!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
RGDS
Ragnar

brynn

Postby brynn » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:48 pm

Hi Ragnar and glasslady,
Ragnar, can you give us any info why this is happening? It seems like editing the registry is a bit drastic, and possibly risky, if the person isn't sure what they're doing. It sounds like you must have some idea what's causing it?

glasslady

Postby glasslady » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:59 pm

I am not sure about how to do this - so if risky, I'd rather not. My skills are basic. I've been using inkscape for over a year and this is the first day I'm seeing this msg. It is appearing each time I save.

brynn

Postby brynn » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:05 am

And you're not actually trying to save to a disc?

Maybe Ragnar can give us some more info. Editing the registry is risky, in my opinion, for people who are unsure what they're doing, because the registry, as far as I understand, is in the very heart of the operating system, and a single simple mistake could make your computer unusable in a flash.

But if I understand what the problem is, and there's no other way to fix the problem, and I have very clear instructions, I don't mind editing the registry at all. It's not really hard to do, as long as you have very clear instructions -- really just maybe 5 or 6 clicks altogether, depending on where the place is in the registry that you need to locate.

glasslady

Postby glasslady » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:26 am

The files do save to the hard drive. I am not trying to save to a disk. The error window pops up when I do a save. The program saves and gives the error msg at the same time.

I don't think it's a good idea for me to do something that could effect the OS since I don't know anything about it - not even what registry is.

Uktrunie

Postby Uktrunie » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:40 am

If you like, here's a file that will do it for you: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lm0yba4u9jzlpd1/fix.reg?dl=0

Download it and just double click and accept (it will ask for permissions). If you want to see what's inside the file, it's a text file so you can open it with any text editor, but essentially is this:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows]
"ErrorMode"=dword:00000002

glasslady

Postby glasslady » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:01 am

Thanks for the offer, but I'm wary of something that will automatically make changes to my computer - nothing personal. Any thoughts about why this msg began appearing when it hasn't for over a year?

Uktrunie

Postby Uktrunie » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:19 pm

As far as I can tell from googling it, it's a Windows bug and it's not specific to Inkscape as it can affect other software as well, but we should wait for ragstian who probably knows what's exactly going on.

glasslady wrote:Thanks for the offer, but I'm wary of something that will automatically make changes to my computer - nothing personal.

Don't worry. :D

Maestral

Postby Maestral » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:05 pm

^ +1

yt video < In the meanwhile, this should bring an explanation.
As explained in the video, it`s user related so I presume it would be difficult to pinpoint the exact reason without the glasslady`s input on installing of Inkscape, using files from or even saving file(s) on removable usb or remote drives.
:tool_zoom: <<< click! - but, those with a cheaper tickets should go this way >>> :!:

glasslady

Postby glasslady » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:32 am

I'll check out the video. I save only to the hard drive. Inkscape was installed from inkscape's website, by clicking on the download link and just letting it do its thing.

The main thing now is --- the error msg disappeared! May it never re-appear! Thanks all for your thoughts.

brynn

Postby brynn » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:46 am

Hah! Awesome!

Return to “Help with using Inkscape”